Who do you think the top 5 coaches in the NBA are?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who are the top 5 coaches right now

Mark Daigneault
10%
Steve Kerr
6%
Ty Lue
7%
Mike Malone
15%
Joe Mazzulla
3%
Nick Nurse
11%
Gregg Popovich
15%
Erik Spoelstra
21%
Tom Thibodeau
9%
Other
4%

Total votes: 396

Ssj16
Junior
And1: 456

Who do you think the top 5 coaches in the NBA are? 

Post#1 » by Ssj16 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:41 am

For this criteria, I would say think of the top 5 coaches you would take to win a 7 game series if your life depended on it. I tried to list a good mix of coaches at various parts of their careers.

I went with:
Malone
Kerr
Thibs
Daigneault
Spo
DLoMor
Junior
And1: 559

Re: Who do you think the top 5 coaches in the NBA are? 

Post#2 » by DLoMor » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:11 am

No Chris Finch in the poll. Poll is inaccurate. Lock thread. While Ty Lue is in it. What a joke, next time if you wanna put the coaches at least put the legit good coaches on this list, smh.
famicommander
Sophomore
And1: 345

Post#3 » by famicommander » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:12 am

Pop
Spoelstra
Kerr
Malone
Nurse
Ssj16
Junior

Post#4 » by Ssj16 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:13 am

DLoMor wrote:No Chris Finch in the poll. Poll is inaccurate. Lock thread. While Ty Lue is in it. What a joke, next time if you wanna put the coaches at least put the legit good coaches on this list, smh.

Only have 10 options, hence the "other" option.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,105

Post#5 » by DonaldSanders » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:27 am

Kerr used to be up there; now he plays vets over who the best players on the team actually are. I doubt anyone that watched all 82 Warrior games is voting Steve Kerr.

Daigneault
Spoelstra
Jenkins
Malone
Nurse

Pop is close but hard to say based on tanking years, so I can't include him despite being the best coach of all time.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,287

Post#6 » by dygaction » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:55 am

Malone was happy to be norminate until he sees Mike
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,890

Post#7 » by UcanUwill » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:49 am

Spo
Pop
Lue
Thibs
Hardy or Daigneault

Probably my top 5, but I do not know enough about this type of stuff.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,643

Post#8 » by nomansland » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:42 am

Spo, Pop, Malone, Finch, Nurse
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,388

Post#9 » by shi-woo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:21 pm

Embarrassing show on the poll, there are way more deserving coaches than some of those guys.

Spo, Malone, and Thibs are the only ones i'd safely say are in the Top 5, and not really debatable. All 3 have proven it over a long period of time, changed their styles, coached on championship teams, and are able to influence their team with their personality.

After that you are pretty much flipping a coin and hoping this is the year this guy isn't trash.

Finch, Hardy, and Daigneault are all really solid young coaches that could be around for a long time.

I really like Mike Brown, and think that he's an incredible locker room guy and I have so much respect for him given that he's one of the only coaches who's been around for a while, and you can actively say "this is a man that takes accountability and learns from his mistakes."

Kerr and Nurse are the same to me. I really don't know how to rank them given that they have lowkey crumbled when things haven't gone exactly as planned recently. I'm going to throw Pop in there as well. He just hasn't been the same lately.

I'm also absolutely shocked that we have all these young coaches getting mentioned, but the most successful new guy in the league, Ime Udoka, isn't getting a single mention. Dude has now flipped the script on 2 teams, and has proven to reach his players, get them to play hard, and is just a solid in game coach who motivates his team. He's going to be around for a long long time (as long as he can keep it in his pants)

So for now, to coach a 7 game series?

1. Spo
2. Malone
3. Thibs
4. Ime
5. Brown
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#10 » by Up-And-Coming » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:49 pm

Ssj16 wrote:For this criteria, I would say think of the top 5 coaches you would take to win a 7 game series if your life depended on it. I tried to list a good mix of coaches at various parts of their careers.

I went with:
Malone
Kerr
Thibs
Daigneault
Spo

This was my list but just swapped Pop with Kerr (even though I still think Kerr is a very good coach and a scapegoat for the Warriors rn)

Spo
Pop
Malone
Thibs
Daigneault

Honorable mention: Ime
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,146

Post#11 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:00 pm

Spo and Pop are the 100 percent locks.

I think Kerr is still pretty close to them. But those guys have been doing it at an insanely high level for a long time.

I have Mark in the next group because I’m biased. Finch and Mosley around there too. Those are the young coaches who are up and comers and have done well.

Then there’s the Lue, Malone, Thibs group where the teams win a lot of games and I’m not sure how much of that is the coach. Maybe Malone isn’t totally fair in this category, but more so than the others.

For me, Spo, Pop, Kerr, Mark, Finch.
Ssj16
Junior

Post#12 » by Ssj16 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:27 pm

shi-woo wrote:Embarrassing show on the poll, there are way more deserving coaches than some of those guys.

Spo, Malone, and Thibs are the only ones i'd safely say are in the Top 5, and not really debatable. All 3 have proven it over a long period of time, changed their styles, coached on championship teams, and are able to influence their team with their personality.

After that you are pretty much flipping a coin and hoping this is the year this guy isn't trash.

Finch, Hardy, and Daigneault are all really solid young coaches that could be around for a long time.

I really like Mike Brown, and think that he's an incredible locker room guy and I have so much respect for him given that he's one of the only coaches who's been around for a while, and you can actively say "this is a man that takes accountability and learns from his mistakes."

Kerr and Nurse are the same to me. I really don't know how to rank them given that they have lowkey crumbled when things haven't gone exactly as planned recently. I'm going to throw Pop in there as well. He just hasn't been the same lately.

I'm also absolutely shocked that we have all these young coaches getting mentioned, but the most successful new guy in the league, Ime Udoka, isn't getting a single mention. Dude has now flipped the script on 2 teams, and has proven to reach his players, get them to play hard, and is just a solid in game coach who motivates his team. He's going to be around for a long long time (as long as he can keep it in his pants)

1. Spo
2. Malone
3. Thibs
4. Ime
5. Brown

Again, if I had unlimited options, I would be curious to see in general what people thought with at least 5 more coaches but I had to trim the list so my thinking was some legacy coaches sprinkled with some of the newer aged coaches.
Ssj16
Junior

Post#13 » by Ssj16 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:30 pm

Up-And-Coming wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:For this criteria, I would say think of the top 5 coaches you would take to win a 7 game series if your life depended on it. I tried to list a good mix of coaches at various parts of their careers.

I went with:
Malone
Kerr
Thibs
Daigneault
Spo

I'm seeing a lot of people show love for Pop where as, I did not vote for him.

If I had to choose the GOAT coach, I'm going with Pop. But at this point and time, I feel like he's not the hottest coach, when I take into account the past several years, including this past season with Wemby.

I also could see people saying the same about Kerr as I'm close to kicking him out of my top five but I want to see how he fairs in another season.

This was my list but just swapped Pop with Kerr (even though I still think Kerr is a very good coach and a scapegoat for the Warriors rn)

Spo
Pop
Malone
Thibs
Daigneault

Honorable mention: Ime
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,034

Post#14 » by Residual-Heat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:35 pm

went with Daigneault, spo, malone, Kerr, and Pop
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,883

Post#15 » by NZB2323 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:05 pm

shi-woo wrote:Embarrassing show on the poll, there are way more deserving coaches than some of those guys.

1. Spo
2. Malone
3. Thibs
4. Ime
5. Brown

Has Malone been doing it for a long time? He’s only had success with 1 team, he has the best player in the league, and if a play breaks down they can just give the ball to Jokic who makes the right play.

He’s also only won when his team has been healthy. Thibs won a playoff series with the Bulls while half the team was injured. Lue made it to the WCF without Kawhi. Spo made it to the finals while Herro was injured.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,388

Post#16 » by shi-woo » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:33 pm

NZB2323 wrote:

1. Spo
2. Malone
3. Thibs
4. Ime
5. Brown

Has Malone been doing it for a long time? He’s only had success with 1 team, he has the best player in the league, and if a play breaks down they can just give the ball to Jokic who makes the right play.

He’s also only won when his team has been healthy. Thibs won a playoff series with the Bulls while half the team was injured. Lue made it to the WCF without Kawhi. Spo made it to the finals while Herro was injured.

Spo is the best coach in the league, and why I had him #1 :lol:

Malone was essentially the mind behind the Warriors, this is well known by most fans, and Warrior fans will sing his praises. Likewise, he was on his way to making Sac an actal team before they fired him literally out of nowhere and for no reason. It's one of the most confusing terminations i've ever seen in any sport, and single handedly set that team back a another 5 years. Malone has been a top coach in the league for almost a decade now.
Bodiroga13
Junior
And1: 547

Post#17 » by Bodiroga13 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:50 pm

Right now,

Spoelstra
Nurse
Lue
Finch
Malone

Overall, judging by the previous years, Popovich and Kerr are the best coaches, with Spo.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,284

Post#18 » by SNPA » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:00 am

Still reigning COY not included in the poll.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,611

Post#19 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:06 am

I am not sure Taylor Jenkins is top 5, but I am also not sure I can name five better coaches.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,566

Post#20 » by BarbaGrizz » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:08 am

Taylor Jenkins is the most underrated coach in NBA
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today

Return to The General Board