2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: #2 Denver Nuggets vs #7 Los Angeles Lakers (DEN WINS 4-1)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Nuggets in 4
27%
Nuggets in 5
38%
Nuggets in 6
17%
Nuggets in 7
1%
Lakers in 7
5%
Lakers in 6
8%
Lakers in 5
0%
Lakers in 4
3%

Total votes: 404

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,303

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: Western Conference First Round: (2) Denver Nuggets vs (7) Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#141 » by mademan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:33 pm

LaLover11 wrote:
cupcakesnake wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:Also guard everyone especially Murray and just dare Jokic to score 50 a game idk lol I'm excited

This is literally what every single opponent tried to do last year.

It's not so simple to just "guard everyone" and turn them off just by not sending help at one player. NBA teams can still score against 5-4 defenses. It's not like by not sending help at Joker you all of a sudden have 10 extra defenders to throw at everyone else.

Jokic is too automatic when you don't try to bother his shot. He's the rare scorer that might just shoot 19 for 20 if you don't try to bother his shot. It's not tenable to let an opponent shoot 95% on 20 of their FGA lol. Dare Jokic to score and he'll... well... score!

There's no easy out. You have to bother Jokic and disrupt passing lanes to defend the Nuggets offense. Defend your tail off and hope the Nuggets get some ill timed cold stretches.

Lakers have lost 8 straight to the Nuggets. Something wild will have to happen for this to be a series.

Please let him go 20-20 for 40 pts every game while Rui guards him and Let LeBron and AD be fresh trying to score 60 together. If Lakers can keep Murray at a reasonable 15-18ppg and the other spot shooters in control that's their only chance to realistically win this series

Absolutely no help defense whatsoever on Jokic ever not even to fake double at all please

This is such a wild idea. Jokic will literally score 90% of the time against single coverage right at the rim. He's just too big and too skilled to be guarded 1v1 without any help whatsoever

Any coach that comes up with this strategy would be fired the next day, lmao
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,397

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: Western Conference First Round: (2) Denver Nuggets vs (7) Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#142 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:34 pm

jc23 wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
jc23 wrote:lebron and ad have been healthy all year and their role guys seem to have played better as of late. Denver looked a bit less dominant late in the season compared to how they finished last year. Denver is the better team assuming no injuries but the lakers are more dangerous in the first round then they would be in the wcf. This could go 7.

2022-23 post all-star break
Nuggets 12-11, 15th in the NBA

2023-24 post all-star break
Nuggets 21-6, 1st in the NBA

Last year they secured 1st in the west so they realxed a little at the end, anyway this year's end is much better

ok, guess my memory tricked me again. How do you feel about your bench going into this playoffs vs last? will losing Brown be felt or do you think that his contribution has been filled by others?

I'm less worried about the bench because the rotations will be much shorter. The starting lineup will play 38-40 minutes a game, compared to 32-34 during the regular season. That means no "full bench" units. Brown and Watson will be on the floor with Jokic and Murray.

The only concern is an injury to a starter.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,836

Post#143 » by KembaWalker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:42 pm

It will take a 25+ free throw differential for the Lakers to take any given game, so they need that 4 times plus some luck. Not impossible
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,260

Post#144 » by Tracymcgoaty » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:53 pm

bruh if we win two games thats an achievement imo. Just keep it competitive like last year.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,411

Post#145 » by Ambrose » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:57 pm

My concern with Denver, not so much here, is that one of Braun/Watson/Jackson needs to be step up to be that super 6th guy like Brown was last year. The bench is definitely better/deeper overall, but Brown had some huge games.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 668

Post#146 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:13 pm

Ambrose wrote:My concern with Denver, not so much here, is that one of Braun/Watson/Jackson needs to be step up to be that super 6th guy like Brown was last year. The bench is definitely better/deeper overall, but Brown had some huge games.

My main concern with the bench unit is Reggie Jackson playing brain dead basketball like he usually does. He has the ability to kill momentum like few other players in the league. Fortunately in the playoffs Murray plays a lot more so that will directly cut into Jackson’s minutes.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,072

Post#147 » by EmpireFalls » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:24 pm

34 actual Lakers votes I have to laugh. There are 34 human beings who actually believe LA can win this?
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#148 » by Woodsanity » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:55 pm

Jokic is going to have to play 40+ mpg with how inconsistent the bench is. If the bench actually plays well it will be a 4 or 5 game series but if they play at a poor level it could be 6.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,303

Post#149 » by mademan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:58 pm

If Gabe Vincent can shoot decently well, does he get the start over Dlo at some point? Jamal Murray abused that backcourt and Gabe is actually a really good POA defender
kaansunman
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#150 » by kaansunman » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:19 pm

Sgt Major wrote:
kaansunman wrote:Targeting Jokic with high pick n rolls and make Murray switch on bigger bodies like LeBron, Rui will be key to wear them down.

Thanks, man, I feel a year younger reading this.

Not much changed in a year :dontknow: I hope Ham is more creative than me.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,171

Post#151 » by stoo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:28 pm

LeBronSpaghetti wrote:
Ambrose wrote:My concern with Denver, not so much here, is that one of Braun/Watson/Jackson needs to be step up to be that super 6th guy like Brown was last year. The bench is definitely better/deeper overall, but Brown had some huge games.

My main concern with the bench unit is Reggie Jackson playing brain dead basketball like he usually does. He has the ability to kill momentum like few other players in the league. Fortunately in the playoffs Murray plays a lot more so that will directly cut into Jackson’s minutes.

i have no idea why are people so onto reggie. he is doing the best possible impersonation of murray. it's literally the same type of 2man game with jokic. he's role in the playoffs will be to replace murray for a few minutes while jokic is on the court and murray off and nothing more. even some of those minutes it will be cb in instead
NotSinceWilt
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,794

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: (2) Denver Nuggets vs (7) Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#152 » by bisme37 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:30 pm

Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,498

Post#153 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:37 pm

zimpy27 wrote:I think Lakers win on of the first 2 games in Denver.. and it's going to scare people.

Between the weird free throw discrepancy the LeBroners...I mean Lakers have, and the fact that they haven't beaten Denver in 9 games, it's utterly assinine to assume Denver wins this series comfortably.

Worse case scenario for Denver.

I'm with you. LA is, without question, not a more sure thing in the world, is winning game one or two, and then winning game 3.

LA WILL 100% have a 2-1 series lead. I guarentee it.

Denver probably wins out, in 6 at that point.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see LA win in 5. Lebrons narrative is too strong.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#154 » by nomansland » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:51 pm

stoo wrote:
LeBronSpaghetti wrote:

i have no idea why are people so onto reggie. he is doing the best possible impersonation of murray. it's literally the same type of 2man game with jokic. he's role in the playoffs will be to replace murray for a few minutes while jokic is on the court and murray off and nothing more. even some of those minutes it will be cb in instead

The problem with Reggie's impersonation of Murray is he can't run the 2-man game with Jokic. He doesn't look to pass much at all, really. So if his shot is not falling, which happens 2/3 of the time, he's a big liability.

However we do know that he's not really capable of logging a lot of minutes and the team has had to overplay him this year. I'm hoping that with a week of rest and fewer minutes overall, we'll see him be more effective.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,512

Post#155 » by DoctorX » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:51 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I think Lakers win on of the first 2 games in Denver.. and it's going to scare people.

Between the weird free throw discrepancy the LeBroners...I mean Lakers have, and the fact that they haven't beaten Denver in 9 games, it's utterly assinine to assume Denver wins this series comfortably.

Worse case scenario for Denver.

I'm with you. LA is, without question, not a more sure thing in the world, is winning game one or two, and then winning game 3.

LA WILL 100% have a 2-1 series lead. I guarentee it.

Denver probably wins out, in 6 at that point.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see LA win in 5.
Lebrons narrative is too strong.

I have the Nuggets winning this series baring injuries but if the Lakers somehow beat a healthy Nuggest team I can't imagine them doing it in less than 6 or 7 games. A defending champion who's in their prime losing in that many games is very rare in the first round.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,246

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West 1st Round: (2) Denver Nuggets vs (7) Los Angeles Lakers 

Post#156 » by Sgt Major » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
MyTake_1
Sophomore
And1: 134

Post#157 » by MyTake_1 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:16 pm

Lakers are Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, they are inconsistent and all over the place, they are not beating the Nuggets.

It's just crazy talk.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,171

Post#158 » by stoo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:21 pm

nomansland wrote:
stoo wrote:
LeBronSpaghetti wrote:My main concern with the bench unit is Reggie Jackson playing brain dead basketball like he usually does. He has the ability to kill momentum like few other players in the league. Fortunately in the playoffs Murray plays a lot more so that will directly cut into Jackson’s minutes.

The problem with Reggie's impersonation of Murray is he can't run the 2-man game with Jokic. He doesn't look to pass much at all, really. So if his shot is not falling, which happens 2/3 of the time, he's a big liability.

However we do know that he's not really capable of logging a lot of minutes and the team has had to overplay him this year. I'm hoping that with a week of rest and fewer minutes overall, we'll see him be more effective.

he'll be fine for 8 minutes a game that he'll get in the playoffs

NotSinceWilt
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 326

Post#159 » by Hans1984 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm

It' gonna be tough. Lakers in 7.
In-N-Out 247
Junior
And1: 235

Post#160 » by In-N-Out 247 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:29 pm

Gonna be a tough series for the Lakers no doubt about it, but everyone acting like this is just gonna be some absolute blowout for the Nuggets is just not paying attention. Yes the Nuggets have beaten the Lakers 7 time in a row including last year's playoffs, but every game has been close in the 4th quarter. Nuggets have just been so much better at closing out games than the Lakers.

Lakers are going to have to be better at closing out games to stand a chance. They need to stop with all the Lebron ISO's and either have Reaves or DLO initiate or try to run a proper set.

Quick reminder of last year's playoffs:
2023 Playoffs Game 1 - Nuggets win 132 -126 - Lakers were down 3 with 1:12 to play
2023 Playoffs Game 2 - Nuggets win 108-103 - Lakers were down 2 with 1:07 to play
2023 Playoffs Game 3 - Nuggets win 119-108 - Lakers had a 1 point lead with 7:48 to play, Nuggets pulled away. This was the most lopsided game of the series
2023 Playoffs Game 4 - Nuggets win 113-111 - Game was tied with 1:13 to play

Total margin of victory for the 4 game sweep was 24. I have not researched this, but I suspect this was one of the lowest margin's of victory in a 4 game sweep in recent history.

Return to The General Board