Jontay Porter banned from the NBA

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,551

Re: Jontay Porter banned from the NBA 

Post#161 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:56 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
jowglenn wrote:Obviously they had to do this, the guy was clearly giving inside info on his own injuries/illnesses to people who were betting on his behalf. It's not at the same level of affecting outcomes like point shaving, but it's something the NBA simply cannot allow to take root in any way. Every player must now know that their career will be OVER if they bet on games or give inside info to proxy bettors.

The bigger problem going forward, as I see it, is that sports betting is still just a question of inside information. Even if a player doesn't intentionally share this info with someone to use in betting, that information is still incredibly valuable. I foresee future scandals where organized criminal groups hack into emails, texts, and computer networks of teams, coaches, medical staff, and players to obtain this insider info to use in betting. No need to hack any bank accounts or financial systems - just get access to a teams' entire email network, and read the notes from the medical staff and coaches on a players' expected return dates, etc, and you can use that for all kinds of betting purposes. This WILL happen, and it's probably going to be hard to spot when it happens - sophisticated groups will use this info smartly and covertly.

Why does it matter? If you're gambling on sports you're a scum bag. Who cares if they get screwed?

How is gambling on sports is being a scumbag. What?

About initial post, rules are placed now and teams need to disclose most of that information before hand, so there is not that much you can hack that at least bookers already wouldn't know.

Also, they are smart. These bets often have many qualifiers now, because they were burned in the oast when public receives info and acts faster than bookies do. Now they just have qualifiers.

What more need be said? Gambling is degenerate behavior. Same with cheating on your wife. Or whatever other social norms we have created in the last 200,000 years that we look at as bad for these reasons. You do you...I don't care. But lets not act like it's acceptable behavior. It's no better than doing drugs to your health. It's just another way to get your brain to push out excess stimulants to feel good in an unhealthy way.

It's an addictive vice that has massive negatives and has no real benefits to society or the individual.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,842

Post#162 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 pm

What kind of cement head thinks steroid abuse is perfectly fine and healthy but betting on a sport makes you a scumbag. Good lord.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,765

Post#163 » by KembaWalker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:58 pm

reddyplayerone wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:Beating your wife: A-ok!

Betting: banned for life

Make it make sense

Yeah...it does. One is related to your job. The other just makes you a trash person. Terrible people have jobs. People who hurt their company don't.

Yeah I don't really want to associate or give business to companies that harbor men who beat and abuse women but I guess that's just me!

my favorite thing about your parody account is that you named yourself after one of womens most hated sexist modern books
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#164 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:59 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:So what about players who do steroids on purpose? Aren't they cheating the game? Why are they allowed to come back?

No. Steroids are doing the right thing and taking care of their body! The anti steroid stuff is just gross.

Hey Chris Benoit... is that you? Lol

No clue who that is. But I'm guessing you think all steroids are the same thing which is truly sad. Most steroid users (and there are millions and millions of them) are in their 40's, over weight, and just want to feel better day to day and they get them from doctors.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,839

Post#165 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:59 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

Make it make sense

Yeah...it does. One is related to your job. The other just makes you a trash person. Terrible people have jobs. People who hurt their company don't.

Saying that what Porter did is simply "betting" is like saying Hanibal Lechter was simply "cooking"

Amazing how people can't grasp a crime, or they just act silly, because they do not like anything that involves gambling?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,870

Post#166 » by Duffman100 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:00 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:Actually the NBA is probably very happy that Jontay Porter is the guy they get to ban for life. When getting into bed with gambling the NBA had to figure on one day a player would get caught gambling. Porter is not a big name but he has big name association, his brother. So the NBA gets to throw the book at a guy who is not a star and yet has star association. And they get to come off as being very serious about preserving the integrity of the game.

Yep. Lets be clear. Porter didn't gamble or get caught because the NBA decided to get into bed with gambling just because its gambling.

Porter got caught because the Sports Books actually examine bets to see if they are fixed, unlike the NBA, despite any protestations they do. Getting into bed with sports books ensure the NBA now has to actually give a **** and actually care about matches and bets being fixed instead of just hiding it and pretending it never happens. Otherwise sports books will keep making this public to dissuade others.

And by examine bets, I guarantee you they have programmatic anomaly detection built into their tech stack to alert of suspicious, out of the norm bets, on random things.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#167 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:00 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:Actually the NBA is probably very happy that Jontay Porter is the guy they get to ban for life. When getting into bed with gambling the NBA had to figure on one day a player would get caught gambling. Porter is not a big name but he has big name association, his brother. So the NBA gets to throw the book at a guy who is not a star and yet has star association. And they get to come off as being very serious about preserving the integrity of the game.

Yep. Lets be clear. Porter didn't gamble or get caught because the NBA decided to get into bed with gambling just because its gambling.

Porter got caught because the Sports Books actually examine bets to see if they are fixed, unlike the NBA, despite any protestations they do. Getting into bed with sports books ensure the NBA now has to actually give a **** and actually care about matches and bets being fixed instead of just hiding it and pretending it never happens. Otherwise sports books will keep making this public to dissuade others.

If the NBA did the right thing. They'd actively work to make gambling impossible. They'd do everything to send the books bad information to hurt them. Instead they're working with them...it's gross.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#168 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Make it make sense

Saying that what Porter did is simply "betting" is like saying Hanibal Lechter was simply "cooking"

Amazing how people can't grasp a crime, or they just act silly, because they do not like anything that involves gambling?

The problem is betting. Everything after that doesn't matter. It's ok to cook your food. It's not OK to cook people. The problem is some people want to eat people. The problem is gambling has horrible social side effects.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,841

Post#169 » by NZB2323 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
spanishninja wrote:hey, uh we should ban MPJ as well, "for the integrity of the game"! there is no way to definitively confirm that he didn't profit from his bro's gambling.

Innocent until proven guilty. If my brother commits a crime that doesn’t make me guilty.

Sins of the father. It does make you guilty.[/quote]

Maybe in other countries, but not in America.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,462

Post#170 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
No. Steroids are doing the right thing and taking care of their body! The anti steroid stuff is just gross.

No clue who that is. But I'm guessing you think all steroids are the same thing which is truly sad. Most steroid users (and there are millions and millions of them) are in their 40's, over weight, and just want to feel better day to day and they get them from doctors.

The fact you're talking about 40 year olds when we were clearly talking about using them in the sporting sense for an unfair advantage is remarkable. Congrats of creating a sob story out of nowhere lol.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 278

Post#171 » by reddyplayerone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Yeah I don't really want to associate or give business to companies that harbor men who beat and abuse women but I guess that's just me!

So don't do anything with any company over 100 employees. Otherwise...you're doing it.

LOL what?

You think any company with over 100 employees is inevitably harboring and/or enabling abusers of women?

Like y'all realize you do not need to come onto the internet and start telling on yourselves, right?

KembaWalker wrote:my favorite thing about your parody account is that you named yourself after one of womens most hated sexist modern books

Is this a personal attack?

Also do you know what "parody" actually means? Or what "sexism" means, for that matter?

Don't you cheer for Miles Bridges?

It's super funny that you think my sn has anything to do with the book and isn't just a play on a phrase that's been associated with video games for like the last 40 years though. Great job, detective!
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,841

Post#172 » by NZB2323 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

I get it. I really do, but it's still funny (to me at least) that every sports league is shoving betting in the fans' faces every commercial break (and sometimes even during games), but also trying to take a moral stance here by punishing a player for betting.

They are not punishing player for betting, players can bet, it is legal hobby. He is getting punished for fixing his own games for betting reasons, do you really do not see the difference?

NBA players can't bet on games in the NBA or its partners (WNBA, G-League, Summer League, etc.).

I mean, they also advertise beer but don’t condone underage drinking or drunk driving.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,147

Post#173 » by NYPiston » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 pm

advent11 wrote:Jeopardizing the integrity of the game is the most egregious act you can commit from the league's perspective. Rightfully so.

Rightfully so from a business perspective but fails the human aspect of it when you're giving relative slaps on the wrist to real life criminals, people who intentionally hurt other people with brutal violence and/or put others livelihoods at risk.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#174 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:04 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

The fact you're talking about 40 year olds when we were clearly talking about using them in the sporting sense for an unfair advantage is remarkable. Congrats of creating a sob story out of nowhere lol.

Oh no...people take them at younger ages to get help...oh the horror! Yeah, if you're not doing steroids and making millions to play sports. You're short changing the fans. Period end of story.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,022

Post#175 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:06 pm

Is it safe to say we have a problem with this Canadians and their teams shady gambling ?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,839

Post#176 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:10 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Why does it matter? If you're gambling on sports you're a scum bag. Who cares if they get screwed?

How is gambling on sports is being a scumbag. What?

About initial post, rules are placed now and teams need to disclose most of that information before hand, so there is not that much you can hack that at least bookers already wouldn't know.

Also, they are smart. These bets often have many qualifiers now, because they were burned in the oast when public receives info and acts faster than bookies do. Now they just have qualifiers.

What more need be said? Gambling is degenerate behavior. Same with cheating on your wife. Or whatever other social norms we have created in the last 200,000 years that we look at as bad for these reasons. You do you...I don't care. But lets not act like it's acceptable behavior. It's no better than doing drugs to your health. It's just another way to get your brain to push out excess stimulants to feel good in an unhealthy way.

It's an addictive vice that has massive negatives and has no real benefits to society or the individual.

Well, you can say that about most modern and not modern amenities. I almost never bet on sports, but during major FIFA tournaments, I usually pick at least one team I like, since I don't have my own fandom one, and place a bet on them winning, so I would find tournament more interesting and I would have team to cheer for and simply be on a ball while the rest of the world cheering for their own guys.

I really do not see how that makes me a degenerate. Are people who eat cake and drink alcohol on special occasions also degenerate? That stuff also addicting, unhealthy and often worse.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,308

Post#177 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:10 pm

Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Where's the Lifetime ban for beating your wife?

Yup. The NBA decides to partner with an industry that thrives off of addiction and punishes a player for it (he should be punished, not sure if this should be the punishment) but has much less severe penalties for much more severe crimes.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,765

Post#178 » by KembaWalker » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

I only have respect for guys that bet their overs or on their team to win

What he did is pathetic
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,047

Post#179 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:12 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Quick question, am I wrong to think that if a peak JORDAN would do this, there is no way they receive a lifetime ban, and it's probably a silent ban instead?

Fixed it (no pun intended) for you...
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 278

Post#180 » by reddyplayerone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:12 pm

Gambling = degenerate behavior

Steroids = super cool and fine actually

I love when people espouse totally untenable philosophies lmao

Return to The General Board