What was the Lakers obsession with keeping Austin Reaves?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,863

What was the Lakers obsession with keeping Austin Reaves? 

Post#1 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:13 am

There were reports AR was untouchable unless it was for a star player. It was clear watching him all season he wasn't the same player from last season. He repeatedly gets torched on defense and his offense has took a step back. I get his contract is pretty decent for his production, but the hype seems crazy for such little production. I feel they missed a chance to cash in on him at the trade deadline. Dlo has become the clear 3rd option for the Lakers this season.

Why have the Lakers overvalued Austin Reaves?
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,114

Re: What was the Lakers obsession with keeping Austin Reaves? 

Post#2 » by Wallace_Wallace » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:23 am

He's very much like CJ McCollum, and that's not an insult.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,661

Post#3 » by Jcity08 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:40 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:He's very much like CJ McCollum, and that's not an insult.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,428

Post#4 » by ChipotleWest » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:43 am

For what he's being paid a little over 13 million dollars a year you probably won't find a better scorer. He averaged 15 ppg during the season Tim Hardaway Jr. makes 18 mil and scored 14 ppg but was less efficient. Reeves 48% from the floor Hardaway 40% from the floor. Just as an example. The reason Reeves would be hard to trade for a better player is his contract. Good players make way more, in the example I just gave a worse player makes quite a bit more.

With Dlo and Reeves it's sorta like you've got two 3rd options. I'd take either on the Mavs over Hardaway. We top heavy as F***.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,965

Post#5 » by durden_tyler » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:45 am

At that price, you always choose to keep him. It's the expectation of fans that's doing him in. He's a good-to-great role player. Nothing more, nothing less.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,802

Post#6 » by infintybeyond » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 am

Reaves is playing really good solid defense on Murray considering he repeatedly gets torched on defense. For a non defender, he is doing great on Murray as the primary defender. He is not getting burned bad or often. He is in good position and contesting shots. He is playing really really good defense for a non defender. DEN runs a ton of actions with Murray and Reaves is there. The bad part is that he is exerting all of his energy on defense. The LAL don't have anyone else and Reaves surprisingly has held his own on defense.

Reaves is the LAL best defender on Murray which is crazy to say because he repeatedly gets torched. I would criticize him for his lack of production but he's playing great defense.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,199

Post#7 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:49 am

He Is HIm
Bring back Defense
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,046

Post#8 » by tmorgan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:50 am

infintybeyond wrote:Reaves is playing really good solid defense on Murray considering he repeatedly gets torched on defense. For a non defender, he is doing great on Murray as the primary defender. He is not getting burned bad or often. He is in good position and contesting shots. He is playing really really good defense for a non defender. DEN runs a ton of actions with Murray and Reaves is there. The bad part is that he is exerting all of his energy on defense. The LAL don't have anyone else and Reaves surprisingly has held his own on defense.

Reaves is the LAL best defender on Murray which is crazy to say because he repeatedly gets torched. I would criticize him for his lack of production but he's playing great defense.

Good lord, man. You need to see someone about downgrading your Ritalin prescription.

Valid point point point, though.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,199

Post#9 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:51 am

infintybeyond wrote:Reaves is the LAL best defender on Murray which is crazy to say because he repeatedly gets torched. I would criticize him for his lack of production but he's playing great defense.

People don't watch the defense part, he also getting hammered a lot on the defensive end, that takes a toll on you

The thing I'm peed the most IS DLO, watch him on Defense compared to Reaves LOL
Bring back Defense
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#10 » by Up-And-Coming » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:52 am

Reaves 61.9 TS % in the regular season and averaged 17 4.4 and 4.6 in last playoffs on elite efficiency and he's only in his 3rd season locked in on a good contract. He had a decent game 1 and a sub-par game 2 this playoffs but I have to give him the benefit of doubt that he'll at least pick it up in the next few games. I feel like game 2 was a must-win in order to advance to the next round but I think he'll at least reach his averages throughout the rest of the series. It seems like he's not chasing his shot as much and allowing D'Angelo to be more aggressive and take more of the shots.
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,375

Post#11 » by Tottery » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:55 am

It's the contract. Who else are you going to get that is better for that same contract? That said, if you can bundle him with some bums for an All Star level player, you should probably do it.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,672

Post#12 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:01 am

Reaves is actually in a tough spot against Denver. Every defensive player they put on him is longer and more athletic (whether it's Murray, KCP, MPJ, Braun or Watson). Reaves tends to feast against guys who can't challenge his shot. He also does really well in the middle of the paint, just below the free throw line. How many of those shots has he gotten in this series? It has to be less than five. He's been regulated to being a spotup shooter by the Lakers offensive game plan, while also being asked to chase Murray or KCP off screens. No one wants to give him credit, but usually he is a horrific defender. Well, in two games, he's guarded his ass off.

It stands to reason that the Nuggets just are a bad matchup for the Lakers due to personnel. If they were playing Minnesota right now, I have no doubt the Lakers would run multiple actions/switches to get Mike Conley on Reaves.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,642

Post#13 » by Revived » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:17 am

Caruso withdrawal.
infintybeyond
Rookie
And1: 1,802

Post#14 » by infintybeyond » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:24 am

SlimShady83 wrote:
infintybeyond wrote:Reaves is the LAL best defender on Murray which is crazy to say because he repeatedly gets torched. I would criticize him for his lack of production but he's playing great defense.

People don't watch the defense part, he also getting hammered a lot on the defensive end, that takes a toll on you

The thing I'm peed the most IS DLO, watch him on Defense compared to Reaves LOL

I'm watching. The gap between the two is like night and day on both offense and defense.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#15 » by meekrab » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 am

I think they saw his .687 TS% and .541 FTr last season and thought they were real.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,908

Post#16 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:54 am

Altho he has been disappointing, at least to me, very much so, he is still one of the very few long term good assets the Lakers actually have. I respect the management for sticking to what is valuable, instead of submitting to preassure from LeBrons camp, and trading everything for short sighted benefit. All LeBrons teams, including the Lakers, have done if too much. West is not wild open right now, LeBron wants to compete, but you do not always get what you wish.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,742

Post#17 » by naabzor » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:06 am

He is what it is what i don't understand is why is AD, LBJ and DLO defers to this guy in crunch time?
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 254

Post#18 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:15 am

JustBuzzin wrote:There were reports AR was untouchable unless it was for a star player. It was clear watching him all season he wasn't the same player from last season. He repeatedly gets torched on defense and his offense has took a step back. I get his contract is pretty decent for his production, but the hype seems crazy for such little production. I feel they missed a chance to cash in on him at the trade deadline. Dlo has become the clear 3rd option for the Lakers this season.

Why have the Lakers overvalued Austin Reaves?
He's a fan favorite and is on a bargain contract, which makes him an untouchable. Steph is a fan favorite for the Warriors which makes him an untouchable even tho he is overpaid now that he's past his prime.

I would trade Dlo since he has a player option for next season only.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,152

Post#19 » by zimpy27 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:17 am

Pelinka has quotes on tht that were about pride that they drafted him and would therefore pay him and hold him at all costs. an ego thing.

Reaves prob similar
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,523

Post#20 » by elchengue20 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 am

Should trade him for a Caruso type of guard. Letting him go was a huge mistake.

Lakers need more than anything an athletic elite point of attack defender that doesnt sucks on offense. They need more 2 way players. Reaves is nice but its redundant with Rusell.

They should trade Reaves who has more value because of his age and contract and resign DLo.

Return to The General Board