Jontay Porter banned from the NBA

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,329

Re: Jontay Porter banned from the NBA 

Post#241 » by MrGoat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:34 pm

Nate505 wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:Absolutely deserved, but we all know that if he was even a Derozan level player, he would've just been slapped on the wrist. I hope if someone like Anthony Davis or Zion was caught doing this the result would be the same. You've set the precedent. Stay consistent.

If a huge name star is caught betting on their team to lose, they should be banned for life as well. And the league would face heavy scrutiny if they didn't.

The league can survive without Anthony Davis or Zion playing. The league can't survive if the public feels like players are not being competitive for gambling reasons.

Yeah, even the biggest stars aren't getting a slap on the wrist for what Jontay Porter did. It would destroy the integrity of the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Melchiorre

1951 #1 pick. Banned for life before he could play an NBA game because he basically did the same thing in college.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 712

Post#242 » by UglyBugBall » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:35 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

Innocent until proven guilty. If my brother commits a crime that doesn’t make me guilty.

Sins of the father. It does make you guilty.

Maybe in other countries, but not in America.[/quote]

Maybe not by the law, but we're a melting pot of cultures so many people will believe it here too.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,692

Post#243 » by azcatz11 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:36 pm

ArksNetsSince99 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
M2J wrote:The NBA could have just given him a one-year or 2-year ban. Which would have completed the same thing as he probably would never have gotten a chance to get back into the league.

That's only an issue for me in case there are questions about an actual star.

For those trying to be keyboard Warriors with your hidden names bringing up people like Miles Bridges. It's totally not the same thing. What Porter has done literally caused into question the integrity of the game. I know plenty of people who believe these games are truly fixed already, so why would they want to bet on them?

Well I see their side tbh. One is morally reprehensible and the other ruins the integrity of the game. The league is also in bed with the gambling websites and wants to take literally all of our money. They want to wipe us clean. There’s an issue here

There is no issue bro , I’m betting against you every time and I’m wiping them clean almost every time

I Have made a lot of people very rich :lol: :lol: :lol:
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,696

Post#244 » by AleksandarN » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:51 pm

Man MPJ’s family is really messed up. I applaud MPJ on his focus on and off the court getting through all of the distractions.
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,867

Post#245 » by ___Rand___ » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:56 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:Problem for league now is they gotta police leaking of every player's personal injury info. What if an MRI tech leaked what he saw and said so and so player is going to be out? A team's physio let slip how he's treating an athlete to another physio. A team driver would have inside info on each and every athlete based on how they are limping when they walk, overhear conversations etc. This is WORSE than SEC having to police stock trading information based on mergers and acquisitions. At least in M&A negotiations are limited to 2 very small teams from each side. Here this information is available to everyone who's interacting with the team on a day to day basis.

If a tech leak anything out that is a HIPPA violation and much worst than an NBA lifetime ban.

Seriousness of getting caught hasn't stopped criminals from doing what they do. the problem is the policing. any of this info can be obtained by anyone including the janitors. THAT is the problem NBA is getting into. It's a problem it's creating.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,499

Post#246 » by dakomish23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:59 pm

Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Where's the Lifetime ban for beating your wife?

Here's your answer

ChipotleWest wrote:He was barely an NBA player, probably wouldn't have been in the league in two years anyway. Not sure how much he cares.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#247 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:03 pm

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Bulliever2020 wrote:
Yeah I'm sure he doesn't care at all that he's now banned from the highest level of the sport that he spent his whole life working on and is now known as the Pete Rose of the NBA. I'm sure he'll just go on with his daily life like nothing happened.
Pete NEVER bet on his own team to lose. And he is a nobody while Rose is the base hit king of baseball and HOF'mer.

Big difference!

The problem with Rose is that even though he bet on his team to win it affected the careers of his players by how he played them. Danny Jackson pitched way too much a couple of seasons and broke down early. In the NBA this would be similar to a coach playing a guy 46 minutes a game every night and they blow out an Achilles.
I understand the impact on his players usage which was a problem but that has happened even if betting wasn’t involves but it being used as an excuse more than not. Betting on their own team to WIN should not be illegal and punished by the league. It prevents TANKING for drafting purposes which is much worse for the fans who paid with their hard earn money to show up and watch a competitive game. Obviously betting on own team to lose is illegal and should be a bannable offense due to tanking motives which is the root of the problem.

I think the rules should be revised to allow anyone who is part of the team, are allowed to bet on own team only to win which includes employees, ball boys, moping crew but they have to use the team's official regulated on-line betting outlet. No prop bets, just straight win bets based on Vegas odds.

Officials are still not allowed because it's unethical.

Why? It prevents tanking games, and it allows players and employees to make some extra supplemental income for once.

https://youtu.be/mcfzDqnTgYQ?si=4hINzQ_0OMAZVeyH

Let's make this happen and allow Pete into Canton, commissioner!
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,274

Post#248 » by SNPA » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:04 pm

jowglenn wrote:Obviously they had to do this, the guy was clearly giving inside info on his own injuries/illnesses to people who were betting on his behalf. It's not at the same level of affecting outcomes like point shaving, but it's something the NBA simply cannot allow to take root in any way. Every player must now know that their career will be OVER if they bet on games or give inside info to proxy bettors.

The bigger problem going forward, as I see it, is that sports betting is still just a question of inside information. Even if a player doesn't intentionally share this info with someone to use in betting, that information is still incredibly valuable. I foresee future scandals where organized criminal groups hack into emails, texts, and computer networks of teams, coaches, medical staff, and players to obtain this insider info to use in betting. No need to hack any bank accounts or financial systems - just get access to a teams' entire email network, and read the notes from the medical staff and coaches on a players' expected return dates, etc, and you can use that for all kinds of betting purposes. This WILL happen, and it's probably going to be hard to spot when it happens - sophisticated groups will use this info smartly and covertly.

Reporters. Ball boys. Medical staff. Traveling staff. Other low end players.

This only gets worse.

Prop bets make it worse too. Very few players can affect the outcome of a game alone. But anyone can tank a prop bet on themself.

The NBA and Silver think they have AI and other means of detecting this but it’s only the abnormalities that stand out. If a person has this info or ability and is willing to be smart and patient…
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,249

Post#249 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:09 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:I’m so confused by all the “but what about wifebeaters and guns!” posts, would people be happier if he got a slap on the wrist?

Yeah and this is not just gambling what job could you keep or get rehired if you purposely don't do it right? It'd be like being a mechanic and messing up a car on purpose. Is the owner going to give you a slap on the wrist? Or get you the hell outta there and you're never coming back.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,838

Post#250 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:11 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
I actually like Porters game so thats why I'd a little more upset than the average fan here. 1 year would have been fine with him meeting conditions like seeking help should have been the penalty here.

But how could you ever watch him airball a three, make a crucial turnover in crunch time, or "have an injury in the first quarter" without wondering? This guy seems to have signs of addiction anyway, with crypto and day trading and this. Takes way more than a year to recover from a fundamental character defect of that magnitude.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.

sixers4real wrote:Okay, GB, I hate you, but I’m bored.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,202

Post#251 » by HomoSapien » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:15 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
I actually like Porters game so thats why I'd a little more upset than the average fan here. 1 year would have been fine with him meeting conditions like seeking help should have been the penalty here.

But how could you ever watch him airball a three, make a crucial turnover in crunch time, or "have an injury in the first quarter" without wondering? This guy seems to have signs of addiction anyway, with crypto and day trading and this. Takes way more than a year to recover from a fundamental character defect of that magnitude.

Also, why would one year be fine? You have to protect the integrity of the game. If the NBA is handing out a slap on the wrist for this, then others will inevitably be tempted to do the same.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,610

Post#252 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:40 pm

Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Where's the Lifetime ban for beating your wife?

The NBA throws these huge sanctions out against nothing players. Never big names.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,141

Post#253 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:43 pm

Betting on your team and your performance in a game- that is a guaranteed lifetime ban.

Favoritism towards star players exists in other areas of the NBA, but this is not one of them.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,859

Post#254 » by nikster » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:45 pm

Looking at the story he apparently only made $20K on betting on NBA games. I wonder if he was getting a cut of that $1 million pay out his friend made, or if he was shocked his buddy made such a massive bet. Might not have been caught otherwise
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Post#255 » by bledredwine » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 pm

FreeBird23 wrote:"Don't gamble but you can beat your wife or strangle / hit other players"

Adam Silver

I had the same thought, but when you think about it, the gambling affects the integrity and image of the NBA as a whole,
whereas the beating was a poor reflection of an individual.

Now, if the NBA had an issue of players beating their wives, then they would likely be more strict in the repercussions.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,311

Post#256 » by WestGOAT » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:49 pm

Can anyone explain why a lifetime ban and simply not just a season or two and mandatory rehab? Who knows he is suffering from a gambling addiction, and it doesn't help that the NBA is actually financially profiting of a people that might also be addicts.

In Europe there were some major cases in pro football recently, Sandro Tonali and Ivan Toney and they got way less severe bans: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68595134

Bit of weird of the NBA to go so extreme
spotted in Bologna
MrGoat
Assistant Coach

Post#257 » by MrGoat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:52 pm

bledredwine wrote:
FreeBird23 wrote:"Don't gamble but you can beat your wife or strangle / hit other players"

Adam Silver

I had the same thought, but when you think about it, the gambling affects the integrity and image of the NBA as a whole,

Now, if the NBA had an issue of players beating their wives, then they would likely be more strict in the repercussions.

It's not just that he's gambling. He's betting against himself in games and manipulating the result, that's point shaving. If he was betting on other teams or even overs for himself this wouldn't be a lifetime ban
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Post#258 » by bledredwine » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 pm

MrGoat wrote:
bledredwine wrote:

Adam Silver

It's not just that he's gambling. He's betting against himself in games, that's point shaving. If he was betting on other teams or even overs for himself this wouldn't be a lifetime ban

Agreed. Him betting against his own squad is tampering with a large institution. Of course they'd ban him for messing
with it.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
MrGoat
Assistant Coach

Post#259 » by MrGoat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:57 pm

WestGOAT wrote:Can anyone explain why a lifetime ban and simply not just a season or two and mandatory rehab? Who knows he is suffering from a gambling addiction, and it doesn't help that the NBA is actually financially profiting of a people that might also be addicts.

In Europe there were some major cases in pro football recently, Sandro Tonali and Ivan Toney and they got way less severe bans: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68595134

Read the post right below yours, I answer your question
WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,311

Post#260 » by WestGOAT » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:00 pm

MrGoat wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:Can anyone explain why a lifetime ban and simply not just a season or two and mandatory rehab? Who knows he is suffering from a gambling addiction, and it doesn't help that the NBA is actually financially profiting of a people that might also be addicts.

Read the post right below yours, I answer your question

And how do you know Tonali and Toney didn't do something similar?
spotted in Bologna

Return to The General Board