2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Miami Heat (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Celtics in 4
36%
Celtics in 5
33%
Celtics in 6
9%
Celtics in 7
2%
Heat in 4
3%
Heat in 5
2%
Heat in 6
6%
Heat in 7
9%

Total votes: 233

Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,665

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Miami Heat (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1421 » by Harry Garris » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:17 pm

drekwins wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
drekwins wrote:Spolestra >>>>>>> Mazzulla

I have never seen a coach get exposed like Mazz when he faces Spo. It's criminal that he is leading such a talented roster. He should not be given the keys to the Ferrari. Mazz is not worthy. There are much better coaching options out there.

I’m not so sure… I think anyone the Celtics hired could look bad in comparison to Spo. He’s the best coach in the NBA.

Also, Joe Mazzula got this team to really buy in to his vision and play hard for him. Not the easiest thing to do. Especially not with this particular Celtics team, Brad Stevens struggled greatly to motivate them at times.

There are some smart coaches out there. Carlisle, Lue, Pop, Malone.. I love Chris Finch (ever since he blasted his team for playing immature basketball).

He understands shot distribution.. which is such elementary understanding of what's happening. I dont think he knows what hes looking at, from an Xs and Os standpoint, in real time. I dont think he knows how to make impactful adjustments schematically because he has no recognition of what's going on from the other teams perspective.

I think someone like a JVG, Stan, etc. could absolutely make the right adjustments... I even think someone like Kenny Atkinson would be a major upgrade.

Yeah I just think you're not noticing some of the adjustments the Celtics make. They do make defensive personnel adjustments, move around matchups, switch sometimes and not other times. They do target weak defenders and attack them. They do the same basic stuff that every competent NBA team does.

You're also trying to make a huge deal out of a game in which one team shot 53% from 3 and the other shot 32%. That isn't so much about adjustments, that's guys making shots. The Heat weren't attacking the Celtics defense in such a way to get a ton of wide open shooters, they had ok looks, but it was mostly through a lot of really high level shot making.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,583

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - East 1st Round: #1 Boston Celtics vs. #8 Miami Heat (Series tied 1-1) 

Post#1422 » by drekwins » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
drekwins wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
I’m not so sure… I think anyone the Celtics hired could look bad in comparison to Spo. He’s the best coach in the NBA.

Also, Joe Mazzula got this team to really buy in to his vision and play hard for him. Not the easiest thing to do. Especially not with this particular Celtics team, Brad Stevens struggled greatly to motivate them at times.

There are some smart coaches out there. Carlisle, Lue, Pop, Malone.. I love Chris Finch (ever since he blasted his team for playing immature basketball).

He understands shot distribution.. which is such elementary understanding of what's happening. I dont think he knows what hes looking at, from an Xs and Os standpoint, in real time. I dont think he knows how to make impactful adjustments schematically because he has no recognition of what's going on from the other teams perspective.

I think someone like a JVG, Stan, etc. could absolutely make the right adjustments... I even think someone like Kenny Atkinson would be a major upgrade.

Yeah I just think you're not noticing some of the adjustments the Celtics make. They do make defensive personnel adjustments, move around matchups, switch sometimes and not other times. They do target weak defenders and attack them. They do the same basic stuff that every competent NBA team does.

You're also trying to make a huge deal out of a game in which one team shot 53% from 3 and the other shot 32%. That isn't so much about adjustments, that's guys making shots. The Heat weren't attacking the Celtics defense in such a way to get a ton of wide open shooters, they had ok looks, but it was mostly through a lot of really high level shot making.

Personnel adjustments are much different than schematic adjustments. Mazz has made personnel adjustments.. and to me, that further shows how little he knows what's going on. He's just throwing something else out there... but, the personnel is not the issue.

Also, when you have the expectations that 'Boston does, regular season stuff does not matter. The playoffs are an entirely different animal. It is all about adjustments and schemes.
al bondiga
Starter
And1: 2,813

Post#1423 » by al bondiga » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 pm

Drakeem wrote:This has to be embarrassing for the Celtics. Make all the excuses you want, this is the 8th seed with their best player out and one of their other best scorers out and you lose on your home court.

This Boston team ain't winning it all. If Spo's schemes and coaching is enough to steal a game on their home floor, what do they do with someone like Jokic who can game plan on the fly against them? This left a sour taste in my mouth for this team.
There is no question that this celtics team Has more than enough talent to own a couple of champ. or even more, But it's gonna be very difficult for them given the one little mistake they made... Mentalizing themselves
Like there where Hoodlums with the birthright to win it all, Unfortunately for him smart let them in this category...

This mentality won't go away easily and you could see it in the way Tatum was frustrated last night... He should be one of the finest NBA prodigies in history... Instead, he is destroyed by our defense.

ok, We have a great D... but Come on! this is Tatum and a great Celtic team playing at home and with everything going for them
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,824

Post#1424 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

I just knew the Heat fan base would act like like they figured it out.

They have to play a perfect game just to barely win.

Good luck holding KP down all series. Good luck keeping the Celtics from hitting their 3s all series.

Ain't happening
Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,975

Post#1425 » by Eagle4 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:33 pm

The Corey's wrote:I just knew the Heat fan base would act like like they figured it out.

Good luck holding KP down all series. Good luck keeping the Celtics from hitting their 3s all series.

Ain't happening

You were one of the ones calling sweep by 20. You lost to a team missing two of their best players while having an all time stacked roster, hush.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#1426 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:36 pm

Eagle4 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:I just knew the Heat fan base would act like like they figured it out.

Ain't happening

You were one of the ones calling sweep by 20. You lost to a team missing two of their best players while having an all time stacked roster, hush.

I always find it interesting when people think adding missing pieces changes anything.

With Butler taking his 30 shots, how many of them come out of the pocket of someone who already scored?

Heat ain't ****. Got no chance and it feels so good to live in their head.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,161

Post#1427 » by duppyy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:39 pm

Ain't happening

Injuries will hold down KP eventually.
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,689

Post#1428 » by Fantaxp7 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pm

I just remembered last year when each game the Heat seemed to him a record amount of threes and thinking...well they can't repeat that...then they did...

Then they seemed to forget how to shoot in the finals. It was devastating.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#1429 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pm

duppyy wrote:

Ain't happening

Injuries will hold down KP eventually.

And Derek White won't be missing all playoffs.

White and Jrue have been a shell of them self so far. It's not going to continue.

Heat play hard defense. They have the best coach in the league. No one is shocked they stole a win from bubble gum do nothing sit with his hands in his ass Joe.

They won't be winning the series. It's impossible.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,273

Post#1430 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:42 pm

Ain't happening

Couple of things;

First, if Heat fans are swagging right now, it's because you've been doing it since before the series started. If you can't stand the HEAT get out of the kitchen.

Second, you hit 37.5% from downtown in game two. That's 1.3% off of your regular season average. That's well within the statistical mean. In other words, you did hit your threes.

Finally, as for Porzingis, we have one of the best defenders in the game working on him. I'm not saying Bam can keep him in check every game, but Miami has a better chance than most.

Sent from my F91 5G using Tapatalk
ChipotleWest
Analyst
And1: 2,763

Post#1431 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:51 pm

Are Porzingis and Holiday going to show up on the road? Because outside of Porzingis in Game 1 neither did at home. They can't win if both are shooting terribly, they can probably win if just one gets theirs.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,955

Post#1432 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 pm

Ain't happening

You can't fault a fan base from getting a big high off a win everyone said we weren't going to get.

Here's my take, I don't expect Miami to shot 50% again in this series although the stats show Miami has done it now 4 times against Boston in the Playoffs in the last couple series weve had against each other. Still the odds say those margins are hard to replicate, I do expect Miami to shot over 40% at least a couple times, they tend to shoot very well in the playoffs its a thing with this team.

On the coaching side of things, I don't think Spo is looking at this game saying that it took a perfect game, The game plan will to continue to shoot at the pace they did tonight, that's always going to give them a better chance just based on math as an equation, I think what Spo takes from the game if anything is they held Boston to 101 points, which vs Miami that's kind of where they want to hold opponents is there 95-105 is the sweet spot for them. Spo will always look to win the defensive matchup first and worry about offense as something that they can focus on as the game progresses.

Miami is heavily under maned in this series, their only play book is to just play solid efficient basketball and make things uncomfortable. Boston should win this series from all metrics regardless. The only way I see Boston losing this is don't adjust or adjust incorrectly to Miami's funky playstyle.

What Miami will count on is this, play hard enough to keep the games close, whether their up by a couple of points or under by a couple points. Then as the game gets into the clutch moments, try and be more aggressive, kind of the last sprint to the finish line, and hope that its just a bit harder than what Boston does. This means also being poised, not committing turn overs, forcing turnovers, and being comfortable in being uncomfortable. A lot of this is mostly on the coaching to be honest, but they still have very valuable pieces, in Herro, Bam, Caleb and young hungry players trying to shown their worth in Jaime Jaquez and Nikola Jovic who are getting their first ever Playoff experience. A solid bench in Highsmith, Love, Wright, Duncan so Spo has at a minimun solid pieces to put enough pressure on his gameplan from an execution point of view. At the end of the day players hit shots or miss them, thats the biggest part of the pie.

I don't believe KP will go 1-9 again, I think he was caught of guard a bit with Miami changing how they defended him, in the game, they forced him to pass out a lot I thought almost like they ran some decoy defense making him think that passing was better and got him to commit some turnovers, he hesitated a lot waiting for the double to show, but it never came I think that through his shot off a bit. Bam going at him early getting him into foul trouble also made him a bit timid. I think hell adjust to that seeing what Miami did hell be far more assertive in game 3.

You can tell Boston has a very large arsenal in shooting capabilities, when they decide to get it going to close scoring droughts in a flash and can overwhelm Miami really quickly, I think if they time when those spurts to happen like they did in game one it would be to difficult for Miami to get back into the game even if they have an amazing 4th quarter.

Again the advantage here is and will continue to be Boston no matter what happens, Miami is not playing from any advantage point their playing with house money so in essence their playing a bit free-er. Miami is the team in the end that will be making most of the adjustments at every turn using everything they can to will their way to anything positive that can help them win. Boston just has to remember what made them the juggernaut during the regular season and it should close this out accordingly.
ChipotleWest
Analyst

Post#1433 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:23 pm

Paul Pierce was a no show on Undisputed today, he was scheduled. Had some thing with his kid apparently. Weird timing. :lol:
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#1434 » by durden_tyler » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm

FYI:

Vegas still does not respect the Heat: line is Miami +9.5 in Game 3 (if follows that G4 will be about the same, barring any injuries from either side).

The Heat did win straight up as 14.5 dogs last game so Spo might just say Eff You Vegas again. LOL

So if you really believe G2 was not a fluke, just continue riding your Heat spread bet and you’ll get rich.

But no, Boston still has major control of this series despite the Game 2 shellacking. Winning 3 straight to finish this series and everyone forgets about that ugly Game 2 loss at home.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1435 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:33 pm

durden_tyler wrote:FYI:

Vegas still does not respect the Heat: line is Miami +9.5 in Game 3 (if follows that G4 will be about the same, barring any injuries from either side).

The Heat did win straight up as 14.5 dogs last game so Spo might just say Eff You Vegas again. LOL

So if you really believe G2 was not a fluke, just continue riding your Heat spread bet and you’ll get rich.

But no, Boston still has major control of this series despite the Game 2 shellacking. Winning 3 straight to finish this series and everyone forgets about that ugly Game 2 loss at home.

Conversely, if Miami wins three straight, game 1 is forgotten. From where I sit, Miami has home court advantage with the series tied at one and, while I believe Boston will likely win three straight, it's kinda ridiculous to say either team has "major control" of the series at this point. They don't. By definition, they don't.
ChipotleWest
Analyst

Post#1436 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 pm

Everyone's being too calm still picking the Celtics. But after Game 3....

Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,975

Post#1437 » by Eagle4 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 pm

The Corey's wrote:
Eagle4 wrote:

Ain't happening

I always find it interesting when people think adding missing pieces changes anything.

With Butler taking his 30 shots, how many of them come out of the pocket of someone who already scored?

Quite the contrary :lol:
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#1438 » by The Corey's » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:39 pm

Eagle4 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Eagle4 wrote:Image

Quite the contrary :lol:

Just make sure you're not here blaming Jimmy buckets for your loss we both know it's not true
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1439 » by BBallFreak » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:44 pm

The Corey's wrote:
Eagle4 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

Quite the contrary

Just make sure you're not here blaming Jimmy buckets for your loss we both know it's not true
From the way you talk, it seems Jimmy and Miami has been something of a problem for you, huh? Poor guy! You won't even get the satisfaction of beating Jimmy. How does it feel to have a losing record against Himmy in the playoffs?
batterybro42
Rookie
And1: 1,517

Post#1440 » by batterybro42 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 pm

Miami somehow winning this series would be the most hilarious thing to happen in the NBA in some time

Very little chance of it happening but a Game 3 loss would make the rest of this series a must watch for anybody who likes NBA basketball.

If I was writing a script I would take it to 7 and have Jimmy Butler emerge from the tunnel unexpectedly before the opening tip

Return to The General Board