OT Caitlin Clark's WNBA rookie contract breakdown released

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,549

Re: OT Caitlin Clark's WNBA rookie contract breakdown released 

Post#121 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 am

NbaAllDay wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:Salary aside I completely disagree with the " it's for 5 months of work" professional athletes are a full time 12 month long job with some time off at certain times.

If you trained for your job you'd say it was working too. If she doesn't train she doesn't get that money.

Not to mention game film study, media appreances etc etc.

Always an annoying thing I see mentioned about Sports players in general.

Hardly a full time job during the off season, even if you bust your ass with 3 hrs worth of grueling workouts and drills everyday that still...3 hrs.

Some NBA players have outright said they don't touch a basketball in the off season until shortly before training camp.

Sure and those NBA players are probably not apart of the better players for that reason. They also do more through the season than most people do in their regular job.

Not advocating like it's the hardest job in the world but most 9-5ers pretend they have the equivalent workload and it simply isn't true.

No they don't! These guys are bored playing video games crazy long hours. From the guys trying to ruin their career like Ben Simmons, to top 10 all time guys like Tim Duncan. The very top athletes don't work any more than the very top guys in most professions. And the bottom NBA guys likely work way way way less than the bottom guys in most professions.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,501

Post#122 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:17 am

KembaWalker wrote:
dc wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:LeBron didn’t single handedly quintuple NBA ratings like Caitlin Clark will. LeBron couldn’t even get NBA ratings to Jordan’s level. It’s not a comparable situation

Of course it's not comparable because the NBA was doing pretty damn well already by the time Lebron entered the league and nobody was quintupling the ratings. Clark being the transcendent player she is combined with no real prior interest in the WNBA actually made it possible to improve the ratings that much.

Hence why I said she deserves a commissioner exemption from the rookie scale contract. She’s an outlier. These contracts and systems weren’t designed or negotiated in mind for such a dramatic outlier. 70k is a joke.

Paying her what she’s worth is a step towards growing the game

It’s a collectively bargained agreement. What power does the commissioner have to exempt her from it? If she increases league wide revenues, the money will be shared among all players at a 50% clip. Exempting her means less money for other players and the union would never allow that. There’s nothing the league can do here short of increasing every player’s salary.

She will make her money in endorsements. Those endorsement will increase her and the league’s visibility which should increase revenues and give them higher leverage in subsequent labor negotiations.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,671

Post#123 » by Rainwater » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:
Hardly a full time job during the off season, even if you bust your ass with 3 hrs worth of grueling workouts and drills everyday that still...3 hrs.

Some NBA players have outright said they don't touch a basketball in the off season until shortly before training camp.

Sure and those NBA players are probably not apart of the better players for that reason. They also do more through the season than most people do in their regular job.

Not advocating like it's the hardest job in the world but most 9-5ers pretend they have the equivalent workload and it simply isn't true.

No they don't! These guys are bored playing video games crazy long hours. From the guys trying to ruin their career like Ben Simmons, to top 10 all time guys like Tim Duncan. The very top athletes don't work any more than the very top guys in most professions. And the bottom NBA guys likely work way way way less than the bottom guys in most professions.

Man, AI is a hall of famer and he admitted he partied a lot.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,540

Post#124 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:41 am

OhMyGodBecky wrote:And this is why most of them also go overseas to play.

That and the fact that the NBA chose for the WNBA to play during the summer when nearly all other leagues, including the NBA, were built around winter-spring.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,709

Post#125 » by NbaAllDay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:47 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:

Again this was more about pro's in general then just the WNBA. It actually is easier than others in the WNBA sure.

If you looked at the NBA it's wild to say they are 'bored playing video games crazy long hours' as if you couldn't say the same thing about almost any other worker.

Also its just flat out wrong. in the NBA season they are likely doing 70+ hours of 'work' minimum.

Travel, team activities, practices, film, games, gym time, team meetings, media, etc etc

Using the worst players and/or the ones who don't put in the work to define what an athlete does, is like using the guy who watches netflix while WFH as a baseline for his companies workload.

I'm not sure if you believe you work as hard as them, you might just, however most do not and there are big differences to what people consider 'extra education' or 'better sleep' or 'working out'.

If you really think most people work out the same amount, and with the same intensity as Athletes, or if you think they are doing all the 'extra' work the athletes do outside of playing the game as comparable to what the average worker does then we are probably too far apart to come to an understanding.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#126 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:53 am

Doctor MJ wrote:

That and the fact that the NBA chose for the WNBA to play during the summer when nearly all other leagues, including the NBA, were built around winter-spring.

If her star keeps shining, Clark will never have to play overseas. Her endorsement dollars will render her salary chump change.

Everyone associated with the WNBA should do everything they can to elevate her stardom and paint her as superhuman. This is a massive opportunity for the league and they can’t afford to let it go. Bird and Taurusi should be out there calling her a future GOAT and the savior of the Women’s game.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,540

Post#127 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:08 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:She'll simply have to build that league up like Wilt, Magic & Bird, Jordan, LeBron & Steph have done the NBA.

If Candace Parker couldn't build up the league what makes you think Clark will? Mind you Parker won MVP as a rookie.

She was great in college, but I doubt she will a be a big thing a few years from now.

1. Timing is a critical thing to understand. There are particular moments where everything is set up to spring into the mainstream and if a player comes along at the wrong time it won't work. I would argue that prior to this point in time, there have been two moments that were best for launching stars: The 1984 Olympics and the start of the WNBA piggy backing on the 1996 Olympics. In the first case, the star they were banking on (Cheryl Miller) got a career-ending injury. In the second case, the stars they were banking on (Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoopes) got overshadowed by a much older player (Cynthia Cooper) whose age precluded a sustained run of dominance across a long period of time.

And to be clear, I think the early 2020s are the best moment we've seen yet, and that had Clark not existed but Bueckers not gotten hurt, Bueckers would have likely become a crossover star like we'd never seen before.

2. They definitely tried to hype Parker up as a crossover star, but it didn't quite work. Some things holding Parker back:
- Her game's pretty, but it doesn't provide anywhere near the excitement that Clark's does.
- She decided to have a baby early in her career when she might have chosen to build on the momentum she had at the time.
- Once she returned from having a baby, her team didn't emerge again as an elite contender for a while.
- She wasn't actually THAT impactful on the court. Yes she won an MVP, but I don't rank her higher than the 3rd best player in any year of her career. Had she been GOAT impactful, then her teams would have been consistent elite contenders that won many titles, and that might have allowed her to cross over.

3. But as I say this, I think it unlikely that Clark will be a more impactful player than Maya Moore was when you consider both sides of the ball. Moore was extremely dominant leading a dynastic run, and she didn't cross over either. What other than timing played into that?
- Despite being a high volume scorer in college, in the pros she was asked to play more a jack-of-all-trades role in many years. And so, despite the fact that there are some serious indications that she was the MVP in her rookie season, she got a grand total of 1 point in the MVP voting, while 3 other teammates together got 138 points.
- While Moore soon got the primacy she needed to win the MVP, her team would then make a decision to acquire an interior post volume scorer and look to play with that other player as the team's first option, and leading that other player to win an MVP while pretty clearly not being the MVP of the team.
- Tying into all of this is a general conservativeness in Moore's coaches game. Even in a league that was slower than the NBA to embrace 3-point shooting, Moore's team shot a low amount of 3's. Because the team still became a dynasty, people thought the coach was great, but they absolutely could have been better had they embraced the 3 properly, and can you guess who on the team led the team in 3's every year? Moore of course. So we're looking at a situation where Moore was probably the most valuable player that ever existed in the WNBA despite playing for a behind-the-times coach who held her back and kept her from getting more eye-popping stats.
- The Jordan brand decided to make Moore their first signature female athlete...and then she left the game to get a man out of prison.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 939

Post#128 » by dk1115 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:12 am

She keeps to the women, she'll make much more than the 5M just off of endorsements the next couple years.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#129 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:25 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:She'll simply have to build that league up like Wilt, Magic & Bird, Jordan, LeBron & Steph have done the NBA.

If Candace Parker couldn't build up the league what makes you think Clark will? Mind you Parker won MVP as a rookie.

She was great in college, but I doubt she will a be a big thing a few years from now.

1. Timing is a critical thing to understand. There are particular moments where everything is set up to spring into the mainstream and if a player comes along at the wrong time it won't work. I would argue that prior to this point in time, there have been two moments that were best for launching stars: The 1984 Olympics and the start of the WNBA piggy backing on the 1996 Olympics. In the first case, the star they were banking on (Cheryl Miller) got a career-ending injury. In the second case, the stars they were banking on (Lisa Leslie, Sheryl Swoopes) got overshadowed by a much older player (Cynthia Cooper) whose age precluded a sustained run of dominance across a long period of time.

And to be clear, I think the early 2020s are the best moment we've seen yet, and that had Clark not existed but Bueckers not gotten hurt, Bueckers would have likely become a crossover star like we'd never seen before.

2. They definitely tried to hype Parker up as a crossover star, but it didn't quite work. Some things holding Parker back:
- Her game's pretty, but it doesn't provide anywhere near the excitement that Clark's does.
- She decided to have a baby early in her career when she might have chosen to build on the momentum she had at the time.
- Once she returned from having a baby, her team didn't emerge again as an elite contender for a while.
- She wasn't actually THAT impactful on the court. Yes she won an MVP, but I don't rank her higher than the 3rd best player in any year of her career. Had she been GOAT impactful, then her teams would have been consistent elite contenders that won many titles, and that might have allowed her to cross over.

3. But as I say this, I think it unlikely that Clark will be a more impactful player than Maya Moore was when you consider both sides of the ball. Moore was extremely dominant leading a dynastic run, and she didn't cross over either. What other than timing played into that?
- Despite being a high volume scorer in college, in the pros she was asked to play more a jack-of-all-trades role in many years. And so, despite the fact that there are some serious indications that she was the MVP in her rookie season, she got a grand total of 1 point in the MVP voting, while 3 other teammates together got 138 points.
- While Moore soon got the primacy she needed to win the MVP, her team would then make a decision to acquire an interior post volume scorer and look to play with that other player as the team's first option, and leading that other player to win an MVP while pretty clearly not being the MVP of the team.
- Tying into all of this is a general conservativeness in Moore's coaches game. Even in a league that was slower than the NBA to embrace 3-point shooting, Moore's team shot a low amount of 3's. Because the team still became a dynasty, people thought the coach was great, but they absolutely could have been better had they embraced the 3 properly, and can you guess who on the team led the team in 3's every year? Moore of course. So we're looking at a situation where Moore was probably the most valuable player that ever existed in the WNBA despite playing for a behind-the-times coach who held her back and kept her from getting more eye-popping stats.
- The Jordan brand decided to make Moore their first signature female athlete...and then she left the game to get a man out of prison.

Let’s be honest. Clark being white and straight is also very relevant here. Black women watch more womens sports than white women. Additionally, lesbian women watch more womens sports than straight women. Yet, straight white women are tue majority of women in the US. Clark is the first identifiable WNBA promoted star that relates to this population. If she can capture some share of this population, it would be a game changer.

As Eminem once said: “let’s face it, if I was black, I would have sold half”

Sources:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1247553/womens-pro-sport-viewers-ethnicity/
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/377073193_Who_Watches_and_Follows_Girls'_and_Women's_Sport_A_Gendered_Life_Course_Analysis_of_US_Adults'_Consumption
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,838

Post#130 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:47 am

azcatz11 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:It is all relative, 76k a year would be insane money to me even today, but in USA economy I believe it would be perceived low even for non athlete? When I was growing up, my mother raised me, what at a time, dollar being way stronger, was an equivalent of maybe 1k per year...

That said, we need to remember how much bigger NBA salaries are, compared yo even other players playing same sport. Best non NBA players will get 3 mil tops, you can still buy good Euroleague player for 600k, and majority of pro basketball players around the world, are still way worse than a good Euroleague player. In my country, even some lesser known clubs players are nationally known, but I doubt many of them get 76k a year.

Vaidas Kariniauskas, who even made national team, I mean he only made it cause like 10 best guys refused to play this past year, but he still made it, and famously ended up trashing team USA and Austin Reaves in particular, I believe his contract prior to that game was below 30k...

You can make $40k a year flipping burgers in California. Literally

Yeah, it is crazy how different the economies are. When I was working full hours, I was making maybe just around 11k a year, after tax, considering euro and us dollar is around the same mow which I believe it is. And recently, when I shifted to 50% work load, maybe I made over 5k previous year.

I know people in US who say they can't save on 120k annual salary, where to me, I would need to work over 10 years to make that, but since I do not live alone
i still save money. But granted, economy is
completely different. For starters if you renting in NY or LA, very likely your monthly rent in itself could be higher than what I made last year combined, plus all the other factors. I am sick person, and overall, I probably got lucky I am not an American, since that system is way harsher and if I was getting same help in US, even if I was making 10 times more, I would still be in huge medical depth most likely. Most medication here gave huge compensations and it always been like that, I need to only pay 5% of real cost for my medication and of course the treatment is free. In some US states even ambulance still cost money, where I had to be moved to hospital 130km away from home last Tuesday, and of course I did not have to pay.

I am a person who paid taxes for many years, but overall, I am one of those trash people who ultimately got more from government than I paid, and I feel shame for that for sure, but I really try to contribute when I can, which it is something, since in such socialist paradise, it is very easy to realise how actual job can be rather not beneficial at all.

We always had tourists and they always been amazed how cheap things are over here, but they forget the fact our salaries are probably 5 to 10 times smaller than theirs. But even the prices are not really that small anymore, for example in Poland, almost everything is way cheaper now, so over here we have many many people who spend a day driving to Poland just for shoping. And of course, lots of things have universal prices. Since I am in hospitals all the time, I figured f it, I will buy Steamdeck, ordered yesterday, and despite me making less than 6k a year and being sick, I still was able to afford Steamdeck that was 660 dollars.

So yes, everything is different from place to place and has strengths and weaknesses. I will probably never have fear of getting debt or losing my home, but on the other hand, I know that I will never get out of low class, that is just not a thing that will ever happen, and we aren't even pretending that things are different. Overall, current national fear has nothing to do with economy and salaries, but rather with looming likeliness of war. Until Russia, China and likely soon USA again, are ruled by people that ard there, the idea that our home will be destroyed and that we could ge killed seems more plausible than it really should be.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,256

Post#131 » by deneem4 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:56 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:If Candace Parker couldn't build up the league what makes you think Clark will? Mind you Parker won MVP as a rookie.

Let’s be honest. Clark being white and straight is also very relevant here. Black women watch more womens sports than white women. Additionally, lesbian women watch more womens sports than straight women. Yet, straight white women are tue majority of women in the US. Clark is the first identifiable WNBA promoted star that relates to this population. If she can capture some share of this population, it would be a game changer.

As Eminem once said: “let’s face it, if I was black, I would have sold half”

Sources:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1247553/womens-pro-sport-viewers-ethnicity/
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/377073193_Who_Watches_and_Follows_Girls'_and_Women's_Sport_A_Gendered_Life_Course_Analysis_of_US_Adults'_Consumption

If juju pull a Steph we gon watch
will she detriment her team doing that is up for debate but it has nothing to do with race
Next woman basketball player dunking or making long distance 3s might get more viewers or everybody else might watch the game
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,096

Post#132 » by MrBigShot » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

If her star keeps shining, Clark will never have to play overseas. Her endorsement dollars will render her salary chump change.

Everyone associated with the WNBA should do everything they can to elevate her stardom and paint her as superhuman. This is a massive opportunity for the league and they can’t afford to let it go. Bird and Taurusi should be out there calling her a future GOAT and the savior of the Women’s game.

Yup. The crap diana taurasi said recently was downright crazy. Imagine an nba player saying "reality is coming" when asked about caitlin clark, they'd be called every name under the sun. They got their golden goose and some of the top players and previous players are trying to screw it up.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,661

Post#133 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:22 am

Ambrose wrote:Didn't we know this going in? Isn't that the rookie scale?

It's not much compared to the NBA, sure, but for working 1/3 of the year, it's pretty nice. Especially when you factor in she's going to easily be clearing seven figures in endorsements this year.
Not only did we know this but when the wnba players were saying they should get more of the BRI they were ridiculed and cut down on realgm and other social media platforms.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using RealGM mobile app
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#134 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:24 am

og15 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:It is all relative, 76k a year would be insane money to me even today, but in USA economy I believe it would be perceived low even for non athlete? When I was growing up, my mother raised me, what at a time, dollar being way stronger, was an equivalent of maybe 1k per year...

That said, we need to remember how much bigger NBA salaries are, compared yo even other players playing same sport. Best non NBA players will get 3 mil tops, you can still buy good Euroleague player for 600k, and majority of pro basketball players around the world, are still way worse than a good Euroleague player. In my country, even some lesser known clubs players are nationally known, but I doubt many of them get 76k a year.

Vaidas Kariniauskas, who even made national team, I mean he only made it cause like 10 best guys refused to play this past year, but he still made it, and famously ended up trashing team USA and Austin Reaves in particular, I believe his contract prior to that game was below 30k...

You can make $40k a year flipping burgers in California. Literally

Not in 4-5 months though.

WNBA is 40 game regular season, 3 rounds of playoffs, 3 game series round 1 and 5 game series semi-final and finals.

So even if one is comparing to the NBA, you would have to compare it to 1/2 NBA salary.

I believe WNBA players get less of their BRI though, that would be where they can make gains, but comparing their salaries to NBA in general is pointless and doesn't help anyone.

theforumblue wrote:there are some rumblings about how she's so underpaid. we'll probably hear from wnba players who are gonna jump on that and try to get paid like guys again.
WNBA players aren't idiots, but are they getting the same % of BRI as NBA players? That's what can be argued for, obviously they can't actually ask to be paid the same numbers.
They always asked for the BRI to be equivalent and the sexists were like you don't bring in the same money.

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,765

Post#135 » by KembaWalker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:35 am

Harry Garris wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:You can definitely say Caitlin Clark is underpaid while simultaneously saying WNBA players as a whole are not. They aren’t conflicting opinions. There’s no logic at all behind Caitlin specifically being worth seven figures to drink Gatorade for a couple commercials and being worth 5 figures to the league. She should get a commissioners exemption from collective bargaining because of the degree of an outlier she is. It’s way more than even LeBron or MJ

This shouldn't need to be said but there's a system for determining player's contracts in professional sports leagues and it's not intended to be some reflection of fair market value.

Yeah obviously, and these systems weren’t designed to handle one singular player coming in and being worth more to the league than every other player combined x10. It was stupid and not defensible when MJ was making 3 mil or a year or whatever and it’s even more ridiculous with Caitlin.

Standing behind collective bargaining is dumb pandering to bureaucracy. Caitlin didn’t get to collectively bargain anything, she’s coming into a system where she specifically and she alone is getting taken massive advantage of to a degree we haven’t seen in sports probably ever.

It’s a problem, just saying “well that’s just the way we do things, this shouldn’t have to be said” is a pretty lame place to stand but you do you
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#136 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:45 am

MrBigShot wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Yup. The crap diana taurasi said recently was downright crazy. Imagine an nba player saying "reality is coming" when asked about caitlin clark, they'd be called every name under the sun. They got their golden goose and some of the top players and previous players are trying to screw it up.
It has happened.

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,095

Post#137 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:

right mindset, bird made like 600k in his rookie year. make the number go up.

JJ Reddick called old school basketball players plumbers. The WNBA will have to go through that phase just like the men. 600k in today's economy is a little bit more than what top professionals make on average (surgeons).

I will say, for the W, the last 5 years of players are substantially better than the previous ones. Rookies go in there and do really well right away compared to the men’s game(partially because of age requirements) I expect Clark to be a demon right away and I don’t think people realize how much harder it will be to defend her with how the rules in the W have been softened to make the game fun to watch
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#138 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:01 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:You can definitely say Caitlin Clark is underpaid while simultaneously saying WNBA players as a whole are not. They aren’t conflicting opinions. There’s no logic at all behind Caitlin specifically being worth seven figures to drink Gatorade for a couple commercials and being worth 5 figures to the league. She should get a commissioners exemption from collective bargaining because of the degree of an outlier she is. It’s way more than even LeBron or MJ

This shouldn't need to be said but there's a system for determining player's contracts in professional sports leagues and it's not intended to be some reflection of fair market value.

Yeah obviously, and these systems weren’t designed to handle one singular player coming in and being worth more to the league than every other player combined x10. It was stupid and not defensible when MJ was making 3 mil or a year or whatever and it’s even more ridiculous with Caitlin.

Standing behind collective bargaining is dumb pandering to bureaucracy. Caitlin didn’t get to collectively bargain anything, she’s coming into a system where she specifically and she alone is getting taken massive advantage of to a degree we haven’t seen in sports probably ever.

It’s a problem, just saying “well that’s just the way we do things, this shouldn’t have to be said” is a pretty lame place to stand but you do you

So what is your position? As it stands, WNBA players get 20% of revenues up to the league's revenue target and 50% of any revenue above those targets. Do you want her to get the 50% incremental portion to herself? I'm sure the league won't care about this but the union would never go for it. Do you think she should be able to side-step the draft process and negotiate her salary as an FA? The league would never agree because of the precedent it sets across all sports leagues in the US and the union would not agree as it treats one member different than the others. Do you want the league to pay a Caitlin Clark premium beyond the negotiated revenue split? They would argue that paying out 50% of this to the players as wages above what their salary is set at is more than fair and I'm sure there are others in the Union who believe they would also deserve this exemption.

Your premise is flawed because you equate her earnings to her WNBA salary. She has 2 earnings streams:
1. Her salary which is collectively bargained for by the Union she is joining
2. Her earnings from endorsements

There is no cap on her endorsements and the free market will make her close to whole there. She made over $3m in NIL money last year and that will grow drastically given the rise in her profile.

In regards to her salary, any revenue she brings in above targets set for the league before she came in will be given to the players at a 50% rate which is pretty much equal to what the men get in the NBA. So your argument implies that only she should earn that because she is the one creating that revenue. Therefore the system you're arguing against is the union and collective bargaining, and you want the dollars to come out of the other players' pockets and into hers. It's fine if that's your position, but let's frame it right before telling others to "do them".
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#139 » by Pattycakes » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:09 pm

She’ll get lots of endorsement opportunity. The lady won’t starve
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,549

Post#140 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:20 pm

NbaAllDay wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
NbaAllDay wrote:

Again this was more about pro's in general then just the WNBA. It actually is easier than others in the WNBA sure.

If you looked at the NBA it's wild to say they are 'bored playing video games crazy long hours' as if you couldn't say the same thing about almost any other worker.

Also its just flat out wrong. in the NBA season they are likely doing 70+ hours of 'work' minimum.

Travel, team activities, practices, film, games, gym time, team meetings, media, etc etc

Using the worst players and/or the ones who don't put in the work to define what an athlete does, is like using the guy who watches netflix while WFH as a baseline for his companies workload.

I'm not sure if you believe you work as hard as them, you might just, however most do not and there are big differences to what people consider 'extra education' or 'better sleep' or 'working out'.

If you really think most people work out the same amount, and with the same intensity as Athletes, or if you think they are doing all the 'extra' work the athletes do outside of playing the game as comparable to what the average worker does then we are probably too far apart to come to an understanding.

LMFAO...NBA guys aren't even coming close to 40 hours a week during the season without including just being on a plane...where they are doing whatever the heck they want! And no i don't think the average person workout as much as an athlete...I was pretty clear about that. It doesn't change that it has similar value to their work. And...gasp...a lot of athletes don't workout like athletes in their off seasons either!

Throughout history athletes have been famous for partying, countless guys were famous for showing up still drunk to games, staying out all hours at bars, and practice has always been secondary to the AVERAGE pro athlete.

People become pro athletes because of Genetics first and foremost!

Return to The General Board