"Marginal Contact"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

levon
RealGM
And1: 23,369

Re: "Marginal Contact" 

Post#101 » by levon » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 pm

Darthlukey wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
WiggOuts wrote:I hope this isn't laker fans complaining that a call didn't go their way...

All while complaining about FT discrepancy, not one of you ever posted a video or bad call that backed it up.

The other team almost always shot more 3s and didnt have an AD or AR shooting in the lane the same way.

To be fair though, AR is good due to the free throws he benefits from as a laker, not the other way around. If some team is ever foolish enough to trade for him, his drop off will be huge

Austin Reaves had a 28.9% FTr this season.

If we asked you dweebs, the Lakers have never won a single legitimate game in their 77 year history. Imagine growing up and projecting the bad guy action figures onto millionaire athletes, then writing fanfiction in an online forum over it.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,886

Post#102 » by Zeno » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:17 pm

If you want refs to not call every single bit of contact a foul then you are asking them to judge whether contact is marginal or not. That is their job. In this case, their judgement is wrong. It was a foul. But people can’t honestly want refs to not call all contact a foul in live action but then when doing reviews view any and all contact a foul. They are absolutely wrong with this call but the outrage over using the term ‘marginal contact’ in general is bizarre.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,961

Post#103 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:18 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
WiggOuts wrote:I hope this isn't laker fans complaining that a call didn't go their way...

All while complaining about FT discrepancy, not one of you ever posted a video or bad call that backed it up.

The other team almost always shot more 3s and didnt have an AD or AR shooting in the lane the same way.

Ok here are 2 bad calls against Nuggets

At 2:01 DLo pushes MPJ in the act of shooting, no call
At 2:36 Reaves push-off on Reggie and 1 BS call

Satisfied

Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,178

Post#104 » by Darthlukey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:47 pm

levon wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:All while complaining about FT discrepancy, not one of you ever posted a video or bad call that backed it up.

To be fair though, AR is good due to the free throws he benefits from as a laker, not the other way around. If some team is ever foolish enough to trade for him, his drop off will be huge

Austin Reaves had a 28.9% FTr this season.

If we asked you dweebs, the Lakers have never won a single legitimate game in their 77 year history. Imagine growing up and projecting the bad guy action figures onto millionaire athletes, then writing fanfiction in an online forum over it.

I mean, name calling is hardly appropriate to the topic at hand. The lakers led the league in free throw attempts despite being last in drives to the basket. Even if you account for cutting and post ups, the massive disparity between the lakers and the next best foul drawing team is enough to cast a huge shadow of doubt over the 'fairness' with which the lakers are reffed most of the time. Of course thats not always the case, but there appears to be enough of a trend over 22/23 and 23/24 to suggest the league wants the lakers to at least make the play in
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,040

Post#105 » by ejftw » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:54 pm

I mean, I get the argument it's not an and one due to it "not affecting the shot," even if it's contradictory with three points shooters. FWIW, I don't agree with it.

But it should be a Tech, at the least, for contact above the neck.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,846

Post#106 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:54 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:

Ok here are 2 bad calls against Nuggets

At 2:01 DLo pushes MPJ in the act of shooting, no call
At 2:36 Reaves push-off on Reggie and 1 BS call

Satisfied

Dude, the point was the season long whining about laker favoritism and the league's supposed push to get the. Into the playoffs. You're posting shyt no one else thought was horrible.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,544

Post#107 » by KrAzY3 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 am

levon wrote:
KrAzY3 wrote:I think the issue is, on that play at least you can't call a shooting foul on something that happened after the shot. It was called a shooting foul right?

The Lakers were in the bonus anyway, so that would've been two free throws if it was a "loose ball" foul, which it wasn't. It was clearly a shooting foul. This is no different than when a defender blocks a shot up top but hits a defender elsewhere. It's a terrible call.

Admittedly, I don't know the review rules but I know in football for instance they are very specific. You can review a particular thing, you can challenge a particular thing, but not necessarily anything else that transpired.

I don't completely know the rules, but if I get hit when I don't have the ball, that's a foul but it isn't necessarily a shooting foul. There is no question he no longer had the ball right? So may be there is an actual expert who can chime in, but the rule book says "in the act of shooting", which i generally take to mean during the shot, not after. If it was called a shooting foul on the floor, and reviewed as such, I can see it being overturned because to my understanding he was not in the act of shooting and the challenge was to a in the act of shooting foul correct?

I'm not saying that's how it should be, but precisely how long after a shot is contact still a shooting foul? The rule book doesn't say as far as I saw, just "in the act of shooting".
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,661

Post#108 » by Ice Man » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:24 pm

I think the term is "incidental contact," and yeah the referees need to start calling those plays as fouls.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,791

Post#109 » by G35 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:28 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:We all saw the hit to the face on a Lakers player that got reversed because it was "Marginal Contact". I've never seen this before during a regular season game I don't think, especially when the player is hit in the face. Is this a regular thing, or only during the playoffs?

Read on Twitter
?t=pckIFpP2Ym0KNObfi7ipoQ&s=19

Isn't it interesting how some fans and players want the rules to be enforced to the letter on some things but traveling...double-dribbling...palming the ball...hand checking...no those rules shouldn't be enforced that strictly...for you know entertainment reasons.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,277

Post#110 » by stuporman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:04 pm

I've heard someone can get thrown out of a strip club for marginal contact...I wouldn't know personally, but I've heard it.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,889

Post#111 » by NZB2323 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:39 pm

kingr wrote:Absolutely ridiculous. We can bump, and then slap a person in their face while they're in the air (as long as the ball is released)... But shooters have to be able to land.

Shooters can get injured while trying to land.

I don’t understand the outrage. The ball was released and he didn’t get hit hard. It’s the playoffs.

Technically it is a foul, but technically players carry the ball and travel on every possession, and there are moving screens on every possession.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,889

Post#112 » by NZB2323 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:40 pm

stuporman wrote:I've heard someone can get thrown out of a strip club for marginal contact...I wouldn't know personally, but I've heard it.

Depends on the strip club.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,277

Post#113 » by stuporman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:44 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
stuporman wrote:I've heard someone can get thrown out of a strip club for marginal contact...I wouldn't know personally, but I've heard it.

Depends on the strip club.

Do they provide a two minute report with video evidence as well? Ooof
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,714

Post#114 » by kingr » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:01 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
kingr wrote:Absolutely ridiculous. We can bump, and then slap a person in their face while they're in the air (as long as the ball is released)... But shooters have to be able to land.

Shooters can get injured while trying to land.

I don’t understand the outrage. The ball was released and he didn’t get hit hard. It’s the playoffs.

Technically it is a foul, but technically players carry the ball and travel on every possession, and there are moving screens on every possession.

A person getting slapped in the face while in mid air can't lead to an injury?
LaLover11
Pro Prospect
And1: 525

Post#115 » by LaLover11 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:07 pm

Where's Dwight to give Marginal contact to Jokic on his post up possessions lol
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 338

Post#116 » by reddyplayerone » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:11 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Lakers are losing their minds that the refs didn't gift them a win LOL

It's a clear foul. Since when could you hit a shooter across the face?

If they're wearing a purple and gold jersey with "Lakers" across the chest you can do whatever cause the Lakers are bad and evil and anything bad that happens to them is justified simply by their existence
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#117 » by Onus » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 pm

G35 wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:We all saw the hit to the face on a Lakers player that got reversed because it was "Marginal Contact". I've never seen this before during a regular season game I don't think, especially when the player is hit in the face. Is this a regular thing, or only during the playoffs?

Read on Twitter
?t=pckIFpP2Ym0KNObfi7ipoQ&s=19

Isn't it interesting how some fans and players want the rules to be enforced to the letter on some things but traveling...double-dribbling...palming the ball...hand checking...no those rules shouldn't be enforced that strictly...for you know entertainment reasons.....

Seems consistent to me. Whacking people in the face as a follow through is marginal contact in the regular season, should be the same in the playoffs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-says-domas-hitting-steph-235132200.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,764

Post#118 » by GameOver25 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 pm

Adam Silver's league.
But you can't even stare at a jump shooter or it's a "FOUL"!.
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,052

Post#119 » by Drakeem » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:22 pm

Yeah, that's a foul. You can say what you want about it being AFTER the shot, but your motion into the foul also made the shot harder. The contest before the contact with the face is part of the fouls effect IMO.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,846

Post#120 » by Marrrcuss » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:24 pm

Onus wrote:Seems consistent to me. Whacking people in the face as a follow through is marginal contact in the regular season, should be the same in the playoffs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-says-domas-hitting-steph-235132200.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Is this what you meant, GSW fan?

Return to The General Board