2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers (NYK WINS 4-2)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Knicks in 4
6%
Knicks in 5
21%
Knicks in 6
28%
Knicks in 7
11%
Sixers in 4
2%
Sixers in 5
3%
Sixers in 6
18%
Sixers in 7
11%

Total votes: 344

durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,949

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers 

Post#181 » by durden_tyler » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 am

Wolfgang630 wrote:It’s sad this is the talking point for an opponent on Embiid.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=XO0PgrZjS-uU8MmGKL8grQ

Sad and smart?
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #2 New York Knicks vs. #7 Philadelphia 76ers 

Post#182 » by cgf » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am

stuporman wrote:
cgf wrote:
stuporman wrote:Brunson was carrying a team to the 2nd seed when 4 of the starters from the beginning of the season were either hurt or traded away so it was him and the back ups.

Sure the Knicks got some help when other teams around them floundered but they had to win enough games, 50 of them to be precise, to take advantage of it.

TBF one of those starters was traded away because Donte took the starting job amidst this career year he's having...but we were missing our starting frontcourt a big chunk of the season. And Jalen had a number of different knocks throughout the season that he played through or missed minimal time for.

I think I mentioned that but I appreciate the heads up.

No worries, just felt I'd clarify for folks who didn't follow us that closely since you glossed over it before saying Jalen "and the back ups". Which is underselling DiVincenzo and how good he's been since moving into the starting lineup. I'm still a big Grimes believer, but the support Jalen is getting from the "backup" in this case is more than he would've gotten from that starter even if he was still around.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
emptygator
Rookie
And1: 43

Post#183 » by emptygator » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 am

Sixers in 6, if Embiid plays with hustle.

If he plays lethargic, Knicks likely win series if team shooting %s are similar
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,217

Post#184 » by stuporman » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 am

durden_tyler wrote:

Read on Twitter

Sad and smart?

Isn't that most of the characters in the sitcom the big bang theory?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
cgf
RealGM

Post#185 » by cgf » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 am

stuporman wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:

Read on Twitter

Sad and smart?

Isn't that most of the characters in the sitcom the big bang theory?

None of them are smart.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,950

Post#186 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 am

durden_tyler wrote:

Read on Twitter

Sad and smart?

So smart he’s never made an ECF.
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,432

Post#187 » by The High Cyde » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 am

I got Knicks in 6
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,420

Post#189 » by CIN-C-STAR » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 am

Knicks in 5.
If they go 6 Nurse is a genius.
Knicks are just a better team and if a less-than-100% Embiid takes over this playoff series it will be the first time.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,335

Post#190 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:15 am

stuporman wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:LOL

holy ****

Jalen Brunson exploded because he's one of the biggest floppers in the league. He's a great guard, but the only reason he's thriving is what Hussein said. The team is built around him. The Sixers are not built around Maxey.

Maxey is younger, a better shooter, faster, and an incredible finisher. He also has the most 50 point games this year tied with Embiid and someone else I forgot. Brunson is no slouch don't get me wrong. But the two are far closer than you think. It's okay though you guys are finally having some success after 15+ years of ineptitude I like the passion.

I'd say it was you who lost all credibility with that comment but I'm not sure if you had any before you made it.

Even if you believe what you say how is it he makes all the shots he does at his size, speed and athletic ability to the tune of 48/40/85? All the flopping you suggest he does makes the ball go in the hoop?

He's 4th in the league in PPG with the first 3 on the list also being the first 3 in FTA so Brunson must be 4th in them, right? No, he's 9th...I guess all the 'flopping' you imagine doesn't get the same calls.

He's 2nd in the league for FGA but again still only 9th in FTA...b-b-but all the flopping! He's 3rd in drives to the basket but yep, still only 9th in FTA...so floppy.

Not totally ironic in the least is you calling someone else a flopper when Embiid who is one of the largest players in the league in height and weight is constantly flailing around after contact he creates to get calls.

You don't have to reply, I won't believe you anyway...not sure if you had any credibility to begin with...the most flopping I see is going on in this thread by someone who can't accept reality, just imo.

I expect a great series from two really good teams, I don't know what you are expecting...

There are 543 players in the league. Jalen Brunson is 9th in free throw attempts, that's still pretty damn high. Sure Embiid flops, he also earns the majority of his calls.

;t=1s

I never said this won't be a tight series. I respect the Knicks and am a fan of Brunson. I do think he's the only offensive threat on the team, and Nurse is known for focusing all of his resources on the star player. So IMO, the key will be can the Knicks roleplayers beat the Sixers for 4 games, with no other star player. IMO that's going to be hard to do, as the Sixers have two out of the 3 best players in the series even with Embiid not 100%.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,592

Post#191 » by SFour » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:36 am

Knicks in 6/7 games....definitely a tough 1st round matchup, Sixers are more of a 2/3 seed that you would expect as a 2nd round matchup.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,679

Post#192 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:05 am

Regarding Embiid drawing fouls, I don’t enjoy that either. But if you think about it, if the league takes that away from everyone, then it will make it hard for guys like Brunson to score, while big guys would still dominate the league because low post offense would then trump face-up offense.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#193 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:25 am

Read on Twitter

For people who think that Maxey isn't on Brunson's level.
cgf
RealGM

Post#194 » by cgf » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Read on Twitter

For people who think that Maxey isn't on Brunson's level.

We’ll see tomorrow :dontknow:

Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,938

Post#195 » by Exp0sed » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 am

One Last Shot wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:

He made clutch plays after clutch plays when his team was down with 3 minutes to play to win the game that's what matter most. Are you aware that he just had a surgery few months ago and tweaked his knee few days ago?

Read on Twitter

Don't you think that also makes him limited in all the games you mentioned(last years playoffs after he injured his knee against Nets and post injury this season) the way Butler was last night or that excuse only works for Jimmy?

i'm well aware

so in his first game back from surgery, in his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th etc. - he was fine jacking up a ton of shots, right? hitting them too, at a very high clip. vs. OKC without their stars and Memphis wit a lineup of 2 way players - his knee was just fine

in the play-in game when it matters, suddenly his knee is acting up? is that what ur going with? :)
it's funny because his best stretch in the game was very late in the game, weird how his knee and condition suddenly improved after 35 mins of PT. maybe Embiid lives in some alternate reality where the time-arrow is inverted haha

that would explain why he stat pads and dominates in the rs but disappears and defers to Lowry and Batum in the playoffs..he's just confused because from his prespective of time - the playoffs come before the rs :)

Embiid was 100% healthy going into the play-in game. it's true his conditioning isn't all there yet but as far as being limited or hobbled he was neither of those things. just 10 days ago or so, he was putting up 37\11\8 on the Pistones and similarly, playing 36 mins and jacking up his usual 22+ FGA

why did he suddenly get so shy against the Heat?
spoiler: it had nothing to do with his knee, it's all between the ears with this guy

p.s - Butler was legit injured, he'll be out for weeks now. if it was a rs game he never would have came back or even attempted to play. Embiid "tweaks" his knee every other game, his knee was fine. so yes, that excuse only works for Jimmy cuz he was the only one actually injured and limited
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,525

Post#196 » by DaGawd » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:55 am

76ciology wrote:Regarding Embiid drawing fouls, I don’t enjoy that either. But if you think about it, if the league takes that away from everyone, then it will make it hard for guys like Brunson to score, while big guys would still dominate the league because low post offense would then trump face-up offense.

i keep seeing this parroted by fans as if brunson is at the top of the league in ft attempts..
BaF
Washington Wizards
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#197 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:58 am

DaGawd wrote:
76ciology wrote:Regarding Embiid drawing fouls, I don’t enjoy that either. But if you think about it, if the league takes that away from everyone, then it will make it hard for guys like Brunson to score, while big guys would still dominate the league because low post offense would then trump face-up offense.

i keep seeing this parroted by fans as if brunson is at the top of the league in ft attempts..
He's 9th in the league. That's high

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,525

Post#198 » by DaGawd » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 am

eyeatoma wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

he’s tied for 10 with jayson tatum while having played more games than most on the list
BaF
Washington Wizards
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Post#199 » by nikster » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:13 am

DaGawd wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
DaGawd wrote:i keep seeing this parroted by fans as if brunson is at the top of the league in ft attempts..

he’s tied for 10 with jayson tatum while having played more games than most on the list

Hes only 16th in per game attempts as well at 6.5 per game. Embiid leads the league at 11.5, and him and Giannis are so far ahead of the rest of the league I don't know you can call anyone else 'high'
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#200 » by eyeatoma » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am

nikster wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:He's 9th in the league. That's high

Hes only 16th in per game attempts as well at 6.5 per game. Embiid leads the league at 11.5, and him and Giannis are so far ahead of the rest of the league I don't know you can call anyone else 'high'

Take those two out, and it's a lot closer. Those two are savants when it comes to drawing contact.

Return to The General Board