Anybody else worried about Embiid continuing to struggle in the playoffs?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,932

Re: Anybody else worried about Embiid continuing to struggle in the playoffs? 

Post#41 » by bledredwine » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 pm

Every player who relies on free throws will be overrated due to regular season play
and will struggle when the playoffs strip some of this away.

I called it with Harden and CP3 long ago and assume that Embiid has this to a degree.
That said, I hope that he proves me wrong. I want as many top tier players as possible and he's
very talented.

But if I'm to be honest, my main worry is Doncic continuing to dominate and not having team success.
I want him to succeed quite badly.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,961

Post#42 » by meekrab » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:He is injured every year come April. Not an excuse. Just the truth. An unfortunate fact.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

When you're 6'11" and 280+ pounds and flop like a trout for 65 games a season that happens.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,641

Post#43 » by nomansland » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 pm

Lol, worried.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,300

Post#44 » by og15 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:25 pm

bledredwine wrote:Every player who relies on free throws will be overrated due to regular season play

I called it with Harden and CP3 long ago and assume that Embiid has this to a degree.
That said, I hope that he proves me wrong. I want as many top tier players as possible and he's
very talented.

But if I'm to be honest, my main worry is Doncic continuing to dominate and not having team success.

CP3 has never relied on FT's for his game, he does baiting and tricks, but those not working does nothing to limit his impact.

His biggest playoff issue is injury and size. Injury because he gets injured in like 60% of the playoffs he's played in, and size because he's limited in certain impacts due to size and generally didn't have teams with either a supporting star to make up that role or elite team defense to reduce the required offensive impact to win.

When he did (Houston) he got injured, which is par the course for him.

meekrab wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:He is injured every year come April. Not an excuse. Just the truth. An unfortunate fact.

When you're 6'11" and 280+ pounds and flop like a trout for 65 games a season that happens.

65 games? Well, maybe every other season.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,932

Post#45 » by bledredwine » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 pm

og15 wrote:
bledredwine wrote:Every player who relies on free throws will be overrated due to regular season play

very talented.

CP3 has never relied on FT's for his game, he does baiting and tricks, but those not working does nothing to limit his impact.

His biggest playoff issue is injury and size. Injury because he gets injured in like 60% of the playoffs he's played in, and size because he's limited in certain impacts due to size and generally didn't have teams with either a supporting star to make up that role or elite team defense to reduce the required offensive impact to win.

When he did (Houston) he got injured, which is par the course for him.

meekrab wrote:

65 games? Well, maybe every other season.

I disagree here. I think that CP3's biggest issue was that he just wasn't "that guy" when it came to scoring.
He was more of a Stockton type of player, which is still excellent.

But back in the day, RealGM treated him like he was a #1 option on a championship team. He never was IMO.
That's why I said he would never win a championship, and he didn't, even as a second option.

You're right- he didn't rely on baiting. But it was still a part of his game.

That said, CP3 struggled against other PG Allstars- there's a record of it against Chauncey and everyone he faced. It wasn't just size that was the issue. When you're touted to be a first option, you're going to be compared to Shaq, Jordan, Dirk, Lebron, Hakeem and everyone who could win as a first option. CP3 simply wasn't ever at that level.
At one point, RealGM was propping him up to be.

If he had their height and was also more athletic, then sure, it's possible. It is for Stockton, Iverson and other hypotheticals as well.

Paul had continuous struggles in the clutch. It was to the point that it was almost predictable.
I can't think of a reasonable excuse for it. He didn't have success as second option with Griffin or Harden either

Paul never scored twenty points per game after what, three or four years in the league? The hype never made sense to me. He's never racked up the stats or the wins of one of those first options. Low volume efficiency was his strength, which can also be a weakness when in times when teams need a bucket. Volume scoring is important.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,367

Post#46 » by tsherkin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:06 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:I'm worried, bigs don't have a great track record in the playoffs in the modern game. Embiid struggles, Jokic struggles, Sabonas, Ayton, list goes on.

Just wanted to circle back to this with a "in what universe that isnt this one was this accurate?"
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,080

Post#47 » by Woodsanity » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:18 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:I'm worried, bigs don't have a great track record in the playoffs in the modern game. Embiid struggles, Jokic struggles, Sabonas, Ayton, list goes on.

Jokic? Did you miss the playoff run last season? :lol: :lol:

NY2k1 wrote:

Jokic? Did you miss the playoff run last season? :lol: :lol:

dhsilv2 wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
I'm not ring counting here, just talking about level of play.

His box stats went from

PER 31.5 to 31.2
WS/48 0.299 0.305
BPM 13.0 12.8

IN what freaking world is that dropping off?

He's the career leader in playoff PER, second in box plus minus, and 4th in playoff WS/48

If he's dropping off everyone ever has.

Wow, why is everyone taking a random snippet of my post to argue? Yes, Jokic put up good stats, but they won because Murray stepped up and played like a second star. Without Murray Jokic doesn't win, and we saw that whenever Murray was out during the regular season over the past 3 years Jokic under performed, including this season. I never said Jokic or Embiid sucks, just that they have not yet shown the ability to single handedly carry a team in the post season.

Superstar missing his 2nd and 3rd player and playing with bums like Will Barton, Austin Rivers, Campazzo and Bones Hyland couldn't go far in the playoffs. You don't say?

Funny thing is Jokic with no Murray still made 2nd round which is Chokebiid's best result so far.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,348

Post#48 » by Hoop Hunter » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:06 pm

Nuntius wrote:
Dubious Handles wrote:Tbh i'm more curious whether he will play in the Olympics or not.

Personally, I'm not expecting him to play. He hasn't really played in any FIBA competition so far in his career, I doubt he starts now. He's 30 and already has problems staying healthy. He needs to rest over the summer if he wants any chance to prolong his career a bit and help the Sixers win a title.

I hope he doesn't. I don't want him on team USA. Don't like him, He'll ugly up the games. JMO

Return to The General Board