Update: Jimmy Butler out several weeks with MCL sprain

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,227

Re: Shams: Jimmy Butler feared to have MCL injury 

Post#21 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:10 am

Zion and Jimmy getting injured during the play-in actually makes a good argument for why the games should be eliminated. The stats don't even count.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,072

Post#22 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am

Serious injury or not, when was the last time a player had an MRI on a knee and played the next game?
bushybrah_
Sixth Man
And1: 1,390

Post#23 » by bushybrah_ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am

We are cooked. Shouldn’t even be in this position to begin with. But we take the regular season as a joke and it completely bites us in the end. Not surprised.
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#24 » by Charlesareed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 am

Oubre fall on his leg that has nothing to do with the play in the playoffs usually start April 16/17/18 every year until the play in was introduced so those injuries couldn’t happened in the playoffs injuries happen it’s part of the game
Chicago Raised me
bushybrah_
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by bushybrah_ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
You mean like by not having 2 play-in games completely negate an 82-game season? I agree.

I don’t like the play in but it can be easily avoided by treating the regular season more seriously.

Especially in the East where it’s far less competitive than the West.

What is this nonsense that losses come as a result of not taking the regular season seriously? It's just a lame, mindless cliche. Unless they're tanking, teams try to win and sometimes they lose. All the teams we're talking about took things seriously.

As a Heat fan, you have not watched this team play all season. They’ve done this almost every year the past few years.
bushybrah_
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by bushybrah_ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 am

And I hate blaming the play in as the issue for injuries. Injuries can happen whenever and wherever. Whether it’s a preseason game, or practice, end of the game or the finals. It doesn’t matter. I’m not using that as an excuse as to why we lost. We didn’t play good enough in the regular season or this game. Plain and simple.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,712

Post#27 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 am

**** the play in. Seriously.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,712

Post#28 » by EmpireFalls » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:19 am

bushybrah_ wrote:And I hate blaming the play in as the issue for injuries. Injuries can happen whenever and wherever. Whether it’s a preseason game, or practice, end of the game or the finals. It doesn’t matter. I’m not using that as an excuse as to why we lost. We didn’t play good enough in the regular season or this game. Plain and simple.

More like a 1 day turnaround from final regular season game to full play-off intensity rather than the usual week long ramp up period is gonna have some unintended consequences…
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,072

Post#29 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:20 am

bushybrah_ wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:I don’t like the play in but it can be easily avoided by treating the regular season more seriously.

What is this nonsense that losses come as a result of not taking the regular season seriously? It's just a lame, mindless cliche. Unless they're tanking, teams try to win and sometimes they lose. All the teams we're talking about took things seriously.

As a Heat fan, you have not watched this team play all season. They’ve done this almost every year the past few years.

I'm not arguing that they don't err on the side of rest, if not excessively so. The conventional system has penalties for that sort of thing: missing the Playoffs or drawing a tougher path. You're top 8 through 82, you deserve to be in the playoffs...and if you think an 8 seed doesn't, you know who's likely to deserve it even less? The 9th or 10th seed.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,193

Post#30 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:21 am

I don't understand the "blame the play-in" crowd. Is the argument that invincibility spells can be cast on the players for the playoffs, but not the play-in game?
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,932

Post#31 » by One Last Shot » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
You mean like by not having 2 play-in games completely negate an 82-game season? I agree.

I don’t like the play in but it can be easily avoided by treating the regular season more seriously.

It's not a nonsense, Butler said that mainly because they know they can just "turn it on again" during play-in then playoffs like last year.

Read on Twitter

However, Heat star Jimmy Butler said he'd be content with any outcome, as he's confident with his team's ability to compete against anyone.

"I don't give a damn," Butler told Vincent Goodwill of Yahoo Sports. "I just love playing basketball. We can beat anybody when we're playing the right way. Play-in, here we come. Playoffs, here we come."

Then he got injured tonight and will be out indefinitely in a game that they can avoid if they take regular season games seriously since the opening night.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#32 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:25 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
bushybrah_ wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

I'm not arguing that they don't err on the side of rest, if not excessively so. The conventional system has penalties for that sort of thing: missing the Playoffs or drawing a tougher path. You're top 8 through 82, you deserve to be in the playoffs...and if you think an 8 seed doesn't, you know who's likely to deserve it even less? The 9th or 10th seed.

The point of the playin is to give those not terrible but also not good teams something to play for. Basically the NBA version of wild card games.

So far, it's generally worked as intended.

People are going to get hurt, that's just how sports works.
Manimal
Starter
And1: 1,774

Post#33 » by Manimal » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:27 am

According to this thread, play-in games are substantially more stressful on a player's body than regular season and playoff games are. Learn something new everyday.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,555

Post#34 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
bushybrah_ wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

Yeah the real lesson here is the play-in provides an even bigger advantage for the top seeds.
Which is fine if that's what people want, but they already have a pretty big first-round advantage historically in a 7-game series.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#35 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 am

Manimal wrote:According to this thread, play-in games are substantially more stressful on a player's body than regular season and playoff games are. Learn something new everyday.

Nope. It’s not that at all.

But instead of being a higher seed and maybe being able to ride out a Butler absence, Miami is playing an elimination game to get into the playoffs and will be rewarded if they win with playing the team with the best record in the NBA.

They win more games in the regular season and they’re playing a team they might have a chance against in the first round without Butler.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,095

Post#36 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:43 am

Bulls are now in the playoffs
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,804

Post#37 » by beeshma » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 am

Tom Thibodeau is to blame.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,140

Post#38 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 am

I was really hoping Miami and Boston would beat the living crap out of each other.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,390

Post#39 » by GSP » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 am

Hope its nothing serious but Mcl is no joke. He should take his time and not return for at least a month Imo
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,608

Post#40 » by jbk1234 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 am

Blazing_royale wrote:He not young anymore

And he gets injured, historically, a lot. His injuries have been timely so people aren't shrugging their shoulders like they do with PG and Leonard, but the last season he played 65 games, he started the season in a Wolves uniform.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to The General Board