If you were the Raptors would you even want to keep this years pick?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Should the Raptors hope they drop in the lotto and convey the #7 pick this year?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 60

One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,612

If you were the Raptors would you even want to keep this years pick? 

Post#1 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:10 pm

This years draft looks terrible. Masai tanking seems to have been a classic example of moral hazard. The GMs interests are not aligned with the franchise. By tanking he's likely given a more valuable pick away the following year, even if he gives away pick #10 instead of pick #7. Should the Raps be praying to lose the pick this lottery?
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,353

Re: If you were the Raptors would you even want to keep this years pick? 

Post#2 » by Bornstellar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:17 pm

As a Spurs fan I kinda hope it does convey next year in what is allegedly a much better talent pool. Plus the Spurs could potentially have 5 first rounders in 2025 (their own, Atlanta's, Charlotte's, Chicago's, and Toronto's) - super unlikely that they all convey but I'd prefer to go all in on 2025. So I guess from TOR's perspective it'd be better for their pick to convey this year
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,098

Post#3 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:58 pm

Bornstellar wrote:As a Spurs fan I kinda hope it does convey next year in what is allegedly a much better talent pool. Plus the Spurs could potentially have 5 first rounders in 2025 (their own, Atlanta's, Charlotte's, Chicago's, and Toronto's) - super unlikely that they all convey but I'd prefer to go all in on 2025. So I guess from TOR's perspective it'd be better for their pick to convey this year

It’s a win win for me. If we dont keep it, I hope it’s 7 I’d love to see what pop and wemby do with 3 high lotto picks on the run. That’s be like okc level stuff.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,341

Post#4 » by rapstarter » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:08 pm

I hate it when the poll asks the complete opposite of what the thread title's asking.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,847

Post#5 » by Quattro » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:10 pm

One_and_Done wrote:This years draft looks terrible. Masai tanking seems to have been a classic example of moral hazard. The GMs interests are not aligned with the franchise. By tanking he's likely given a more valuable pick away the following year, even if he gives away pick #10 instead of pick #7. Should the Raps be praying to lose the pick this lottery?

You seem to be claiming that Ujiri somehow intentionally tanked this season. They flipped their big names at the deadline which was a move pretty much everyone agreed should happen but obviously made their team worse in the short term. Then Barnes broke his hand, Poeltl underwent surgery, and both Quickly and Barret missed significant time with injuries and deaths in the family.

All that coupled with a team that had little depth before the injuries led to lots of ugly losses. Had Barnes and Poeltl stayed healthy I highly doubt they finish behind Memphis.

As for the draft, I've watched this game long enough to know that supposed "experts" who label drafts weak usually don't have a damned clue what they're talking about. I expect that if the raptors retain the pick they'll come out with a useful player. The hope being that with a healthy lineup next year and the infusion of depth with their 3 picks this year and any other off-season moves will result in them conveying a pick outside the lottery next year.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#6 » by One_and_Done » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:11 pm

Quattro wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:This years draft looks terrible. Masai tanking seems to have been a classic example of moral hazard. The GMs interests are not aligned with the franchise. By tanking he's likely given a more valuable pick away the following year, even if he gives away pick #10 instead of pick #7. Should the Raps be praying to lose the pick this lottery?

You seem to be claiming that Ujiri somehow intentionally tanked this season. They flipped their big names at the deadline which was a move pretty much everyone agreed should happen but obviously made their team worse in the short term. Then Barnes broke his hand, Poeltl underwent surgery, and both Quickly and Barret missed significant time with injuries and deaths in the family.

All that coupled with a team that had little depth before the injuries led to lots of ugly losses. Had Barnes and Poeltl stayed healthy I highly doubt they finish behind Memphis.

As for the draft, I've watched this game long enough to know that supposed "experts" who label drafts weak usually don't have a damned clue what they're talking about. I expect that if the raptors retain the pick they'll come out with a useful player. The hope being that with a healthy lineup next year and the infusion of depth with their 3 picks this year and any other off-season moves will result in them conveying a pick outside the lottery next year.

Masai, is that you?

Bro, you clearly tanked.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,847

Post#7 » by Quattro » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Quattro wrote:

Masai, is that you?

Bro, you clearly tanked.

I explained exactly what happened "bro". But hey, it sounds like you watch a lot of raptors basketball so that must make you an expert on the subject
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 794

Post#8 » by disoblige » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:53 am

rapstarter wrote:I hate it when the poll asks the complete opposite of what the thread title's asking.

Lol I didnt read the poll and voted. :rofl:
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#9 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:14 am

disoblige wrote:
rapstarter wrote:I hate it when the poll asks the complete opposite of what the thread title's asking.

If people can't be bothered reading before they vote they deserve to throw their vote away.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 794

Post#10 » by disoblige » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:19 am

One_and_Done wrote:
disoblige wrote:

If people can't be bothered reading before they vote they deserve to throw their vote away.

People clicked the thread to answer your thread title. But your poll is the opposite. The other person also agreed with this.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,408

Post#11 » by baldur » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 am

Toronto has still really a competitive squad. They might make the play ins next season. Barnes will be only better. Dick might grow next season :lol: rj Barrett and quickley wanna prove themselves and Brown, olynyk and poeltl are useful veterans. They don't have the squad to bottom down.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,373

Post#12 » by shi-woo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:54 am

Ima yell it till you people believe me, this draft is not weak!

Seriously, are you guys still going off of what other people say about draft classes? Because in case you forgot these are the people that let Luka go to 3, and then traded him, let Giannis go 13th, Jimmy 30th, and Jokic and Gobert go in the 2nd round. These people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, and this draft will be no different. There is going to be surprise all-stars. There is going to be All-NBA calibur players. A handful of 2nd round picks are going to become starter level players.

It happens every single year.

TOR is in the perfect spot where they are looking to compete, but also are young enough that they can still draft a solid prospect and give them a role on the team.

TOR really seems to be prioritizing international players, and this draft has a ton that could turn up, and also fit into their needs. If one of the French guys is on the board, do you really think Masai is going to want to pass that up :lol: In Canada, where French is the 1st language is some parts? Not happening.

Sarr, Risacher, Dadiet, Aji, or Salaun are going to be wearing that Purple in two months time, book it. Probably two of those guys will be playing for the Raptors if we're being honest
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,593

Post#13 » by Harry Garris » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 am

Nah, there will be some gems in this year's draft, just do your job scouting and make the right pick. Also I doubt the Raps want to tank again next year.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#14 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 am

Harry Garris wrote:Nah, there will be some gems in this year's draft, just do your job scouting and make the right pick. Also I doubt the Raps want to tank again next year.

The Raps didn't want to tank this year either.
payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,245

Post#15 » by payton2kemp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:58 am

Bornstellar wrote:As a Spurs fan I kinda hope it does convey next year in what is allegedly a much better talent pool. Plus the Spurs could potentially have 5 first rounders in 2025 (their own, Atlanta's, Charlotte's, Chicago's, and Toronto's) - super unlikely that they all convey but I'd prefer to go all in on 2025. So I guess from TOR's perspective it'd be better for their pick to convey this year

Or they could tank for 2 more years and give the Spurs 2nd round picks instead if they keep the pick this year. That team isn't going anywhere soon.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,593

Post#16 » by Harry Garris » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:00 am

One_and_Done wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:Nah, there will be some gems in this year's draft, just do your job scouting and make the right pick. Also I doubt the Raps want to tank again next year.

The Raps didn't want to tank this year either.

Nope but they committed to it so they want to keep the pick. There would be no sense in that massive tank enterprise if they wanted to let this year's FRP go.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#17 » by VanWest82 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:03 am

disoblige wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
disoblige wrote:

People clicked the thread to answer your thread title. But your poll is the opposite. The other person also agreed with this.

I did the same damn thing. :banghead:
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#18 » by VanWest82 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 am

The answer is clearly yes we want to keep it. Tanking next year is not contingent on conveying it this year as it's still top 6 protected. Besides, my understanding is next year's draft is somewhat top heavy. Picking 11th or whatever next year is probably not better than picking 6th this year.
Knightfall
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,050

Post#19 » by Knightfall » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 am

shi-woo wrote:Ima yell it till you people believe me, this draft is not weak!

Seriously, are you guys still going off of what other people say about draft classes? Because in case you forgot these are the people that let Luka go to 3, and then traded him, let Giannis go 13th, Jimmy 30th, and Jokic and Gobert go in the 2nd round. These people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, and this draft will be no different. There is going to be surprise all-stars. There is going to be All-NBA calibur players. A handful of 2nd round picks are going to become starter level players.

It happens every single year.

TOR is in the perfect spot where they are looking to compete, but also are young enough that they can still draft a solid prospect and give them a role on the team.

TOR really seems to be prioritizing international players, and this draft has a ton that could turn up, and also fit into their needs. If one of the French guys is on the board, do you really think Masai is going to want to pass that up :lol: In Canada, where French is the 1st language is some parts? Not happening.

Sarr, Risacher, Dadiet, Aji, or Salaun are going to be wearing that Purple in two months time, book it. Probably two of those guys will be playing for the Raptors if we're being honest

This may be a draft which is weak in star power but is going to have plenty of players that are ready to jump in and contribute right away. Similar to the 99 draft. Brand, Francis, Odom, Artest, Maggette, Baron Davis, Wally Szerbiak, RIP Hamilton, andre miller, shawn marion, jason Terry, Manu, Giricek, AK47, Kenny Thomas, Jeff Foster, James Posey.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#20 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 am

I know they often say such and such draft is weak... but I dunno man, looking at the list of guys projected high is pretty sober reading. The Ringer has Stephon Castle as their #1 pick for example; a guy whose comp is Fultz or Anthony Black. It looks to me like the #10th pick next year will be worth alot more than #7 this year.

Return to The General Board