Mavericks are interested in Klay Thompson per The Athletic!

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,258

Re: Mavericks are interested in Klay Thompson per The Athletic! 

Post#41 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:02 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:Imagine if the Mavs had kept Jalen Brunson and used the assets they used to acquire Kyrie on a player in his prime above 6'5". You wouldn't have this scramble to add Kyrie and now a washed up Klay.

I know you want Brunson to be on the good team, guess what, me too, but the ship has sailed, move on buddy...
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#42 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 am

Wiggins, not Klay, should be the targe.t
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,754

Post#43 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:26 am

I'd assume they'd want to trade THJ for him.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,689

Post#44 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 am

dygaction wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:Imagine if the Mavs had kept Jalen Brunson and used the assets they used to acquire Kyrie on a player in his prime above 6'5". You wouldn't have this scramble to add Kyrie and now a washed up Klay.

I know you want Brunson to be on the good team, guess what, me too, but the ship has sailed, move on buddy...

I wanted Brunson off of the bench, he has moved on and proved that his prior organization mishandled him to such an egregious level that it has probably never been matched or exceeded by any organization to let an All NBA player walk in free agency after NEVER making him a full time starter to enter the season.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#45 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:58 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
dygaction wrote:

I wanted Brunson off of the bench, he has moved on and proved that his prior organization mishandled him to such an egregious level that it has probably never been matched or exceeded by any organization to let an All NBA player walk in free agency after NEVER making him a full time starter to enter the season.

so treat it as a win win and move on. Mavs used to let a player walk off to win b2b MVPs... Brunson would never have been a 2nd team all-nba this seaosn with Luka's ability and usage. Kyrie knows how to win and is acceptable of playing off ball.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#46 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:01 am

dygaction wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
dygaction wrote:

I wanted Brunson off of the bench, he has moved on and proved that his prior organization mishandled him to such an egregious level that it has probably never been matched or exceeded by any organization to let an All NBA player walk in free agency after NEVER making him a full time
is no winner starter to enter the season.

so treat it as a win win and move on. Mavs used to let a player walk off to win b2b MVPs... Brunson would never have been a 2nd team all-nba this seaosn with Luka's ability and usage. Kyrie knows how to win and is acceptable of playing off ball.

Kyrie can be a clutch SCORER, but he is no winner, just look at the Cavs without LeBron, Boston, and Brooklyn. Luka is no LeBron so they shall lose.

ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,278

Post#47 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:01 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
dygaction wrote:

The Mavs turned down an offer from Brunson a year before his contract was up for 4 years 55 million. That was a mistake, but it was before the Mavs made the WCF and he was only averaging 12 points a game. He ended up becoming too expensive for them to keep. His skillset is not worth what he got with the Knicks as a backup for Luka. Kyrie is a better fit with Luka than Brunson is. Brunson never would have become the Brunson in NY with the Mavs.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#48 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:10 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
dygaction wrote:

The Mavs turned down an offer from Brunson a year before his contract was up for 4 years 55 million. That was a mistake, but it was before the Mavs made the WCF and he was only averaging 12 points a game. He ended up becoming too expensive for them to keep. His skillset is not worth what he got with the Knicks as a backup for Luka. Kyrie is a better fit with Luka than Brunson is. Brunson never would have become the Brunson in NY with the Mavs.

For Kyrie to be a better fit they would need to.make the WCF. The MAVS missed the playoffs with Kyrie and Luka,.so no.bueno.

ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#49 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:12 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

For Kyrie to be a better fit they would need to.make the WCF. They MAVS missed the playoffs with Kyrie and Luka,.so no.bueno.

You always go with the most simple thing to complain about but don't like context. Luka and Kyrie only played 18 games together last season, not even 1/4th of the season. That was not a good Mavs team. Dimwiddie was probably the next best guy and he got waived by the Nets this season and signed with the Lakers for the vet minimum. The rest of the roster was poorly put together. Now they've upgraded practically every position. That is why since the trade deadline they've been red hot.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#50 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:19 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

For Kyrie to be a better fit they would need to.make the WCF. The MAVS missed the playoffs with Kyrie and Luka,.so no.bueno.

Brunson on the team always have tall teamdudes injured, from Porzingis to Robinson to Randle, so no.bueno...
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#51 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 am

dygaction wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

Brunson on the team always have tall teamdudes injured, from Porzingis to Robinson to Randle, so no.bueno...

And productivity doesn't dip, so what's your point? WCF and playoff appearance while Randle is injured. LUKA MISSED THE PLAYIFFS WITHOUT BRUNSON!!!!

SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#52 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

For Kyrie to be a better fit they would need to.make the WCF. They MAVS missed the playoffs with Kyrie and Luka,.so no.bueno.

You always go with the most simple thing to complain about but don't like context. Luka and Kyrie only played 18 games together last season, not even 1/4th of the season. That was not a good Mavs team. Dimwiddie was probably the next best guy and he got waived by the Nets this season and signed with the Lakers for the vet minimum. The rest of the roster was poorly put together. Now they've upgraded practically every position. That is why since the trade deadline they've been red hot.

Brunson dragged the Knicks to the playoffs, why can't Luka be expected to do the same thing? People USED to say that Luka dragged that WCF team to the playoffs, but Brunson's assension has eliminated that FOREVER!

dygaction
Head Coach

Post#53 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:52 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
dygaction wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

And productivity doesn't dip, so what's your point? WCF and playoff appearance while Randle is injured. LUKA MISSED THE PLAYIFFS WITHOUT BRUNSON!!!!

lol, love you passion.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#54 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:54 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Brunson dragged the Knicks to the playoffs, why can't Luka be expected to do the same thing? People USED to say that Luka dragged that WCF team to the playoffs, but Brunson's assension has eliminated that FOREVER!

cause we wanted that #10 pick that turned out to be Lively II + OMax :lol:
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#55 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

:lol: because they're not the same thing. East was the Least as usual, West was stronger. Brunson didn't drag anything, he had Randle all season averaging 25 ppg (which was more than Brunson) he also had RJ Barrett averaging 19.6 and Quickley averaging 15, Josh Hart with 10 Quentin Grimes with 11. Luka had Kyrie for 20 games (only 18 played together) other than that he had Dimwiddie who averaged 17 ppg, the rest were all just average to below average teammates. Reggie Bullock with his 7 ppg, Tim Hardaway 14 but only 40% from the floor as usual bricking a lot of shots, Christian Wood with 16 but played absolutely no defense, they eventually benched him and he signed with the Lakers this season for the vet minimum because no one else wanted him. Brunson had two 20 ppg scorers besides himself, Luka had none for most of the season.

And here's the last point I'm going to make then I'm done with you on this, the Mavs were last in rebounding only 38 rebounds per game even though they were getting about 9 from Luka, Knicks 3rd and it wasn't because Brunson is some great rebounder with his 3.5 per game. Brunson had better teammates and it wasn't even close. You lose, end of discussion.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#56 » by SelfishPlayer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:

:lol: because they're not the same thing. East was the Least as usual, West was stronger. Brunson didn't drag anything, he had Randle all season averaging 25 ppg (which was more than Brunson) he also had RJ Barrett averaging 19.6 and Quickley averaging 15, Josh Hart with 10 Quentin Grimes with 11. Luka had Kyrie for 20 games (only 18 played together) other than that he had Dimwiddie who averaged 17 ppg, the rest were all just average to below average teammates. Reggie Bullock with his 7 ppg, Tim Hardaway 14 but only 40% from the floor as usual bricking a lot of shots, Christian Wood with 16 but played absolutely no defense, they eventually benched him and he signed with the Lakers this season for the vet minimum because no one else wanted him. Brunson had two 20 ppg scorers besides himself, Luka had none for most of the season.

And here's the last point I'm going to make then I'm done with you on this, the Mavs were last in rebounding only 38 rebounds per game even though they were getting about 9 from Luka, Knicks 3rd and it wasn't because Brunson is some great rebounder with his 3.5 per game. Brunson had better teammates and it wasn't even close. You lose, end of discussion.

Brunson didn't drag the Knicks to the playoffs this season?

ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#57 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Brunson didn't drag the Knicks to the playoffs this season?

Stop trying to change the argument, you lost by a blowout. Brunson has stars playing with him this year too.
Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 276

Post#58 » by Handlez » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 am

If they can get him cheap, you absolutely do it.

Klay will be looking to prove naysayers wrong.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,811

Post#59 » by picc » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 am

Handlez wrote:If they can get him cheap, you absolutely do it.

Klay will be looking to prove naysayers wrong.

That's exactly why the Warriors will keep him.

If Klay is going to get his groove back on a low contract, why on earth would you let him do it on another team. And why would he even want to.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,360

Post#60 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:39 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:He turned down 2 years 48 million from Golden State a year ago, which was a mistake but all the Mavs can offer would be MLE unless they can do a sign and trade. Maybe Golden State would want THJ and Josh Green.

ZERO reason the Mavs would send that for Klay.

THJ is a negative and Green has been slightly better than a bust. They're not some great players.

THJ is 35% from 3 and is basically a 3 point specialist. He doesn't do anything else good he's 40% from the field not a good defender, not a high IQ player. Klay is an offensive upgrade. Green just doesn't have it between the ears. He's just a hustle guy.

Green was injured for a lot of our run we just had where we won 16 of 18 games, he wasn't needed at all.

Klay was a slightly better shooter than THJ this year. Defensively they've both sieves. Josh Green is better on D but also shot just as well as Klay from deep while being 23yo. Finally, Klay's looking for big money. They can have both Green and THJ in his place on the salary sheet.

There is no reason to do this.

Return to The General Board