2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers (DEN WINS 4-1)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins?

Nuggets in 4
27%
Nuggets in 5
38%
Nuggets in 6
17%
Nuggets in 7
1%
Lakers in 7
5%
Lakers in 6
8%
Lakers in 5
0%
Lakers in 4
3%

Total votes: 404

LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 783

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers (DEN leads 3-1) 

Post#5261 » by LaLover11 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:04 am

whatever_ wrote:I didn't watch the game.

What was the adjustment the Lakers made to reduce Aaron Gordon to 7 points (3-7 FG)?

Watching the Post Game interview from the Laker Players. They mention they had extra film sessions about keeping a body on Gordon to Limit easy points
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers (DEN leads 3-1) 

Post#5262 » by Hans1984 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:24 am

Well, at least no sweep. I take it.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,326

Post#5263 » by lambchop » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:28 am

LaLover11 wrote:

What was the adjustment the Lakers made to reduce Aaron Gordon to 7 points (3-7 FG)?

Watching the Post Game interview from the Laker Players. They mention they had extra film sessions about keeping a body on Gordon to Limit easy points

Also interesting how the Lakers copied the nuggets offense. It was D-Lo with AD in the pick n roll or AD mid to high post action, while LBJ was in Gordon's dunker spot for cuts and easy finishes.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
AmIWrongDude
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,136

Post#5264 » by AmIWrongDude » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:32 am

Don’t let him get wide open dunks.

LA’s plan last game seemed to be to play off Gordon to help on Jokic and Murray and they learned the hard way it wasn’t a viable strategy.

Overall Denver just didn’t seem to have it in game 4 though
pontius
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,118

Post#5265 » by pontius » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 am

The Nuggets have shot 27.6% from three this postseason. Only the Cavs are shooting worse. :lol:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,615

Post#5266 » by tsherkin » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:44 am

Welp. That didnt end as I expected. Bench was useless, Murray sucked, and LA's O was clicking.
K9J
Ballboy
And1: 30

Post#5267 » by K9J » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 am

GeorgeSears wrote:Congrats to the Lakers for averting the sweep. They did two things they haven't done all series: outrebound the Nuggets and committed less turnovers. AD getting 23 rebound was the the difference maker here. It really should be 2-2 instead of 3-1. The game 2 choke job is what will haunt them.

Other points:
- Jokic was embarrassing defensively. He just showed no effort at all on that end. The Lakers had 72 points in the paint. Everyone was attacking the basket and scoring at will with no resistance at all. It was easily the worst performance he's had in a very long time because he did absolutely nothing on defense.
- The Nuggets bench finally got outplayed by the Lakers bench. I knew the honeymoon phase wasn't going to last long. Sure enough, it didn't.

Oh well, got to close it out in game 5.

Jokic is embarrassing defensively always in what lakers did in game 4..i mean he is underrated as a defender static, he is good in the post or when he is under the rim waiting the ball handler, but always in move plays/drives/pick&roll, the typical play when reaves turn, stop,or move on slowly with the ball, jokic mostly of those plays stay in no man's land, he doesn't even raise his arms to try to disturb bombs, hooks or shots at 2 -3 meters...

Only Aaron Gordon has the ability to change shots in the paint in denver..lakers could get every possession easy shots / layups in the paint, the problem is when lakers outplayed first half, and then started to try circus shots, stepbacks or whatever contested with 5 open guys and no one to catch offensive boards..the first game davis shoot about 4 threes in second half..one of them with deandre jordan in front of him...this doesnt make any sense

Second game lakers outplayed driving the paint, and then denver adjust in second half and put jokic on rui, gordon with davis, and kcp with lebron...easiest matchups to drive or post but davis did a TO and just lost confidence and move to the corner to be passive...rui get a ball in wing left and hit a three with jokic hand in his face...when if he fake and drive fast with first step he could have made a layup or pass to the dunk spot or cut of another player..

lakers just have to penetrate/drive 48 min..and when denver close the paint pass out and hit the open threes
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,029

Post#5268 » by FreeBird23 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 am

I feel like the Nuggets didnt really try on the last two games.
I would not be surprised if game 5 is a blowout by Denver.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,145

Post#5269 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:18 pm

pontius wrote:The Nuggets have shot 27.6% from three this postseason. Only the Cavs are shooting worse. :lol:

I just don’t get how they’re so bad……
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 783

Post#5270 » by LaLover11 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:
pontius wrote:The Nuggets have shot 27.6% from three this postseason. Only the Cavs are shooting worse. :lol:

Maybe just maybe it's the Lakers Defense and their shooters having to Guard LeBron posting them up and getting them exhausted/bruised up.

Nobody in the League has the speed and strength like LeBron currently in the West. Giannis is the only one but he's more straight like offense vs Post Up LeBron

Kawhi is the only one that can cause damage like that but he's currently really injured.

I've noticed LeBron learned to get the ball deeper in the paint this recent game vs staying in the perimeter game 1-3. Notice how Once LeBron saw Gordon wasn't on him he went straight to work
lambchop
General Manager

Post#5271 » by lambchop » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:39 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

Maybe just maybe it's the Lakers Defense and their shooters having to Guard LeBron posting them up and getting them exhausted/bruised up.

Nobody in the League has the speed and strength like LeBron currently in the West. Giannis is the only one but he's more straight like offense vs Post Up LeBron

Kawhi is the only one that can cause damage like that but he's currently really injured.

I've noticed LeBron learned to get the ball deeper in the paint this recent game vs staying in the perimeter game 1-3. Notice how Once LeBron saw Gordon wasn't on him he went straight to work

Good observation. It was an "awesome shooting performance" by LBJ, however, the shots weren't that difficult. He immediately posted up smaller dudes and when he had AG on him, he opted for the pick n roll and was then able to get exploit those Denver switches or simply use his speed against Jokic.

We'll see how Denver adjusts.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,647

Post#5272 » by AleksandarN » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:41 pm

This is a crazy stat

Read on Twitter
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,207

Post#5273 » by KyRo23 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:55 pm

lambchop wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:I just don’t get how they’re so bad……

Good observation. It was an "awesome shooting performance" by LBJ, however, the shots weren't that difficult. He immediately posted up smaller dudes and when he had AG on him, he opted for the pick n roll and was then able to get exploit those Denver switches or simply use his speed against Jokic.

True, but you just described a lot of what makes Jokic so good on offense. Unless it's a bail out 3, none of Jokic's shots are very tough either. It's basically posting up a smaller dude, hook, up and under, what have you. No need to out "awesome shooting performance" in quotes
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,456

Post#5274 » by Lost Angel » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:02 pm

that game 2 buzzer beater hurts a lot more now that Lakers aren’t getting swept. Literally seconds away from being a 2-2 series

Lakers take Game 5 and 6 but lose game 7
lambchop
General Manager

Post#5275 » by lambchop » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
lambchop wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

True, but you just described a lot of what makes Jokic so good on offense. Unless it's a bail out 3, none of Jokic's shots are very tough either. It's basically posting up a smaller dude, hook, up and under, what have you. No need to out "awesome shooting performance" in quotes

It's not meant to criticize bron. I was actually applauding him for an extremely cerebral game. Over the years I've seen bron work very hard to score 30 on elite efficiency. An example would be those ECF games in 2018 against the Celtics. But yesterday night he played completely within the flow of the game. There were few plays where he had to "impose his will". Impressive stuff.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,666

Post#5276 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:19 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
lambchop wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:

He didn’t waste any energy fighting Gordon which is smart and just capitalized on the other matchups. Great game plan.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,207

Post#5277 » by KyRo23 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 pm

lambchop wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:
lambchop wrote:Good observation. It was an "awesome shooting performance" by LBJ, however, the shots weren't that difficult. He immediately posted up smaller dudes and when he had AG on him, he opted for the pick n roll and was then able to get exploit those Denver switches or simply use his speed against Jokic.

It's not meant to criticize bron. I was actually applauding him for an extremely cerebral game. Over the years I've seen bron work very hard to score 30 on elite efficiency. An example would be those ECF games in 2018 against the Celtics. But yesterday night he played completely within the flow of the game. There were few plays where he had to "impose his will". Impressive stuff.

Good points. I wish he would do it more. Seemed he had extra energy as well. His energy may be conserved in different ways as I was always told that posting up used a ton of energy. I think at his age full out sprints and drives use more energy for him rather than posting up
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,282

Post#5278 » by Ben-N1ce » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:30 pm

D'lo shooting better than Murray in the series even when scoring zero in a game..
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,666

Post#5279 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:35 pm

KyRo23 wrote:
lambchop wrote:
KyRo23 wrote:

Good points. I wish he would do it more. Seemed he had extra energy as well. His energy may be conserved in different ways as I was always told that posting up used a ton of energy. I think at his age full out sprints and drives use more energy for him rather than posting up

Agreed and he was posting up smaller players too which conserves energy. Even a smaller guy like Lou Dort would zap LeBron because of his strength and tenacity but he is choosing smart matchups. Hence not wasting energy on Gordon.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,982

Post#5280 » by Liam_Gallagher » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm

The Lakers have led in 70% of the minutes so far in this series. Absolutely insane.

Serious should be 2-2.

Return to The General Board