Rare: Celtics Even Series Odds to SWEEP Heat

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,968

Re: Rare: Celtics Even Series Odds to SWEEP Heat 

Post#41 » by durden_tyler » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:00 pm

madskillz8 wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:
Serious question - do you think you have a gambling addiction?

Why would you think that? I'm as casual as a gambler there is. Maybe putting a bet in once ever two weeks and mostly only when there promos or free bets given. Up $1359 since January of last year. Just because you can read and understand the money line, over/under or spread doesn't mean your some degenerate gambler. This board is a trip. I use the tools and info in front of me to try to make money off.

Again, I didn't ask this question just because of this post. That wouldn't be reasonable.

He knows why I did ask this question, though - lately, he was regularly posting his bets or betting lines at almost every single game thread, even though no one seems interested or replied. This caught my eye because this is the first time I observed gambling related posts in game threads, especially from one single user.

I don't care if you or anyone else are betting on sports, it's not my business. I just wanted to kindly "warn" a fellow realgm'r with a simple question as a one who saw the dark side of sports betting addiction.

And yes, no offense taken at all. It’s a valid question and “warning”, i do know and have seen the pitfalls of gambling and it is not pretty.

But good point by Pluto, i do post here about gambling more to illicit what the *pure* fans think about the games. Have a lot of other forum/groups of gamblers only and of course, their perspective is vastly different. RealGM is a good tool to have for extra information, this is especially true in active team boards/posters who know the rotations and gameplans and more oft than not that could be an edge when making a pick.

Also, i like to share the lines since these lines *could* affect the game and results itself— heck, we have seen some point shaving over the years. LOL. The NBA is not entirely pure and that’s okay.

Case in point, about this thread (and other related threads) only very few think the sweep Heat bet is a good bet and that Miami will get at least a win— which makes me feel good that it pushed me to pull the trigger on that bet. LOL

It might win, it might lose but having an educated opinion from all types of fans (pure, casual, gamblers) at least i sort of did my research first
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,154

Post#42 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:19 pm

Not sure how folks are saying this wouldn’t be a series even with Jimmy. Eastern Conference Finals from last year might say otherwise.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,968

Post#43 » by durden_tyler » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:27 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Not sure how folks are saying this wouldn’t be a series even with Jimmy. Eastern Conference Finals from last year might say otherwise.

Keyword: “last year”

Out of respect for Spo, who is perhaps the best coach in the NBA today, it is probable that they steal one game.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,846

Post#44 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:35 pm

It's too bad because it's always exciting seeing playoff Jimmy just take over on his own.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,922

Post#45 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:55 pm

GSP wrote:13 Heatles defending champs that won 66 games against 38 win Bucks led by Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings is the most lopsided series i can remember. I dunno odds but they wouldve def been favorites to sweep no one thought Bucks even had a shot of winning a game. Everyone picked sweep.;

Brandon Jennings! Haven't heard that name in years. I remember him getting disgruntled in Milwaukee and the Blazers making some obscene trade offer for him, only to have Detroit outbit by offering Khris Middleton. And then he was a g-league player shortly after.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,031

Post#46 » by GSP » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:49 am

JasonStern wrote:
GSP wrote:13 Heatles defending champs that won 66 games against 38 win Bucks led by Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings is the most lopsided series i can remember. I dunno odds but they wouldve def been favorites to sweep no one thought Bucks even had a shot of winning a game. Everyone picked sweep.;

Brandon Jennings! Haven't heard that name in years. I remember him getting disgruntled in Milwaukee and the Blazers making some obscene trade offer for him, only to have Detroit outbit by offering Khris Middleton. And then he was a g-league player shortly after.

Hes a podcaster now on Gilbert Arenas show :lol: :lol:
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#47 » by JasonStern » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:19 pm

GSP wrote:
JasonStern wrote:

Hes a podcaster now on Gilbert Arenas show :lol: :lol:

Make sure to like and subscribe. He could probably use the YouTube advertising dollars.
- Chauncey Billups
WemBA Time
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#48 » by WemBA Time » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 am

I wish I was a gambling man.
Not a Stan account…yet.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,093

Post#49 » by jkvonny » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:22 am

Im glad that I don't gamble. :lol:

Didn't expect Miami to win tonite, TBH.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,871

Post#50 » by HotelVitale » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:37 am

JasonStern wrote:

Can't tell if this is some high level sarcasm, but Khris Middleton was the throw-in to end all throw-ins. The trade was for Brandon Knight, and it was largely about MIL not wanting to pay him.
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,222

Post#51 » by rate_ » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:48 am

durden_tyler wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:Not sure how folks are saying this wouldn’t be a series even with Jimmy. Eastern Conference Finals from last year might say otherwise.

Keyword: “last year”

Out of respect for Spo, who is perhaps the best coach in the NBA today, it is probable that they steal one game.

Miami has won more playoff games than any team since Jimmy got there. And they've shown countless times they are an entirely different team in the playoffs from the regular season. There should be a different level of respect for them. They are not a prototypical 8th seeded team. This team tends to raise their level of play and don't take the regular season as serious, clearly.
Handlez
Sophomore
And1: 320

Post#52 » by Handlez » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:58 am

Put some respeck on Herro's name.

He got that DAWG.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#53 » by WentzerWuver » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:27 am

madskillz8 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:
Serious question - do you think you have a gambling addiction?

Is that something you should ask someone? Would you ask an alcoholic that? Or a drug addict? You could send someone over the edge saying something like that online tbh

I asked this question with a purpose, as I wanted him to question that.

Most of us do these things without acknowledging what is going on. And when we realize there is a problem, it is often too late. Been there done that for gambling, and I wish I had someone to made me question that earlier.

You might be right for alcohol or drug addiction, but it is very different for gambling. Believe it or not, people with gambling addiction go over the edge when they eventually lost more than they can tolerate, but not when they realize they gamble excessively.
Gambling is a drug cause it feels excited when the bet is placed but when it's end, the need to repeat the process of placing another bet to get that same anticipated high. With online betting, it can be done with ease, unlike in the past.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 643

Post#54 » by madskillz8 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:51 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
Is that something you should ask someone? Would you ask an alcoholic that? Or a drug addict? You could send someone over the edge saying something like that online tbh

I asked this question with a purpose, as I wanted him to question that.

Most of us do these things without acknowledging what is going on. And when we realize there is a problem, it is often too late. Been there done that for gambling, and I wish I had someone to made me question that earlier.

You might be right for alcohol or drug addiction, but it is very different for gambling. Believe it or not, people with gambling addiction go over the edge when they eventually lost more than they can tolerate, but not when they realize they gamble excessively.
Gambling is a drug cause it feels excited when the bet is placed but when it's end, the need to repeat the process of placing another bet to get that same anticipated high. With online betting, it can be done with ease, unlike in the past.

Agreed but what you explain here is the "addiction" part, the repeated process of excitement. Drug addiction, compared to gambling addiction, is directly harmful and can put you in a very tough situation (overdose, withdrawal syndrome etc.) while the harm of gambling addiction is in its consequences - eventually losing more than you can tolerate. That's the point which people easily go over the edge, even with a few clicks as you also suggested.

I don't have a crystal ball but the way NBA media is forcing sports betting down people's throats in broadcasts viewed by millions - it will cause many Americans (including realgm posters) to face with the dark side of this addiction sooner than the later. IMHO that's disgusting considering NBA already makes huge profit (see the increase in player salaries compared to average joe's salary).

Also:
Since sports betting was legalized 10 months ago in Ohio, calls to the problem gambling helpline have gone up 70%.
Out of any addiction, gambling has the highest suicide rate. Nearly 40% of people who experience a gambling disorder will consider suicide.

So many young people in particular are getting addicted to gambling. Young men are by far the biggest share among sports bettors in the U.S. It’s easier today for a young person to place a bet than to buy a can of beer or a pack of smokes. It’s getting so bad that I get calls almost every day from mothers and fathers looking for help for their kids.

Sometimes the parents are thankful that their child is “only” addicted to gambling, not drugs or alcohol. But gambling addiction can be much worse than alcohol or drugs, even without the stench of liquor or the needle pricks that vividly mark those other addictions. Treatment for gambling addiction is uniquely challenging: There is no methadone or nicotine gum for gambling addicts, for example. And the suicide rate of gamblers is higher than for other addictions.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#55 » by JasonStern » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
JasonStern wrote:

Can't tell if this is some high level sarcasm, but Khris Middleton was the throw-in to end all throw-ins. The trade was for Brandon Knight, and it was largely about MIL not wanting to pay him.

No sarcasm. The Blazers were heavily rumored to have interest in Jennings, because if there is one thing the Blazers love - it's an undersized shooting guard. I think you're confusing Brandons and Knight was traded for Michael Carter-Williams.
- Chauncey Billups

Return to The General Board