Jontay Porter banned from the NBA

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

KyRo23
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,025

Re: Jontay Porter banned from the NBA 

Post#301 » by KyRo23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 am

I’m sure it has been said, but it’s especially **** because he bet on his unders. Players have been caught gambling before without lifetime bans, but the fact that he sabotaged himself/team is what makes it far worse. If my guy was betting the over on himself and playing great, I’d bet he doesn’t get banned for life
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,770

Post#302 » by KembaWalker » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:32 am

even banned from the NBA he's still got enough inside info through his brother than he can probably get an edge on Nuggets games
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,080

Post#303 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:36 am

Wargreymon wrote:I wonder if michael porter jr is guilty for betting on nuggets games. Could run in the family but like someone else posted earlier, innocent until proven guilty and not guilty by association. Also Jontay is smart for betting the Raps to lose lol. You don’t need insider info for that to be a given…

Don’t **** on Michael Porter Jr. for no reason, that’s ****. He’s risen above a **** family situation and severe injuries to be a superstar and a champion. Disgusting post.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,641

Post#304 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 am

Are people really doing this? If you think Bridges should be banned for life, that's completely fine, and I pretty much agree, but it has nothing to do with this.

Porter should 100% be banned for life. There's no debate to be had and it is the only punishment he can receive. If you want to talk about Bridges, you can start a thread and talk about Bridges. There's no connection here at all.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 712

Post#305 » by UglyBugBall » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:49 am

Quattro wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
Quattro wrote:
I'm not sure what industry you work in but if I was criminally charged with domestic assault (or any other crime for that matter), id be looking for a new job. And most jobs are the same way.

It shouldn't be that way, and we certainly shouldn't have posters celebrating or advocating for that.

We shouldn't? Why? Because you think the Patriots shouldn't have cut Aaron Hernandez until he was convicted of a crime?

I don't watch football so I don't know what that is. I never even used the word convict. You should not lose your job even if convicted. It breeds recividism as ex convicts can't find gainful employment, are ostracised and pushed into crime again. If convicted they should be punished by the courts, but society doing it breeds significant negative side effects.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,933

Post#306 » by Reeko » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:28 am

UglyBugBall wrote:
Quattro wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
It shouldn't be that way, and we certainly shouldn't have posters celebrating or advocating for that.

We shouldn't? Why? Because you think the Patriots shouldn't have cut Aaron Hernandez until he was convicted of a crime?

I don't watch football so I don't know what that is. I never even used the word convict. You should not lose your job even if convicted. It breeds recividism as ex convicts can't find gainful employment, are ostracised and pushed into crime again. If convicted they should be punished by the courts, but society doing it breeds significant negative side effects.

So if you commit grand larceny and steal something from your work place, your employer shouldn't fire you?
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 712

Post#307 » by UglyBugBall » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:01 am

Reeko wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
Quattro wrote:

So if you commit grand larceny and steal something from your work place, your employer shouldn't fire you?

Read my previous post. You should only be fired if it directly affects your job. I.e beating your wife and working a women's shelter.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#308 » by art_tatum » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 am

Shock Defeat wrote:Crazy how he got banned while Ohtani is still playing cause his translator was able to take the fall

The world isn't fair. People are treated differently. If it was Lebron betting I'm sure the nba / klutch would work together behind the scenes to find a fall guy. Maybe have Lebron take a 1 yr vacation.

I mean isn't that partly what happened to Jordan
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,270

Post#309 » by og15 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 am

iggymcfrack wrote:
Wargreymon wrote:I wonder if michael porter jr is guilty for betting on nuggets games. Could run in the family but like someone else posted earlier, innocent until proven guilty and not guilty by association. Also Jontay is smart for betting the Raps to lose lol. You don’t need insider info for that to be a given…

Don’t **** on Michael Porter Jr. for no reason, that’s ****. He’s risen above a **** family situation and severe injuries to be a superstar and a champion. Disgusting post.

Poster said "could run in the family", that's not how humans work.

Why say that then follow up with "innocent until proven guilty and not guilty by association". If the second part is genuine then the first part shouldn't have been said at all, which means the whole thing shouldn't have been said.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#310 » by art_tatum » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 am

Nba bout to ban Michael Porter jr too since the nuggets are playing the lakers
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,671

Post#311 » by Rainwater » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:24 am

disoblige wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
picc wrote:Does anyone know how exactly they found out Jontay was doing this?

I believe a third party regulator contacted the NBA after a 80k bid involving Jontay became a 1.1 million dollar payout.

They have personal information and contact information of the betters and someone or Jontay probably told the truth to the investigators.

This information came straight from the wiretap story.

"The suspicious bets involving Porter’s performance in the Raptors’ March 20 game were brought to the NBA’s attention by licensed sports betting operators and an organization that monitors legal betting markets."

The NBA doesn't have personal information and contact information.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,168

Post#312 » by Pelon chingon » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:28 am

What happens when a top 50/100 guy does it?
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,671

Post#313 » by Rainwater » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:28 am

PushDaRock wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
picc wrote:Does anyone know how exactly they found out Jontay was doing this?

I believe a third party regulator contacted the NBA after a 80k bid involving Jontay became a 1.1 million dollar payout.

I don't think DraftKings ever had any intention of paying the bet out because normally you would never take on a bet of that size for that type of bet. They probably figured they were freerolling regardless of what happened.

I don't bet but I would think an bet of that size would always raise eyebrows. This makes the actions even more ridiculous.
Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,032

Post#314 » by Trey24 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:58 am

Shock Defeat wrote:Crazy how he got banned while Ohtani is still playing cause his translator was able to take the fall

Amazing how Lebron was able to duck the accusations the same way when his right hand man got caught betting on NBA
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#315 » by disoblige » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:25 am

Rainwater wrote:
disoblige wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

They have personal information and contact information of the betters and someone or Jontay probably told the truth to the investigators.

This information came straight from the wiretap story.

"The suspicious bets involving Porter’s performance in the Raptors’ March 20 game were brought to the NBA’s attention by licensed sports betting operators and an organization that monitors legal betting markets."

The NBA doesn't have personal information and contact information.

The gambling sites does. He wanted to know how exactly nba know. Numbers don’t tell the whole story. From what happened to similar stories like this, they get information from people.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#316 » by disoblige » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 am

UglyBugBall wrote:
Reeko wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:

Read my previous post. You should only be fired if it directly affects your job. I.e beating your wife and working a women's shelter.

That’s not how the world works. When you join a company, you represent the company. Companies can be sued base on employees actions and their employee image affects their reputation. Most criminals don’t change, they just spent many years in jail figuring out what went wrong and repeat them again.

If you are worried about criminals trying to get a job. Many small companies don’t do background check.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,933

Post#317 » by Reeko » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 am

UglyBugBall wrote:
Reeko wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:

So you agree that Porter should be fired in this instance? Since what he did directly affected his job.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#318 » by inquisitive » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 am

Obviously betting on the sport you play in is a no no. Doesn't the NFL, NBA, and MLB have sports betting contract deals too recently?
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
ghillphx
Junior
And1: 419

Post#319 » by ghillphx » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 am

Bank Shot wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

A low IQ piece of ****
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,459

Post#320 » by Slava » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 am

I wonder what the FanDuel odds were on him getting banned from the league. Maybe a double parlay with his brother?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to The General Board