Who in NBA history will win 1-on-1 in this halfcourt format?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who in NBA history will win 1-on-1 in this halfcourt format?

MJ
38%
Shaq
9%
LeBron
9%
Wilt
9%
Kareem
3%
Curry
3%
Joker
6%
Kobe
6%
Durant
12%
other (who?)
6%

Total votes: 34

advent11
Junior
And1: 378

Re: Who in NBA history will win 1-on-1 in this halfcourt format? 

Post#21 » by advent11 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 pm

Prime James Harden. The numbers say he's the most effective iso player in history. The numbers say he was also a very good post defender during this time.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,226

Post#22 » by KembaWalker » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:52 pm

IamBBAnalysis wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:With fouls, there’s no reason to pick a non-shooting big man. All you need is 1 stop, put a guy like Durant against Shaq, good luck.

Durant is getting buckets over any big man on here

Whoever said Shaq...no way. This is all running. A big man is going to tire real quick. You have to stay on guys like Curry and JOrdan like glue or its auto points. Probably Jordan because he doesn't get tired and he is the most versatile. Lukas too slow.

I’ll take Shaq who can cover the entire width of this court by spreading his arms over the guy who lost a 1v1 to an investment banker. Yall underrate size and athleticism. MJ feasted on smaller guards in his era
IamBBAnalysis
Rookie
And1: 524

Post#23 » by IamBBAnalysis » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:57 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
IamBBAnalysis wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:With fouls, there’s no reason to pick a non-shooting big man. All you need is 1 stop, put a guy like Durant against Shaq, good luck.

Durant is getting buckets over any big man on here

Whoever said Shaq...no way. This is all running. A big man is going to tire real quick. You have to stay on guys like Curry and JOrdan like glue or its auto points. Probably Jordan because he doesn't get tired and he is the most versatile. Lukas too slow.

I’ll take Shaq who can cover the entire width of this court by spreading his arms over the guy who lost a 1v1 to an investment banker. Yall underrate size and athleticism. MJ feasted on smaller guards in his era

That's a long way to travel from the three point line to the basket each time.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#24 » by bledredwine » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:17 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
bledredwine wrote:I don't see how it's not Jordan.
He basically specialized in being concise, efficient, playing through contact and hitting his free throws.
He's also the quintessential 1v1 dirty player since he played backyard hoops up to 12 hours a day growing up.

It wouldn't be Jordan because it's a tiny court. The more space there is to operate the bigger the advantage a guard can create over a big man, but in close quarters like this the size, strength, weight, and length advantages are too much to overcome.

That makes sense, but he’s blown by bigs in half court sets throughout his career. Wilt has his back towards the basket. I don’t see anyone stopping him… even Wilt. I also don’t see him stopping Wilt often.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,615

Post#25 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:27 pm

Gregoire wrote:with loser ball

This is key for me.

With winner's outs, I'd say that it's going to be dominated by brute force. If not by a true "big", at least someone LeBron's size. The reason being that it doesn't actually matter how many points you score so long as you can reliably score and thus keep possession of the ball.

With loser's outs, a good enough 3-point shooter should theoretically take it. I'm not sure if even Curry is good enough to do this given his vulnerability to being bullied, but I will say that it really helps that 3-point misses tend to bounce all over the place which can help a fast little get more boards than you might expect against a slow big.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
bballcool34
General Manager
And1: 614

Post#26 » by bballcool34 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:31 pm

1s and 2s heavily favor three point shooters
Damn
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#27 » by Lalouie » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 pm

bledredwine wrote:
Lalouie wrote:in a 1on1. wilt will blow everyone out

1on1 is strictly mano-a-mano. athleticism vs athleticism with no distractions or focus other than the dude 4' in front of you. consider this ,,,plenty of mediocre players play a disruptive blue collar defense because all they do is get in a player's shorts. they only have dedication and focus = beverly is an example

wilt being THE athlete of the 20th century will eat everyone for breakfast and have them wimpering

Wilt is a great choice. He would be my second answer if I had one.

But consider that there are only 10 seconds, he can't goal tend and shoots 50 percent from the line.
That would be the weakness there. Defensively, he's a monster. Inside, he's a monster.

But could he really stop Jordan's tricky acrobatics? No one had- Jordan faced many centers through quickness and directional shifts, though none quite like Wilt.
I'd love to see it.

On the other end, how the hell is Jordan stopping Wilt? He'd have to position himself for charges and try to steal the ball. Of course, if he fouls him, Wilt has to hit his free throws as well. It's a hard match up for both players, which is why it'd probably be the most entertaining matchup.

in a 1on1, wilt will adjust during the game. mj played over centers IN SPOT MOMENTS of a game that came during game play and all it's machinations. players have many chores and concerns in a game. in 1on1 there is only one aim, one chore,,, the dude in front of you

Similarly wilt's scoring goals are similarly simple
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 580

Post#28 » by Gregoire » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:59 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Gregoire wrote:with loser ball

This is key for me.

With winner's outs, I'd say that it's going to be dominated by brute force. If not by a true "big", at least someone LeBron's size. The reason being that it doesn't actually matter how many points you score so long as you can reliably score and thus keep possession of the ball.

With loser's outs, a good enough 3-point shooter should theoretically take it. I'm not sure if even Curry is good enough to do this given his vulnerability to being bullied, but I will say that it really helps that 3-point misses tend to bounce all over the place which can help a fast little get more boards than you might expect against a slow big.

Yes, almost all 1-1 formats which I watched semi-officials in Russia are "losers ball". But... with there liberal rules and officiating, with FTs, with 1 and 2, when you could guard ans strip player on his way not only in, but out (for clearing the ball after make), with 10 sec shot-clock...
IMO favorites all-time are: Durant, Jordan, Kobe, Curry, Harden, Luka, Hakeem. Jordan and Kobe just have mentality edge in 1-on-1. Jordan also had stamina edge and guys like Hakeem, Jordan or Jokic would IMO take most hustle 50\50 balls, here its important.

This video is basically lesser Curry (185 sm) vs lesser LeBron (200 sm) and "Curry" easily won just on 3s. Watch it.
;t=1371s
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them.
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
Gregoire
Analyst

Post#29 » by Gregoire » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:00 am

og15 wrote:This is hard to know who would do the best in this to be real, I guess I would need to watch more of it to see how strategies play out and what playstyle or body type looks most effective, but I can't spend that time.

KembaWalker wrote:Young Shaq would just steamroll whoever you put in front of him to free points and this tiny court would make it hard to get around him or tire him out

How's he going to steamroll through Wilt though?

These are the best of it, watch.

;t=854s

Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them.
falcolombardi wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
Gregoire
Analyst

Post#30 » by Gregoire » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 am

Harry Garris wrote:
bledredwine wrote:I don't see how it's not Jordan.
He basically specialized in being concise, efficient, playing through contact and hitting his free throws.
He's also the quintessential 1v1 dirty player since he played backyard hoops up to 12 hours a day growing up.

It wouldn't be Jordan because it's a tiny court. The more space there is to operate the bigger the advantage a guard can create over a big man, but in close quarters like this the size, strength, weight, and length advantages are too much to overcome.

Watch the video: actually FTs, reffing, a lot of situations,when the ball could be stolen, 1 and 2s, 10 sec shot-clock to clear the ball and make bucket made this very unfavorable to bigs without shooting. Hakeem, Joker, Garnett have a chance. Kareem maybe (he is average good FT shooter), but not Shaq or Wilt.
Heej wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,250

Post#31 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

According too Kobe; No one would beat him, In a 1on1, but he also stated Kevin Durant gave him hard time, so I'm going with KD
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
dans1230
Rookie
And1: 1,166

Post#32 » by dans1230 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:26 am

KembaWalker wrote:
Wigginstime wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
Did you watch the video? Not a lot of space to get 3 point shot off over young Shaq on that court. I mean maybe Durant could do it but your whole strat would have to be instant pull up 3

I did watch the video. Half the shots were step back 3s. I'm confident Luka could get step back 3s off Shaq all day long or simply blow by him if Shaq tried to get right up in his face. . 1s and 2s scoring system is way to advantageous to a great 3pt shooter like Luka.

Luka isn’t getting around or blowing by young Shaq on that tiny court and even if he somehow did he would still get blocked

The 10 second shot clock and needing to clear the ball would be the reason Shaq would struggle. All his energy would be used doing that, hed have nothing in the tank for defense.
Id take Durant with his ability to score from anywhere on the court and his length to defend. That 10 second shot clock will cause alot of tough shots, thats ideal to Durants game.
Gregoire
Analyst

Post#33 » by Gregoire » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:26 am

Also some interesting contenders here:

peak K.Leonard, peak Petrovich, peak Embiid, peal Bird, peak T-Mac
Heej wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
AEnigma wrote:
Gregoire
Analyst

Post#34 » by Gregoire » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm

Heej wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
AEnigma wrote:

Return to The General Board