2024 Play-In Tournament (East): #8 Miami Heat vs #9 Chicago Bulls

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins and becomes the 8 seed?

Heat
36%
Bulls
64%

Total votes: 106

DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,044

Re: 2024 Play-In Tournament (East): #8 Miami Heat vs #9 Chicago Bulls 

Post#41 » by DBurks2818 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

3ddman23 wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:
knicksNOTslick wrote:Rooting for the Bulls because it seems like all the casual fans and the media overrate the Heat with all their culture talk and how they can just always turn it on in the playoffs. Doesn't always work.

The culture talk is a cliché at this point but it's true. There aren't a lot of organizations with the consistent structure and identity of the Heat over long term, it's basically just them and the Spurs. They definitely have an identifiably specific approach.

Them turning it on for the postseason is simply a fact, they've made the Finals as a #5 seed and a #8 seed in two of the last four seasons, and it's common knowledge that Jimmy Butler takes the RS less seriously.

That it doesn't always work is true, though, and as a Heat fan, I am pretty annoyed that we always play this "doesn't matter who the opponent is" angle to excuse not trying to get an advantage in the RS. Love Jimmy, but he does need to get his head out of his behind about this.

But to go along with that the heat also got beat down in 2021 by the bucks in the first round, lost to the younger Celtics in 2022 in the ecf as the #1 seed and have the potential to miss the playoffs here in 2024...

There two finals runs where cool, but there were under some pretty extreme circumstances. The bubble in 2020 was like a an aau tournament. Seeding didn't matter that year. There was no carry over from the real season, no fans, no real fatigue of an nba season. Any one could have made that finals if they played good ball at the right moment. It just happened to be miami ( and the Lakers).

2023 was on the back of some extreme hot shooting games. They had one of the best 3 point shooting performances in nba playoff history in some of those series. And That was off the back of being one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the regular season. All while nearly getting bounced in the play In by chicago. If thats not lighting in a bottle then I'm not sure what is.

Look miami without question has an identity they play hard, scrappy and spolstra is a great coach. But the heat culture thing and people thinking they can turn it on when ever they want in the playoffs and jhst waltz there way into an nba finals is extremely overblown.

In all, none of it has resulted in a championship. Which to heat fans and the organization, I assume is the end game.

This is kind of what I was getting at before: I'm just not sure why we're ignoring the other side of the coin when it comes to this team.

So 'anyone could have made the finals in 2020', but having the shortest off-season in NBA history doesn't impact getting whooped by the Bucks the next season? They have the best 3pt-shooting performance in the playoffs after being one of the worst teams in the regular season, but we conveniently forget that they were the best shooting 3-pt shooting team literally the season before? Does it not make sense that they never would've been an 8th seed had they not shot so uncharacteristically coldly during the season after being the best in the league?

Which is it?
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#42 » by NZB2323 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:58 pm

titlebound1 wrote:
DBurks2818 wrote:
titlebound1 wrote:
Comparing "heat culture" to what the spurs did is just hilarious. They made one real finals and one mickey mouse tournament finals. Nothing about that bubble playoffs was legitimate.

The reason why they're always competitive is pretty simple. They have a great coach. But that can only get you so far. They can't win a title with butler as their best player

This is silly. The Heat have made the finals just as many times the Spurs have and with just as any hall of famers.

The heat were able to sign LeBron James and Chris Bosh because they play in Miami. That's literally the only reason. The spurs drafted insanely well and built the franchise up from nothing and sustained it for nearly 20 years. They also played in a conference that was WAY more loaded. Who was Miami's biggest road block? The over the hill big 3 Celtics?

The two organizations are not comparable. One builds super stars and great role players. The other signs guys who want to hang out with Instagram models on the beach

The Spurs had the #1 draft pick for Robinson, Duncan, and Wemby.

The Heat got Wade with the 5th pick, Bam with the 14th pick, Herro with the 13th pick, and Caron Butler with the 10th pick. They’ve done a really good job drafting.

Also, the Heat have been built up from nothing as they were founded in 1988. The Spurs have been around since 1973.

One thing the organizations have in common is support for their coaches. If they have a disappointing year, their coach isn’t getting fired. Other franchises can’t say the same thing.

When the Heat lost in the 2011 Finals they didn’t fire their coach. When the 67 win Spurs lost in the second round, they didn’t fire their coach.

Also, the Heat made the Finals in 2023, 2020, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2006, and made it to the ECF in 1997, 2005, and 2022.

The Clippers have made it to the conference finals one time since 1971. The Magic also play in Florida and were founded around the same time as the Heat and have only made the finals twice, have 0 championships, and made the ECF in 1996. Every NBA star can hang out with IG models, no matter where they live.

Other expansion teams from the same era include the Timberwolves, who have made it out of the 1st round once and never to the Finals, as well as Charlotte, who has never made it to the conference finals.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by DBurks2818 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 pm

titlebound1 wrote:
DBurks2818 wrote:
titlebound1 wrote:
Comparing "heat culture" to what the spurs did is just hilarious. They made one real finals and one mickey mouse tournament finals. Nothing about that bubble playoffs was legitimate.

The reason why they're always competitive is pretty simple. They have a great coach. But that can only get you so far. They can't win a title with butler as their best player

This is silly. The Heat have made the finals just as many times the Spurs have and with just as any hall of famers.

The heat were able to sign LeBron James and Chris Bosh because they play in Miami. That's literally the only reason. The spurs drafted insanely well and built the franchise up from nothing and sustained it for nearly 20 years. They also played in a conference that was WAY more loaded. Who was Miami's biggest road block? The over the hill big 3 Celtics?

The two organizations are not comparable. One builds super stars and great role players. The other signs guys who want to hang out with Instagram models on the beach

Yeah, this is bizarrely-outdated. The last time the Heat signed a star player of note was about 12 years ago with Ray Allen, and you may count Lowry a couple of seasons ago (though he never played at a star-level for the team, under-performing his contract). Every other star has been acquired via trade (Dragic, Butler) or the draft (Bam, Herro). The team has also been the best in the NBA in developing role-players over the last decade (Duncan, Strus, Vincent, Martin, Highsmith, etc. etc.). The Spurs haven't been on their level for some time now.

And even before the big-3 (of which one was drafted by the Heat remember), only Shaq and Odom were of note after the Hardaway/Zo years. The 2006 title team was almost entirely traded for.
Clocian
RealGM
And1: 2,579

Post#44 » by Clocian » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm

vxmike wrote:Butler is out. The Bulls might actually luck into #8. They will get absolutely slaughtered by Boston!

Bulls are without Lonzo, Zach, PAW, Caruso, and other role players. I don't wanna hear nothing about luck
Damn I love Hip Hop!
turnaroundJ
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#45 » by turnaroundJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 pm

i guess the heat run is over. it was a good 4 years but no jimmy is too big of a loss.

can't root for the bulls though because of derozan. ramming a 22 year old kid and LARPing as a gangster in his post game conference. lol.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,791

Post#46 » by JustBuzzin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:17 pm

I just want to see Drummond in the playoffs. He's must see tv at this point.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,633

Post#47 » by 3ddman23 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 pm

DBurks2818 wrote:
3ddman23 wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:
The culture talk is a cliché at this point but it's true. There aren't a lot of organizations with the consistent structure and identity of the Heat over long term, it's basically just them and the Spurs. They definitely have an identifiably specific approach.

Them turning it on for the postseason is simply a fact, they've made the Finals as a #5 seed and a #8 seed in two of the last four seasons, and it's common knowledge that Jimmy Butler takes the RS less seriously.

That it doesn't always work is true, though, and as a Heat fan, I am pretty annoyed that we always play this "doesn't matter who the opponent is" angle to excuse not trying to get an advantage in the RS. Love Jimmy, but he does need to get his head out of his behind about this.

But to go along with that the heat also got beat down in 2021 by the bucks in the first round, lost to the younger Celtics in 2022 in the ecf as the #1 seed and have the potential to miss the playoffs here in 2024...

There two finals runs where cool, but there were under some pretty extreme circumstances. The bubble in 2020 was like a an aau tournament. Seeding didn't matter that year. There was no carry over from the real season, no fans, no real fatigue of an nba season. Any one could have made that finals if they played good ball at the right moment. It just happened to be miami ( and the Lakers).

2023 was on the back of some extreme hot shooting games. They had one of the best 3 point shooting performances in nba playoff history in some of those series. And That was off the back of being one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the regular season. All while nearly getting bounced in the play In by chicago. If thats not lighting in a bottle then I'm not sure what is.

Look miami without question has an identity they play hard, scrappy and spolstra is a great coach. But the heat culture thing and people thinking they can turn it on when ever they want in the playoffs and jhst waltz there way into an nba finals is extremely overblown.

In all, none of it has resulted in a championship. Which to heat fans and the organization, I assume is the end game.

This is kind of what I was getting at before: I'm just not sure why we're ignoring the other side of the coin when it comes to this team.

So 'anyone could have made the finals in 2020', but having the shortest off-season in NBA history doesn't impact getting whooped by the Bucks the next season? They have the best 3pt-shooting performance in the playoffs after being one of the worst teams in the regular season, but we conveniently forget that they were the best shooting 3-pt shooting team literally the season before? Does it not make sense that they never would've been an 8th seed had they not shot so uncharacteristically coldly during the season after being the best in the league?

Which is it?

I think it comes from the fact tat heat fans seem to always think they can turn it on when ever they want. It's not really like that. There is way more context then just saying playoff jimmy or heat turn it up when ever they want.

With how your putting it, would we be saying all this if they lost game 7 last year and let Boston came back from 3-0 deficit? This heat group would have been regarded completely diffrent. It's literally flip of the coin type of stuff.

The irrational confidence that the heat are just gonna Strom there way to the finals every year is just wild.
GO MAGIC
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,417

Post#48 » by Indomitable » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm

Bulls are going to come in unfocused and get down big.

Make a valiant comeback but lose on a DeRozan shot in the end.....

Pretty much the season.
:banghead:
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,196

Post#49 » by cgf » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:06 pm

Indomitable wrote:Bulls are going to come in unfocused and get down big.

Make a valiant comeback but lose on a DeRozan shot in the end.....

Pretty much the season.

...too real...
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach

Post#50 » by DBurks2818 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:11 pm

3ddman23 wrote:
DBurks2818 wrote:
3ddman23 wrote:

Which is it?

I think it comes from the fact tat heat fans seem to always think they can turn it on when ever they want. It's not really like that. There is way more context then just saying playoff jimmy or heat turn it up when ever they want.

With how your putting it, would we be saying all this if they lost game 7 last year and let Boston came back from 3-0 deficit? This heat group would have been regarded completely diffrent. It's literally flip of the coin type of stuff.

The irrational confidence that the heat are just gonna Strom there way to the finals every year is just wild.

To be fair, they've almost stormed their way to the finals 3 out of the last 4 years. I see your G7 2023 and raise you G7 2022.

But I don't necessarily disagree, just pointing out the inconsistencies in your (and many others') argument here.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,804

Post#51 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:31 pm

Sorry Heat fans.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#52 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,321

Post#53 » by Dirk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 pm

bisme37 wrote:Sorry Heat fans.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

You were all worried about facing Scary Terry, but Miami has no shot now.
60/21/10
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,506

Post#54 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He gets hurt every game and comes back to play the next when it matters. Dude is a gamer.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#55 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm

Dirk wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Sorry Heat fans.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

You were all worried about facing Scary Terry, but Miami has no shot now.

Half of me wanted to play the Heat and whoop their butt and atone for last year. But the other half of me didn't want to deal with that at all lol.

Will be tough for Miami to even make the playoffs now. I lean Bulls in this one with no Butler or Rozier.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#56 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:09 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Friday April 19, 7pm ET, ESPN

Spoiler:

Love these graphics, wish my photoshop skills were this good. Working with PS was a big part of my previous job, but I never learned to be this good, not even close.

Yeah I love the graphics from Basketball Forever. It says "Basketball Forever" or "BF" on the images so I don't usually credit them separately when I post a pic, but I should probably give them a little love since I use their stuff all the time.

https://twitter.com/bballforever_

https://www.instagram.com/basketballforever/

https://basketballforever.com/latest-news
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,423

Post#57 » by phanman » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:13 pm

bisme37 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Friday April 19, 7pm ET, ESPN

Spoiler:

Love these graphics, wish my photoshop skills were this good. Working with PS was a big part of my previous job, but I never learned to be this good, not even close.

Yeah I love the graphics from Basketball Forever. It says "Basketball Forever" or "BF" on the images so I don't usually credit them separately when I post a pic, but I should probably give them a little love since I use their stuff all the time.

Wow, I thought BF was some sort of weird abbreviation for bisme37 :lol:
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#58 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 pm

phanman wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Wow, I thought BF was some sort of weird abbreviation for bisme37 :lol:

Haha. My bad! I'm not nearly that good at photoshopping.

Sometimes I just get into to "must make threads and post information" mode and forget to credit my sources 100% of the time. I vow to improve!
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,422

Post#59 » by WestbrookGOATed » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:23 pm

Still picking Miami without Jimmy. The Bulls are not a good team.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,721

Post#60 » by azcatz11 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:34 pm

Is Duncan playing? The Heat played good without Jimmy earlier in the season. I’m not saying they were better without him but they moved the ball a lot better and Highsmith is underrated af.

I honestly think Herro doesn’t like playing with Jimmy.

Return to The General Board