2024 Play-In Tournament (West): #7 New Orleans Pelicans vs #8 Los Angeles Lakers

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins and enters the playoffs as the 7 seed?

Pelicans
34%
Lakers
66%

Total votes: 181

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,889

Re: 2024 Play-In Tournament (West): #7 New Orleans Pelicans vs #8 Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#1041 » by G R E Y » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 am

I can't believe how BAD this 'my chick bad' song is.

'my chick do stuff that your chick wish she could'

Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh...
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,265

Re: 2024 Play-In Tournament (West): #7 New Orleans Pelicans vs #8 Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#1042 » by CodeBreaker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:51 am

if Dlo didn't hit that clutch 3, Lakers would have folded
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,827

Post#1043 » by Marrrcuss » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:54 am

Whenever i see someone just say "Player other than bron" saved em, it just lets me know how intense that hate is. Like, Lakers fans just happy for the win and give no fux HOW it happened. You not giving and credit to bron is for your own emotions. Sleep tight, fellas, lol
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,354

Post#1044 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 am

Bigger problem is that the Lakers offense really stalled in the 2nd half. It got sludgy and hard to watch.

The Lakers offense is pretty simple, they hunt mismatches with LeBron (either through posting up the PG or high PnR with a big switching on him where he has a speed advantage going downhill) and then when teams double him, they play 5-out and look for the open shooter. Or, LeBron will play a 2-man PnR with AD with an empty corner. There's not a lot of complexity there and they fold late in games against better offenses.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#1045 » by SunsLyf3 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:07 am

GeorgeSears wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:CJ McCollum is a bum. If Pels have any hope of moving to contender they move him for role players and start Alvarado in the meantime.

He's being asked to play PG, something he can't do. The Pelicans really need an upgrade there.

Ironically his playmaking was decent and it was his offense/shooting that killed them. Wide open 3 after 3 and went 1 for 9 from 3(4 of 15 from the field). Even as a pure SG he's always been just above average and streaky. He's Monk/Beasley with slighlty better ball handling.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,585

Post#1046 » by Harry Garris » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:08 am

GeorgeSears wrote:Bigger problem is that the Lakers offense really stalled in the 2nd half. It got sludgy and hard to watch.

The Lakers offense is pretty simple, they hunt mismatches with LeBron (either through posting up the PG or high PnR with a big switching on him where he has a speed advantage going downhill) and then when teams double him, they play 5-out and look for the open shooter. Or, LeBron will play a 2-man PnR with AD with an empty corner. There's not a lot of complexity there and they fold late in games against better offenses.

My only question is what team isn't doing this? Seems like every team's late game offense is give the ball to their best player and then try to get him a good matchup.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,354

Post#1047 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:11 am

Harry Garris wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:Bigger problem is that the Lakers offense really stalled in the 2nd half. It got sludgy and hard to watch.

My only question is what team isn't doing this? Seems like every team's late game offense is give the ball to their best player and then try to get him a good matchup.

It works because of LeBron's size and athleticism. Posting up a PG from the 3pt line just to get a double team and then a man advantage is like 2009-2010 level basketball. They don't have a lot of offensive wizards there, so they do with that they have.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,838

Post#1048 » by Beethoven » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:17 am

Ugly game.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,978

Post#1049 » by KyRo23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:27 am

SkyBill40 wrote:Surprise, surprise. The big money draw advances.

Sent from my [Samsung Z4 Fold] using RealGM mobile app

Yeah lets blame the NBA instead of the Pelicans for playing like trash every time they play LA. They had like 2 good quarters the past 3 games they have played
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,475

Post#1050 » by Mrakar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:36 am

Depressing end to a depressing season...I
This game is perfect example for those that dont watch Pels on regular basis.
So many ups and downs during the game. Zion+Herb+Bench is better then starting lineup. CJ Mccollum sucks when it matters.
Injuries ofc, cant have any luck if you are Pels player/fan.
Refs swallowing whistle, our coach sitting on the line not doing anything about it.
And ofc loosing close games.

I'm sad that it has been close, that means we are running it back next season...
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,106

Post#1051 » by Johnny Tomala » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:45 am

I picked Lakers, I was right.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,978

Post#1052 » by KyRo23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:47 am

Mrakar wrote:Depressing end to a depressing season...I
So many ups and downs during the game. Zion+Herb+Bench is better then starting lineup. CJ Mccollum sucks when it matters.
Refs swallowing whistle, our coach sitting on the line not doing anything about it.

I'm sad that it has been close, that means we are running it back next season...

It's not over man, you guys have another game
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,141

Post#1053 » by stuporman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:30 am

Every year many people complain about the play-in mostly criticizing the quality of the teams playing in them but imo there are some entertaining and/or compelling games in them.

Obviously the Zion injury was a dramatic one in the first game but also the second one had a death knell of a dynasty vibe to it.

The other conference has a battle of the hidden tigers in one game and the other is two wandering crossroad teams meeting in the irrelevant match up that fans imagine these games to be.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
kaansunman
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#1054 » by kaansunman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:35 am

Jose Alvarado brings back JJ Barea traumas to Bron but Lakers were lucky to bail it out thanks to Zion's exit.

If Zion plays, Kings is a good matchup for Pelicans the question is how to change the psychology after lossing 6 games in a row at home.
LaLover11
Senior
And1: 376

Post#1055 » by LaLover11 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:02 pm

kaansunman wrote:Jose Alvarado brings back JJ Barea traumas to Bron but Lakers were lucky to bail it out thanks to Zion's exit.

If Zion plays, Kings is a good matchup for Pelicans the question is how to change the psychology after lossing 6 games in a row at home.

It's because Alvarado will flop if LeBron does a power move in the post. Plus AD doesn't help just standing around doing nothing besides not knowing how to dribble or shoot a 3 smh. I hope AD could realize his real potential this upcoming series
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,838

Post#1056 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:17 pm

Johnny Tomala wrote:I picked Lakers, I was right.

Congratulations
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,827

Post#1057 » by Marrrcuss » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:41 pm

kaansunman wrote:Jose Alvarado brings back JJ Barea traumas to Bron but Lakers were lucky to bail it out thanks to Zion's exit.

I think if anyone actually went back and looked at the Dallas series that still gets referenced every 3 days, the JJ Berea myth would get debunked. LeBron stunk, but it wasnt because of JJ.
LaLover11
Senior
And1: 376

Post#1058 » by LaLover11 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:46 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:

I think if anyone actually went back and looked at the Dallas series that still gets referenced every 3 days, the JJ Berea myth would get debunked. LeBron stunk, but it wasnt because of JJ.

It was because Wade thought he was the #1 scoring option and tried to recreate the 90's bulls and made LeBron His Pippen smh... There is interviews Wade admitting this
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,852

Post#1059 » by SkyBill40 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:21 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
SkyBill40 wrote:Surprise, surprise. The big money draw advances.

Sent from my [Samsung Z4 Fold] using RealGM mobile app

Yeah lets blame the NBA instead of the Pelicans for playing like trash every time they play LA. They had like 2 good quarters the past 3 games they have played

Sure, dude.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#1060 » by levon » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
levon wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I am a conspiracy theorist. The Broadcasters make millions more money LeBron and the Lakers get a playoff series. Broadcaster money eventually translates into money for the league. The commissioner could let the Pelicans win because the League gets a 2nd chance to get the Lakers into the Playoffs by having the Lakers beat the Winner of Warriors Kings. I do not think the commissioner will take any chances. I think the Commissioner will order the refs to rig the game for the Lakers to win which would lead to a highly rated Lakers Nuggets series.

I do think the Pelicans are the better team but not so much better that the refs will have a problem making sure that the Lakers win.

Where can I place a bet of freethrow differential?

The Lakers beat the doors off of NO with just a +4 free throw differential, which was honestly depressed given how many continuations the refs wiped off.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you: the Lakers' value is actually depressed during the regular season because of teambuilding quirks and a below average coach and they're actually one of the best teams in the league in high-level basketball games because they employ the best player of all time and a top 3 defender in the league, who are superstars at the 4 and 5, a combination which no other team has.

Spread the word to the lemmings.

The Lakers employee Michael Jordan?

I said best, not the one with the most infallible marketing campaign.

Return to The General Board