Finally, this is the year for Celtics

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,355

Re: Finally, this is the year for Celtics 

Post#61 » by tsherkin » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:50 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:Not only they are the best team in regular season by a mileā€¦. They are also relatively healthier than other teamsā€¦. This is their year

Veeeeery premature.

Possible, but very premature.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,773

Post#62 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm

ReddoverKobe wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
ReddoverKobe wrote:
Jrue is a much better defender.

Jrue is not guarding Embiid in the playoffs any time soon.

Nor is smart, so I have no idea why you would bring that up lol

Actually, Smart and Jrue have both guarded physical bigs at times for the Cs, I think including Embiid, thus letting Timelord or now Porzingis to "guard" a poor shooter and help away from him. (Timelord was probably better at the actually guarding part than Porzingis.)

Same idea as Grant Williams guarding Jokic, which worked great for a little while a couple of years ago.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,605

Post#63 » by dc » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:55 pm

myronbolitar wrote:One thing about this -- for some reason, people seem to forget that the Celtics were .500 well into that season, and the Warriors were favored in the Finals.

Largely because they had a much tough slog getting to the Finals than the Warriors, with their previous 2 series going 7 games and the Warriors having 3 more days of rest heading into Game 1 (which the Celts won).

Also, the Celts struggled the 1st half of the season due to missed games from injuries/COVID. Recall at one point they had to sign a 55 year old Joe Johnson to a 10 day contract to fill out the roster.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,773

Post#64 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 am

The Celtics' record vs. the Western conference was 23-7, or .767, which is a lot better than any Western team did against their own conference, or against the league overall.

It does happen to be the case, however, that 5 of those 7 losses came against the top 4 teams in the conference, including a sweep by Denver.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
SweaterBae
Rookie
And1: 1,689

Post#65 » by SweaterBae » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:16 am

At this point if I were a betting man I'd consider flipping from the field to the Celtics. It's hard to see even Denver taking them out, and hell the Nuggets have a battle just to make the finals again.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,850

Post#66 » by KamikazeK » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:19 am

myronbolitar wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:yes, this is their year
Tatum and Brown had their finals baptism and lost to an inferior, hugely successful and experienced yet aging and over the hill team

One thing about this -- for some reason, people seem to forget that the Celtics were .500 well into that season, and the Warriors were favored in the Finals.

Indeed, the whole "Celtics have had a stacked roster" thing is way overblown. This is the first time Jayson Tatum has ever been part of a 1-seed team. They've done well, but they've never been this unstoppable juggernaut like people claim.
dc
Head Coach

Post#67 » by dc » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 am

SweaterBae wrote:At this point if I were a betting man I'd consider flipping from the field to the Celtics. It's hard to see even Denver taking them out, and hell the Nuggets have a battle just to make the finals again.

It might depend on how easily the Nugz can get to the Finals. If they have these epic battles in the 2nd round/WCF that go the distance and they show up to the Finals worn out with Murray banged up, that's a huge factor.

The Celts for all intents and purposes, should wipe the mat with their opponents the first 3 rounds.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,399

Post#68 » by robbie84 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 am

myronbolitar wrote:
Tatum and Brown had their finals baptism and lost to an inferior, hugely successful and experienced yet aging and over the hill team

One thing about this -- for some reason, people seem to forget that the Celtics were .500 well into that season, and the Warriors were favored in the Finals.

Steph Curry also had an All time great level finals series in 2022. His shooting was like 43.4% from three on 10 attempts per game and that 43.4% INCLUDES a game where he went 0 from 9 from three lol.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
SweaterBae
Rookie
And1: 1,689

Post#69 » by SweaterBae » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 am

robbie84 wrote:
myronbolitar wrote:

Steph Curry also had an All time great level finals series in 2022. His shooting was like 43.4% from three on 10 attempts per game and that 43.4% INCLUDES a game where he went 0 from 9 from three lol.

Crazy
dc
Head Coach

Post#70 » by dc » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:43 am

robbie84 wrote:Steph Curry also had an All time great level finals series in 2022. His shooting was like 43.4% from three on 10 attempts per game and that 43.4% INCLUDES a game where he went 0 from 9 from three lol.

Yep, and that's with the Celts having DPOY Smart in the backcourt and being an elite defensive team overall. Steph's 0-9 from 3 in Game 5 was a pretty good opening for the Celts, but it was also the best all around game Wiggins played in the playoffs and probably in a Warrior uniform period, given the stakes.

I still can't get over Horford at that stage of his career shooting 62% from 3 in the Finals on 4 attempts a game. That's just a mere footnote as it is, but would've been a crazy stat if Curry doesn't have his epic game 4 and the Celts win the series.

ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,322

Post#71 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:46 am

I'm not crowning them champions until they actually win it.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,850

Post#72 » by KamikazeK » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:50 am

ChipotleWest wrote:I'm not crowning them champions until they actually win it.

Nobody asked
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,322

Post#73 » by ChipotleWest » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 am

KamikazeK wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:I'm not crowning them champions until they actually win it.

Nobody asked

I don't need you to ask for me to speak my mind. Your team hasn't done anything yet. Porzingis is a choker I have the receipts on that. You'll see.

This is a guy who was supposed to be a #1 guy in New York, traded for peanuts. Then he was asked to just be the #2 in Dallas, traded for peanuts. They traded him for Spencer Dimwiddie who got waived this season.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,913

Post#74 » by durden_tyler » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:55 am

Frank Dux wrote:It would be a pretty disastrous result if they donā€™t win it all this year. They should be able to sweep their way through the East with all those injuries.

It is... But at the same time, if it's the Denver Nuggets they are facing, that would be considered an even series so won't be as bad if say they lose to the Wolves, Thunder or Mavericks...
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 904

Post#75 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:00 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:Not only they are the best team in regular season by a mileā€¦. They are also relatively healthier than other teamsā€¦. This is their year

the Celtics have been the luckiest and healthiest team for years. Feels like every single year one or more of their playoff opponents is missing a key piece and the Celtics have been able to barely squeak by them. Whenever there's been a level playing field they have failed to make the Finals. This is bar far their most talented roster but already they're getting lucky with the Butler injury and Embiid hobbled. There's no excuse this year. Tatum has to get it done or he's going to be the next KD and Harden and will end up chasing rings by joining super teams.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,399

Post#76 » by robbie84 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:

the Celtics have been the luckiest and healthiest team for years. Feels like every single year one or more of their playoff opponents is missing a key piece and the Celtics have been able to barely squeak by them. Whenever there's been a level playing field they have failed to make the Finals. This is bar far their most talented roster but already they're getting lucky with the Butler injury and Embiid hobbled. There's no excuse this year. Tatum has to get it done or he's going to be the next KD and Harden and will end up chasing rings by joining super teams.

Tatum severely twisted his ankle against Miami last year dude, in game 7 nonetheless. Miami also shot a historical rate on jumpshots and threes. If anything, the Celtics have been unlucky in that their opponents have caught absolute fire over small sample sizes during conference finals (Heat) and finals series (Warriors).
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
donkki
Analyst
And1: 561

Post#77 » by donkki » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:21 am

I don't think the Celtics will just waltz their way to the Eastern conference title without any opposition. There is a lot of basketball to be played and lots of things can happen. One thing I think is sure: if they meet with the Knicks, it will be a tough, hard-fought series thay can go either way.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,292

Post#78 » by Frank Dux » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:23 am

durden_tyler wrote:
Frank Dux wrote:It would be a pretty disastrous result if they donā€™t win it all this year. They should be able to sweep their way through the East with all those injuries.

It is... But at the same time, if it's the Denver Nuggets they are facing, that would be considered an even series so won't be as bad if say they lose to the Wolves, Thunder or Mavericks...

Shhhhh, Iā€™m trying to jinx the Celtics.
dc
Head Coach

Post#79 » by dc » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:39 am

robbie84 wrote: If anything, the Celtics have been unlucky in that their opponents have caught absolute fire over small sample sizes during conference finals (Heat) and finals series (Warriors).

The Celts outshot the Warriors from 3 in 4 out of 6 games. Horford shot 62% from 3 on 4 attempts a game.

For as well as Wiggins played, the one thing he did poorly in the series was shooting the 3. Steph and Wiggins combined to go 0-15 from 3 in a pivotal game 5. That was a pretty good opening the Celts didn't take advantage of.

One_and_Done
Analyst
And1: 2,613

Post#80 » by One_and_Done » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 am

Butler getting hurt is a god send. It felt like the Heat would be a tough 1st round opponent for the Celtics.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.

Return to The General Board