Luka most ppg in a season not including free throws since the merger

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ChipotleWest
Starter
And1: 2,155

Luka most ppg in a season not including free throws since the merger 

Post#1 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
ChipotleWest
Starter

Re: Luka most ppg in a season not including free throws since the merger 

Post#2 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:57 pm

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,859

Post#3 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:58 pm

The war against free throws is weird. Luka takes mostly jump shots.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,368

Post#4 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm

Damn.
Super impressive considering scoring isn't even considered his best skill (though it might be every bit as exceptional as his passing).
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#5 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:59 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:The war against free throws is weird. Luka takes mostly jump shots.

Which is why it's more impressive that he's scoring so much, since free throws are free and all. I don't see what's not to get about that.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,232

Post#6 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:The war against free throws is weird. Luka takes mostly jump shots.

It isn't weird, it's a response to BS artists like Harden and Embiid.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,936

Post#7 » by Oscar9992 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:00 pm

tsherkin wrote:

It translates well into the Playoffs... unlike FTs boosted stats.
Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,936

Luka has the Highest PPG + APG + RPG since NBA merger! 

Post#8 » by Oscar9992 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 pm

Luka has the Highest PPG + APG + RPG since NBA merger!

Read on Twitter
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

It translates well into the Playoffs... unlike FTs boosted stats.

Calling them "boosted stats" is useless, though. And many guys manage to maintain a good portion of their FTr in the playoffs, so it's not even an affected argument. Even playoff droppers like Robinson and Malone actually dropped off more in FG% than they did in draw rate. Harden is a .474 FTr guy in the playoffs; Embiid .558.

Nothing about the playoffs is causing the problem those guys face. FTAs are not the culprit either.
advent11
Sophomore
And1: 287

Post#10 » by advent11 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:20 pm

tsherkin wrote:

Luka is a BS artist too.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 pm

advent11 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Luka is a BS artist too.

No, that's nonsensical BS. Luka is a .368 FTr dude who relies on jumpers and postups and conventional shooting in order to get his work done. He is adept at drawing fouls but he doesn't profile as that level of BS artist at all, that's just fabricated nonsense.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,539

Post#12 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 pm

Kind of misleading. He has a pretty healthy free throw rate and this implies otherwise. Not on the level of Giannis or SGA or Embiid of course, but Luka's is good for 30th in the league and 3rd in the top 10 (4th if Embiid qualified).
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#13 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:14 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Kind of misleading. He has a pretty healthy free throw rate and this implies otherwise. Not on the level of Giannis or SGA or Embiid of course, but Luka's is good for 30th in the league and 3rd in the top 10 (4th if Embiid qualified).

No, it actually has nothing to do with his free throw rate at all. These points are separate from free throws. This shows he scores better than anyone when it's not free throws instead of just adding the free throws and saying "this is how many points he scored". Like when Harden scored 36 ppg but made 10 free throws a game. Since this is the highest non-free throw ppg since the merger it is impressive. He scores 34 a game this season but only adds 6.8 ppg with free throws.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by tsherkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:17 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:Kind of misleading. He has a pretty healthy free throw rate and this implies otherwise. Not on the level of Giannis or SGA or Embiid of course, but Luka's is good for 30th in the league and 3rd in the top 10 (4th if Embiid qualified).

None of that is relevant, though, to what he is accomplishing independent of his FTAs, which is the point.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,325

Post#15 » by MrGoat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:21 pm

They also showed a graphic last game that he has the most points created per game counting points and assists in NBA history at 57+ per game this year to even top Harden's MVP season. First time I saw the graphic it went back to 1996 and I figured Wilt had enough assists in his 50 point season to top it but it turned out that even that didn't do it. (50.4 points and 2.4 all two pointer assists only goes to 55.2)
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,501

Post#16 » by Maverick41 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:39 pm

Luka averages the 3rd most drives per game in the NBA. Let's not act like he's just hanging around the perimeter all game.

*Note I didn't count Ja as he only played 9 games.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,539

Post#17 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:46 pm

tsherkin wrote:

None of that is relevant, though, to what he is accomplishing independent of his FTAs, which is the point.

He had one of the absolute best scoring seasons ever. I don't find his non-FT scoring average to be worthy of accolade independent of that. I don't see this is as a separate accomplishment worthy of a separate celebration. He's just a great scorer overall.

Percentage of points scored on field goals is a more interesting and useful stat to me. For example Kyrie's ability to score efficiently while taking so few free throws is far more noteworthy if we're just talking about this specific thing.
ChipotleWest
Starter

Post#18 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:51 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

He had one of the absolute best scoring seasons ever. I don't find his non-FT scoring average to be worthy of accolade independent of that. I don't see this is as a separate accomplishment worthy of a separate celebration. He's just a great scorer overall.

Percentage of points scored on field goals is a more interesting and useful stat to me. For example Kyrie's ability to score efficiently while taking so few free throws is far more noteworthy if we're just talking about this specific thing.

Kyrie is 49.7% to Luka's 48.7% with less shots. It's not some huge discrepancy. If Luka was shooting 42% from the field you might have a point.

But honestly I could tell from the first post you just came in here to complain. Plenty of people are impressed with it it doesn't matter really if you aren't sorry.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,537

Post#19 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:53 pm

But what's his rebounders per game on Tuesdays after 5 cups of Gatorade?
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,407

Post#20 » by gottamakeit » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 pm

tsherkin wrote:
advent11 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Luka is a BS artist too.

No, that's nonsensical BS. Luka is a .368 FTr dude who relies on jumpers and postups and conventional shooting in order to get his work done. He is adept at drawing fouls but he doesn't profile as that level of BS artist at all, that's just fabricated nonsense.

I think the truth is in the middle. around once a game, Luka will bait the defender into jumping in the air early and drawing the foul by jumping into the defender. They type of play stick in your head, and that's why i think its somewhat appropriate to call Luka a FT artist even if he doesn't draw them at the highest rate
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it

Return to The General Board