2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC SWEEPS 4-0)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins?

Thunder in 4
16%
Thunder in 5
39%
Thunder in 6
27%
Thunder in 7
6%
Pelicans in 4
2%
Pelicans in 5
1%
Pelicans in 6
4%
Pelicans in 7
5%

Total votes: 125

Jta444
Sophomore
And1: 227

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 1-0) 

Post#761 » by Jta444 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

Wtf is the homerism and hopium on this thread? Somebody really just said the Thunder and Celtics will be co-dynasties of this era?? Have the Celtics even won anything yet? Last i checked their last one was in 2008 lmao. Jrue and Horford are old and Porzingis is injury prone. Aint no dynasty there. They’re lucky Giannis got injured this year.

And speaking of luck, Thunder are lucky Zion is injured and Lebron won the play-ins because if ya’ll are facing the Lakers it would’ve been a hard reality check for all the rooks after the Lakers sweep them. The Thunder might have promising players but ya’ll forgot Luka and Ant play in the same conference?? And must i even mention Jokic??? Cmon now… ya’ll really comparing Jaylin Williams and Chet to these proven dudes?

Sorry for jumping in this thread just got caught off guard by the co-dynasty comment up there
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,908

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans 

Post#762 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

Slimjimzv wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:
This isn't close to the final form for this team. The main reason why I'm baffled by all of the OKC hate (both here and from quite a few people in media) is based on the fact that they are WAY ahead of schedule. People dumping on this team for not having enough of x or y are completely ignoring a few things.

1. Presti has nailed an unbelievable number of draft picks. He's not perfect, but no GM is. He's sure as hell better than most. Maybe better than everyone else. With all of the upcoming picks at his disposal, the team will most likely improve every year for the next 3 or 4 at least. And for those who want to use the Durant/Westbrook/Harden era as a reason this will fail, Sam seems to be a pretty damn smart guy who learns from his mistakes.

2. Shai and Dort *might* be at their peaks, but no other contributors on this team have reached it yet. They'll all improve.

The number 1 seed in the West, who won the game they're supposed to win, who is likely going to win this series, is almost certainly the worst version of this team over the next 5 or so years. If you're not sitting back and enjoying it, then you're either someone who is insane for thinking they know more than Sam Presti on how to build a team, or you're jealous and looking for excuses to take shots.

I agree on your points, but still, they competing right now. They have bunch of draft assets that they will not be able to use even if they wanted, and they have significant hole as a team, and they are contenders...

Yes, they are young and ahead of schedule, that does not necessary guarantee you successful future, the window is already now. When 2012 OKC lost, what did we all say? Amazing season, they are so young still, no doubt this team will have their moment, maybe even several moments... Well that never happened, 2012, 22 year old KD and Westbrook and 21 year old Harden, was the only time they made the finals.

This is an example of someone who thinks they know more than Presti. You think he doesn't know that? You think he's not trying to improve the team? You think he doesn't know what assets he has? They're in the first real year of competing. Show me a team that's fully formed after one year? They needed to see what this team can do, and they're seeing it. No championship is guaranteed, but Presti is doing all any fanbase could ever expect in terms of positioning his team to get one. If the journey is derailed by injuries and insane decisions by his players, then so be it. The Harden decision was the only bad one, and I'd be shocked if he didn't learn from the experience.

All GMs know way more than us, but we question their moves, that is the point and ironic name of this site I think. People with knowledge screw up all the time.

I do not think I know more than Presti, but I can still question something a person does.

Maybe it is no mistake, maybe Presti did try what I would think was the move, and the option wasn't there, you are correct, I do not know anything much.

But it really looks to me, that something could have been done better to adress their center rotation. OKC aint a team that stuck, they have assets up the wazoo. Their move was Gordon Hayward, which basically was the move to get away from Micic deal, which was a screw up it seems, but I am not sure Hayward was even an upgrade, Micic is the guy who vould have contributed I feel, they gave up on him fast. Not sure he was even fast enough to get 100 minutes in the league, before they declared him a bust signing.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,533

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans (OKC leads 1-0) 

Post#763 » by Mrakar » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:56 pm

2 Questions for today:
1. Who will miss more shots, CJ or BI?
2. Will it be blowout win or nailbiter win for the OKC?
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#764 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:56 pm

Jta444 wrote:Wtf is the homerism on this thread? Somebody really just said the Thunder and Celtics will be co-dynasties of this era?? Have the Celtics even won anything yet? Last i checked their last one was in 2008 lmao. Jrue and Horford are old and Porzingis is injury prone. Aint no dynasty there. They’re lucky Giannis got injured this year.

And speaking of luck, Thunder are lucky Zion is injured and Lebron won the play-ins because if ya’ll are facing the Lakers it would’ve been a hard reality check for all the rooks after the Lakers sweep them. The Thunder might have promising players but ya’ll forgot Luka and Ant play in the same conference?? And must i even mention Jokic??? Cmon now… ya’ll really comparing Jaylin Williams and Chet to these proven dudes?

Sorry for jumping in this thread just got caught off guard by the co-dynasty comment up there

You bring decent points on Boston, but undersell how good OKC guys are. Luka and Ant is in the west, correct, are they even better than SGA? Probably not honestly. Maybe dynasty thing jumps the shark a bit, but that OKC franchice would need to screw up big to not be dominant team for a while.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 268

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs - West 1st Round: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #8 New Orleans Pelicans 

Post#765 » by Slimjimzv » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 pm

UcanUwill wrote:All GMs know way more than us, but we question their moves, that is the point and ironic name of this site I think. People with knowledge screw up all the time.

I do not think I know more than Presti, but I can still question something a person does.

Maybe it is no mistake, maybe Presti did try what I would think was the move, and the option wasn't there, you are correct, I do not know anything much.

But it really looks to me, that something could have been done better to adress their center rotation. OKC aint a team that stuck, they have assets up the wazoo. Their move was Gordon Hayward, which basically was the move to get away from Micic deal, which was a screw up it seems, but I am not sure Hayward was even an upgrade, Micic is the guy who vould have contributed I feel, they gave up on him fast. Not sure he was even fast enough to get 100 minutes in the league, before they declared him a bust signing.

There are some real assumptions about the Micic deal that I'm not sure how you came up with. Did they give up on him, or is that who the Hornets really wanted? Maybe Presti was trying to give Giddey more space to grow. Maybe they just didn't like his age vs his current level of talent. Maybe they thought Hayward would be the big you're looking for. Maybe that's the only trade they could get and they wanted a ton of cap space next season. I don't recall any declaration of him being a bust signing, and I don't think I'd contextualize the trade as them 'giving up' on him.

In direct response to the center position. Presti has said repeatedly that he was going to let the team announce themselves. He has said several times that he wants to evaluate their current roster. He's clearly doing that with Chet Holmgren and Jaylin Williams. Both are showing promise, and both COULD be the solution you're wanting him to trade for. Hell, maybe Ousmane Dieng is the missing piece. Perhaps not, but there's no way to know without watching them play. Even watching them play in the playoffs. If you're wanting him to bring him Nikola Vucevic, it seems unlikely.

And, yes, I get that the point of this board is to debate things, but the aggressiveness with which people make assumptions is mind boggling. And I have far more understanding and patience with it here than I do with the national media, who seem to genuinely believe they would be better decision makers than those who are being paid for it.
Slimjimzv
Junior

Post#766 » by Slimjimzv » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:09 pm

Jta444 wrote:Wtf is the homerism and hopium on this thread? Somebody really just said the Thunder and Celtics will be co-dynasties of this era?? Have the Celtics even won anything yet? Last i checked their last one was in 2008 lmao. Jrue and Horford are old and Porzingis is injury prone. Aint no dynasty there. They’re lucky Giannis got injured this year.

Those 'proven dudes' went a combined 9-7 against the Thunder this season. And, yeah, yeah, yeah the regular season isn't the playoffs, but what other comparison do you have right now other than your feelings? The playoffs will play out and the teams will land where they land, but the 'hopium' about the future of the Thunder seems awfully supported by the current roster, the current trend, the current GM, and the current asset list. I'd take their future over any other team in the NBA. But I guess I'm just another stupid homer.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#767 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:22 pm

Slimjimzv wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:All GMs know way more than us, but we question their moves, that is the point and ironic name of this site I think. People with knowledge screw up all the time.

There are some real assumptions about the Micic deal that I'm not sure how you came up with. Did they give up on him, or is that who the Hornets really wanted? Maybe Presti was trying to give Giddey more space to grow. Maybe they just didn't like his age vs his current level of talent. Maybe they thought Hayward would be the big you're looking for. Maybe that's the only trade they could get and they wanted a ton of cap space next season. I don't recall any declaration of him being a bust signing, and I don't think I'd contextualize the trade as them 'giving up' on him.

In direct response to the center position. Presti has said repeatedly that he was going to let the team announce themselves. He has said several times that he wants to evaluate their current roster. He's clearly doing that with Chet Holmgren and Jaylin Williams. Both are showing promise, and both COULD be the solution you're wanting him to trade for. Hell, maybe Ousmane Dieng is the missing piece. Perhaps not, but there's no way to know without watching them play. Even watching them play in the playoffs. If you're wanting him to bring him Nikola Vucevic, it seems unlikely.

And, yes, I get that the point of this board is to debate things, but the aggressiveness with which people make assumptions is mind boggling. And I have far more understanding and patience with it here than I do with the national media, who seem to genuinely believe they would be better decision makers than those who are being paid for it.

Personally, having Holmgren as your one serious bigmen is one hell of suicide mission, and it already nearly cost them game one. Pels coach just didnt like having his most dominant player from that game to be in the game snymore.

Holmgren, as of right now, is not a solution to what I am looking for, his weaknesses were clear. Hayward surely isnt it. So Micic was not a bust signing, they glad they signed him so they could package him AND a pick for Hayward. If thats aint bust signing, thats just s bust trade then...
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,094

Post#768 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:36 pm

UcanUwill wrote: Holmgren, as of right now, is not a solution to what I am looking for, his weaknesses were clear.

his strengths have outweighed those weaknesses all season, including in the games against the pelicans. it's also his first year after a summer of rehab. lets not pigeonhole him just yet.

UcanUwill wrote: So Micic was not a bust signing, they glad they signed him so they could package him AND a pick for Hayward. If thats aint bust signing, thats just s bust trade then...

the thunder made this trade to clear cap space next season. that's it. micic, mann and bertans all had 2024-25 salary on the books and sam presti wanted it off. gordon hayward was simply cap ballast that served as a low-risk acquisition. mann and bertans had no future on the team. i thought micic was terrific in his reserve minutes with jalen williams, but everyone should reserve judgment on that trade until sam presti and the thunder reveal what their plans are with the space they have cleared next year.

that said, the thunder should have acquired a superior backup big man who could spell chet and in some cases join him.
Slimjimzv
Junior

Post#769 » by Slimjimzv » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:50 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:

Personally, having Holmgren as your one serious bigmen is one hell of suicide mission, and it already nearly cost them game one. Pels coach just didnt like having his most dominant player from that game to be in the game snymore.

Holmgren, as of right now, is not a solution to what I am looking for, his weaknesses were clear. Hayward surely isnt it. So Micic was not a bust signing, they glad they signed him so they could package him AND a pick for Hayward. If thats aint bust signing, thats just s bust trade then...

Well, I guess I'll just continue to enjoy the team and it's growth while you continue to assume you know better than Presti. Fair enough.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,190

Post#770 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:36 pm

Not having a better back up big is a problem but that's not the reason we almost lost game 1. They rushed it so ball movement was terrible. We were the best team from 3pts during the regular season because of ability to drive and make the extra pass to Joe/Dort or whoever was open. It barely happened in game one.

We know the rebound is our weakness and while adding a better back up big could impact this a little bit, it won't change that much since Chet is gonna remain the starting Center. Trading Giddey and replacing him with a true PF might be the solution.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,571

Post#771 » by Patches Perry » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 pm

Jta444 wrote:Wtf is the homerism and hopium on this thread? Somebody really just said the Thunder and Celtics will be co-dynasties of this era?? Have the Celtics even won anything yet? Last i checked their last one was in 2008 lmao. Jrue and Horford are old and Porzingis is injury prone. Aint no dynasty there. They’re lucky Giannis got injured this year.

You're correct that future dynasty comments are usually totally premature. OKC fans of all fan bases know this after a lot of similar talk about the Durant/Westbrook/Harden team. Lots of things can happen. This is why usually the "dynasty" talk comes from non-OKC fans. We know better lol.

That said, the other teams you list are pretty much capped out. The team they have now is what they will be, more or less. OKC is intriguing because they are already #1 seed, still have lots of cap flexibility, lots of draft capital and lots of room for internal growth. It shouldn't be a surprise that many are high on their future.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,958

Post#772 » by Wolfgang630 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 pm

It’d be nice if McCollum could show up for once and the pelicans win. OKC is not some amazing team.
LaLover11
Pro Prospect
And1: 524

Post#773 » by LaLover11 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:06 pm

Does Ingram and CJ get traded for Draymond and Klay next season.... We will see lol
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,564

Post#774 » by Devilanche » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:06 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Not having a better back up big is a problem but that's not the reason we almost lost game 1. They rushed it so ball movement was terrible. We were the best team from 3pts during the regular season because of ability to drive and make the extra pass to Joe/Dort or whoever was open. It barely happened in game one.

We know the rebound is our weakness and while adding a better back up big could impact this a little bit, it won't change that much since Chet is gonna remain the starting Center. Trading Giddey and replacing him with a true PF might be the solution.

Swapping out giddey might not improve rebounding though . I believe giddey is a plus rebounder.

However there’s potential for better attack ( more spacing) and better def ( more able to guard the big spot.)

And generally if we lose to New Orleans it should be due to a combination of factors so those non Chet minutes are a factor .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,564

Post#775 » by Devilanche » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Patches Perry wrote:

You're correct that future dynasty comments are usually totally premature. OKC fans of all fan bases know this after a lot of similar talk about the Durant/Westbrook/Harden team. Lots of things can happen. This is why usually the "dynasty" talk comes from non-OKC fans. We know better lol.

That said, the other teams you list are pretty much capped out. The team they have now is what they will be, more or less. OKC is intriguing because they are already #1 seed, still have lots of cap flexibility, lots of draft capital and lots of room for internal growth. It shouldn't be a surprise that many are high on their future.

Yea painfully aware that we arent guaranteed our stars forever.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,087

Post#776 » by jkvonny » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 pm

Should be a anther great game tonite!

Pels needs to learn how to close out games.

Both young teams, but Pels has more vets and playoff experience. Possibly can steal one on the road and even it up at 1-1 before heading back to New Orleans with HCA.

Thunder, very young team and dynamic. Pretty deep team like the Pels. Take care of business at home and head to New Orleans on the road up 2-0.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,372

Post#778 » by Dirk » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:38 pm

jkvonny wrote:Should be a anther great game tonite!

Both young teams, but Pels has more vets and playoff experience. Possibly can steal one on the road and even it up at 1-1 before heading back to New Orleans with HCA.

Thunder, very young team and dynamic. Pretty deep team like the Pels. Take care of business at home and head to New Orleans on the road up 2-0.

Thunder #1 seed and Pels missing their top guy. You would think OKC will have a convincing win, otherwise we may get a topic or two about fake number see or rank worst number one seeds all tim, etc.
60/21/10
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,087

Post#779 » by jkvonny » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:18 am

Dirk wrote:
jkvonny wrote:Should be a anther great game tonite!

Thunder #1 seed and Pels missing their top guy. You would think OKC will have a convincing win, otherwise we may get a topic or two about fake number see or rank worst number one seeds all tim, etc.

Hhhmmm. I see
I just checked the Heat/Celtics game expecting a blowout win for Boston :o
But the Heat are on top of Celtics. :lol: Late in the 4th without Butler and Rozier. I get that they have coach Spo but wow, really?!

Anyhow, OKC earned their seed, they are very good. They won their games and got their seed. Beat out the elites like Denver, OKC, Clips.
Pels are not a bad team at all, even without Zion. Lakers and Kings struggled against them . NO nearly won the Southwest Division slipped away a big lead in the division (should have won it) but Ingram injury did affect them down the stretch. They have Ingram back, so it helps. But healthy Zion would be even better.

Both Pels/Thunder are young teams for the most part.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,382

Post#780 » by Funcrusher » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:42 am

Les go pels!
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.

Return to The General Board