2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Winner

Timberwolves in 4
12%
Timberwolves in 5
14%
Timberwolves in 6
20%
Timberwolves in 7
12%
Suns in 4
3%
Suns in 5
5%
Suns in 6
26%
Suns in 7
9%

Total votes: 292

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,105

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#1201 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,558

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#1202 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Wolves absolutely hit a home run in the 2020 draft, they got Ant #1 which was the right pick, and then at 28 they get Jaden McDaniels. I really think if Mavs had drafted McDaniels over Josh Green they would have all the pieces right now to win a championship, but the Mavs usually screw it up outside of Luka and Dirk (both Donnie Nelson picks, who they fired).

Gerson Rosas who is now with the Knicks does not get the credit he deserves for building the amazing foundation of this team. Tim Conelly gets all the credit and Tim has been great but Gerson did half the work. He picked Ant, he took Jaden, he moved Wiggins contract which at the time, seemed impossible. He found and hired Chris Finch when most people had no clue who he was. Gerson is a damn genius architect.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,554

Post#1203 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Phoenix has looked completely unable to crack the T-Wolves defense so far, and the size problem won't be going away.

But... let's wait to see Phoenix at home before we start calling this series over. Continuing to hold Phoenix under 100 points is not automatic. The offensive firepower is there so if they find a crack they could get back in this series.

Series hasn't started until someone loses at home.

The series is over in my mind.

Phoenix might win a game or two, but as Dane Moore and Kyle Theige talked about postgame on the local podcast, I'm not sure what other wrinkles Phoenix can add to the gameplan that would completely derail us. Booker and/or Durant and/or Beal can go nuclear and shoot their way to taking a game, but honestly I think that's their best opportunity. Especially with Grayson Allen likely down and out.

We won Game 1 with Mike Conley and Naz Reid struggling. Last night, Towns, Ant, Reid, etc. didn't do a whole lot. And still we won both convincingly. The biggest worry is that Towns and Edwards start to play with their food, but I don't see Gobert and Conley allowing it to go very far.

I don't believe any series can be over after 2 games. I agree that Phoenix has this size deficit that there is simply nothing they can do about. The stuff they used to beat us in the regular season has been effectively wiped out with only slight adjustments to our base defense.

But I'm still waiting to see if Phoenix can muster something at home. We almost always think a series is over after the home team goes up 2-0.

Plus like... c'mon we're Timberwolves fans. We can never feel safe from something ridiculous happening. I'm just sitting here praying for no wall punches, teammate punches, badly timed injuries, or off-court drama to get in the way of the best season we've had since 2004.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,404

Post#1204 » by mkot » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Klomp wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Phoenix has looked completely unable to crack the T-Wolves defense so far, and the size problem won't be going away.

But... let's wait to see Phoenix at home before we start calling this series over. Continuing to hold Phoenix under 100 points is not automatic. The offensive firepower is there so if they find a crack they could get back in this series.

Series hasn't started until someone loses at home.

The series is over in my mind.

Phoenix might win a game or two, but as Dane Moore and Kyle Theige talked about postgame on the local podcast, I'm not sure what other wrinkles Phoenix can add to the gameplan that would completely derail us. Booker and/or Durant and/or Beal can go nuclear and shoot their way to taking a game, but honestly I think that's their best opportunity. Especially with Grayson Allen likely down and out.

We won Game 1 with Mike Conley and Naz Reid struggling. Last night, Towns, Ant, Reid, etc. didn't do a whole lot. And still we won both convincingly. The biggest worry is that Towns and Edwards start to play with their food, but I don't see Gobert and Conley allowing it to go very far.

I don't believe any series can be over after 2 games. I agree that Phoenix has this size deficit that there is simply nothing they can do about. The stuff they used to beat us in the regular season has been effectively wiped out with only slight adjustments to our base defense.

But I'm still waiting to see if Phoenix can muster something at home. We almost always think a series is over after the home team goes up 2-0.

Have you seen their post game press? To me, they look done, they don't look like a team that believe they can protect home court and make it a 3 game series. This is over.

My original prediction is Wolves in 6, looks more like Wolves in 4 or 5 if lucky.
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,375

Post#1205 » by Dirk » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm

Suns fans have to feel more hopeful seeing Woves fans already assume the series as over.

60/21/10
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,539

Post#1206 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 pm

Dirk wrote:Suns fans have to feel more hopeful seeing Woves fans already assume the series as over.

Yeah, the more people I hear say it's over, the better. Booker knows VERY well being up 2-0 means NOTHING.

lol...I don't have a lot of hope though.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1207 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:37 pm

Calinks wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Wolves absolutely hit a home run in the 2020 draft, they got Ant #1 which was the right pick, and then at 28 they get Jaden McDaniels. I really think if Mavs had drafted McDaniels over Josh Green they would have all the pieces right now to win a championship, but the Mavs usually screw it up outside of Luka and Dirk (both Donnie Nelson picks, who they fired).

Gerson Rosas who is now with the Knicks does not get the credit he deserves for building the amazing foundation of this team. Tim Conelly gets all the credit and Tim has been great but Gerson did half the work. He picked Ant, he took Jaden, he moved Wiggins contract which at the time, seemed impossible. He found and hired Chris Finch when most people had no clue who he was. Gerson is a damn genius architect.

Semantically, I wouldn't say Rosas laid the foundation, because the foundation of this group is actually represented to me by Gobert and Conley. Just solid role players who usually provide consistent performance and leadership.

There were parts of the house remodeled by Rosas that were certainly very impressive, but the foundation below was shaky. But Connelly saw the 2021 group had flashes but was built on shaky ground. That's why he lifted the remodeled house so he could rebuild the foundation from Towns and Russell to Gobert and Conley, which then makes the flashy parts of the interior like Ant look even more impressive.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1208 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:I don't believe any series can be over after 2 games. I agree that Phoenix has this size deficit that there is simply nothing they can do about. The stuff they used to beat us in the regular season has been effectively wiped out with only slight adjustments to our base defense.

Plus like... c'mon we're Timberwolves fans. We can never feel safe from something ridiculous happening. I'm just sitting here praying for no wall punches, teammate punches, badly timed injuries, or off-court drama to get in the way of the best season we've had since 2004.

Everything you say makes 100% sense.

But it's interesting looking at the three Suns wins.
Game 1: Everyone points to how Durant and Booker scored 62 on 37 shots with Beal out, but they also got 54 points on 32 shots from Grayson Allen (likely out?), Eric Gordon, Drew Eubanks and Josh Okogie. And Minnesota's sixth man that night was Shake Milton.

Game 2: This was Minnesota's best regular season performance of the series, but Phoenix won in large point to a game-high 23 points from Grayson Allen. Nurkic also played reasonably well with 11 points and 15 rebounds. Not much output from the bench.

Game 3: Largely a vanilla game plan from Minnesota, but the Suns were again carried by the starting lineup. Allen scored 20 points and Beal hit 6 3s on his way to 36 points.

One major theme is Grayson Allen. Looking at his personal splits, he's really a huge barometer between wins and losses for Phoenix. His health is also a big factor in my personal optimism about the series. We don't need to shut him down and win every game. Phoenix needs to win four out of five. I just can't see it at this point.

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,539

Post#1209 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:48 pm

Klomp wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:I don't believe any series can be over after 2 games. I agree that Phoenix has this size deficit that there is simply nothing they can do about. The stuff they used to beat us in the regular season has been effectively wiped out with only slight adjustments to our base defense.

Game 1: Everyone points to how Durant and Booker scored 62 on 37 shots with Beal out, but they also got 54 points on 32 shots from Grayson Allen (likely out?), Eric Gordon, Drew Eubanks and Josh Okogie. And Minnesota's sixth man that night was Shake Milton.

Game 2: This was Minnesota's best regular season performance of the series, but Phoenix won in large point to a game-high 23 points from Grayson Allen. Nurkic also played reasonably well with 11 points and 15 rebounds. Not much output from the bench.

Game 3: Largely a vanilla game plan from Minnesota, but the Suns were again carried by the starting lineup. Allen scored 20 points and Beal hit 6 3s on his way to 36 points.

One major theme is Grayson Allen. Looking at his personal splits, he's really a huge barometer between wins and losses for Phoenix. His health is also a big factor in my personal optimism about the series. We don't need to shut him down and win every game. Phoenix needs to win four out of five. I just can't see it at this point.

Yeah, I've said a number of times on the Suns forum that Allen is personally responsible for at least 5 of the Suns wins. If he goes like 5-6 or 7-10 from 3, and they win by 7 or 8, it usually comes down to shooting well which was usually carried by him. Interesting enough, most of the time, KD, Book and Beal don't shoot/make a lot of 3s. Seems like it was Allen and then maybe Royce/Gordon but without Allen, the other two are hot and cold. They need the other guys to step up.

Bol also had some good minutes for us, and given his length and ability to hit 3s as well, I don't know why they don't at least try him some.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1210 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:53 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Bol also had some good minutes for us, and given his length and ability to hit 3s as well, I don't know why they don't at least try him some.

Between Game 1 and Game 2, he was the guy I thought might be an adjustment Phoenix might make.

mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,404

Post#1211 » by mkot » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Bol also had some good minutes for us, and given his length and ability to hit 3s as well, I don't know why they don't at least try him some.

He is a massive liability on the other end. He is not a serious playoff player let alone making an impact. I said the same thing about Yuta Watanabe when we signed him, and he is likely going back to Japan next season.
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1212 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:04 am

Magoose
Junior
And1: 141

Post#1213 » by Magoose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:36 am

Dirk wrote:Suns fans have to feel more hopeful seeing Woves fans already assume the series as over.

I am seeing mostly "neutral" posters assuming this series is over. Most of my fellow Wolves fans are still being very reluctant to count the chickens before they hatch and rightfully so because this franchise was probably built on an ancient indian cemetary.

So we would be ill-advised to underestimate the Suns especially with homecourt advantage. At least we better make sure we win one on the road.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#1214 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 pm

Klomp wrote:

Between Game 1 and Game 2, he was the guy I thought might be an adjustment Phoenix might make.

yeah but Vogel's an idiot. Bol won't be playing. Nor Thad Young for that matter
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,178

Post#1215 » by KokoKaizer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:39 pm

spanishninja wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Wow, if you need Bol in order to win, you're quite sure to be delusional
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,409

Post#1216 » by Jimmy Recard » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:48 pm

Klomp wrote:

Thanks for sharing, great video. This T-wolves team is scary defensively.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,554

Post#1217 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:34 pm

Klomp wrote:

Don't get me wrong, the T-Wolves have my full faith in this matchup. As a matter of principle I always wait for that road game game to feel I have a complete grasp on the realistic possibilities in a series.

Minnesota had zero interest in letting shooters like Grayson Allen be their undoing. It was pretty clear from game 1 that the Wolves shifted their defense specifically to avoid the looks the Grayson and Beal got in the regular season. The crazy thing is... they made it look so easy, and they did it without giving up something somewhere else. They still make life hard on Booker and Durant, and don't give up too may slips into the paint for the Suns bigs.

It's been a defensive masterclass over the first 2 games. Usually a defense gets an edge by overplaying certain actions at the expense of others. The Wolves have been like: nahh we've got the personnel to guard ALL of it. We're going to overload screen actions without sacrificing rim protection, and we'll never give you a particularly juicy matchup to attack.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#1218 » by spanishninja » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:58 pm

KokoKaizer wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
Klomp wrote:Between Game 1 and Game 2, he was the guy I thought might be an adjustment Phoenix might make.

if you actually know things, you will be aware that he's actually been a key piece for us off the bench. Sure he's not the main difference maker but right now we need all the help we can get. Most notably, he's not Eubanks, already a plus.
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,178

Post#1219 » by KokoKaizer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 pm

spanishninja wrote:
KokoKaizer wrote:
spanishninja wrote:

if you actually know things, you will be aware that he's actually been a key piece for us off the bench. Sure he's not the main difference maker but right now we need all the help we can get. Most notably, he's not Eubanks, already a plus.

Well, that's a problem for you then... I saw plenty of him as a Magic fan and, yes he can have some impressive plays but it follows with low IQ one more than often.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,838

Post#1220 » by Jadoogar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:23 pm

Calinks wrote:

even the Edwards pick doesn't get enough credit. Normally there is a consensus #1 pick but with the Covid year and weak class overall, there was no consensus number 1. Many people had Lamelo or Wiseman at #1. Shout out to them for identifying the best player in a very weird year.

Return to The General Board