Rare: Celtics Even Series Odds to SWEEP Heat

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,044

Re: Rare: Celtics Even Series Odds to SWEEP Heat 

Post#21 » by DBurks2818 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:33 am

Jellybeans wrote:Whats the odds that Bam will injure someone?

Nowhere near as high as Brown getting embarrassed as a ball handler at a critical moment again.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#22 » by durden_tyler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:36 am

Hitachi77 wrote:Books set their lines to maximize profit. So they often will shave points off teams with large followings. This is a massive sucker bet, and there’s value on the other side.

Sucker for whom though? Like ALL Heat fans will jump at this “easy” line now while most Celtics backers will simply avoid this series bet and maybe just bet game by game,
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,680

Post#23 » by Sign5 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:43 am

About the same as Tatum wilting under pressure or Jaylen dribbling the ball off his leg multiple times.
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 672

Post#24 » by Hitachi77 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:39 am

durden_tyler wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:Books set their lines to maximize profit. So they often will shave points off teams with large followings. This is a massive sucker bet, and there’s value on the other side.

Sucker for whom though? Like ALL Heat fans will jump at this “easy” line now while most Celtics backers will simply avoid this series bet and maybe just bet game by game,

Betting any team to sweep another at even odds is almost always a sucker bet. But especially when it’s a team with a following like the Lakers or Celtics. That line is set that way on purpose because they expect money to flow in on the Celtics.
iamoti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,447

Post#25 » by iamoti » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:52 am

Better odds Tatum **** the bed again and goes scoreless in a 4th quarter

Sent from my SM-G990B2 using RealGM mobile app
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#26 » by durden_tyler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:54 am

Hitachi77 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:

Betting any team to sweep another at even odds is almost always a sucker bet. But especially when it’s a team with a following like the Lakers or Celtics. That line is set that way on purpose because they expect money to flow in on the Celtics.

So free money for Heat backers then? i don't know if Miami fans trust their team with this bet. LOL
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 672

Post#27 » by Hitachi77 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:24 am

durden_tyler wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Sucker for whom though? Like ALL Heat fans will jump at this “easy” line now while most Celtics backers will simply avoid this series bet and maybe just bet game by game,

So free money for Heat backers then? i don't know if Miami fans trust their team with this bet. LOL

For sure the better side. Sometimes it’s harder to bet when you are emotionally invested, but an indifferent person like myself can recognize it.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#28 » by durden_tyler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:35 am

Hitachi77 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:
Hitachi77 wrote:

For sure the better side. Sometimes it’s harder to bet when you are emotionally invested, but an indifferent person like myself can recognize it.

Yes, not a fan of either team.

That's why it's easy to see how Boston will dominate this Eastern Conference basing on their regular season performance and how much they sucked (and fell short) the past 2 postseasons.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#29 » by Statlanta » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:59 am

The Celtics stars are usually healthy compared to the stars of the superteams in the past and that makes up the ground between them and others.
Read on Twitter
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,841

Post#30 » by Homer38 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:32 am

Maybe the blazers-warriors first round matchup back in 2017?
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,680

Post#31 » by Sign5 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:42 am

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,985

Post#32 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:04 am

I would bet against a sweep just because of those those odds, but I expect them to sweep. Spo doesn't actually get out on the court.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#33 » by durden_tyler » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:47 pm

1 down. Still not a “sure win” by any stretch of the imagination since these are the scrappy Miami Heat but this statement blowout Game 1 victory is the perfect start for those who picked a Boston sweep in the first round.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#34 » by JasonStern » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:51 pm

durden_tyler wrote:Thanks for the concern guys. LOL

But seriously, for some people, the game is just more enjoyable to watch/follow with a few $ on it. i am that kind of person.

When I watch games, I tend to throw a $2 mobile bet on whatever team I am rooting for. Maybe even $5 if I am confident. There's a big difference between being a "gambler" and a "degenerate gambler". But if you do find yourself in the degenerate category, 1-800-GAMBLER is there for support. Looking at you, Jontay Porter.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
web123888
Freshman
And1: 53

Post#35 » by web123888 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:04 pm

Heat can get swept. They’re not that good even with Butler, pretty bad without him.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,089

Post#36 » by GSP » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:35 pm

13 Heatles defending champs that won 66 games against 38 win Bucks led by Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings is the most lopsided series i can remember. I dunno odds but they wouldve def been favorites to sweep no one thought Bucks even had a shot of winning a game. Everyone picked sweep.;
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,925

Post#37 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:59 am

Maybe not bam, but someone on the heat os going to try really hard to do it.

I would say the odds of bam hurting or trying to hurt someone are absolutely higher than miami winning a game
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,145

Post#38 » by Plutonashfan » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:16 am

madskillz8 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Is this the most lopsided series ever? i don't remember the super teams (Warriors) ever getting a 4-0 priced at (1.90 or -110) for even odds? So same same, series handicap is at Celtics -3.5. Again, i don't remember a series this lopsided for their opening lines, even the dominant run of the Warriors before they were at most -2.5 (series handicap)

The Heat can at least win a game, right? Right? (Maybe not, getting this bet now before it changes. LOL)

Serious question - do you think you have a gambling addiction?

Why would you think that? I'm as casual as a gambler there is. Maybe putting a bet in once ever two weeks and mostly only when there promos or free bets given. Up $1359 since January of last year. Just because you can read and understand the money line, over/under or spread doesn't mean your some degenerate gambler. This board is a trip. I use the tools and info in front of me to try to make money off.
The Champ is HERE!!!
titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,387

Post#39 » by titlebound1 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:26 am

Celtics getting absolutely crushed by the pacers in 04 is probably the most lopsided series I can remember as a Celtics fan
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 667

Post#40 » by madskillz8 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:59 am

Plutonashfan wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Is this the most lopsided series ever? i don't remember the super teams (Warriors) ever getting a 4-0 priced at (1.90 or -110) for even odds? So same same, series handicap is at Celtics -3.5. Again, i don't remember a series this lopsided for their opening lines, even the dominant run of the Warriors before they were at most -2.5 (series handicap)

The Heat can at least win a game, right? Right? (Maybe not, getting this bet now before it changes. LOL)

Serious question - do you think you have a gambling addiction?

Why would you think that? I'm as casual as a gambler there is. Maybe putting a bet in once ever two weeks and mostly only when there promos or free bets given. Up $1359 since January of last year. Just because you can read and understand the money line, over/under or spread doesn't mean your some degenerate gambler. This board is a trip. I use the tools and info in front of me to try to make money off.

Again, I didn't ask this question just because of this post. That wouldn't be reasonable.

He knows why I did ask this question, though - lately, he was regularly posting his bets or betting lines at almost every single game thread, even though no one seems interested or replied. This caught my eye because this is the first time I observed gambling related posts in game threads, especially from one single user.

I don't care if you or anyone else are betting on sports, it's not my business. I just wanted to kindly "warn" a fellow realgm'r with a simple question as a one who saw the dark side of sports betting addiction.

Return to The General Board