Jontay Porter banned from the NBA

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,447

Re: Jontay Porter banned from the NBA 

Post#341 » by PushDaRock » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:19 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Crazy how he got banned while Ohtani is still playing cause his translator was able to take the fall

Easier to make an example out of a scrub than a superstar/future Hall of Famer who brings in an entire country's fanbase and then some. It would be like if Yao Ming got caught for something ban worthy and the NBA just sweep it under the rug (or Jordan?)

But the true moral of the story is that if you're going to gamble, make sure you have a real friend who will die on the sword for you. Seems like Porter doesn't have a real one or he's just dumb enough to leave a trail.

You have to be a complete moron to think anyone is doing up to 30 years of prison for a "friend".
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 801

Post#342 » by disoblige » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
You gave me a random quote that doesn't prove anything. I stayed fully on subject. If employees represent the company and you believe that companies should be able to fire anyone they feel doesn't represent their brand, then you also believe they should be able to fire gays, minorities, people with disabilities, etc if they don't fit the companies preferred representation. Until you can square that conclusion of what you are advocating for, you are arguing in favor of legalized bigotry.

No you are changing the subject.

Your first arguement was  "you should not lose your job even if convicted." 

I said "Employees represent their companies, .... , etc"

Your counter argument is "employees don't represent their companies"

You havent provided me any hard evidence of "employee dont represent their companies". The law prohibits discrimination on gender, minorities and disabilities and you keep using this as support in your arguement for some odd reasons. Employee represents their company in various ways, through actions, performance and behavours.

The conclusion I am arguing for is that Johntay sold out his team and he deserves to be banned and he also represent the organization in an extent. Companies do fire people who doesn't represent their brand/culture/mission or dont hire them in the first place.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,466

Post#343 » by durden_tyler » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:32 pm

NY2k1 wrote:Not to say this isn't deserved, because it is, but I wonder what the NBA would have done or do if this was someone like Lebron James or an upcoming superstar like Wembanyama. Someone like Jontay Porter is essentially a nobody, so it's easy to just lifetime ban him.

They just suspend them— and if it’s a superstar, he’ll likely play baseball for 1 and 1/2 seasons and return to the NBA.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,078

Post#344 » by magicman1978 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:43 pm

knicksNOTslick wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:Crazy how he got banned while Ohtani is still playing cause his translator was able to take the fall

Easier to make an example out of a scrub than a superstar/future Hall of Famer who brings in an entire country's fanbase and then some. It would be like if Yao Ming got caught for something ban worthy and the NBA just sweep it under the rug (or Jordan?)

But the true moral of the story is that if you're going to gamble, make sure you have a real friend who will die on the sword for you. Seems like Porter doesn't have a real one or he's just dumb enough to leave a trail.

Lets just assume that the FBI, IRS, Bank, etc. are colluding with the Dodgers, and MLB to protect Ohtani and that Ippei is willing to face up to 30 years in prison for his friend and say that Ohtani did gamble...

All the information available shows that Ippei (or if you want be a conspiracy theorist, Ohtani) never gambled on baseball games, much less Dodgers games. Jontay bet on Nuggets games, he bet on the Nuggets to lose, he bet on himself to perform below expectations. Do we have any proof that Ippei bet on baseball, on the dodgers, on the dodgers to lose, on Ohtani to go 0-4 with 4 strikeouts?

It's not against MLB rules for a player to gamble on things outside of baseball. How are these two situations in any way similar?

Return to The General Board