Best 5 players over the past 25 years

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who would you build around? (Top 5 candidates)

Lebron
19%
Duncan
18%
Curry
16%
Jokic
16%
Shaq
15%
KG
3%
Giannis
3%
KD
3%
Luka
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 1002

MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,457

Re: Best 5 players over the past 25 years 

Post#41 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Masigond wrote:While getting easily annoyed by Kobe stans myself, I think the bigger nuisance right now are One_and_Done's blatant baiting attempts to get into a discussion about Kobe to make the same arguments about him again and again. Been there, done that. Too many times already.

Agree, I'd not consider Kobe for this list. But just leave him there and let the Kobe fans make the bad vote.

There's an other option for off the wall picks, and currently relatively few people have taken that option. I'm trying to list the best 9 options next to other. It's impossible to pretend Kobe is one of them. Honestly, he's not even close to the toughest cut.

Lol i have never seen so much hate for a player of Kobe’s caliber on this forum….its annoying because you intentionally make threads just to disrespect the guy like you did right here. And everytime the posters responding to you tell you that you are wrong. Its your opinion but your bias against the guy is weird.
One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,616

Post#42 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Agree, I'd not consider Kobe for this list. But just leave him there and let the Kobe fans make the bad vote.

There's an other option for off the wall picks, and currently relatively few people have taken that option. I'm trying to list the best 9 options next to other. It's impossible to pretend Kobe is one of them. Honestly, he's not even close to the toughest cut.

I'd be happy to take Kobe over KD myself. And luka doesn't have the longevity.

Well the stats suggest KD is much better, and common sense does much the same. Kobe can't impact the game in the same way a near 7 foot KD can on both ends. Kobe was just more fortunare in his team mates and crappy era.

We're projecting we ger them for their whole career, so Luka is much the same as Jokic. We aren't limited to what they've already done.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,263

Post#43 » by dygaction » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:Your Luka fetish is getting a little annoying. If it's about what they've already shown at peak, Kawhi is clearly better. If it's about what they're likely to do going forward, Wemby is clearly a stronger candidate to build around. In no way is Luka a serious candidate for anything here.

Wemby hasn't shown it yet though, and Kawhi lacks longevity to some degree despite peaking higher.

Luka hasn’t shown it either. He hasn’t completed a single season as a top 5 player in the league. Any list with him as a potential top 5 player over a 25 year period would be about what you expect him to potentially do in the future. In that way he’s just like Wemby, only way with a WAY lower ceiling.

You cannot be hating Luka just because he is a Mavs. How on earth a 25 yr old player with 5x consecutive 1st team all-nba and 3times top 5 MVP voting (yes, I am counting this year) not having a single season as top 5 yet???
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#44 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 pm

dygaction wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Wemby hasn't shown it yet though, and Kawhi lacks longevity to some degree despite peaking higher.

Luka hasn’t shown it either. He hasn’t completed a single season as a top 5 player in the league. Any list with him as a potential top 5 player over a 25 year period would be about what you expect him to potentially do in the future. In that way he’s just like Wemby, only way with a WAY lower ceiling.

You cannot be hating Luka just because he is a Mavs. How on earth a 25 yr old player with 5x consecutive 1st team all-nba and 3times top 5 MVP voting (yes, I am counting this year) not having a single season as top 5 yet???

Iggy just uses a select stat system, and everything else is irrelevant (even watching games; those are his own words). I assume Luka scored badly in whatever Wowvorper stat he's currently using.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,592

Post#45 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:49 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:There's an other option for off the wall picks, and currently relatively few people have taken that option. I'm trying to list the best 9 options next to other. It's impossible to pretend Kobe is one of them. Honestly, he's not even close to the toughest cut.

Well the stats suggest KD is much better, and common sense does much the same. Kobe can't impact the game in the same way a near 7 foot KD can on both ends. Kobe was just more fortunare in his team mates and crappy era.

We're projecting we ger them for their whole career, so Luka is much the same as Jokic. We aren't limited to what they've already done.

Man i thought i was a kobe detractor, but there's more than box metrics. And for what it's worth their career VOPR and WS are nearly the same. I'm not going to spend the time to argue for something that doesn't matter, but this is just silly. THer stats aren't so apart we can't discuss. Kobe and KG..yeah that's beyond a discourse.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#46 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 pm

dygaction wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Wemby hasn't shown it yet though, and Kawhi lacks longevity to some degree despite peaking higher.

Man....I think Luka is a clear top 5 player. But that argument is just trash. Voters suck...stop putting value on horrible people trying to profit off this stuff.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#47 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:59 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Man i thought i was a kobe detractor, but there's more than box metrics. And for what it's worth their career VOPR and WS are nearly the same. I'm not going to spend the time to argue for something that doesn't matter, but this is just silly. THer stats aren't so apart we can't discuss. Kobe and KG..yeah that's beyond a discourse.

To summarise:
As for Durant vs Kobe I don’t understand the argument for Kobe. Durant was a better scorer, better defender, and a better complementary piece who fit in more easily with others. His longevity is enough that any minor advantage Kobe has is negated.

Let’s just look at a peak to peak comparison to start with. Because KD has the consistency of a metronome (when he’s on the court), a number of different years can be advanced as his “peak”. But 2014 seems to have the strongest case. So let’s look at 2014 KD v.s 2008 Kobe (which is often advanced as Kobe’s best year).

KD: 41.8 pp 100, 9.6 rp 100, 7.2 ap 100, 123 Ortg, 104 Drtg, on an insane 635. TS%

Kobe: 36.5 pp 100, 8.1 rp 100, 6.9 ap 100, 115 Ortg, 106 Drtg, on 576. TS%

KD is better in literally every, single category, and not by a small margin. But let’s be fair to them and look at a bigger, more representative sample.

Here’s KD from 2010 to 2023, a 13 year stretch if we exclude 2020.

RS per 100: 38.2, 10, 6.3, 120 Ortg, 106 Drtg, on 631. TS%

PS per 100: 36.9, 9.8, 5.3, 115 Ortg, 108 Drtg 598. TS%

Kobe from 2000 to 2013:

RS per 100: 37.1, 7.6, 6.9, 112 Ortg, 105 Drtg, TS% 556.

PS per 100: 35.3, 6.9, 6.5, 110 Ortg, 106 Drtg, TS% 543.

So again, KD is basically beating him in every single category except for a trivial defensive rating difference, which could just be noise given how close it is and the sample size. He’s scoring more, and scoring more on insane efficiency. Even his assists are similar, despite Kobe’s supposed passing advantage (which FYI isn’t much of an advantage if you don’t like passing). The difference in Ortg is insane. KD is just cooking him.

On the defensive end KD is almost 7 feet tall with crazy long arms, so he can to a limited extent provide rim protection and switch on to bigger guys, all of which was key to his time on the Warriors. KD fits so much better than Kobe in so many situations, needing a lower usage and complementing other guys. KD was also misused to some degree in OKC, with it now being apparent in hindsight that Westbrook was not an optimal co-star for KD (to put it lightly). He often played with poor spacing in OKC, and thrived anyway.

But let’s turn to the one thing Kobe supporters can maybe argue, which is longevity. I don’t buy this, because KD has had enough longevity to score almost 27K points despite playing through several seasons cut short by COVID and lock outs, so at that point I’d say he has “enough” longevity that unless the person he’s being compared to is a comparably good player longevity isn’t enough to move the needle. But then I’m not even sure we can criticise KD’s longevity too much. Kobe has basically 12-13 healthy-ish, prime type seasons. His last few seasons were negative value add, and the early part of his career is mostly not adding too much. If we took out those years Kobe actually only has 28k+ points, so barely different to KD (who isn’t done yet either).

But what of KD? He was healthy from 2010 to 2014. That’s 5 prime seasons right there. 2016 healthy. That’s 6. 2017 and 2018 he was being rested and was out by design basically, I count those as healthy seasons. KD is up to 8 prime seasons. 2019? He was healthy all the way to the finals, then had an injury. I don’t dock him for that because it’s absurd. It would be rewarding guys like Kobe for getting bounced out in the first round, before they had a chance to injure themselves. That’s 9 prime seasons. In my mind that’s enough to overcome Kobe’s longevity easily. But I also feel KD added good value from 2021 to 2023. In those 3 seasons some of the games he missed were for rest, or due to reasons having nothing to do with injury; if he and the team were keen on him playing more, he could have. He was also healthy for the playoffs in 2021 and 2023 when it mattered (which is what he was being rested for).

I just don’t see what Kobe’s argument over KD would be. KD is just flat out better.
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 291

Post#48 » by reddyplayerone » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 pm

Nobody wants to argue about Kobe with you dude if anything people are begging you to stop with this bizarre obsessive thing you have with him :lol:

Like we get it you think he sucks so just stop my god :lol:
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#49 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Well the stats suggest KD is much better, and common sense does much the same. Kobe can't impact the game in the same way a near 7 foot KD can on both ends. Kobe was just more fortunare in his team mates and crappy era.

To summarise:
As for Durant vs Kobe I don’t understand the argument for Kobe. Durant was a better scorer, better defender, and a better complementary piece who fit in more easily with others. His longevity is enough that any minor advantage Kobe has is negated.

Let’s just look at a peak to peak comparison to start with. Because KD has the consistency of a metronome (when he’s on the court), a number of different years can be advanced as his “peak”. But 2014 seems to have the strongest case. So let’s look at 2014 KD v.s 2008 Kobe (which is often advanced as Kobe’s best year).

KD: 41.8 pp 100, 9.6 rp 100, 7.2 ap 100, 123 Ortg, 104 Drtg, on an insane 635. TS%

KD is better in literally every, single category, and not by a small margin. But let’s be fair to them and look at a bigger, more representative sample.

Kobe from 2000 to 2013:

So again, KD is basically beating him in every single category except for a trivial defensive rating difference, which could just be noise given how close it is and the sample size. He’s scoring more, and scoring more on insane efficiency. Even his assists are similar, despite Kobe’s supposed passing advantage (which FYI isn’t much of an advantage if you don’t like passing). The difference in Ortg is insane. KD is just cooking him.

On the defensive end KD is almost 7 feet tall with crazy long arms, so he can to a limited extent provide rim protection and switch on to bigger guys, all of which was key to his time on the Warriors. KD fits so much better than Kobe in so many situations, needing a lower usage and complementing other guys. KD was also misused to some degree in OKC, with it now being apparent in hindsight that Westbrook was not an optimal co-star for KD (to put it lightly). He often played with poor spacing in OKC, and thrived anyway.

But let’s turn to the one thing Kobe supporters can maybe argue, which is longevity. I don’t buy this, because KD has had enough longevity to score almost 27K points despite playing through several seasons cut short by COVID and lock outs, so at that point I’d say he has “enough” longevity that unless the person he’s being compared to is a comparably good player longevity isn’t enough to move the needle. But then I’m not even sure we can criticise KD’s longevity too much. Kobe has basically 12-13 healthy-ish, prime type seasons. His last few seasons were negative value add, and the early part of his career is mostly not adding too much. If we took out those years Kobe actually only has 28k+ points, so barely different to KD (who isn’t done yet either).

But what of KD? He was healthy from 2010 to 2014. That’s 5 prime seasons right there. 2016 healthy. That’s 6. 2017 and 2018 he was being rested and was out by design basically, I count those as healthy seasons. KD is up to 8 prime seasons. 2019? He was healthy all the way to the finals, then had an injury. I don’t dock him for that because it’s absurd. It would be rewarding guys like Kobe for getting bounced out in the first round, before they had a chance to injure themselves. That’s 9 prime seasons. In my mind that’s enough to overcome Kobe’s longevity easily. But I also feel KD added good value from 2021 to 2023. In those 3 seasons some of the games he missed were for rest, or due to reasons having nothing to do with injury; if he and the team were keen on him playing more, he could have. He was also healthy for the playoffs in 2021 and 2023 when it mattered (which is what he was being rested for).

I just don’t see what Kobe’s argument over KD would be. KD is just flat out better.

Kobe is a better point of attack defender. He's a better passer. And his ability to attack is stronger. I'm cool iwth KD over Kobe but I don't agree.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#50 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 pm

Your ability to attack is not stronger if you do it much less efficiently. Your ability to pass is not greater if you hate passing to team mates. At that point it's a theoretical advantage, like Kyrie's charisma making him a better leader. In theory maybe, but reality tells a different tale.
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#51 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Well the stats suggest KD is much better, and common sense does much the same. Kobe can't impact the game in the same way a near 7 foot KD can on both ends. Kobe was just more fortunare in his team mates and crappy era.

To summarise:

Kobe from 2000 to 2013:

To summarize…..watch basketball and quit using metrics to rank players…. For example Stockton and Malone are both top 5 players all time in career VORP rankings. Even if somebody ranks Durant over Kobe they are both top 15 players of all time regardless of what you think.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#52 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 pm

MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

To summarise:

Kobe from 2000 to 2013:

To summarize…..watch basketball and quit using metrics to rank players…. For example Stockton and Malone are both top 5 players all time in career VORP rankings. Even if somebody ranks Durant over Kobe they are both top 15 players of all time regardless of what you think.

So you didn't read my post basically. I didn't even cite any metrics, unless any stats whatever are "metrics".
MavsDirk41
Analyst

Post#53 » by MavsDirk41 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:30 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
To summarise:

So you didn't read my post basically. I didn't even cite any metrics, unless any stats whatever are "metrics".

Stats/metrics is basically all you ever post on here when trying to debate players on here. Player accolades. Player accomplishments. And watching a players career are factors as well even if you dont agree. Kevin Durant offensively is goat worthy. The dude has no weaknesses offensively, he can do it all. But i take Kobe over him defensively. And Durant won 2 championships playing with Curry, Thompson, and Green. Probably the most stacked team ever in those finals wins in 17 and 18. Even if Shaq was the best Laker during the 3 peat i respect Kobes championships over Durants. Regardless they are both top 15 players of all time.
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#54 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:39 pm

MavsDirk41 wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:

Stats/metrics is basically all you ever post on here when trying to debate players on here. Player accolades. Player accomplishments. And watching a players career are factors as well even if you dont agree. Kevin Durant offensively is goat worthy. The dude has no weaknesses offensively, he can do it all. But i take Kobe over him defensively. And Durant won 2 championships playing with Curry, Thompson, and Green. Probably the most stacked team ever in those finals wins in 17 and 18. Even if Shaq was the best Laker during the 3 peat i respect Kobes championships over Durants. Regardless they are both top 15 players of all time.

If you ever bothered to read my posts you'd know I basically never cite all in one metrics, etc.

More comically, you then tell me I should pay more attention to "Player accolades. Player accomplishments. And watching a players". This is amusing as I often cite these things; not as a be all and end all, but as an initial indicator of how a player was rated during their career. Kobe's accolades are more in line with a top 20 player than a top 15 one. He has exactly 1 MVP, and was never particularly close to winning a 2nd... and that MVP was widely mocked at the time as a lifetime achievement award, because people felt bad Kobe didn't have one yet.

If you "watched the players" you'd know that "player accomplishments" tend to be affected somewhat by context. Kobe's ringz are a good example. He had better context than others, so he has more rings. That's a team accomplishment. In terms of individual achievements, his ability to carry a team would be an example of that, and Kobe was very mediocre in that regard. From 99-07 he led the Lakers to a 135-137 record in games Shaq missed, and I know that because I watched the games, just like I watched Kobe choke in the playoffs many times (e.g. 04, 00, 08, 10, 11, game 7 of 06, etc).
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,705

Post#55 » by Swish1906 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 pm

KG over someone like Dirk, who spanked his ass when KG had to „carry“ a franchise :lol:
One_and_Done
Analyst

Post#56 » by One_and_Done » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:45 pm

Swish1906 wrote:KG over someone like Dirk, who spanked his ass when KG had to „carry“ a franchise :lol:

Dirk was a tough omission. I ultimately rate KG higher, and that's not a controversial opinion. On the PC board top 100 vote KG was way above Dirk.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#57 » by Stribor » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:46 pm

I would go with Shaq, Kobe, Curry, Duncan, Jokic. The reason I do not have LBJ which is the best player among them is cause then I would not build around him but he would build around himself. Curry, Jokic and Tim have great mentality and style of play to build around, and Kobe and Shaq are just plug in and play guys.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,125

Post#58 » by zimpy27 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:49 pm

There have been at least 85 voters for this and LeBron has 77..

So 8 people (or more) don't think LeBron is a top 5 player in last 25 years.. 10% of voters.. :lol:
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,356

Post#59 » by Bornstellar » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:51 pm

Duncan
LeBron
Shaq
Jokic
Kobe
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,186

Post#60 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:53 pm

thought KD would get more votes. Joining the Warriors didn't help his case.

Return to The General Board