2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Thunder in 4
16%
Thunder in 5
39%
Thunder in 6
27%
Thunder in 7
6%
Pelicans in 4
2%
Pelicans in 5
1%
Pelicans in 6
4%
Pelicans in 7
5%

Total votes: 125

Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 266

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans 

Post#741 » by Slimjimzv » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:50 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
CelticSooner wrote:This entire OKC playoff run is going to be about them not having any size.

Lots of takes of who OKC should have targeted, from Bill Simmons to all of us. I will chip in - Jakob Poeltl. That guy should be a Thunder right now, imo that was the fit.

This isn't close to the final form for this team. The main reason why I'm baffled by all of the OKC hate (both here and from quite a few people in media) is based on the fact that they are WAY ahead of schedule. People dumping on this team for not having enough of x or y are completely ignoring a few things.

1. Presti has nailed an unbelievable number of draft picks. He's not perfect, but no GM is. He's sure as hell better than most. Maybe better than everyone else. With all of the upcoming picks at his disposal, the team will most likely improve every year for the next 3 or 4 at least. And for those who want to use the Durant/Westbrook/Harden era as a reason this will fail, Sam seems to be a pretty damn smart guy who learns from his mistakes.

2. Shai and Dort *might* be at their peaks, but no other contributors on this team have reached it yet. They'll all improve.

The number 1 seed in the West, who won the game they're supposed to win, who is likely going to win this series, is almost certainly the worst version of this team over the next 5 or so years. If you're not sitting back and enjoying it, then you're either someone who is insane for thinking they know more than Sam Presti on how to build a team, or you're jealous and looking for excuses to take shots.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,214

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans 

Post#742 » by sol537 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:58 pm

Slimjimzv wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
CelticSooner wrote:This entire OKC playoff run is going to be about them not having any size.

Lots of takes of who OKC should have targeted, from Bill Simmons to all of us. I will chip in - Jakob Poeltl. That guy should be a Thunder right now, imo that was the fit.

This isn't close to the final form for this team. The main reason why I'm baffled by all of the OKC hate (both here and from quite a few people in media) is based on the fact that they are WAY ahead of schedule. People dumping on this team for not having enough of x or y are completely ignoring a few things.

1. Presti has nailed an unbelievable number of draft picks. He's not perfect, but no GM is. He's sure as hell better than most. Maybe better than everyone else. With all of the upcoming picks at his disposal, the team will most likely improve every year for the next 3 or 4 at least. And for those who want to use the Durant/Westbrook/Harden era as a reason this will fail, Sam seems to be a pretty damn smart guy who learns from his mistakes.

2. Shai and Dort *might* be at their peaks, but no other contributors on this team have reached it yet. They'll all improve.

The number 1 seed in the West, who won the game they're supposed to win, who is likely going to win this series, is almost certainly the worst version of this team over the next 5 or so years. If you're not sitting back and enjoying it, then you're either someone who is insane for thinking they know more than Sam Presti on how to build a team, or you're jealous and looking for excuses to take shots.

Good post... it's clear they need an enforcer PF/C type to play alongside Chet for portions of the game. They don't have that yet.

While Chet has impressed... I'm still highly concerned about his build and the toll the NBA game must be taking on his body. I just don't know how long he could last so they're taking a big gamble on his ability to stay healthy for multiple deep playoff runs.

OKC has as good a chance as any team to win a title within the next 5-6 seasons. Presti is great.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,756

Post#743 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:19 pm

sol537 wrote:OKC has as good a chance as any team to win a title within the next 5-6 seasons. Presti is great.

No they're going to have a dynasty over the next 5-6 seasons, or at least a co-dynasty with Boston. If Presti doesn't botch things when he cashes in the war chest, it's just about inevitable. They'll be to the Western Conference what Boston is to the Eastern Conference right now.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,094

Post#744 » by slick_watts » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:22 pm

sol537 wrote:Good post... it's clear they need an enforcer PF/C type to play alongside Chet for portions of the game. They don't have that yet.

While Chet has impressed... I'm still highly concerned about his build and the toll the NBA game must be taking on his body. I just don't know how long he could last so they're taking a big gamble on his ability to stay healthy for multiple deep playoff runs.

i don't think that's what they need. they need to replace josh giddey. the replacement should be able to rebound a bit, but i don't think they should be looking for a traditional big to play alongside chet. this would be an unnecessary overcorrection after his first season of playing- at least let the guy get a full offseason of work before pigeonholing him.

chet played 2300 minutes this year and every game. his only injury was a freak foot injury on a wet court. i don't think he's been there from a conditioning standpoint all the time this year but concerns about being able to stay healthy are overblown imo.

also, jalen williams is a big guy with a huge wingspan. the thunder should also be aware of the possibility that he could play PF next to chet legitimately in a robert covington type defensive role.

there are just so many better options than 'get a bruiser to play with him for a few minutes a game'.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,188

Post#745 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:49 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
sol537 wrote:OKC has as good a chance as any team to win a title within the next 5-6 seasons. Presti is great.

No they're going to have a dynasty over the next 5-6 seasons, or at least a co-dynasty with Boston. If Presti doesn't botch things when he cashes in the war chest, it's just about inevitable. They'll be to the Western Conference what Boston is to the Eastern Conference right now.

odds are good but Shai has 3 more years under his current contract so if he walks it might not be that easy

It's way too early to tell but yeah not winning a championship in this new Thunder era would be a disappointment
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,756

Post#746 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

odds are good but Shai has 3 more years under his current contract so if he walks it might not be that easy

It's way too early to tell but yeah not winning a championship in this new Thunder era would be a disappointment

That's hard to see. Even if he wants to go to Toronto or LA or Miami, can't imagine he would willingly put himself in what will surely be a worse position to win in order to make it happen.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,188

Post#747 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:00 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

That's hard to see. Even if he wants to go to Toronto or LA or Miami, can't imagine he would willingly put himself in what will surely be a worse position to win in order to make it happen.

can't disagree about this but we need to see in 3 seasons...maybe a big market team will be very good and we will struggle just a bit. KD walked after we lost in the WCF after being up 3-1 against the best regular season team ever despite the fact that Al Horford was willing to join us. Don't think anybody saw that coming a few years before when we were better than Gs.

I just don't think we can take that dinasty stuff for granted even if I'm super high on our roster (mostly Chet and JDub). Our top end talent is crazy high, need some depth.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 696

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 1-0) 

Post#748 » by The Servant » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:20 pm

The thing is they need bigs for match ups. Even GSW had Bogut, Javaile, David Lee etc for 15 to 20 mins a game and match ups.

These players are good for yoffs match ups because if you go small with length sometimes they have a mobile big that can keep up well enough and still put size on you.

Chet's thing is luring bigs out to the perimeter and abusing them, but Jonas can keep up and switching Ingram onto him makes his length less effective. Sometimes you need an Adams even if its for 15m-20m a game.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,714

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 1-0) 

Post#749 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:37 pm

The Pelicans are uniquely equipped with a bunch of good defenders that can guard multiple positions. They definitely aren’t an easy team to deal with on that end. But OKC had typical young player nerves who haven’t been there. They had to work way too hard and forced a lot of shots. I expect a more dominant win next game. OKC by 15.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,781

Post#750 » by azcatz11 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:39 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:The Pelicans are uniquely equipped with a bunch of good defenders that can guard multiple positions. They definitely aren’t an easy team to deal with on that end. But OKC had typical young player nerves who haven’t been there. They had to work way too hard and forced a lot of shots. I expect a more dominant win next game. OKC by 15.

Just want to say it’s a pleasure you are back. The entire board owes you an apology for the SGA slander which occurred when you called is rise to super stardom
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,714

Post#751 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:13 am

azcatz11 wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:The Pelicans are uniquely equipped with a bunch of good defenders that can guard multiple positions. They definitely aren’t an easy team to deal with on that end. But OKC had typical young player nerves who haven’t been there. They had to work way too hard and forced a lot of shots. I expect a more dominant win next game. OKC by 15.

Just want to say it’s a pleasure you are back. The entire board owes you an apology for the SGA slander which occurred when you called is rise to super stardom

Good to see you always brother!
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
DrModesty
Junior
And1: 486

Post#752 » by DrModesty » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:54 am

jbk1234 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I think it's going to be very difficult for Dort, and to a lesser extent SGA/JW, to manhandle the ball handler on the perimeter in N.O. the way they are at home. It's well beyond hand checking.

lol ok

There is an inordinate amount of whining and complaining ITT.

I like both teams, I'm familiar with playoff basketball, but Dort was absolutely over the line with Ingram last night.

Dort was at least as physical with Ingram last year in the play-in game that happened in NO.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,903

Post#753 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:00 am

Slimjimzv wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I agree on your points, but still, they competing right now. They have bunch of draft assets that they will not be able to use even if they wanted, and they have significant hole as a team, and they are contenders...

Yes, they are young and ahead of schedule, that does not necessary guarantee you successful future, the window is already now. When 2012 OKC lost, what did we all say? Amazing season, they are so young still, no doubt this team will have their moment, maybe even several moments... Well that never happened, 2012, 22 year old KD and Westbrook and 21 year old Harden, was the only time they made the finals.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,285

Post#754 » by sfernald » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I agree on your points, but still, they competing right now. They have bunch of draft assets that they will not be able to use even if they wanted, and they have significant hole as a team, and they are contenders...

Yes, they are young and ahead of schedule, that does not necessary guarantee you successful future, the window is already now. When 2012 OKC lost, what did we all say? Amazing season, they are so young still, no doubt this team will have their moment, maybe even several moments... Well that never happened, 2012, 22 year old KD and Westbrook and 21 year old Harden, was the only time they made the finals.

Well these guys haven’t made the finals yet. Let’s just see how far they get on their first shot. This year might be Tatum & Brown’s first championship and look how long that took just to get to this point.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,057

Post#755 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:06 pm

I hope Zion is cleared to play soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,845

Post#756 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:12 pm

Suns should win this series on paper. KD gets way to many passes for the talent he plays with.

Cmon bro it's literally Ant vs 2 future HOF's. Booker and KD should dominate tonight and win this game.
lethalizer
Junior
And1: 305

Post#757 » by lethalizer » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:52 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Suns should win this series on paper. KD gets way to many passes for the talent he plays with.

Cmon bro it's literally Ant vs 2 future HOF's. Booker and KD should dominate tonight and win this game.

I agree, Suns should definitely win this series happening between the Oklahoma City Thunder and New Orleans Pelicans.
Demagoog
Senior
And1: 1,982

Post#758 » by Demagoog » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Suns should win this series on paper. KD gets way to many passes for the talent he plays with.

Basketball isn’t played on paper.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,111

Post#759 » by Wallace_Wallace » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:44 am

Valančiūnas might be an X factor this series. A couple years back, he played a nasty series against the Suns. Now Holmgren probably won't match Ayton's production (averaged 20/10 with 70% shooting), and he might get boxed out of position a lot when Jonas is out there. If Pelicans have more shot attempts in general than the Thunder, it could get dicey for OKC.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 266

Post#760 » by Slimjimzv » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:31 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

This is an example of someone who thinks they know more than Presti. You think he doesn't know that? You think he's not trying to improve the team? You think he doesn't know what assets he has? They're in the first real year of competing. Show me a team that's fully formed after one year? They needed to see what this team can do, and they're seeing it. No championship is guaranteed, but Presti is doing all any fanbase could ever expect in terms of positioning his team to get one. If the journey is derailed by injuries and insane decisions by his players, then so be it. The Harden decision was the only bad one, and I'd be shocked if he didn't learn from the experience.

Return to The General Board