2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers (DEN WINS 4-1)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Nuggets in 4
27%
Nuggets in 5
38%
Nuggets in 6
17%
Nuggets in 7
1%
Lakers in 7
5%
Lakers in 6
8%
Lakers in 5
0%
Lakers in 4
3%

Total votes: 404

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,553

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers (DEN leads 2-0) 

Post#3041 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:46 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
He's a hooper not Marcus smart or Tony Allen
Dinwiddie is not even trying to shoot because it's Ham's game plan lol. Lakers need to get atleast Gabe or Spencer to help DLo and Reaves carry the guard scoring
Hopefully Woods can be that guy who's allowed to throw up a few 3's to be that x factor.

Denver has beaten you 10 times in a row but yes absolutely, all the Lakers need to do is give Spencer Dinwiddie more offense and they'll easily win 4 of the next 5 games.

Spencer or Gabe have to score lol
Or should the Lakers keep doing the same thing from the past 10 games and keep losing?

Maybe just maybe make adjustments, might be a good thing to give yourself a chance

Nothing wrong with fans trying to think of possible adjustments to give their team an advantage. It's when you say stuff like...
If Lakers protect home court they will win this series

and then suggest Spencer Dinwiddie can help do that, non-Lakers fans feel you need a reality check.

I'm not telling you to give up hope, I'm telling you that the Lakers aren't one adjustment away from turning this series around. They're making significant adjustments every game. They're playing a superior opponent that has massive advantages against them. I actually admire the how the Lakers are playing. They show up to every Nuggets game and execute their gameplan extremely well. You can tell the players are locked in, high effort, and high-execution.

There will be new adjustments next game too. Maybe even ones that get Dinwiddie going. I just think you should be talking about winning a single game or making the series competitive instead of being like: this is how the Lakers win (against a team that has beaten them 10 times in a row).

I dunno. When I was watching my T-Wolves in the early 2000s get eliminated in the first round by the Spurs, Lakers, Mavs... I was never like "if we can just get Kendall Gill going we got this". I knew we had almost zero chance. I hoped to make it a competitive series (we made it to 6 games against the Lakers in 2003!) and also hoped for a flat out miracle.

Seeing Lakers fans treat this series like they can win without a miracle is hard to take seriously. You're a play-in team playing the defending champs. The team that swept you last year in the playoffs, then swept you in the regular season, and has won 10 straight games against you.

I'm not saying you can't possibly win. I think it requires something closer to a miracle than a Spencer Dinwiddie based adjustment.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
LaLover11
Pro Prospect
And1: 524

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers (DEN leads 2-0) 

Post#3042 » by LaLover11 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:05 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
Denver has beaten you 10 times in a row but yes absolutely, all the Lakers need to do is give Spencer Dinwiddie more offense and they'll easily win 4 of the next 5 games.

Or should the Lakers keep doing the same thing from the past 10 games and keep losing?

Maybe just maybe make adjustments, might be a good thing to give yourself a chance

Nothing wrong with fans trying to think of possible adjustments to give their team an advantage. It's when you say stuff like...

and then suggest Spencer Dinwiddie can help do that, non-Lakers fans feel you need a reality check.

I'm not telling you to give up hope, I'm telling you that the Lakers aren't one adjustment away from turning this series around. They're making significant adjustments every game. They're playing a superior opponent that has massive advantages against them. I actually admire the how the Lakers are playing. They show up to every Nuggets game and execute their gameplan extremely well. You can tell the players are locked in, high effort, and high-execution.

There will be new adjustments next game too. Maybe even ones that get Dinwiddie going. I just think you should be talking about winning a single game or making the series competitive instead of being like: this is how the Lakers win (against a team that has beaten them 10 times in a row).

I dunno. When I was watching my T-Wolves in the early 2000s get eliminated in the first round by the Spurs, Lakers, Mavs... I was never like "if we can just get Kendall Gill going we got this". I knew we had almost zero chance. I hoped to make it a competitive series (we made it to 6 games against the Lakers in 2003!) and also hoped for a flat out miracle.

Seeing Lakers fans treat this series like they can win without a miracle is hard to take seriously. You're a play-in team playing the defending champs. The team that swept you last year in the playoffs, then swept you in the regular season, and has won 10 straight games against you.

I'm not saying you can't possibly win. I think it requires something closer to a miracle than a Spencer Dinwiddie based adjustment.

Spencer would be the miracle... That's the point
Just like Christian Braun is that little bit of random offense and energy the nuggets get from him.

Woods would be the other miracle like I've mentioned
Vando coming back and helping guard Porter Jr or Murray would be a big miracle that could help change the series, Gabe also needs to stop thinking and shoot!

4 potential miracles right there, if one or two come true
Well that's what would push Lakers to protect home court because most likely " role players " play better at their Home Arena vs being at the defending champs arena with high altitude disadvantage!

This very moment the Lakers and Nuggets are 1-1 in Playoff Series vs each others, Both won a Ring

It's a lot closer than people keep making it
Don't bring up Regular Season Games

Lakers we're up both games and keep getting tired
Only realistic option would be to have help off the bench
You can't expect to play LeBron and AD 48 Minutes
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,526

Post#3043 » by Mavrelous » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:29 pm

Don't know if it was posted, but Jokic finally converted Nick Wright
Read on Twitter
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,313

Post#3044 » by Lunartic » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:34 pm

Doranku wrote:
Loaded_Hollows wrote:LeBum lookin shakyyyyy babyyyyy

27/7/10 on 63% TS against the defending champs at age 39 in what really should be a 1-1 series with LA going home. I don't even like LeBron but y'all are ridiculous sometimes lol

Why should it really be 1-1?

Did the 2 previous Nuggets FGAs get waved off post-game or something?
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#3045 » by perempe20 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:54 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
perempe20 wrote:I like Jokic, but his defensive shortcomings were exposed in the first half. I mean those open mid-range shots. They were great plays for the Lakers, I don't know why did not run those plays later.

Because AD only shot 1 time in the 4th quarter
He needs to demand the ball and not stand in the corner

I was only criticizing Jokic's defense
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#3046 » by perempe20 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
perempe20 wrote:I like Jokic, but his defensive shortcomings were exposed in the first half. I mean those open mid-range shots. They were great plays for the Lakers, I don't know why did not run those plays later.

Aren't midrange shots the least valuable shots in the game? Nuggets defensive schemes are based on letting Davis shoot those shots, the same as with Bam last year in the finals.

AD shooting in the playoffs against Denver 2023
in the paint (non-ra) 48.0%
mid-range 36.4%

AD shooting in regular season 2023-24
in the paint (non-ra) 43.3%
mid-range 37.5%

AD shooting in regular season against Denver 2023-24
in the paint (non-ra) 36.4%
mid-range 25.0%

AD shooting in the playoffs against Denver 2024
in the paint (non-ra) 57.9%
mid-range 83.3%

Last game
in the paint (non-ra) 80%
mid-range 75%

I see a lot of open midrange shots for AD in next games, and I'm 100% sure he wont be shooting them 80%/75%

I agree, but look at those wide open shots! They are good shots in the playoffs.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,553

Post#3047 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:08 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

Spencer would be the miracle... That's the point
Just like Christian Braun is that little bit of random offense and energy the nuggets get from him.

Woods would be the other miracle like I've mentioned
Vando coming back and helping guard Porter Jr or Murray would be a big miracle that could help change the series, Gabe also needs to stop thinking and shoot!

4 potential miracles right there, if one or two come true
Well that's what would push Lakers to protect home court because most likely " role players " play better at their Home Arena vs being at the defending champs arena with high altitude disadvantage!

This very moment the Lakers and Nuggets are 1-1 in Playoff Series vs each others, Both won a Ring

It's a lot closer than people keep making it
Don't bring up Regular Season Games

Lakers we're up both games and keep getting tired
Only realistic option would be to have help off the bench
You can't expect to play LeBron and AD 48 Minutes

You tell me not to bring up the regular season but you want to bring up a playoff series from 4 years ago! Both these teams had different players and the players they did have were different ages. 24-year-old Jokic instead of prime Jokic. Closer to his prime Lebron. KCP is on the Nuggets now instead of the Lakers. Murray and MPJ were 22 and 21. Aaron Gordon was in Orlando and Denver was starting a washed up version of Paul Millsap in his place. Lakers had more shooting, more perimeter defense, and more rim protection against a much younger, less formed Denver team.

I probably wouldn't bring up the regular season games if they weren't part of such a massive body of evidence about this matchup. It's weird for you to ignore that you've played this team 10 times over 2 years and haven't won a single game. All I'm really saying is that it's weird that you still believe you're one role player popping off from winning 4 games against a team that clearly has your number.

- Vando got played off the floor in last years series. He would help your defense for sure but he'd hurt your offense so it's not clear he's worth it. Every team Vando has played for has faced this dilemma, the Lakers most recently.
- Lakers have been up in tons of playoff games against the Nuggets. Their problem has been closing them out.
- Wood is just as likely to hurt the Lakers with his poor pick & roll/post defense as he is to help.

Little things aren't miracles and the Lakers aren't small role player performances away from winning this series. They're small role performances from maybe winning a game.

Like... go off, king! Root for your team and hold out hope. Just know that everyone else is raising their eyebrows and rolling their eyes out of their head when fans like you talk about how close this is and how winnable this is and suggest tiny adjustments.

Again. Not saying it's impossible for the Lakers to win. We've seen all kinds of wild things in the playoffs. Nuggets could get hit with an injury. But saying Spencer Dinwiddie is going to flip the series, you have to admit is pretty silly.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,429

Post#3048 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:56 pm

perempe20 wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:

Aren't midrange shots the least valuable shots in the game? Nuggets defensive schemes are based on letting Davis shoot those shots, the same as with Bam last year in the finals.

mid-range 36.4%

mid-range 37.5%

mid-range 25.0%

mid-range 83.3%

Last game
mid-range 75%

I see a lot of open midrange shots for AD in next games, and I'm 100% sure he wont be shooting them 80%/75%

I agree, but look at those wide open shots! They are good shots in the playoffs.

You have to play the percentages and give something up. Jokic will always give up the midrange shots. If AD continues to hit 75-80% the Lakers might come back and win the series. He was on fire and couldn't miss. Can he keep that up?
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,802

Post#3049 » by TunaFish » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:25 pm

In game 2 Murray and KCP did not hit a single 3 point shot. Don't look for that to continue.
Canned in Denver.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,760

Post#3050 » by TinmanZBoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:33 pm

Mavrelous wrote:Don't know if it was posted, but Jokic finally converted Nick Wright
Read on Twitter

Nobody can make that Mickey Mouse sound right… I mean nobody… he is always wrong
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 5,906

Post#3051 » by Doranku » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:48 pm

Lunartic wrote:
Doranku wrote:
Loaded_Hollows wrote:LeBum lookin shakyyyyy babyyyyy

27/7/10 on 63% TS against the defending champs at age 39 in what really should be a 1-1 series with LA going home. I don't even like LeBron but y'all are ridiculous sometimes lol

Why should it really be 1-1?

Did the 2 previous Nuggets FGAs get waved off post-game or something?

Because there's no excuse to blow a 20 point lead in the playoffs. Not saying they deserved to win or something. Quite the opposite. My point was just that he's not putting up these numbers in blowout losses. They were right there to steal HCA but the whole team crumbled unfortunately.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#3052 » by Alatan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:51 pm

perempe20 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

That was not on Jokics defense. No player in the league could stop AD from making those mid range jumpers, turnaround jumpers and hooks. Maybe Wemby, but thats not a fair comparison to anyone. It had nothing to do with Jokic. Even if Jokic played him tighter he would risk getting into foul trouble and we all know how big of a flopper AD is and how easy the LA whistle is.

AD was just in the Zone and then he cooled off after sitting on the bench for too long. Playing 40 minutes on altitude might have also played a part.
Donuts83
Freshman
And1: 67

Post#3053 » by Donuts83 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:01 pm

Alatan wrote:
perempe20 wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

That was not on Jokics defense. No player in the league could stop AD from making those mid range jumpers, turnaround jumpers and hooks. Maybe Wemby, but thats not a fair comparison to anyone. It had nothing to do with Jokic. Even if Jokic played him tighter he would risk getting into foul trouble and we all know how big of a flopper AD is and how easy the LA whistle is.

AD was just in the Zone and then he cooled off after sitting on the bench for too long. Playing 40 minutes on altitude might have also played a part.

Let's be real. Jokic has no chance against AD. They have to put Gordon on him and have Jokic help thats the reality. Jokic is not a defensive player. Ad can get face ups, hooks and middies whenever he wants against Jokic. LOL. This series has come down to the role players and coaching like I knew it would. Denver trust the role players to contribute the lakers dont. It's that simple.
Donuts83
Freshman

Post#3054 » by Donuts83 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:02 pm

Rui is an atrocious rebounder for a power forward. He is too focused on scoring and disengages when he isn't getting his touches. Wood stole alot of his minutes in the regular season because of that reason.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,579

Post#3055 » by Alatan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 pm

Donuts83 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
perempe20 wrote:I was only criticizing Jokic's defense

Let's be real. Jokic has no chance against AD. They have to put Gordon on him and have Jokic help thats the reality. Jokic is not a defensive player. Ad can get face ups, hooks and middies whenever he wants against Jokic. LOL. This series has come down to the role players and coaching like I knew it would. Denver trust the role players to contribute the lakers dont. It's that simple.

Jokic is not a a great one on one defensive player but it is stupid to blame him for ADs scoring in the 2nd game. As I said. Not a single player not named Wembenyama could have stopped AD from getting is when he was that hot. Even AG didnt stop AD in the 2nd half. AD just cooled off, got tired or gave up.
That being said putting AG on Davis was a great defensive adjustment because it enabled AG to switch on LBJ in the PnR or force LBJ to run PnR with Rui relegating AD to a corner shooter.
Donuts83
Freshman

Post#3056 » by Donuts83 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 pm

AD didn't cool off. The lakers went to "lebronball" as always. The coach refuses to rein him in. Ad is not a guard. He needs the guards to get him the ball He took one shot attempt in the 4th quarter. Thats just poor execution and coaching.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,784

Post#3057 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:29 pm

perempe20 wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:

mid-range 36.4%

mid-range 37.5%

mid-range 25.0%

mid-range 83.3%

Last game
mid-range 75%

I mean Im sure that was the gameplan and will continue to be the gameplan. Denver gave up 103 points and 99 points in the first 2 games. And that is with AD shooting well above his normal ability from the mid range game.

Denver had the same gameplan last year in the finals against Bam. Bam scored at least 20 points in every game in the Finals last year. Miami only scored in the triple digits 1 time in the 5 games. Denver wasnt just going to live with Bam taking a high volume of open mid range shots, they were hoping Bam would continue to do so.

AD taking a bunch of open mid range shots is only a positive for Denver and exactly what they want.

1st, AD isnt Dirk or KD when it comes to the mid range. Dude is an average mid range jump shooter. So he's bound to come back down to earth, even if he doesnt again look at the scoring by LA so far in the series as a team, they havent been lighting it up.

2nd, it saves Jokic energy on defense and it keeps him from foul trouble.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,767

Post#3058 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:35 pm

I don't bet on sports too much anymore but damn, just about a pickem game. I kind of want to liquidate everything and put every dollar on the Nuggets ML.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,493

Post#3059 » by nbafan38 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:44 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:I don't bet on sports too much anymore but damn, just about a pickem game. I kind of want to liquidate everything and put every dollar on the Nuggets ML.

For one game up 2-0 in a series? I wouldn't touch that personally.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 7,795

Post#3060 » by AleksandarN » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

Mir wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Denver has the best player in the league and they have surrounded him with a starting lineup that is absolutely perfectly complimentary - and the result is a 5 man squad that is far, far more than the sum of its parts. The Denver starting lineup when they are humming is absolutely beautiful basketball. Unselfish, engaged, each guy trusting the other to do the right thing.

I love watching this Nuggets squad play.

Yes they have the best starting 5 of the league, but man, I hate their bench with a passion... Nuggets FO did a really awful job.

You do know the Nuggets bench is a positive this series. Payton Watson and Christian Braun balled out. Actually Watson is my third favourite Nuggets behind Murray and Jokic. I really think Payton will become a household name by the end of the playoffs.

Return to The General Board