2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Winner

Timberwolves in 4
12%
Timberwolves in 5
14%
Timberwolves in 6
20%
Timberwolves in 7
12%
Suns in 4
3%
Suns in 5
5%
Suns in 6
26%
Suns in 7
9%

Total votes: 292

Rubio9Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#1181 » by Rubio9Guy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:49 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Phoenix has looked completely unable to crack the T-Wolves defense so far, and the size problem won't be going away.

But... let's wait to see Phoenix at home before we start calling this series over. Continuing to hold Phoenix under 100 points is not automatic. The offensive firepower is there so if they find a crack they could get back in this series.

Series hasn't started until someone loses at home.

Yup. KD, Booker and Beal were 18 of 45 from the field and 3 of 12 from three. I wouldn't count on that continuing. This could look very different back in Phoenix.

I would, to be honest. Sure, they will probably get hot at some point.

But this isn't like they are missing all wide open shots. Minnesota's defense is impacting them a ton.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,438

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #3 Minnesota Timberwolves vs. #6 Phoenix Suns (MIN leads 2-0) 

Post#1182 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:09 pm

Wolves absolutely hit a home run in the 2020 draft, they got Ant #1 which was the right pick, and then at 28 they get Jaden McDaniels. I really think if Mavs had drafted McDaniels over Josh Green they would have all the pieces right now to win a championship, but the Mavs usually screw it up outside of Luka and Dirk (both Donnie Nelson picks, who they fired).
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,554

Post#1183 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:09 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:Phoenix has looked completely unable to crack the T-Wolves defense so far, and the size problem won't be going away.

But... let's wait to see Phoenix at home before we start calling this series over. Continuing to hold Phoenix under 100 points is not automatic. The offensive firepower is there so if they find a crack they could get back in this series.

Yup. KD, Booker and Beal were 18 of 45 from the field and 3 of 12 from three. I wouldn't count on that continuing. This could look very different back in Phoenix.

I mean it's not like they were getting nice looks and missing. They shot poorly because Minnesota took a lot off the table. Booker in particular throughout 2 games looked completely unable to find any of his favorite looks. Minnesota wants to harass the stars AND limit good looks from 3, and so far they've been up to that task.

But I believe in Vogel finding a way to spring Booker free at some point in the series. Even if Minnesota goes into Phoenix and wins, it's really hard to picture playing 4-7 games and Booker not exploding at some point. Durant is more stable. You can't completely take away Durant stuff, you just harass him into poor efficiency if you can. Beal, I'm almost overlooking as closer to Grayson and Eric Gordon than he is to Booker/Durant. Maybe he'll make me look dumb in game 3 for thinking that.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,833

Post#1184 » by shrink » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Wolves absolutely hit a home run in the 2020 draft, they got Ant #1 which was the right pick, and then at 28 they get Jaden McDaniels.

And Naz Reid was an undrafted signee.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#1185 » by spanishninja » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:10 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

I mean it's not like they were getting nice looks and missing. They shot poorly because Minnesota took a lot off the table. Booker in particular throughout 2 games looked completely unable to find any of his favorite looks. Minnesota wants to harass the stars AND limit good looks from 3, and so far they've been up to that task.

But I believe in Vogel finding a way to spring Booker free at some point in the series. Even if Minnesota goes into Phoenix and wins, it's really hard to picture playing 4-7 games and Booker not exploding at some point. Durant is more stable. You can't completely take away Durant stuff, you just harass him into poor efficiency if you can. Beal, I'm almost overlooking as closer to Grayson and Eric Gordon than he is to Booker/Durant. Maybe he'll make me look dumb in game 3 for thinking that.

we had our chance with KAT in foul trouble in the first half last night. still wasn't able to get anything done offensively. Once KAT could play again of course we got run off the court.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,105

Post#1186 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:25 pm

The series is over in my mind.

Phoenix might win a game or two, but as Dane Moore and Kyle Theige talked about postgame on the local podcast, I'm not sure what other wrinkles Phoenix can add to the gameplan that would completely derail us. Booker and/or Durant and/or Beal can go nuclear and shoot their way to taking a game, but honestly I think that's their best opportunity. Especially with Grayson Allen likely down and out.

We won Game 1 with Mike Conley and Naz Reid struggling. Last night, Towns, Ant, Reid, etc. didn't do a whole lot. And still we won both convincingly. The biggest worry is that Towns and Edwards start to play with their food, but I don't see Gobert and Conley allowing it to go very far.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#1187 » by spanishninja » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 pm

Klomp wrote:

The series is over in my mind.

Phoenix might win a game or two, but as Dane Moore and Kyle Theige talked about postgame on the local podcast, I'm not sure what other wrinkles Phoenix can add to the gameplan that would completely derail us. Booker and/or Durant and/or Beal can go nuclear and shoot their way to taking a game, but honestly I think that's their best opportunity. Especially with Grayson Allen likely down and out.

We won Game 1 with Mike Conley and Naz Reid struggling. Last night, Towns, Ant, Reid, etc. didn't do a whole lot. And still we won both convincingly. The biggest worry is that Towns and Edwards start to play with their food, but I don't see Gobert and Conley allowing it to go very far.

based on the KD and Booker interviews last night, the only remaining focus now is to max ticket sales for games 3 and 4, you know, the last two games of the season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1188 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1189 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1190 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:50 pm

At what point do we talk about what has happened to the Suns on Matt Ishbia's watch? He took over with the team at 19-12 and in 3rd place in the West in 2022-23, dismantling the team after 1.5 months on the job and finishing the remainder of the season 26-25. This year, they finish a roller-coaster season in 6th place in the West, but things aren't looking good in a first round series and they are in complete cap hell.

Can they recover from this?

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1191 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm

Read on Twitter

DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,116

Post#1192 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:11 pm

The gap between these two on defense is huge. Add in the fact that Phoenix has 3 players with duplicative skill sets, and this series is done. Instead of Beal what the Suns needed was a point guard who could also play strong perimeter defense.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,933

Post#1193 » by life_saver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 pm

As a Wolves fan, I am not comfortable with some of these media guys saying the series is over..if Wolves win G3, then yes I'd agree but not right now. I remember how people wrote off Bucks in 2021 after they went down 0-2 vs Nets but they ended up winning the series...also maybe because since I never saw a Wolves team win a playoff series (was too young in 2004), I won't be comfortable until they are up by 40 points in G4. This team also has had bad habit of blowing huge leads so far this season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1194 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:32 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:The gap between these two on defense is huge. Add in the fact that Phoenix has 3 players with duplicative skill sets, and this series is done. Instead of Beal what the Suns needed was a point guard who could also play strong perimeter defense.

Like a Mike Conley perhaps?

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1195 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:39 pm

life_saver wrote:As a Wolves fan, I am not comfortable with some of these media guys saying the series is over..if Wolves win G3, then yes I'd agree but not right now. I remember how people wrote off Bucks in 2021 after they went down 0-2 vs Nets but they ended up winning the series...also maybe because since I never saw a Wolves team win a playoff series (was too young in 2004), I won't be comfortable until they are up by 40 points in G4. This team also has had bad habit of blowing huge leads so far this season.

As a lifelong Minnesotan, I absolutely get where you are coming from. But it's completely different because we're talking about Minnesota's defense here.

Those Bucks were held to 86 points in Game 2 because Holiday and Middleton shot a combined 13-42 (.309) against a Nets starting lineup that included "defensive savants" Kyrie Irving, James Harden and Kevin Durant, Joe Harris and Blake Griffin. Do you really think that kind of defensive performance was repeatable by that group?

wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,005

Post#1196 » by wolves_89 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:
schnakenpopanz wrote:and hats off to the t-wolves.
they have a formidable supporting cast in Reid, NAW, Anderson and Conley
they earned their status and will have a huge match up vs the nuggets

I wouldn't be so quick to list Anderson.

Last year, 22-23, he was FANTASTIC but this year he has been pretty meh at best. He is absolutely capable but he seemingly fell off a cliff vs. What he was last year.

He still flashes what he was like last year but he has been the most inconsistent player this year.

I have no idea what to make of it but it is what it is

There have been 2 issues with Anderson. The first is that his 3pt shooting disappeared and teams completely ignored him on the perimeter. The second issue was that he was primarily playing SF instead of PF. When Towns was out Anderson played significantly better largely due to him moving back to the PF role. He can be a critical piece in the playoffs if used correctly, that is especially true when Towns has to sit due to foul trouble.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,308

Post#1197 » by enigmatics » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:42 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:The gap between these two on defense is huge. Add in the fact that Phoenix has 3 players with duplicative skill sets, and this series is done. Instead of Beal what the Suns needed was a point guard who could also play strong perimeter defense.

I might sound like I'm out of my mind - but I have felt all year long as though Nurk could have taken on more of the distributing duties in pseudo-Jokic fashion. It's not like they had any other options and it was clear for months that the iso garbage was killing the flow of the offense.

Instead, the brain cell assaulting coaching combo of Vogel & Young let the Big 3 run roughshod. Regardless it STILL amazes me just how boring and bogged down the Big 3 can get in THIS version of the NBA where they have made endless changes in favor of offenses.
Jta444
Sophomore
And1: 227

Post#1198 » by Jta444 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:42 pm

Man if this is young Durant he’d mop the floor vs McDaniels and dunk all over Gobert and shut Ant Edwards runny mouth all by himself. But it’s 2024 not 2014. This series is over.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,308

Post#1199 » by enigmatics » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:44 pm

Jta444 wrote:Man if this is young Durant he’d mop the floor vs McDaniels and dunk all over Gobert and shut Ant Edwards runny mouth all by himself. But it’s 2024 not 2014. This series is over.

The worst part of Durant is I don't think he recognizes his age-induced limitations. I cringe when I watch him bringing the ball up court and attempt to get into the lane.

The Suns playing him at the 4 spot was also an epic fail. Should've been at the 3 the entire time.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1200 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:53 pm

enigmatics wrote:
Jta444 wrote:Man if this is young Durant he’d mop the floor vs McDaniels and dunk all over Gobert and shut Ant Edwards runny mouth all by himself. But it’s 2024 not 2014. This series is over.

The worst part of Durant is I don't think he recognizes his age-induced limitations. I cringe when I watch him bringing the ball up court and attempt to get into the lane.

The Suns playing him at the 4 spot was also an epic fail. Should've been at the 3 the entire time.

They might have been able to get away with it if they were starting Gobert at center. But Nurkic just isn't impactful enough to make the lineup successful.

Mike Conley is a full year younger than Kevin Durant, they were in the same draft class. But people talk about Conley like he's Kevin Willis or AC Green while people act like Durant is still in his prime.

But Conley's the one out here doing things like this for his team.

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board