Valuing raw 3pt% has come to an end

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Select option that best applies

I pledge to stop using raw 3pt % to make any assessments
40%
I believe Lebron is a better 3pt shooter than Steph
60%

Total votes: 35

KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,961

Re: Valuing raw 3pt% has come to an end 

Post#21 » by KyRo23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:35 am

MacGill
Veteran
And1: 471

Post#22 » by MacGill » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:25 am

dockingsched wrote:Over the years it’s been getting a lot better, but I think with Lebron officially shooting a better percentage than Steph from 3 this year, I’d like to get a pledge from all that the days of using 3pt% to judge shooters is over.

3 point shooting has to be judged within context of the type of shot, the spot on the floor, and the defensive presence.

Read on Twitter

One guy still runs around the court for the entire game causing fits while the other conserves energy on the defensive end while working on his 3.
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#23 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:49 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Steph averaged 12 3PA per game this year (61% 3PAr). Lebron averaged 5 (29% 3PAr).

/thread
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,335

Post#24 » by rapstarter » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:50 am

Harry Garris wrote:Is anyone seriously arguing that this proves Lebron is a better shooter than Steph?

No, I think the OP just wanted to point out that LeBron had higher 3PT% than Steph without specifically mentioning LeBron in the title. Do people think Gafford is the best interior scorer in the league? No.

It's not the first time players had higher 3PT% than the greatest shooter of all time. In fact, I don't think Curry's ever finished first in a season?
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,828

Post#25 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:06 pm

I mean...is anyone arguing this or is it just something you are making up?
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,826

Post#26 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:13 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:I mean...is anyone arguing this or is it just something you are making up?

THE LATTER!!!!!

I saw on other social media how insecure the Steph fans/LeBron haters were when the stat was posted. I get it, Its ALL Steph has. If he isnt shooting 3s, hes doing nothing but cardio. That stat really sticks in their sides.

In addition, while several members on this board keep trying to claim lebron doesnt play defense, im trying to figure out what that means for Stephs defense. :lol:
ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#27 » by ChipotleWest » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:16 pm

rapstarter wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:Is anyone seriously arguing that this proves Lebron is a better shooter than Steph?

No, I think the OP just wanted to point out that LeBron had higher 3PT% than Steph without specifically mentioning LeBron in the title. Do people think Gafford is the best interior scorer in the league? No.

It's not the first time players had higher 3PT% than the greatest shooter of all time. In fact, I don't think Curry's ever finished first in a season?

Does anyone shoot as many 3s as Steph and have a higher percentage? Then that person should be looked at as a serious 3 point shooter, maybe the GOAT.
JM00n69
Ballboy
And1: 50

Post#28 » by JM00n69 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:24 pm

Mad Guru wrote:This LeBron kid might have the stuff to be the best ever

If he gets a few more rings he'll crack the top-10 for sure. Only time will tell
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,826

Post#29 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:49 pm

In the future, i may need a chart to understand which stats we use %s and which we use totals. You all seem to flip flop
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,537

Post#30 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:53 pm

dockingsched wrote:
blueberrysticky wrote:Yeah this probably applies to all levels of scoring and %s right? But we know that.

I think people have already stopped using raw fg% for almost all scoring levels except 3s, only reason I singled it out.

No, we still look at how someone finishes at the rim, short mid range, long mid range. It's all important.

But you don't compare a guy taking 5 shots to a guy taking 12 and not factor that into analysis.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#31 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:09 pm

dockingsched wrote:Over the years it’s been getting a lot better, but I think with Lebron officially shooting a better percentage than Steph from 3 this year, I’d like to get a pledge from all that the days of using 3pt% to judge shooters is over.

3 point shooting has to be judged within context of the type of shot, the spot on the floor, and the defensive presence.

Read on Twitter

raw three point percentage is fine, but any idiot knows to pair it with attempts per game. and that's where curry separates himself from a guy like lebron as a 3pt shooter. still, lebron's 41% from three is very impressive as he does take a lot of tough/long threes.
the sea duck
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Post#32 » by the sea duck » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:23 pm

it turns out that the 3 point shot was a very acquirable skill for the league at large.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,840

Post#33 » by Homer38 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

every stats need context....
BobbyPortisEyes
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,823

Post#34 » by BobbyPortisEyes » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:26 pm

The only reason you want it to come to an end is because of an obsession with "ranking" players like they're Pokemon or something when it comes to every single aspect of the game. That's what needs to come to an end. Lebron made a higher % of his threes than Steph, that's all the stat says and there's no reason to act like it didn't happen.
hauntedcomputer wrote:Jokic is just a stranger dribbling a basketball. The humility bit could well be a carefully crafted business model for all we know. It's actually getting as tiresome as egotistical bloviating at this point. "Look at me, look how humble I am!!"
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,935

Post#35 » by Joshyjess » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:56 pm

As an old-school, old fogey, I still prefer to rely on my eye test over any other way of judging players. Stats are good, and fun and all that but they just don't always tell the real story. A guy gets 5 rebounds that come right to him, whereas another guy fights his butt off pulling down 4 hard-fought boards. Stats will say the first guy is better, but I'll still take the second guy.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,249

Post#36 » by xdrta+ » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:01 pm

Maybe the majority of the voters in the poll?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,260

Post#37 » by og15 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:01 pm

I didn't know this was news, but this doesn't take away valuing raw 3PT%. Since when did anyone reasonable not take into account attempts, shot difficulty, etc?

G35 wrote:

Read on Twitter

This is only a surprise to newer fans. We saw how much Jason Kidd improved his 3pt shooting at the end of his career. Getting better at 3pt shooting is repetition, any human can be improved if that is all they work on. I would like to see how well players shoot the 3pt shot on the move or off the dribble.....

Repetition is one part of it, but this isn't a true statement, it's not simply repetition. Most guys who improve like Kidd and LeBron make some tweaks. The tweaks don't have to be drastic, but they do need to be repeatable and consistent. Repetition alone won't make a guy who has already put in a lot of reps and is still a low percentage shooter into a high percentage shooter.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,260

Post#38 » by og15 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:05 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Maybe the majority of the voters in the poll?

The poll question and options are mmm...lol

This is how polling is done to generate certain results hahaha

Marrrcuss wrote:In the future, i may need a chart to understand which stats we use %s and which we use totals. You all seem to flip flop
Too many posters with different opinions and ways of assessing to say "you all", that's always the issue. You can have one thread with certain posters with one premise and a whole other thread with the opposite and there's no contradiction because they aren't the same people.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,095

Post#39 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:25 pm

Since op wants to make nonsensical topics, I’ll up the ante. Lebron is clearly a better 3 point shooter than steph because teams are clearly so spooked of his shooting that they just let him go to the rim and be top 5 in paint scoring since it’s clearly the less deadly alternative to his otherworldly outside shooting. Teams just let steph shoot 12 3s a game because he’s not as good as lebron
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,069

Post#40 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:35 pm

I'm not a fan of the wording of the poll so I won't vote. I don't believe LeBron is a better 3pt shooter than Steph, but I will continue using raw %'s on top of other stats and my own eyes.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.

Return to The General Board