OT Caitlin Clark's WNBA rookie contract breakdown released

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,406

Re: OT Caitlin Clark's WNBA rookie contract breakdown released 

Post#61 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:00 pm

og15 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:It's indeed a very low figure for a pro, but it is what it is, there isn't demand for this product, unfortunately that's how the market works.

Now if she brings a huge demand for the game, there are already reports that the league is seeking to double the revenues of their broadcasting rights (link), then these contracts would skyrocket in the coming decade.

I think it's not far-fetched to say the WNBA contracts could increase by 10 times until the end of the decade... and, even then, they would be grossly underpaid relative to the NBA players.

Let's see if she can be the one to break this "cycle".

Why would you add this? Underpaid when it comes to entertainment is relative to how your percentage of revenue is compared to others, not raw numbers.

Did I say anything factually wrong, though? I mean, you paraphrased what I wrote, :lol:

If you get a standard WNBA contract and multiply times 10, that's still a lot less money than relative to their NBA counterparts.

Regarding your last sentence, it's the same thing I wrote in the first 2 paragraphs of the post above.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,650

Post#62 » by AleksandarN » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:Man if I were her I would have gone to the Big 3 for 5 million.

She would make on endorsements alone in the first year in the wnba. She would be stupid to take the big 3 offer. She will get more exposure in the wnba.

She's a commodity, you act like the endorsements wouldn't be there anyway. And it's not like if she went to the Big 3 for one year she couldn't go to WNBA after. It's not a lifelong commitment, they were giving her 5 million for one season.

More exposure meaning more games on tv. Which would include I imagine even more endorsements then if she took a one year deal with the big three.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,827

Post#63 » by jc23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 pm

she will be the top earning when you lump in endorsements.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,385

Post#64 » by Ambrose » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:10 pm

Didn't we know this going in? Isn't that the rookie scale?

It's not much compared to the NBA, sure, but for working 1/3 of the year, it's pretty nice. Especially when you factor in she's going to easily be clearing seven figures in endorsements this year.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,898

Post#65 » by theforumblue » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 pm

there are some rumblings about how she's so underpaid. we'll probably hear from wnba players who are gonna jump on that and try to get paid like guys again.
screw these absolute garbage refs
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,194

Post#66 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:17 pm

The WNBA CBA expires in 2027. With the new popularity of women's sports, and the WNBA with Clark headlining it, the salaries will probably double in a few years.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,168

Post#67 » by Pelon chingon » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:23 pm

Coulda had a v8.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,270

Post#68 » by og15 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:24 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:It is all relative, 76k a year would be insane money to me even today, but in USA economy I believe it would be perceived low even for non athlete? When I was growing up, my mother raised me, what at a time, dollar being way stronger, was an equivalent of maybe 1k per year...

That said, we need to remember how much bigger NBA salaries are, compared yo even other players playing same sport. Best non NBA players will get 3 mil tops, you can still buy good Euroleague player for 600k, and majority of pro basketball players around the world, are still way worse than a good Euroleague player. In my country, even some lesser known clubs players are nationally known, but I doubt many of them get 76k a year.

Vaidas Kariniauskas, who even made national team, I mean he only made it cause like 10 best guys refused to play this past year, but he still made it, and famously ended up trashing team USA and Austin Reaves in particular, I believe his contract prior to that game was below 30k...

You can make $40k a year flipping burgers in California. Literally

Not in 4-5 months though.

WNBA is 40 game regular season, 3 rounds of playoffs, 3 game series round 1 and 5 game series semi-final and finals.

So even if one is comparing to the NBA, you would have to compare it to 1/2 NBA salary.

I believe WNBA players get less of their BRI though, that would be where they can make gains, but comparing their salaries to NBA in general is pointless and doesn't help anyone.

theforumblue wrote:there are some rumblings about how she's so underpaid. we'll probably hear from wnba players who are gonna jump on that and try to get paid like guys again.
WNBA players aren't idiots, but are they getting the same % of BRI as NBA players? That's what can be argued for, obviously they can't actually ask to be paid the same numbers.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,299

Post#69 » by Cavsfansince84 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Did I say anything factually wrong, though? I mean, you paraphrased what I wrote, :lol:

If you get a standard WNBA contract and multiply times 10, that's still a lot less money than relative to their NBA counterparts.

Regarding your last sentence, it's the same thing I wrote in the first 2 paragraphs of the post above.

I'm not sure why in your mind the fact that they make more than 10-20x less than nba players means that wnba players are grossly underpaid. The former being true doesn't prove the latter. I mean it'd be one thing if the league were raking in billions in revenue and the players had no union(not even sure if they do in the wnba) and were only getting like 10-20% of the league's profits. That's not the reality of the wnba though.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,352

Post#70 » by shi-woo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 pm

jc23 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:This is the legacy of Diana Taurasi and all the bums trashing on her. They did nothing for the product. Caitlin will put them on her back

This is such a non-basketball player take. That’s her personality and she is stating the obvious. You want everyone to just give empty praise and say she is the best player in the world before setting foot in the WNBA. Based on the number of teams, the talent jump is at least as big as the NBA. It’s gonna be an adjustment.

And the narrative around these women hating is ridiculous and based a lot on race. We’ll see in a few years when Juju comes, bc she is just as talented and very exciting. CC is also far from the only exciting player to into the league (see Maya Moore). It’s just the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I dont buy into the its the right time talk; that devalues what Caitlin has done. Nothing was stopping any of the other women basketball players from drawing as much attention if it were the case.

The Chicago Sky just drafted two players who i know the names of which is primarily because they played Iowa in the tournament.

She is not the best ever but she is the most important imo.

I 100% disagree, and do think it's the right time, and don't think it takes away from CC to say so.

Those other players had no chance. Just look at this thread for example. 5 years ago we would be arguing amongst ourselves about whether or not women are paid less than men for equal work, or some other propaganda. Now we are talking about talent.

Likewise, the Women themselves aren't just blindly saying the same old "give us more money because!" or "women are underpaid!" thing, which has been disproved time and time again, and it's rare to hear these days even outside of the sports world. The powers that be have finally realized that begging for more insn't going to get you more, and the past couple of years we have seen an almost nauseating amount of women hoops superinfused into our lives out of nowhere.

You have Steph doing that shoot out for example during ASW with that girl who's last name sounds like something I would smoke. You have former WNBA players on sidelines and on camera more than ever, every show I turn on usually has one on standby. Paige Buekers was in that New Balance commercial with NBA stars just because :lol: You have NBA players and Celebrities probably getting paid to talk about the WNBA. Why do I know that Jalen Suggs and Paige were friends in highschool?

Marketers and people trying to create that new financial market have finally learned that if you market something in a cool way, focus on the strengths and personalities of these people, and not just making it another womens sufferage movement, people will actually tune in.

And if you think it was bad for Clarke, wait till the marketers realize that Juju is a dime piece and start marketing her like they do tennis players :lol: It's probably weird because shes like what 18, in 2 years that girl is going to be an american sex symbol and on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit addition :lol:

So yes, now was certainly the time, and No, other athletes before CC did not have that same opportunity.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,270

Post#71 » by og15 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
og15 wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:It's indeed a very low figure for a pro, but it is what it is, there isn't demand for this product, unfortunately that's how the market works.

Now if she brings a huge demand for the game, there are already reports that the league is seeking to double the revenues of their broadcasting rights (link), then these contracts would skyrocket in the coming decade.

I think it's not far-fetched to say the WNBA contracts could increase by 10 times until the end of the decade... and, even then, they would be grossly underpaid relative to the NBA players.

Let's see if she can be the one to break this "cycle".

Why would you add this? Underpaid when it comes to entertainment is relative to how your percentage of revenue is compared to others, not raw numbers.

Mmm..yes, lol, you said they would be underpaid, but they wouldn't be underpaid if they are making the same amount of their BRI.

There's no standard salary for playing basketball, its an entertainment job, so just because someone else makes more playing basketball doesn't mean someone else is underpaid. It's just like any other entertainment, we don't say an artist who makes the same percentage of his revenues is underpaid compared to someone who has a far larger fan base and who generates far more income.

We say two managers on the same job with the same experience and aptitude and one is making less because he wasn't assertive enough and his company is taking advantage, that guy is underpaid.

Are Euroleague players underpaid compared to NBA players? Are CEBL players underpaid? Underpaid only makes sense if one is actually supposed to be making more based on what they are generating. That's not what the word means. It doesn't mean paid less. You're saying they would be paid less, therefore, underpaid, that's not a logical progression of thought.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,827

Post#72 » by jc23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 pm

shi-woo wrote:
jc23 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:This is such a non-basketball player take. That’s her personality and she is stating the obvious. You want everyone to just give empty praise and say she is the best player in the world before setting foot in the WNBA. Based on the number of teams, the talent jump is at least as big as the NBA. It’s gonna be an adjustment.

And the narrative around these women hating is ridiculous and based a lot on race. We’ll see in a few years when Juju comes, bc she is just as talented and very exciting. CC is also far from the only exciting player to into the league (see Maya Moore). It’s just the right time.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I dont buy into the its the right time talk; that devalues what Caitlin has done. Nothing was stopping any of the other women basketball players from drawing as much attention if it were the case.

The Chicago Sky just drafted two players who i know the names of which is primarily because they played Iowa in the tournament.

I 100% disagree, and do think it's the right time, and don't think it takes away from CC to say so.

Those other players had no chance. Just look at this thread for example. 5 years ago we would be arguing amongst ourselves about whether or not women are paid less than men for equal work, or some other propaganda. Now we are talking about talent.

Likewise, the Women themselves aren't just blindly saying the same old "give us more money because!" or "women are underpaid!" thing, which has been disproved time and time again, and it's rare to hear these days even outside of the sports world. The powers that be have finally realized that begging for more insn't going to get you more, and the past couple of years we have seen an almost nauseating amount of women hoops superinfused into our lives out of nowhere.

You have Steph doing that shoot out for example during ASW with that girl who's last name sounds like something I would smoke. You have former WNBA players on sidelines and on camera more than ever, every show I turn on usually has one on standby. Paige Buekers was in that New Balance commercial with NBA stars just because :lol: You have NBA players and Celebrities probably getting paid to talk about the WNBA. Why do I know that Jalen Suggs and Paige were friends in highschool?

Marketers and people trying to create that new financial market have finally learned that if you market something in a cool way, focus on the strengths and personalities of these people, and not just making it another womens sufferage movement, people will actually tune in.

And if you think it was bad for Clarke, wait till the marketers realize that Juju is a dime piece and start marketing her like they do tennis players :lol: It's probably weird because shes like what 18, in 2 years that girl is going to be an american sex symbol and on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit addition :lol:

So yes, now was certainly the time, and No, other athletes before CC did not have that same opportunity.

Well then i can only speak on myself and say i didnt know who any of those other players were before watching CC. I still dont see any other player moving the needle the way she has (college or pros); if it was just better marketing why not market them all to get the same result?

Its not like women athletes have never been marketed before. CC brought them to the water so that everyone can now drink. She deserves the credit.
Be curious, Not judgmental
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,710

Post#73 » by NbaAllDay » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:01 pm

Salary aside I completely disagree with the " it's for 5 months of work" professional athletes are a full time 12 month long job with some time off at certain times.

If you trained for your job you'd say it was working too. If she doesn't train she doesn't get that money.

Not to mention game film study, media appreances etc etc.

Always an annoying thing I see mentioned about Sports players in general.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,352

Post#74 » by shi-woo » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 pm

Spoiler:
jc23 wrote:
shi-woo wrote:
jc23 wrote:

Well then i can only speak on myself and say i didnt know who any of those other players were before watching CC. I still dont see any other player moving the needle the way she has (college or pros); if it was just better marketing why not market them all to get the same result?

Its not like women athletes have never been marketed before. CC brought them to the water so that everyone can now drink. She deserves the credit.

Right place, right time. Like I said, I don't think it takes away from Clarke and what she did, just an acknowledgement of the environment she grew up in. It's nothing against her, and it takes nothing away from her as a player just like how Steph was the right player at the right time in 2015 after the Spurs showed the world the Beautiful Game.

I think a lot of us just see it as a new begining for women's hoops after a long marketing campaign that is finally paying off. If it wasn't CC, it 100% was going to be someone else. CC is just the one who made herself the most marketable in that window. If Paige didn't go down it was probably going to be her.

Juju is going to be the next one, and I think you are going to see that next year, and like I said, when it's not weird to sell her as a sex symbol you're probably going to see her face everywhere (ceral boxes, comercials, magazine covers, TMZ/tabloids), and start hearing how "she ragdolls the guys!" and "could she make the NBA as a 6'2 point off the bench?"

I also think you are under valuing just how much work these promoters have put into the women's basketball community over the years. How much the NBA players and community have gaslit fans into making it a part of the community essentially overnight, and the people like Paige Bueckers who were on sportcenter every day, with compelling non game related stories to sucker in the casuals.

One thing I mentioned in another CC thread is how no longer focusing on trying to convince us that the WNBA=NBA has really helped the game. When basketball became more perimeter focus in the Curry era, that only helped the female game. Turns out marketing "OMG SHE JUST PULLED UP FROM 30 FEET!!!" is a lot better than "OMG SHE JUST DUNKED IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 2 DECADES!"
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,079

Post#75 » by zimpy27 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:21 pm

So the Big 3 does financially better than WNBA?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,095

Post#76 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:48 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:She'll simply have to build that league up like Wilt, Magic & Bird, Jordan, LeBron & Steph have done the NBA.

right mindset, bird made like 600k in his rookie year. make the number go up.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,284

Post#77 » by itrsteve » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:50 pm

KembaWalker wrote:This is the legacy of Diana Taurasi and all the bums trashing on her. They did nothing for the product. Caitlin will put them on her back

I think you're right. This will certainly be the first year I've gave a crap to watch the WNBA and doubt I'm alone.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,970

Post#78 » by jkvonny » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:Man if I were her I would have gone to the Big 3 for 5 million.

True.
Also, overseas they tend to pay more as well.

The WNBA is a struggling league and can be toxic (work environment) at times. Lot of the franchises tends to relocate often or fold. Not enuff teams in that league, to spread around more talent. Their league is so small (12 teams or so?), that every sing (current) team in that league has won a championship or 2, I believe (even the ones that have folded years past: Sacramento Monarchs, Houston Comets, etc). So, there is good parity there. They don't do a lot of expansion, either. Been like 2 decades since they even had one ! (Chicago Sky, ATL Dream?). Seems like they hang on to/keep the same ole players and the younger ones (even the drafted ones) gets cut/waived so they end up overseas. Until they get another chance to go back to the WNBA, when the older players age out. Is there a G League female version here in the states or Canada for WNBA?? I don't even know.

Hopefully things get better for that league.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,318

Post#79 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:00 pm

Buy WNBA stock, growth is coming
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,736

Post#80 » by Nate505 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 pm

itrsteve wrote:

I think you're right. This will certainly be the first year I've gave a crap to watch the WNBA and doubt I'm alone.

Same for me.

Honestly, for some people leaving a legacy is far more important than money, and the two often go hand in hand anyways.

For Clark, she can be the player who really puts the league on the map and becomes a modern day Magic/Bird/Jordan. She just needs the results they had to go with it. And honestly, that is worth far more than the $400k or whatever she's getting, and it will enable her to earn more. It's also worth more than the Big 3 Sideshow, even if she gets more money in the immediate term.

Return to The General Board