Update: Jimmy Butler out several weeks with MCL sprain

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,848

Update: Jimmy Butler out several weeks with MCL sprain 

Post#1 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:25 am

Update:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

--------------------------------------------------

Read on Twitter

GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,121

Re: Shams: Jimmy Butler feared to have MCL injury 

Post#2 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 am

Maybe that’s why sometimes it pays to take the regular season seriously

Real unlucky obviously, but all kinds of random **** can happen if you’re playing in unnecessary games
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,657

Post#3 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:34 am

What the hell. I know these are just flukes and not the norm, but I'm really disliking the play-in tournament right now. Pelicans lose Zion and are about to miss the playoffs as the 7th seed. Butler gets hurt now and instead of a compelling Celtics/Heat series, Boston gets a walkover, be it Miami or Chicago.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,726

Post#4 » by 76thBearCub » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:36 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:Maybe that’s why sometimes it pays to take the regular season seriously

Real unlucky obviously, but all kinds of random **** can happen if you’re playing in unnecessary games

Really not a drop of logic in this post.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#5 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:39 am

76thBearCub wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Maybe that’s why sometimes it pays to take the regular season seriously

Well it actually makes sense.

If you obtain a higher seed you’re locked into a playoff spot to play a likely weak team in the first round.

If a key player gets injured you may be able to hold on and get by that team anyway without him.

Injuries continually happen in the playoffs so having to play elimination games to get in and then scrap against a top seed and win road games and hope you’re healthy is a hell of a gamble.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,795

Post#6 » by picc » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 am

Really wanted to see Boston tested in the first round by someone with at least a punchers chance. This sucks. No drama whatsoever in that series now.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,726

Post#7 » by 76thBearCub » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:43 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:

If you obtain a higher seed you’re locked into a playoff spot to play a likely weak team in the first round.

If a key player gets injured you may be able to hold on and get by that team anyway without him.

Injuries continually happen in the playoffs so having to play elimination games to get in and then scrap against a top seed and win road games and hope you’re healthy is a hell of a gamble.

So risk injury over the course of the whole regular season so you don't have to in 1 or 2 games?
RRR3
Veteran
And1: 3,466

Post#8 » by RRR3 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 am

Giving worse teams a chance to get higher seeds than better teams because of single elimination fluke shooting games is actively insane. Especially since as we see adding extra must win games is another chance for injury. Both the Heat and Pelicans should be in the playoffs right now. Silver sacrifices players for the league to make money. Pathetic fraudulent pos commissioner.

What’s crazy is almost everyone knew the play-in was a horrible, unfair idea at first but the relentless media campaign jerking it off has brainwashed many into thinking it’s good.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,405

Post#9 » by Pablo Escobar » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 am

I wanted to see him eliminate Boston again. Get well soon Jimmy G!!
Plata o Plomo?
advent11
Sophomore
And1: 290

Post#10 » by advent11 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 am

Get rid of the play-in.

Jimmy shouldn't have been left in the game.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#11 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 am

76thBearCub wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
76thBearCub wrote:

So risk injury over the course of the whole regular season so you don't have to in 1 or 2 games?

So playing more games in the the regular season, not continually resting guys for little bumps and bruises means they’ll get injured?

Sorry I don’t see the correlation there at all.

History also says that you won’t win much at all from the 7th or 8th seed.
One Last Shot
Sixth Man
And1: 2,836

Post#12 » by One Last Shot » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:49 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:What the hell. I know these are just flukes and not the norm, but I'm really disliking the play-in tournament right now. Pelicans lose Zion and are about to miss the playoffs as the 7th seed. Butler gets hurt now and instead of a compelling Celtics/Heat series they'll get a walkover, be it Miami or Chicago.

I think the lesson here moving forward is you have to take regular season games seriously. I think Pelicans lose 5 straight home games before the play-in including a game against the Spurs where they sit out Zion. If they win even just one game out of those 5, they already secure a playoffs seed already even if they lose against the Lakers in their final regular season game. Heat obviously counting on play-in again to make the postseason and just "turn it on again" in the playoffs, obviously that plan backfires and bite them terribly this time around with this Butler injury.
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,626

Post#13 » by PierceFan4ever » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 am

Was gonna get swept in the first round anyways.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#14 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:56 am

One Last Shot wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:What the hell. I know these are just flukes and not the norm, but I'm really disliking the play-in tournament right now. Pelicans lose Zion and are about to miss the playoffs as the 7th seed. Butler gets hurt now and instead of a compelling Celtics/Heat series they'll get a walkover, be it Miami or Chicago.

I think the lesson here moving forward is you have to take regular season games seriously. I think Pelicans lose 5 straight home games before the play-in including a game against the Spurs where they sit out Zion. If they win even just one game out of those 5, they already secure a playoffs seed already even if they lose against the Lakers in their final regular season game. Heat obviously counting on play-in again to make the postseason and just "turn it on again" in the playoffs, obviously that plan backfires and bite them terribly this time around with this Butler injury.

You mean like by not having 2 play-in games completely negate an 82-game season? I agree.
RRR3
Veteran

Post#15 » by RRR3 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:

You mean like by not having 2 play-in games completely negate an 82-game season? I agree.

But how would poor Silver and his rich buddies squeeze extra cash out of the consumers? :(
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#16 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:

I don’t like the play in but it can be easily avoided by treating the regular season more seriously.

Especially in the East where it’s far less competitive than the West.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#17 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:

I don’t like the play in but it can be easily avoided by treating the regular season more seriously.

What is this nonsense that losses come as a result of not taking the regular season seriously? It's just a lame, mindless cliche. Unless they're tanking, teams try to win and sometimes they lose. All the teams we're talking about took things seriously.
RRR3
Veteran

Post#18 » by RRR3 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:02 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
One Last Shot wrote:

Uh what? Top 8 teams are taking things seriously trust me. They can’t all finish top 6 though.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#19 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

What is this nonsense that losses come as a result of not taking the regular season seriously? It's just a lame, mindless cliche. Unless they're tanking, teams try to win and sometimes they lose. All the teams we're talking about took things seriously.

The team is obviously trying when it’s game time.

But a team like Miami for example is constantly sitting out guys with real minor stuff.

Butler is on record stating he doesn’t care about how many games he plays in the regular season.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,984

Post#20 » by Blazing_royale » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 am

He not young anymore
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection

Return to The General Board