2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Miami Heat (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Celtics in 4
36%
Celtics in 5
33%
Celtics in 6
9%
Celtics in 7
2%
Heat in 4
3%
Heat in 5
2%
Heat in 6
6%
Heat in 7
9%

Total votes: 233

___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,927

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Miami Heat (BOS Leads 1-0) 

Post#1401 » by ___Rand___ » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:20 pm

Ssj16 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Is that what it was? I don't recall. Houston seems farther ahead in their development but of course injuries really derailed your season. Still, I think roles are more defined in Houston. Maybe that was a factor. I don't know if it was a case of TO backing out/cooling on him or his choosing the situation. Sometimes it also boils down to/factored by the feel of either side for the other.

I thought TO would go for Jordi given his success at the WC with Team Canada. I thought they should have gone with him, but that's also not really knowing much about your current coach.

Yup. Canada is pretty sensitive about women's rights and standings so him coming over would have been a huge scandal. Masai was asked about Udoka at a press conference and what I remember was his facial expression more than his words - one of shrugging his shoulders and resignation - and he said something like "it's not the right time" or something to that effect. They did interview him days after Nurse was let go, before weeks Udoka was hired by Houston.

Udoka made this remark about "not taking a job with a team that had 2nd round ceiling" referring to Raptors at the intro press conference in Houston.

Houston isn't further in their development than Raptors - at the start of the season Raptors had OG, Siakam, and Scottie along with Schroeder and Poeltl. That's 2 African stars, 1 all-NBA player, 1 DPOY candidate, a ROY. That roster's better than Houston. That's a stiff defensive team, the kind Udoka likes to coach. OG Siakam Scottie Poeltl are excellent defenders. Long athletic team. Schroeder is an ok guard defender. Our problem was lack of consistent guard play. We only had one shooter - Gary Trent Jr - who's wildly inconsistent. Gradey Dick's a rookie and it took him most of the season to find his footing. Darko was NOT ready to coach an NBA team and just fumbled the first 1/3rd of the season. That's when Masai blew it up. Udoka wold've won more with that roster - in ugly defensive brawls, but still wining.

At the start of the season outside of Segun and Smith who else did they have? just Fred and Brooks. Segun is undersized for a center. Smith is still underwhelming so far for a top 3 pick - OG is better than Smith as a 3&D guy. a TON better. Poeltl is better defensively than Segun. Pascal has no comp on Rockets. Fred is better than Dennis but Dennis is a bit better to defend small guards.

By the time Jordi got the Canada job he's already been interviewed and passed over, and Raptors had already picked Darko without naming him yet.

Is there a source for this? Like the other poster mentioned, I thought Udoka ultimately went with Houston because he saw more upside in the roster.

There was plenty of reporting around the time Nurse got fired and our hiring process. Udoka was interviewed along with 30 other candidates Raptors looked at. He was out pretty early. Nobody wrote a big article "Udoka rejected" because it was a nothing burger - there were other 29 candidates who were rejected along the way. Raptors' reference was the only one Udoka made at the Houston intro press conference. You can look that up. Why would he make a reference to another team at an intro to a new gig if he wasn't sour about a missed opportunity?
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Miami Heat (BOS Leads 1-0) 

Post#1402 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:So don't watch.

Is it really that hard to quote me?

Depends on whether your on your meds or not.
___Rand___
General Manager
And1: 9,927

Post#1403 » by ___Rand___ » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
G R E Y wrote:Is that what it was? I don't recall. Houston seems farther ahead in their development but of course injuries really derailed your season. Still, I think roles are more defined in Houston. Maybe that was a factor. I don't know if it was a case of TO backing out/cooling on him or his choosing the situation. Sometimes it also boils down to/factored by the feel of either side for the other.

I thought TO would go for Jordi given his success at the WC with Team Canada. I thought they should have gone with him, but that's also not really knowing much about your current coach.

Yup. Canada is pretty sensitive about women's rights and standings so him coming over would have been a huge scandal. Masai was asked about Udoka at a press conference and what I remember was his facial expression more than his words - one of shrugging his shoulders and resignation - and he said something like "it's not the right time" or something to that effect. They did interview him days after Nurse was let go, before weeks Udoka was hired by Houston.

Udoka made this remark about "not taking a job with a team that had 2nd round ceiling" referring to Raptors at the intro press conference in Houston.

Houston isn't further in their development than Raptors - at the start of the season Raptors had OG, Siakam, and Scottie along with Schroeder and Poeltl. That's 2 African stars, 1 all-NBA player, 1 DPOY candidate, a ROY. That roster's better than Houston. That's a stiff defensive team, the kind Udoka likes to coach. OG Siakam Scottie Poeltl are excellent defenders. Long athletic team. Schroeder is an ok guard defender. Our problem was lack of consistent guard play. We only had one shooter - Gary Trent Jr - who's wildly inconsistent. Gradey Dick's a rookie and it took him most of the season to find his footing. Darko was NOT ready to coach an NBA team and just fumbled the first 1/3rd of the season. That's when Masai blew it up. Udoka wold've won more with that roster - in ugly defensive brawls, but still wining.

At the start of the season outside of Segun and Smith who else did they have? just Fred and Brooks. Segun is undersized for a center. Smith is still underwhelming so far for a top 3 pick - OG is better than Smith as a 3&D guy. a TON better. Poeltl is better defensively than Segun. Pascal has no comp on Rockets. Fred is better than Dennis but Dennis is a bit better to defend small guards.

By the time Jordi got the Canada job he's already been interviewed and passed over, and Raptors had already picked Darko without naming him yet.

I think he was genuine about Houston being his first choice. Rockets had more young high end talent than Raptors and it was something he could build as appose to taking over for another good coach who had just hit a ceiling with a bunch of veterans. Pretty easy choice imo.

But isn't it interesting he's referring to another team with whom he interviewed and got passed over at the intro press conference to a team he's taking over? It's kinda like talking about an ex who jilted you at your wedding.
Rancid669
Sophomore
And1: 269

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Miami Heat (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1404 » by Rancid669 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Celtics played bad and the heat played about as perfect of a game as they could.

That wont happen again.

Heat stole one, be thankfull, you will be dominated the rest of the way out.

You sound like some nerd angrily sitting behind his computer while twirling his mustache and vowing revenge on the world that has shunned him.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,578

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Miami Heat (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1405 » by drekwins » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 pm

Spolestra >>>>>>> Mazzulla

I have never seen a coach get exposed like Mazz when he faces Spo. It's criminal that he is leading such a talented roster. He should not be given the keys to the Ferrari. Mazz is not worthy. There are much better coaching options out there.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,258

Post#1406 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Celtics played bad and the heat played about as perfect of a game as they could.

That wont happen again.

This is why they play the games. Miami wasn't supposed to get even one without Jimmy. Yet, they stole homecourt advantage from the Celtics.

Another poster said Miami's roster is built differently. That poster was correct. They believe they can beat the Celtics without Jimmy and Rozier. Whether they can or not is a different story, but last night only bolstered that belief.

Sent from my F91 5G using Tapatalk
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,920

Post#1407 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 pm

BBallFreak wrote:

That wont happen again.

This is why they play the games. Miami wasn't supposed to get even one without Jimmy. Yet, they stole homecourt advantage from the Celtics.

Another poster said Miami's roster is built differently. That poster was correct. They believe they can beat the Celtics without Jimmy and Rozier. Whether they can or not is a different story, but last night only bolstered that belief.

And the next 3 games will prove they couldnt
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,289

Post#1408 » by BigShot Bojan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:00 pm

Rancid669 wrote:

That wont happen again.

You sound like some nerd angrily sitting behind his computer while twirling his mustache and vowing revenge on the world that has shunned him.

Not sure he sounds angry, just sounds like run of the mill smack talk...
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1409 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:04 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

That wont happen again.

Again, this is why we play the games. Miami isn't afraid, they have momentum and confidence, and in order to win, the Celtics need to fight through. I believe they will, but it wouldn't shock me to see Miami make this one he'll of a series.

drekwins
Head Coach

Post#1410 » by drekwins » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm

batterybro42 wrote:Tons of pressure on Boston here in game 3, things can get really out of control if they lose it. You'll have Tyler Herro out there thinking he is prime Reggie Miller, and Hayward Highsmith playing like Scottie Pippen. Miami can get hot in a hurry under these circumstances, don't play with fire.

It all speaks to how well constructed this Heat team is, and how much casuals don't understand it. This was Miami without its top two scoring options, against a 64 win Celtics team. Miami has been and will continue to be a team that is built for the real basketball of the postseason, that tangibly uses the regular season to prepare themselves for when SHTF in the playoffs.

If the NBA didn't come together to prevent Dame going to Miami the entire East would be cooked right now

The karma of this situation can swing drastically fast. Although we don't like talking about injuries, someone like KP is infinitely more likely to get injured as the number of playoff games increases. Boston really needs to try and win as quickly as possible. Once momentum swings, things can change really fast health, rhythm and confidence wise.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,610

Post#1411 » by Harry Garris » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm

drekwins wrote:Spolestra >>>>>>> Mazzulla

I have never seen a coach get exposed like Mazz when he faces Spo. It's criminal that he is leading such a talented roster. He should not be given the keys to the Ferrari. Mazz is not worthy. There are much better coaching options out there.

I’m not so sure… I think anyone the Celtics hired could look bad in comparison to Spo. He’s the best coach in the NBA.

Also, Joe Mazzula got this team to really buy in to his vision and play hard for him. Not the easiest thing to do. Especially not with this particular Celtics team, Brad Stevens struggled greatly to motivate them at times.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,800

Post#1412 » by azcatz11 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:This is why they play the games. Miami wasn't supposed to get even one without Jimmy. Yet, they stole homecourt advantage from the Celtics.

Again, this is why we play the games. Miami isn't afraid, they have momentum and confidence, and in order to win, the Celtics need to fight through. I believe they will, but it wouldn't shock me to see Miami make this one he'll of a series.

I don't know...at some point you have to think the Heat are doing something other than 'getting lucky' as this is the second year in a row they are giving the C's problems. Maybe it's a huge coincidence. Were the Celtics lucky Game 1 to shoot 45% from the 3? Why is one team lucky and the other team isn't?
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,052

Post#1413 » by Drakeem » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:20 pm

This has to be embarrassing for the Celtics. Make all the excuses you want, this is the 8th seed with their best player out and one of their other best scorers out and you lose on your home court.

This Boston team ain't winning it all. If Spo's schemes and coaching is enough to steal a game on their home floor, what do they do with someone like Jokic who can game plan on the fly against them? This left a sour taste in my mouth for this team.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
iamoti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,447

Post#1414 » by iamoti » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:23 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

I don't know...at some point you have to think the Heat are doing something other than 'getting lucky' as this is the second year in a row they are giving the C's problems. Maybe it's a huge coincidence. Were the Celtics lucky Game 1 to shoot 45% from the 3? Why is one team lucky and the other team isn't?
Because the Celtics are talented enough to shoot high % from 3 and we aren't. Thats the narrative. How dare our not so talented players fluke their way to a win. Celtics wins the next 3 on talent alone!

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using RealGM mobile app
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1415 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:24 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

Mental makeup and coaching are a real thing. These players aren't afraid and they certainly buy into what Spo is selling. People underestimate Miami's actual talent levels, too. Bam and Herro are legit, and Martin and Jaquez are dangerous.

And you have to consider that Miami isn't playing small anymore, either. Jovic isn't a world beater but he's a decent player who compliments Bam quite nicely. He has the potential to get better, as well.

In the end though, I do believe Boston will win in a gentleman's sweep. I just wouldn't be particularly shocked if Miami managed another win...

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,966

Post#1416 » by KingDavid » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
batterybro42 wrote:Tons of pressure on Boston here in game 3, things can get really out of control if they lose it. You'll have Tyler Herro out there thinking he is prime Reggie Miller, and Hayward Highsmith playing like Scottie Pippen. Miami can get hot in a hurry under these circumstances, don't play with fire.

It all speaks to how well constructed this Heat team is, and how much casuals don't understand it. This was Miami without its top two scoring options, against a 64 win Celtics team. Miami has been and will continue to be a team that is built for the real basketball of the postseason, that tangibly uses the regular season to prepare themselves for when SHTF in the playoffs.

If the NBA didn't come together to prevent Dame going to Miami the entire East would be cooked right now

Can we please stop with this BS narrative about the NBA preventing Dame coming here. We had a trash offer and Pat thought he was in a position of power so he had no inclination to negotiate in good faith.

Pdx had no interest in ANY of our assets except for Bam. Dame's agent tried to play hardball without leverage and it backfired. Cronin didn't want to trade Dame where he wanted to go after that. The league rallied around them to not be pressured into taking a package they didn't want. This has little to do with Riley and more to do with seemingly worthless assets.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 685

Post#1417 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:01 pm

Did anyone else find it odd when Jalen Brown said in his post game interview something like “guys that we want shooting the ball were hitting their shots” referring to the Heat making threes. It was as if there were certain guys they decided not to guard and got burned. Not sure who they’re referring to but everyone who hit threes last night for the Heat are good three point shooters.
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#1418 » by drekwins » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
drekwins wrote:Spolestra >>>>>>> Mazzulla

I’m not so sure… I think anyone the Celtics hired could look bad in comparison to Spo. He’s the best coach in the NBA.

Also, Joe Mazzula got this team to really buy in to his vision and play hard for him. Not the easiest thing to do. Especially not with this particular Celtics team, Brad Stevens struggled greatly to motivate them at times.

There are some smart coaches out there. Carlisle, Lue, Pop, Malone.. I love Chris Finch (ever since he blasted his team for playing immature basketball).

Mazz understands shot distribution.. which is such elementary understanding of what's happening. I dont think he knows what hes looking at, from an Xs and Os standpoint, in real time. I dont think he knows how to make impactful adjustments schematically because he has no recognition of what's going on from the other teams perspective.

I think someone like a JVG, Stan, etc. could absolutely make the right adjustments... I even think someone like Kenny Atkinson would be a major upgrade.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,436

Post#1419 » by CoP » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 pm

Update.

Heat on wide open 3s during the RS: 41.3%. Last night: 65.2%
Heat on open 3s during the RS: 34.5%. Last night: 42.9%
Heat on open or wide open 3s during the RS: 38.2%. Last night: 56.8%

Percentage of all Heat 3PAs during the RS that are open or wide open: 86.5%
Percentage of all Celtics defense 3PAs allowed during the RS that are open or wide open: 87.7%
Percentage of Heat 3PAs last night that were open or wide open: 86%

So the Celtics were not leaving Heat shooters more open for 3s than they normally do, and the Heat shooters were not getting more open than they normally do. The Heat shooters were just...hot.

Another point to consider: The Heat have not had 23 or more 3PM in a game all season, regular season or playoffs. And they've only had 2 such games in the last 10 years, both of which were in the regular season.

This is not to say it can't happen again. It might, but I seriously doubt it will. I could see the Heat winning in some other manner, like Adebayo going off and the Celtics being ice cold from 3. But the game last night was unusual in how much the Heat punched above their weight from 3 at high volume.

On to Game 3, I knew this series would be a battle. The Heat never give up.
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#1420 » by drekwins » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:11 pm

LeBronSpaghetti wrote:Did anyone else find it odd when Jalen Brown said in his post game interview something like “guys that we want shooting the ball were hitting their shots” referring to the Heat making threes. It was as if there were certain guys they decided not to guard and got burned. Not sure who they’re referring to but everyone who hit threes last night for the Heat are good three point shooters.

Well, yeah. Every defensive scheme has holes that can be exploited. There is no fool-proof system, assuming that everyone is of similar skill and athleticism. The goal of the defense is to create discomfort and funnel the ball to disadvantageous spots. That often means funneling the ball to low percentage shooters at the end of the shot clock... or funneling the dribble-drive directly into your shot blockers path... or forcing a team to go one-on-one/iso.

There is no "stopping" NBA talents. You just play the percentages, limit the team to one shot, etc.

Return to The General Board