76ers epic chokejob vs. Knicks in Game 2

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,959

Re: 76ers epic chokejob vs. Knicks in Game 2 

Post#101 » by G R E Y » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm

Hard to tell which choke job was bigger, 76ers or LAL, but both stars blamed refs hard afterwards.

Anyway, full credit to Knicks and Nuggets which is where the focus ought to go for the respective Ws.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,529

Post#102 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:18 pm

I really don’t have pity for the refs. They’ve been coddling Embiid and James their whole career, to the point that Embiid doesn’t get that one favorable call to protect him from his team’s inability to box out and he starts crying.

That’s just sad…bro is spoiled. Give the guy all the free throws and weak fouls and he’s still not satisfied
jaybiddyforeal
Rookie
And1: 1,328

Post#103 » by jaybiddyforeal » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:25 pm

Seeing the video from the baseline, there is zero percent fault on Lowry for the inbounds. It’s on time & on target to the guy you want to be shooting free throws. Maxey straight up drops it (well flings it into the air).
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,289

Post#104 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:27 pm

Live by the flop, die by the flop
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#105 » by DC_Melo » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 pm

Epic choke job is pretty hyperbolic. The chaos on the plays and number of loose balls added to the excitement, but ultimately the Knicks had the ball with 47 seconds and down five… a scenario where any team can run a two for one to make up the lead. That’s easier said than done obviously, and the team down 5 would lose in this scenario more often than not, but it wasn’t exactly a sports rarity either.

A choke job? Sure. But not much more than a small blip on the epic scale.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,485

Post#106 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:46 pm

DC_Melo wrote:Epic choke job is pretty hyperbolic. The chaos on the plays and number of loose balls added to the excitement, but ultimately the Knicks had the ball with 47 seconds and down five… a scenario where any team can run a two for one to make up the lead. That’s easier said than done obviously, and the team down 5 would lose in this scenario more often than not, but it wasn’t exactly a sports rarity either.

A choke job? Sure. But not much more than a small blip on the epic scale.

The Sixers had ball with 47.1 seconds, up 5, with another free throw.

Don't omit the last free throw from the chokejob, that one started it all off.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,905

Re: 76ers drop epic chokejob vs. Knicks in Game 2 

Post#107 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:47 pm

durden_tyler wrote:These kind of results make you just pity Joel Embiid now. LOL

12-29 from the field. Guy has to show up.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,105

Post#108 » by The-Power » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:15 pm

Capn'O wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Get the rebound or make an inbounds pass ffs.

or don’t blow a lead with 30 seconds hahahah

I mean, they've got the two best players in the series. So I've been told.

You can have the two best players and still lose in a team sport involving ten players on the court, bench players, coaching decisions, variance and more.

I'm not sure I'd personally say that the 76ers have the two best players in this series (Brunson has been better than Maxey at least during the RS and we don't know if RS-MVP Embiid shows up for any given series) but it's certainly a defensible stance to take. That in and of itself doesn't make the Knicks a worse team (in general or in the context of this series), though.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,297

Post#109 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:17 pm

Still can't believe that happened. Nurse complaining about his own f*** up is just the cherry on top :lol:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 968

Post#110 » by firedavidkahn » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:45 pm

I just thought of something...When do we start expecting Embiid to actually win and stop losing? Dude has played with stacked teams for a while now and yet Embiid has a worse play off resume then the Timberwolves (who have actually made it to a conference finals!)

When does Embiid get the empty stats label?
cgf
RealGM

Post#111 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:54 pm

firedavidkahn wrote:I just thought of something...When do we start expecting Embiid to actually win and stop losing? Dude has played with stacked teams for a while now and yet Embiid has a worse play off resume then the Timberwolves (who have actually made it to a conference finals!)

I hear what you're saying, but Embiid was the reason that game was even close enough for them to lose it late despite being limited by his injury. So it feels wrong to blame him for that loss even though he had a chance to win it if he had been able to grab that board from iHart.

Maxey's a great young #2, but that team really isn't that stacked. A 50yo Kyle Lowry or Kelly Oubre have been their third best player in this series.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

cgf
RealGM

Post#112 » by cgf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:57 pm

The-Power wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
blueNorange wrote:or don’t blow a lead with 30 seconds hahahah

I mean, they've got the two best players in the series. So I've been told.

You can have the two best players and still lose in a team sport involving ten players on the court, bench players, coaching decisions, variance and more.

I'm not sure I'd personally say that the 76ers have the two best players in this series (Brunson has been better than Maxey at least during the RS and we don't know if RS-MVP Embiid shows up for any given series) but it's certainly a defensible stance to take. That in and of itself doesn't make the Knicks a worse team (in general or in the context of this series), though.

Some philly fans got really offended that people were ranking Brunson ahead of Maxey before the games started in the series thread, and now those posters are pointing to these first two games as proof that Maxey's better :lol:

Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,682

Post#113 » by Lord Commander » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:59 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:Epic choke…you hate to see it :(

...but at the same time... :wink:
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,300

Post#114 » by XTC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:11 pm

It's crazy how much Embiid's game drops during the playoffs. I'm starting to feel bad for Philly fans.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 190

Post#115 » by 9th Wonder » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:16 pm

XTC wrote:It's crazy how much Embiid's game drops during the playoffs. I'm starting to feel bad for Philly fans.

It's often true that he underperforms in the playoffs, but it's obvious that he's limping around the court. Still, he managed 39 impactful minutes. There are lots of reasons to be upset as a Philly fan, this year and in years past, but I'm not disappointed with what Embiid has given, accounting for the circumstances.
firedavidkahn
Senior
And1: 968

Post#116 » by firedavidkahn » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:17 pm

cgf wrote:
firedavidkahn wrote:I just thought of something...When do we start expecting Embiid to actually win and stop losing? Dude has played with stacked teams for a while now and yet Embiid has a worse play off resume then the Timberwolves (who have actually made it to a conference finals!)

I hear what you're saying, but Embiid was the reason that game was even close enough for them to lose it late despite being limited by his injury. So it feels wrong to blame him for that loss even though he had a chance to win it if he had been able to grab that board from iHart.

Maxey's a great young #2, but that team really isn't that stacked. A 50yo Kyle Lowry or Kelly Oubre have been their third best player in this series.

Just trolling my man.

I won't cheer for unethical hoopers. Embiid is the biggest flopper in league history. Probably even makes Vlad jealous with what he can get away with
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,663

Post#117 » by Ice Man » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:20 pm

Yeah, Philly is pretty awful outside of Embiid and Maxey. Give Joel a ton of credit for getting them to the playoffs. Unfortunately, as always, he can't stay healthy once the playoffs start.
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#118 » by liquidswords » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:25 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:These kind of results make you just pity Joel Embiid now. LOL

lol he's literally on 1 leg. Have you not been watching the games?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,905

Post#119 » by Duffman100 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:26 pm

liquidswords wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

lol he's literally on 1 leg. Have you not been watching the games?

I have. But he's always on 1 leg at this point in the season. The excuse sort of falls flat at this point.
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 954

Post#120 » by liquidswords » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:26 pm

Was definitely a choke job but man did Maxey get manhandled twice on that final Philly possession

Return to The General Board