Mavericks are interested in Klay Thompson per The Athletic!

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,071

Re: Mavericks are interested in Klay Thompson per The Athletic! 

Post#81 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 pm

It would feel wrong to see Klay go anywhere else. I’m thinking almost no chance he doesn’t resign for somewhere in the low $20m range.
Airmiess
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#82 » by Airmiess » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 pm

Good fit on paper..
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,333

Post#83 » by MrGoat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm

This is probably coming from Klay's camp. Dallas is always the team players say is interested in them when they're trying to negotiate a new contract. Dallas is already set to be in the luxury tax next season so I don't buy it
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,360

Post#84 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:07 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Since he's so great you can have Josh Green on Toronto for Scottie Barnes.

We're comparing Klay to Josh Green + THJ in terms of salary, talent and depth.

Not sure why you're bringing up Scottie Barnes in all of this.

Quality response though, stellar job.

Bro we won 16 of 18 and Green was injured we didn't need him at all. You're acting like he's such a great player that just needs more opportunity, this is his 4th season. If he was great he'd be a starter in this League by now. He can't even start over Derrick Jones Jr. who is here on a 1 year 2.7 million dollar contract. All you're doing is looking at stats, I actually watch all Mavs games. I would still take Klay over him right now. But I'd rather us trade him for someone else. Either way I prefer he not be a Mav next season.

I’ll say it one more time and I’m not responding anymore.

No one said he’s a great player. The entire discussion is “Would you rather have Klay or THJ + Green, considering salaries, age, talent, potential?”

Good day.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,049

Post#85 » by Drakeem » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:13 pm

louc1970 wrote:Do this in 2 trades because I do not believe S&T will allow it:
Mavs send Washington, Gafford
Warriors send Wiggins, Looney

Wiggins when on would be a great complimentary 6th man. Able to go do his thing without sharing too much. At the same time he can easily slide into the starting lineup at the 3.
Looney gives a more experienced player on a cheap deal that can help lead Lively into being a better player.
Washington and Gafford give GSW youth and size at the 4/5.

The second deal is Warriors S&T Thompson for max amount to allow THJ to return to the Warriors. Assuming that is around $20-25m. Returning THJ is not a big issue but something has to go back to GSW.
Why would Dallas willingly get scammed like this.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,088

Post#86 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:24 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I mean lol. Let Dallas go through a playoff series first. And they can't offer much. And Klay has kept talking like he wants money money money. Like usual this is an agent knowing Dallas is an aggressive team in a big market trying desperately to create some buzz around a very declined client.

Chances of Klay as a Mav next year? 1/3 of one percent maybe?

It doesn’t matter what Klay wants. He’s a bench player at this point and not a particularly good one at that. No one’s offering him a big deal. He’ll be lucky to get the MLE.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,088

Post#87 » by iggymcfrack » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:25 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:It would feel wrong to see Klay go anywhere else. I’m thinking almost no chance he doesn’t resign for somewhere in the low $20m range.

$20 million??? WTF? Who else is paying half that. I think the front office might be hesitant to bring him back at all pit of fear Kerr will continue to give him undeserved minutes.
srhcan
Starter
And1: 1,601

Post#88 » by srhcan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 pm

Oscar9992 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Orlando Magic makes a lot more sense for him.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,071

Post#89 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:It would feel wrong to see Klay go anywhere else. I’m thinking almost no chance he doesn’t resign for somewhere in the low $20m range.

$20 million??? WTF? Who else is paying half that. I think the front office might be hesitant to bring him back at all pit of fear Kerr will continue to give him undeserved minutes.

Grayson Allen just got basically that
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#90 » by Mr B » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:31 pm

Apz wrote:All mavs fans just rofl. Every single time they add mavs when noone is intrested. Mavs will put their mle to djj. Klay gonna sign for the vetmin then? Klay will just resign with gsw or sign with some other team with beaches

I do think they attempt to make a move to acquire a wing. I believe O-Max is the future starter there but they will try to improve the position. Not sure if that will be Klay (doubtful) or Paul George (even more doubtful) but they will try to acquire another wing better than DJJ.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,298

Post#91 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:

GS offered him 2 years 48 million a year ago and he turned it down. However his stock has fallen not risen since then. I'm not sure he can still get the 2/48.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,049

Post#92 » by Drakeem » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:46 pm

If Klay agrees to less money and a reduced role, having a sniper off the bench to play limited minutes instead of THJ could be massive for them. However, I doubt it all works out for multiple reasons. Don't see how it happens.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#93 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:49 pm

Mr B wrote:
Apz wrote:All mavs fans just rofl. Every single time they add mavs when noone is intrested. Mavs will put their mle to djj. Klay gonna sign for the vetmin then? Klay will just resign with gsw or sign with some other team with beaches

I do think they attempt to make a move to acquire a wing. I believe O-Max is the future starter there but they will try to improve the position. Not sure if that will be Klay (doubtful) or Paul George (even more doubtful) but they will try to acquire another wing better than DJJ.

PG-13 could only come to Dallas on a sign and trade if he chose Dallas over every other team and the Clippers and Mavs could work out a trade. Not happening.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,986

Post#94 » by Apz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Mr B wrote:

PG-13 could only come to Dallas on a sign and trade if he chose Dallas over every other team and the Clippers and Mavs could work out a trade. Not happening.

What are the rules for snt now? Can mavs even do it?
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#95 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 am

Apz wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Mr B wrote:I do think they attempt to make a move to acquire a wing. I believe O-Max is the future starter there but they will try to improve the position. Not sure if that will be Klay (doubtful) or Paul George (even more doubtful) but they will try to acquire another wing better than DJJ.

What are the rules for snt now? Can mavs even do it?

You're right I don't think they even can accept a snt they're over the apron. They would have to send out more salary than they receive to lower their cap to below the apron to even do it. It doesn't matter Paul George isn't leaving L.A. for Dallas, has that ever happened? In general players don't leave L.A. in free agency.
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#96 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 am

Klay is not leaving the Warriors. Kerr is already discussing his minutes for next season.

“I thought Klay really showed that he was agreeable to the sixth-man role the second half of the year, even though eventually we put him back in the starting lineup,” Kerr said. “I think that’s got to be an option going forward. I would prefer not to play him 35 minutes. There were games down the stretch, I think the New Orleans game, I think I played him 38 minutes. We’ve got to be able to play him less. But in order to do that we’ve got to add more shooting to the roster, frankly. We can add more shooting and limit Klay’s minutes.” – via The Athletic

I guess they're going to bring back Steph Draymond and Klay. Not sure the point other than nostalgia.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,203

Post#97 » by stuporman » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 am

MrGoat wrote:This is probably coming from Klay's camp. Dallas is always the team players say is interested in them when they're trying to negotiate a new contract. Dallas is already set to be in the luxury tax next season so I don't buy it

I see your Mav rumor mill and raise you some Knicks for clicks. :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Hatrick Ewing
Junior
And1: 410

Post#98 » by Hatrick Ewing » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 am

Will be an interesting offseason for them. I could just see Green slapping more dicks and grabbing grundles slapping Centers **** like that if it starts to go off the rails
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,867

Post#99 » by UcanUwill » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
Stop trying to change the argument, you lost by a blowout. Brunson has stars playing with him this year too.

Not a fan that poster and some of his arguments and beliefs, but what Brunson has done this season is absolutely tremendous and worthy of lesser MVP vote, you could talk me into putting him on a ballot before Luka honestly.

I would not go out of the way and say Brunson is playing with stars. I guess Randle is All-star, but one of the most flawed, lesser all stars. That team is fantastically built and coached with amazing defensive players like Hartenstein and OG, mirroring successful teams like Iversons Philly or Melos Knicks, but those teams only work when they have superstar dragging them at the end, Brunson is flat out that guy, and he is more sound as a leader than what both Carmelo or Iverson were.

To touch on Klay, Mavs is the team that needs off ball players, so he is obe of the better options this summer. But for any team, hes only good if he comes cheap, like vet minumkm guy at this point or just a pass.

Randle (I give you he's missed almost half the season), OG, DiVicenzo who may win Most improved player, Quickley, Bogdonavic. It's not some stacked team but it's certainly not a bad team either. I still don't believe he dragged them to the playoffs, maybe he helped drag them to the 2nd seed. But that's the East vs. West, both won the exact same amount of games 50, and Mavs had injuries early in the season, Grant Williams wasn't a fit, Maxi was starting. That was an incomplete team with injuries as well, Kyrie only ended up playing 58 games this season for example, many other players including Lively has missed time. If they had the post trade deadline team all year with no injuries based off the wins to losses they had post trade deadline they'd have won 60 games this season. That would be #1 seed. But admittedly Knicks would have more wins too with no injuries so let's just say they both had great seasons. As far as blaming Luka for Mavs missing the playoffs a year ago though, it's ridiculous.

I agree that Lukas team in on itself is bad, I feel overall, I am way more down on that team than concensus. Now thinking of it, yes, I have to agree that Lukas carry job is pretty crazy, and at the end, I do not hold MAVS highly in playoffs because team overall is just too weak in my opinion. Knicks is a better team I think.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,054

Post#100 » by Mr B » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Yea that’s why I say it’s highly doubtful. Plus he loves playing in LA and tried for year to get to play in LA. I agree he’s not leaving. Although his is likely the last season we see this Clippers team playing together.

Return to The General Board