Klay's next team and contract

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,157

Re: Klay's next team and contract 

Post#81 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:59 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
He was absolutely horrible this year. Stop looking at raw box metrics.

I know he was. When July hits and another franchise signs him, are you going to be surprised? You shouldn't be.

My issue is you called him productive. He wasn't. I'm sure someone will sign him...because of his history and reputation. But they aren't signing him because he was productive.

NBA teams are not going to see those stats and think he was unproductive. That's a fantasy.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,903

Post#82 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:01 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Klay Thompson averaged 17.9ppg and shot 38% from 3 and 92% from the line. He will be offered an MLE at a minimum. Remember Harrison Barnes' poor playoffs. That doesn't keep guys who are productive during the regular season from getting paid.

This is hyperbole. Most teams would be perfectly happy with the offensive production Klay provides from the wing position. If you’re a high volume movement 3pt shooter who stays within your role (61% of Klay’s shot attempts were from 3) you’re a positive offensive player. If you want to talk about defense then you’ll get no disagreement but saying Klay didn’t have value on the offensive end is untrue. How do we know this: if Klay were even a neutral defender multiple teams would line up to give him $20m/yr. He is still a positive offensive player.

Klay was a net negative player this year in total. While his shooting and spacing was a small plus, he was bad enough on defense to offset all of that and then some. And again lets not act like he was a meaningful plus offensive player. He wasn't on the whole. He was streaky where he had some good games, but over the course of the year he was a very mild plus on offense.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,581

Post#83 » by mademan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:04 pm

He's not a starter in this league anymore, but he's got name recognition so a team like the Magic will give him 20mill/year.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#84 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:05 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

This is hyperbole. Most teams would be perfectly happy with the offensive production Klay provides from the wing position. If you’re a high volume movement 3pt shooter who stays within your role (61% of Klay’s shot attempts were from 3) you’re a positive offensive player. If you want to talk about defense then you’ll get no disagreement but saying Klay didn’t have value on the offensive end is untrue. How do we know this: if Klay were even a neutral defender multiple teams would line up to give him $20m/yr. He is still a positive offensive player.

It reminds me of the Dillon Brooks should be playing in China crowd. He signs with Houston for 4/80 and everyone is like "how?" You can't be a prisoner of the moment. Klay is still an NBA player whether RealGM likes it or not. He's going to be on a roster unless he doesn't want to be.

Klay is an nba level player. He's somewhere in the top 250 players in the league, well outside the top 100.

The problem with Klay however is that he doesn't have the mental makeup to grasp that he isn't a top 100 player. Hell, not sure he can grasp he isn't a top 50 player. When players can't accept their reality they become massive negatives on teams. I'm sure a GM will sign him and he'll be on a team. But Klay is going to just continue to make his team worse.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#85 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:08 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Klay Thompson averaged 17.9ppg and shot 38% from 3 and 92% from the line. He will be offered an MLE at a minimum. Remember Harrison Barnes' poor playoffs. That doesn't keep guys who are productive during the regular season from getting paid.

Care to support this? Anyone can just say "he sucks" and then move on without supporting it.

I mean, you've seen the stats. Negative RAPM based metrics. Negative BPM. Below average PER and WS/48 while being placed in the secondary scorer role. What real value do you get with me repeating things you already know?

When you have a high volume shooter putting up a 99 TS%+ who can't guard his man, has terrible off ball awareness, and in general is a bad defender...that's a horrible player.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,817

Post#86 » by Rafael122 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:33 pm

I find it hard to believe the Warriors run it back. They just missed the playoffs with this current team so why run it back with everyone being a year older? At some point, loyalty can only go so far. Giving him $40 over 2 years is ridiculous. Dynasties never end well, so just rip the bandaid off.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,022

Post#87 » by Johnny Fontane » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:34 pm

In before he re-ups with GS like 1 year 10 million
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,289

Post#88 » by Impuniti » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:36 pm

I have no idea what Klay will be offered but those two examples are not relative. Barnes was 7-8 years younger than Klay is at that time which is a massive difference.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,992

Post#89 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:39 pm

He is a bench shooter at this point in his career, but I could see a team like ORL overpaying for him.

Which would be stupid.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,157

Post#90 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:42 pm

Impuniti wrote:

I have no idea what Klay will be offered but those two examples are not relative. Barnes was 7-8 years younger than Klay is at that time which is a massive difference.

What do you mean? I am talking about this past offseason (not his poor playoffs when he was a member of the Warriors). Barnes was bad in the playoffs last year and the Kings still gave him 3/54 million to stay. I'm saying Klay will get the MLE from someone. I don't find that to be farfetched at all.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,289

Post#91 » by Impuniti » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:45 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
Impuniti wrote:

What do you mean? I am talking about this past offseason (not his poor playoffs when he was a member of the Warriors). Barnes was bad in the playoffs last year and the Kings still gave him 3/54 million to stay. I'm saying Klay will get the MLE from someone. I don't find that to be farfetched at all.

MLE is very possible. Until the 0/10, a lot or rumours from the Warriors and others like Magic that would offer him 20-25m/year. Maybe it's a bit less now but MLE should be possible. As for more than that, we'll see.

My bad, I misunderstood you!
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,382

Post#92 » by xinxin » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:47 pm

He can be what Ray Allen was to the Miami Heat in 2013

Veteran role player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#93 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:48 pm

its obvious, that there is something going on mentally with him. wouldnt suprise me, if he wanted to go for a change of scenery just like the warriors after his last performances.

you dont just go 0-10 in a do or die for no reason, when you are a legendary shooter.
im bout dat action boss
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,523

Post#94 » by Ambrose » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:01 pm

Harrison Barnes was 23. Klay is 34.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,950

Post#95 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:50 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:He is a bench shooter at this point in his career, but I could see a team like ORL overpaying for him.

Which would be stupid.
No way is what most Magic fans say. There are like 25% of fans that like him. I think the glamor of his name supercedes his play at this point. I remember the Lakers signing Karl Malone and Gary Payton one year.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,658

Post#96 » by shi-woo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:13 pm

Warriors need to let him walk. Trying to pacify the Big 3 this year ruined the team when they had arguably 2-3 guys on the roster in Podz and Moodey better suited to get those minutes. You can't keep asking these guys to take a back seat when they are clearly the better players on both sides of the court.

If he does leave, I think he should go to the 76er's. It's really the only team that makes sense from a contending standpoint, money standpoint, and would mitigate his loses as a player. He would just be asked to knock down wide open 3's from Joel dbl teams and Maxey slicing through the defense to the rim. He would essentially be what they thought they were getting from Tobias, except we know Klay is always going to be a deadly 3pnt shooter and reliable in that role.

Sixers have money to pend, and could bring in other players to make that roster hum. Having a guy like Klay who is hypercompetative, has the championship experience, and an idol for the young guys they most likely will have on the roster would be huge.

This FA class is soooo bad, and the 76er's can afford to overpay for Klay as long as it's only 2/3 year contract. He's not good enough or young enough to demand anything other than that unless he takes a really favorable deal like Green did for the Warriors. 4/100 would be right for Klay, and you know the last year or two will be terrible, but you go for it. 76ers really can't just waste a year or two of Joel's final prime years just moving cap space around.

Go after 2way players in the draft, there are a ton of them this year (I'll say it a 1000 times, this raft is greaet for teams in the 10-20 range), and take it from there. You know you're getting some ring chasers.

Embiid- Edey (36)
Harris- Reed
Klay- Heild
Melton- Castle/Shannon (16th pick)
MAxey- - Lowry

Try and scoop those wonderful upperclassman that get overlooked every year with your 2nd round picks, and hope one can make the rotation.

Klay would look great in this role, scoring 15-20 on any night, not having to play defense too much, and just banging 3rs to his hearts content. It's the perfect match
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,809

Post#97 » by ConSarnit » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:43 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Klay was a net negative player this year in total. While his shooting and spacing was a small plus, he was bad enough on defense to offset all of that and then some. And again lets not act like he was a meaningful plus offensive player. He wasn't on the whole. He was streaky where he had some good games, but over the course of the year he was a very mild plus on offense.

I think we are close to the same page. Klay is still a plus on the offensive end but a negative on defense (especially so as a starter). If you brought him in as a bench player where his defensive assignments become easier I think the MLE is perfectly reasonable. He can still shoot and be a functional part of any offense. Almost any team would feel fine with him as their 7th man and that’s an MLE level salary slot. You can’t justify paying him starter money anymore but he can still be a role player.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,235

Post#98 » by RalphWiggum » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:48 pm

zimpy27 wrote:GSW - 4/$80m

They'll look after him
They've already taken great care of him, they'll move on.
KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,300

Post#99 » by KyRo23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:49 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:its obvious, that there is something going on mentally with him. wouldnt suprise me, if he wanted to go for a change of scenery just like the warriors after his last performances.

you dont just go 0-10 in a do or die for no reason, when you are a legendary shooter.

I’m not too sure about this. A legendary shooter who is aging, 0-10 seems wild, but doesn’t mean it’s mental. Ray Allen scored 0 points in game 7 against SA in 2013 after his legendary game 6 shot. Granted he wasn’t 0-10, he wasn’t much better.

It happens. Shooters shoot to get out of slumps. Klay just didn’t get to get out of his this game
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,809

Post#100 » by ConSarnit » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:52 pm

shi-woo wrote:Warriors need to let him walk. Trying to pacify the Big 3 this year ruined the team when they had arguably 2-3 guys on the roster in Podz and Moodey better suited to get those minutes. You can't keep asking these guys to take a back seat when they are clearly the better players on both sides of the court.

If he does leave, I think he should go to the 76er's. It's really the only team that makes sense from a contending standpoint, money standpoint, and would mitigate his loses as a player. He would just be asked to knock down wide open 3's from Joel dbl teams and Maxey slicing through the defense to the rim. He would essentially be what they thought they were getting from Tobias, except we know Klay is always going to be a deadly 3pnt shooter and reliable in that role.

Sixers have money to pend, and could bring in other players to make that roster hum. Having a guy like Klay who is hypercompetative, has the championship experience, and an idol for the young guys they most likely will have on the roster would be huge.

This FA class is soooo bad, and the 76er's can afford to overpay for Klay as long as it's only 2/3 year contract. He's not good enough or young enough to demand anything other than that unless he takes a really favorable deal like Green did for the Warriors. 4/100 would be right for Klay, and you know the last year or two will be terrible, but you go for it. 76ers really can't just waste a year or two of Joel's final prime years just moving cap space around.

Go after 2way players in the draft, there are a ton of them this year (I'll say it a 1000 times, this raft is greaet for teams in the 10-20 range), and take it from there. You know you're getting some ring chasers.

Embiid- Edey (36)
Harris- Reed
Klay- Heild
Melton- Castle/Shannon (16th pick)
MAxey- - Lowry

Try and scoop those wonderful upperclassman that get overlooked every year with your 2nd round picks, and hope one can make the rotation.

Klay would look great in this role, scoring 15-20 on any night, not having to play defense too much, and just banging 3rs to his hearts content. It's the perfect match

He can’t start anymore. He has no foot speed to guard wings so he’s forced to guard pf but he’s not a good enough help defender nor does he provide any type of rim protection. He’s a pretty big liability on the defensive end. The Sixers would be much better off starting Hield in your scenario because he provides similar shooting but can at least defend at an average level.

Return to The General Board