A fun Jokic playoff stat...

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,472

A fun Jokic playoff stat... 

Post#1 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,531

Re: A fun Jokic playoff stat... 

Post#2 » by Mrakar » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:13 am

Not getting that 4th MVP in a row is pissing me more and more off.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
OverAndOut
Junior
And1: 593

Post#3 » by OverAndOut » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 am

Mrakar wrote:Not getting that 4th MVP in a row is pissing me more and more off.

I love how mostly outside of PHI fans and Jokic haters, you always see a ton of comments on here and other platforms calling him the 3x MVP, soon to be 4x MVP. They know.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,781

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:41 am

He’s the best offensive player I’ve ever seen. He really is the first player that I’ve seen without a flaw in his game. He truly excels in every aspect on the offensive end
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,937

Post#5 » by picc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:45 am

Duke4life831 wrote:He’s the best offensive player I’ve ever seen. He really is the first player that I’ve seen without a flaw in his game. He truly excels in every aspect on the offensive end

I really can't think of anything he doesn't do at a superstar level. Either on or off the ball. In the paint or on the perimeter.

It's really some video game create-a-player type stuff. Pretty remarkable. I'm legitimately shocked when he makes a mistake and I can't think of any player I've ever thought that about.

Great rebounder.

Above average defensive player.

If he was like a 3rd team all defense type player the greatest peak title would be pretty easy. Good for the rest of the NBA that he isn't. Small victory that it is.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,033

Post#6 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 am

Eh, if he could jump and play defense like AD it might mess up his deceptively smooth shot and post game. I like him this way, playing that solid defense based on strength and positioning.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:53 am

picc wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:He’s the best offensive player I’ve ever seen. He really is the first player that I’ve seen without a flaw in his game. He truly excels in every aspect on the offensive end

I really can't think of anything he doesn't do at an superstar level. Either on or off the ball. In the paint or on the perimeter.

It's really some video game create-a-player type stuff. Pretty remarkable. I'm legitimately shocked when he makes a mistake and I can't think of any player I've ever thought that about.

Great rebounder.

Above average defensive player.

If he was like a 3rd team all defense type player the greatest peak title would be pretty easy. Good for the rest of the NBA that he isn't. Small victory that it is.

Yup. He’s elite from the low post. Elite from the mid range. Career 41% from 3 in the playoffs. Elite facilitator. Elite rebounder. Touches the ball a ton, but doesn’t dominate the ball where teammates just stand around and watch.

He can counter any kind of defense you throw at him. And because of that, no individual defender can even slow him down.

He truly doesn’t have a flaw in his offensive game. And it’s not like he’s a jack of all trades and master of none. He’s a master of all trades and Jack of none.

And ya he’s even turned himself into an above average defender.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 am

tmorgan wrote:Eh, if he could jump and play defense like AD it might mess up his deceptively smooth shot and post game. I like him this way, playing that solid defense based on strength and positioning.

Plus I will add, I think this helps with his disability. The dude rarely jumps and has no hard cuts in his game. His style of play is probably so much easier on his body compared to most other explosive players (except for all the cuts on the arms haha)
picc
RealGM

Post#9 » by picc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Yup. He’s elite from the low post. Elite from the mid range. Career 41% from 3 in the playoffs. Elite facilitator. Elite rebounder. Touches the ball a ton, but doesn’t dominate the ball where teammates just stand around and watch.

He can counter any kind of defense you throw at him. And because of that, no individual defender can even slow him down.

He truly doesn’t have a flaw in his offensive game. And it’s not like he’s a jack of all trades and master of none. He’s a master of all trades and Jack of none.

He was bullying AD in the post like one would imagine Shaq would. Its easy to forget he can do that too, when he's also in the mid-post being Larry Bird, at the wing being Lebron, on the break being Magic, behind the arc being Dirk, and rolling or popping like Karl Malone. I was watching it like "oh yeah, I forgot he's also Shaq."

Idk. He feels inevitable at this point as long as there's decent support around.
picc
RealGM

Post#10 » by picc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 am

tmorgan wrote:Eh, if he could jump and play defense like AD it might mess up his deceptively smooth shot and post game. I like him this way, playing that solid defense based on strength and positioning.

He doesn't have to jump around like AD. I was imagining a Marc Gasol type defender. Lumbering and ground-based but extremely IQ oriented with great instincts.

Jokic could easily have Marc Gasol type defense and retain his current body. And if he did, it wouldn't be worth playing the season.
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,775

Post#11 » by Peregrine01 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 am

picc wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Yup. He’s elite from the low post. Elite from the mid range. Career 41% from 3 in the playoffs. Elite facilitator. Elite rebounder. Touches the ball a ton, but doesn’t dominate the ball where teammates just stand around and watch.

He was bullying AD in the post like one would imagine Shaq would. Its easy to forget he can do that too, when he's also in the mid-post being Larry Bird, at the wing being Lebron, on the break being Magic, behind the arc being Dirk, and rolling or popping like Karl Malone. I was watching it like "oh yeah, I forgot he's also Shaq."

Idk. He feels inevitable at this point as long as there's decent support around.

The great thing about Jokic is that he knew how important it was for Murray to bounce back from a horrid performance so he kept going to him even though he was scoring on AD at will and AD had 5 fouls. I've had an inkling that if there's a weakness the guy has it's that sometimes he gets too passive. But the dude uplifts his teammates in ways few others have.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:07 am

picc wrote:

Ya at the end of the game when he knew they needed good shots. He just turned into Shaq haha. Just decided, okay now it’s time to just flat out dominate one of the best big man defenders in the last decade. And he did it with ease.

That is when I dropped the “we’re not worthy” gif in the game thread. We’re no doubt watching an all time great in the middle of his prime. It’s a thing of beauty to watch.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,403

Post#13 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:08 am

True winner. all the odds stacked against him but he and his running mate Murray figured a way to get it done

Instead of making excuses like Embiid
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 782

Post#14 » by Gatorade Sax » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:49 am

He is as close to a basketball robot that I’ve ever seen.

Half expect his eye sight when he’s on court is similar to The Terminator..
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,033

Post#15 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:53 am

picc wrote:

He doesn't have to jump around like AD. I was imagining a Marc Gasol type defender. Lumbering and ground-based but extremely IQ oriented with great instincts.

Jokic could easily have Marc Gasol type defense and retain his current body. And if he did, it wouldn't be worth playing the season.

Eh. Even though Gasol had some responsibility as a high post passer, set shooter from the perimeter, and occasional post threat, he didn’t carry even half the responsibility Jokic does on offense. I have no doubt Jokic could play harder on defense, particularly during the regular season, but to what end? More injuries? Less offensive responsibility? That would suck for the Nuggets.
picc
RealGM

Post#16 » by picc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:01 am

tmorgan wrote:
picc wrote:

Eh. Even though Gasol had some responsibility as a high post passer, set shooter from the perimeter, and occasional post threat, he didn’t carry even half the responsibility Jokic does on offense. I have no doubt Jokic could play harder on defense, particularly during the regular season, but to what end? More injuries? Less offensive responsibility? That would suck for the Nuggets.

If you're trying to argue it would be physically impossible for a player to have massive offensive responsibility and also play elite defense, I just disagree. It's not true. Many have done it and many will do it.

My post was hypothetical anyway and more of a thought experiment about how good he is anyway.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,725

Post#17 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:12 am

Ι'm starting to suspect that we maybe we just don't know that he can't jump. Maybe he can but he chooses not to so he doesn't mess with his shooting mechanics and his balance and positioning on D
LOL
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 304

Post#18 » by Rishkar » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:07 am

Pachinko_ wrote:Ι'm starting to suspect that we maybe we just don't know that he can't jump. Maybe he can but he chooses not to so he doesn't mess with his shooting mechanics and his balance and positioning on D
LOL

I noticed this more with his rebounding, he always has the first step on most players because he doesn't jump, and can immediately start carving out position (especially on his own shots)
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,903

Post#19 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:08 am

Around 16-18 years ago, I used to say similar thing about Nash. Not that Nash was GOAT offensive player, but I thought he was best at that time. On paper, Nash simply did everything good on offense, beside like offensive rebounds or something. Jokic is like Nash, but instead of being 6'2 or 6'3, he is almost 7 feet tall and also very strong.

Really is crazy how these unicorn players just exist now, it does remind me of guys I did create in NBA LIVE back then. Wembanyama is ultimate example of that, but Jokic is also crazy. Basically take Steve Nash from NBA LIVE 2006, make him 6'11, retain all his ability sliders, but also make him very strong, good rebounder and even boost his defense a bit.... S** crazy, 20 years ago that player could only exist in video game.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,903

Post#20 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 am

Pachinko_ wrote:Ι'm starting to suspect that we maybe we just don't know that he can't jump. Maybe he can but he chooses not to so he doesn't mess with his shooting mechanics and his balance and positioning on D
LOL

If you are very tall and have high release point, shooting without even jumping is kind off a good thing I think, because it is way harder for defenders to know are you shooting or are you faking.

I remember thinking this of Jonas. It was impossible to tell is young Jonas is shooting of doing a pump fake, it feeled like Jonas himself wouldnt know that until the last second.
Of course, Jonas never developed as good as Jokic, but he did develop a stupid habit of pump faking all the time, so now everyone knows he is pump faking, because he doesn't mix it up, but yeah, young Jonas had that boots on the ground shot where hell knows what hes about to do.

Return to The General Board