2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers (NYK WINS 4-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Knicks in 4
6%
Knicks in 5
21%
Knicks in 6
29%
Knicks in 7
11%
Sixers in 4
2%
Sixers in 5
3%
Sixers in 6
18%
Sixers in 7
11%

Total votes: 345

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,357

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers (NYK leads 2-0) 

Post#2821 » by eyeatoma » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:37 pm

NiceLikeChrist wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:Derek Bodner is literally saying in that tweet that the NBA finds Nurse should NOT have been granted a timeout.
Wrong

That's when he's on the floor. That was a correct no timeout. The one that should have been granted was before the ball was inbounded.

Read on Twitter
?t=e8OTmEOYSiSauS8IMgNf9Q&s=19

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

You mean the one where he’s just holding his hands in the air waiting to actually call time out if they can’t get a clean inbounds

But once the ball is inbounded to Maxey he quickly puts his hands down because he didn’t want to actually call time unless it was gonna be a 5 second violation

Give me a break
That's what the report says. You can say that all you want. The league says it's a timeout.

NiceLikeChrist
Senior
And1: 527

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers (NYK leads 2-0) 

Post#2822 » by NiceLikeChrist » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 pm

Only thing the last two minute report showed is that they’re letting them play on inbounds. Which was a standard set early on and Philly was clearly aware of seeing how they were pulling and grabbing Brunson every inbound we did. Hell, they even called a 2 arm shove by Maxey “marginal”.

And no timeout should’ve been given after the ball was in play.
NiceLikeChrist
Senior

Post#2823 » by NiceLikeChrist » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:39 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
NiceLikeChrist wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Wrong

That's when he's on the floor. That was a correct no timeout. The one that should have been granted was before the ball was inbounded.

Read on Twitter

You mean the one where he’s just holding his hands in the air waiting to actually call time out if they can’t get a clean inbounds

But once the ball is inbounded to Maxey he quickly puts his hands down because he didn’t want to actually call time unless it was gonna be a 5 second violation

Give me a break
That's what the report says. You can say that all you want. The league says it's a timeout.

League also says two arm shoves and forearms to the head are marginal contact so I guess it’s up to you whether you believe everything the league “says” or if you want to use your own eyes and brain to come to a conclusion
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,264

Post#2824 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:41 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
NiceLikeChrist wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Wrong

Read on Twitter

Give me a break

You're right. But some of us would like to better understand the rules and why the league ruled the way it did.

Saying "the league said so" doesn't really explain why the league decided Nurse putting his hands up was enough to signal for a TO even though they weren't together in the shape of a T until after the inbounds pass.

Ditto why Hart being pushed off balance after Maxey runs into him & extends both of his arms is "marginal contact" but what happens to maxey are fouls that impede his ability to make a play.

I'm not contesting that's what the league decided, I just want to understand the rules well enough to know why.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 17,445

Post#2825 » by Im Coming Home » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:42 pm

Since we're talking about contact during the inbound and not being called.... a ton of these could be fouls that weren't called either but because they weren't in the last 2 minutes we'll never know if it was INC/CC/CNC/etc..

Read on Twitter
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#2826 » by eyeatoma » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 pm

NiceLikeChrist wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
NiceLikeChrist wrote:

Give me a break

League also says two arm shoves and forearms to the head are marginal contact so I guess it’s up to you whether you believe everything the league “says” or if you want to use your own eyes and brain to come to a conclusion
And what do your two eyes say about the 2 fouls the Sixers weren't granted in that report. Any way you look at it the. SIXERS were hosed the other wasn't. You can debate some of the. Calls on the. L2m not all. That's the point. Quit trying to justify the league effing up this series.

xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,157

Post#2827 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:46 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:On the next timestamp

It's the same play. There was no other play where Nurse tried to call a timeout that was not granted.

The first screen shot shows at 27 seconds left. The seconds shows between 27 and 23.7 seconds left. The third screenshot is at 23.7 seconds left.

The second screen shot is the 2 plays combined.

Read on Twitter
Watch the time on the clock.
Before ball is inbounded it says 27 seconds. That's when Nurse makes his first timeout attempt and that's what the 2nd tweet on the report says should have been granted.

Read on Twitter

I see what you mean but I'm not sure that first one is considered an attempt which is why it was not recognized. At the end of the sequence Nurse turns to the ref at centre court to call the timeout. He didn't turn to that ref at the beginning of the play.
ChrisStudley
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#2828 » by ChrisStudley » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:46 pm

Q4 00:23.7 Foul: Personal Josh Hart Tyrese Maxey CNC Video
Comment: Hart (NYK) cleanly steals the ball from Maxey (PHI). An attempt to call a timeout by Coach Nurse (PHI) during this play is neither recognized nor granted by the officials; the timeout request is simultaneous to Hart making contact with the ball and PHI not having possession.[/quote]

Two statements:
1) An attempt to call a timeout by Coach Nurse (PHI) during this play is neither recognized nor granted by the officials
2) The timeout request is simultaneous to Hart making contact with the ball and PHI not having possession.

The refs are ONLY admitting that they did not recognize Nurse's underwhelming timeout signaling. However, they are NOT admitting that a timeout should have been granted. They are in fact saying that the request, which they missed, was simultaneous to when "Hart (NYK) cleanly steals the ball from Maxey (PHI)."

"The timeout request is simultaneous to Hart making contact with the ball and PHI not having possession."

Get over the timeout thing. He never called timeout on the inbound. His hands were hovering ready to call a timeout and you can see him pull his hands away when Lowry inbounds. The validity of this inbound timeout attempt is not specifically addressed in the L2M report, probably because it is so silly and confusing to hold your hands like that in the first place, but the description is within a CNC (correct no-call) section of the report. For the 2nd timeout attempt, he did try to call the timeout as Maxey gets the ball to Lowry, but he is just too late. Timeouts aren't photo finishes. They have to be noticed and possession has to be established, and that isn't going to happen by a human in like 0.25 seconds. If this were a reviewable in-game moment, you might have a chance? It's so close that I don't even know.

Brunson grabbed Maxey's jersey after Maxey's two-hand shove on Hart. You make your own decision on this, but to me that's bang-bang, and if you're going to call the jersey hold, then Knicks fans are going to call the shove.

Hart bumps Maxey. You can totally be mad at this moment if you want. I think Maxey let himself fall expecting a call, but it's fine if you disagree. However, if you use phrases like:
Knicks were mauling, home-cooking, 8-5, conspiracy, refs/league want Knicks to win...
You just look silly.

Jersey holds happen every game, and in this game, they happened most primarily from Batum and Oubre on Brunson during inbounds. These weren't getting called much in this game. It sucks that it happened against you in the last moments of the game, but historically, refs allow the end to be more physical. The successful coach's challenge on Dante was the single worst call of the game. It went against the Knicks. Your star is a top-3 in the league feather-light whistle, despite weighing 280lbs, which has already hurt the Knicks and will continue to hurt us all series.

The majority of your anger should really be placed on:
Lowry not immediately calling a timeout
Nurse not immediately calling a timeout
The terrible inbounding strategy of all 5 Sixers players on this play, including:
- The majority of players running from the scene
- Nobody cutting or setting picks
- Maxey running to the corner for the inbound
- And again, Lowry not calling a timeout at any moment
Maxey (arguably) falling to get a whistle
Maxey not immediately calling a timeout when he fell
Nurse (again) not immediately calling a timeout when Maxey was falling or fell
Maxey going 75% of the way to attempt a dangerous through-the-legs pass to Lowry and then kind of...stopping?
Batum and Harris randomly standing near OG doing nothing, letting Divo take a wide-open 3 (lucky miss for you)
Letting iHart secure a rebound in the middle of four Sixers players (they practically rolled out a red carpet)
Not swarming to the Knicks' best 3-pt shooter after the rebound

You're a good team, playing with a hurt MVP, and you lost two close games. We're a good team, playing without an all-NBA star, and we won two close games. Both teams have been banged up all season. You're not getting cheated out of anything. Good luck for the rest of the series.
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#2829 » by Im Coming Home » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:46 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
NiceLikeChrist wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:That's what the report says. You can say that all you want. The league says it's a timeout.

And what do your two eyes say about the 2 fouls the Sixers weren't granted in that report. Any way you look at it the. SIXERS were hosed the other wasn't. You can debate some of the. Calls on the. L2m not all. That's the point. Quit trying to justify the league effing up this series.

I think CGF said it best to you.

You're right. But some of us would like to better understand the rules and why the league ruled the way it did.

Saying "the league said so" doesn't really explain why the league decided Nurse putting his hands up was enough to signal for a TO even though they weren't together in the shape of a T until after the inbounds pass.

Ditto why Hart being pushed off balance after Maxey runs into him & extends both of his arms is "marginal contact" but what happens to maxey are fouls that impede his ability to make a play.

I'm not contesting that's what the league decided, I just want to understand the rules well enough to know why.

I still do not understand how Maxey's two hand shove of Hart is considered marginal contact when he did it to gain an advantage and it worked to get him open for a second enough to make Lowry think he could inbound it to him.

eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#2830 » by eyeatoma » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:49 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
It's the same play. There was no other play where Nurse tried to call a timeout that was not granted.

The first screen shot shows at 27 seconds left. The seconds shows between 27 and 23.7 seconds left. The third screenshot is at 23.7 seconds left.

The second screen shot is the 2 plays combined.

Read on Twitter
Watch the time on the clock.
Before ball is inbounded it says 27 seconds. That's when Nurse makes his first timeout attempt and that's what the 2nd tweet on the report says should have been granted.

Read on Twitter

I see what you mean but I'm not sure that first one is considered an attempt which is why it was not recognized. At the end of the sequence Nurse turns to the ref at centre court to call the timeout. He didn't turn to that ref at the beginning of the play.
It can be debated but the NBA ruled on it in the report. When you take all the **** ups on that report least one of them should have held up and the Sixers should have won.

xAIRNESSx
RealGM

Post#2831 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:52 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Watch the time on the clock.

Read on Twitter

It can be debated but the NBA ruled on it in the report. When you take all the **** ups on that report least one of them should have held up and the Sixers should have won.

I guess the word recognized leaves some room for interpretation but this is not them necessarily admitting that they missed the call. That sequence was assessed as a correct non call.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,842

Post#2832 » by QPR » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:55 pm

I thought eyeatoma only ruined MVP threads
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#2833 » by Im Coming Home » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:57 pm

Honest question, do you see Nick Nurse signal for a timeout here, or just hold it close and 'at the ready' and once the ball is inbounded and in mid-air(you can't call a timeout while its in mid-air) he does some weird quick drop of his hands.

My answer: I know I am a Knicks fan and biased, but I genuinely do not see a timeout motion, I see him holding it 'at the ready' I assume incase of a 5-second call or if they have trouble inbounding it, but once they inbound it, he quickly drops this 'at the ready' pose.

cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,264

Post#2834 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:57 pm

eyeatoma wrote:It can be debated but the NBA ruled on it in the report. When you take all the **** ups on that report least one of them should have held up and the Sixers should have won.

There were just 3 incorrect calls in the final minute according to that report...

- Embiid (PHI) extends his left hand forward and into DiVincenzo's (NYK) head/face as he begins his dribble, and the contact affects his SQBR.
- Brunson (NYK) pulls Maxey's (PHI) jersey away from his body, which affects Maxey's ability to secure the pass.
- Hart (NYK) steps forward into Maxey's (PHI) space and initiates lower body contact that causes Maxey to lose his balance and fall to the floor.

https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0042300112
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
bronxknicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 1,477

Post#2835 » by bronxknicksfan1 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:00 pm

So, let’s say refs start calling that jersey pull as a foul from here on out…

How long until Oubre and Batum foul out? They were getting away with that all game on Brunson.
NiceLikeChrist
Senior

Post#2836 » by NiceLikeChrist » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:03 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
NiceLikeChrist wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:That's what the report says. You can say that all you want. The league says it's a timeout.

I already said that officials were letting both teams play on inbound plays. Did you watch the sixers on any of our inbounds plays when we were leading in the 4th? They grabbed, pushed, pulled Brunson and didn’t get called for it. That was the standard set well before the last 2 minutes. Were they fouls? Sure if we’re being soft. But it would’ve been INCONSISTENT if they called those and not all the others. They were letting them play which is fair for both teams.

The issue is you’re looking at this last 2 minutes in a vacuum and not understanding how the game was being called leading up to that. If there was a last 8 minute report there would be missed foul calls on every single inbound by each team. That’s how the game was being officiated. It’s only an issue in the last two minutes because the sixers mentally and physically collapsed and people need to blame something other than the team and players.

Maxey was on the floor and lost the ball. Guess what? Donte got a 3 pt shot off, ihart got a rebound, kick out, and Donte got another 3 pt shot up. And where was Maxey? Still in the same spot where he fell down. No heart, no hustle like the rest of his team. Ball watching and thinking the game was won 2 minutes ago.
bluemj32
Rookie
And1: 945

Post#2837 » by bluemj32 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:04 pm

Butch718 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=LxpYQLAb_mCEL1YSZn3QZg&s=19

This dude missed a wide open go ahead 3, how about you pay attention to your own short comings, while blowing a 20 point lead you embarrassing cry baby.
Both can be right, officiating was bad and the Lakers should have not blown a lead

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,405

Post#2838 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:04 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Sixer fans tryna front like refs arent their best friends, when Embiid averages 11+ free throws a game the past 3 seasons lol

Just shows you how much more skilled Jokic truly is with only 5.5 fta
? Embiid earns them. Also you should watch Jalen Brunson acting like he gets shot Ala Trae Young.

Read on Twitter
?t=pZJbqusVz6POPHCtXLboaQ&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=Ft2mLoPT9JjQX3K_gBNZUg&s=19

Read on Twitter
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#2839 » by eyeatoma » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:15 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Sixer fans tryna front like refs arent their best friends, when Embiid averages 11+ free throws a game the past 3 seasons lol

Just shows you how much more skilled Jokic truly is with only 5.5 fta
? Embiid earns them. Also you should watch Jalen Brunson acting like he gets shot Ala Trae Young.

Read on Twitter
?t=pZJbqusVz6POPHCtXLboaQ&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=Ft2mLoPT9JjQX3K_gBNZUg&s=19

Read on Twitter

Doesn't make it any different that Brunson is a huge flopper which Knicks fans claim wasn't the truth.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM

Post#2840 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:15 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:Honest question, do you see Nick Nurse signal for a timeout here, or just hold it close and 'at the ready' and once the ball is inbounded and in mid-air(you can't call a timeout while its in mid-air) he does some weird quick drop of his hands.

My answer: I know I am a Knicks fan and biased, but I genuinely do not see a timeout motion, I see him holding it 'at the ready' I assume incase of a 5-second call or if they have trouble inbounding it, but once they inbound it, he quickly drops this 'at the ready' pose.

I don't think he is either.

Coaches will usually turn to the closest ref to them when they want to call a timeout which in this case would've been the ref at centre court. Nurse does this at the end of the play when he's adamantly requesting a timeout.

I think he was getting ready if he needed to call a timeout.

Return to The General Board