What was the Lakers obsession with keeping Austin Reaves?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,510

Re: What was the Lakers obsession with keeping Austin Reaves? 

Post#21 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:54 am

Same reason that THT was untouchable...Lakers over value their role players tremendously.

Unfortunately the Bulls over value all of their players way worse so I have nothing to talk about here....
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,181

Post#22 » by donnieme » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:56 am

After undervaluing KCP and Caruso I think the Lakers are wiser about writing off any player that can have a good postseason. Don't go blowing up rosters because they played poorly the one series. It's a slump all roleplayers go through.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,283

Post#23 » by Godymas » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 am

because he’s very valuable role player and the Lakers already made colossal mistakes with their guys letting Caruso walk, trading away KCP, etc.

A bit of overcompensation due to past errors
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,847

Post#24 » by Marrrcuss » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:49 pm

Spoiler:
Any racial aspects to it?

Don't do it!
- ccs
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#25 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:51 pm

elchengue20 wrote:Should trade him for a Caruso type of guard. Letting him go was a huge mistake.

Lakers need more than anything an athletic elite point of attack defender that doesnt sucks on offense. They need more 2 way players. Reaves is nice but its redundant with Rusell.

They should trade Reaves who has more value because of his age and contract and resign DLo.

Gabe and Dinwiddie are Caruso types but you want another Lol. I would trade Dlo who is the worst defensive guard on the team instead of paying him the max like you want. AR would be my untouchable for being a fan favorite who even try to play defense unlike some.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,524

Post#26 » by elchengue20 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:01 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Should trade him for a Caruso type of guard. Letting him go was a huge mistake.

Lakers need more than anything an athletic elite point of attack defender that doesnt sucks on offense. They need more 2 way players. Reaves is nice but its redundant with Rusell.

They should trade Reaves who has more value because of his age and contract and resign DLo.

Gabe and Dinwiddie are Caruso types but you want another Lol. I would trade Dlo who is the worst defensive guard on the team instead of paying him the max like you want. AR would be my untouchable for being a fan favorite who even try to play defense unlike some.

Dinwiddie sucks, can't play.

Gabe has played like 8 games all season brother. Also isn't on Caruso level defensively.

I obviously rather keep Reaves than DLo, but if you want to improve the roster, the player with value you can trade is Reaves because of his age/contract.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,109

Post#27 » by Lalouie » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:10 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:There were reports AR was untouchable unless it was for a star player. It was clear watching him all season he wasn't the same player from last season. He repeatedly gets torched on defense and his offense has took a step back. I get his contract is pretty decent for his production, but the hype seems crazy for such little production. I feel they missed a chance to cash in on him at the trade deadline. Dlo has become the clear 3rd option for the Lakers this season.

Why have the Lakers overvalued Austin Reaves?

nobody's trading a "star" for reaves
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:23 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

Dinwiddie sucks, can't play.

Gabe has played like 8 games all season brother. Also isn't on Caruso level defensively.

I obviously rather keep Reaves than DLo, but if you want to improve the roster, the player with value you can trade is Reaves because of his age/contract.
Even though I disagree on your assessment that neither Gabe and Dinwiddie is as good defensively as Caruso as the defensive metrics this past season does not compare to Gabe last season since I couldn't use this season as he been injured. And why couldn't you suggest that player by name who you think is a Caruso type?!?

Unless you named that player or two, then I guess me comparing him to Gabe is valid which is even generous on my part.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 pm

Lalouie wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:There were reports AR was untouchable unless it was for a star player. It was clear watching him all season he wasn't the same player from last season. He repeatedly gets torched on defense and his offense has took a step back. I get his contract is pretty decent for his production, but the hype seems crazy for such little production. I feel they missed a chance to cash in on him at the trade deadline. Dlo has become the clear 3rd option for the Lakers this season.

I would trade Trea for AR plus Rui and Vandy. No picks needed.

AR and Murray would make a smart back court duo.

Trea and Dlo would have fun playing defense together Lol
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,199

Post#30 » by SlimShady83 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 pm

Lalouie wrote:

What Lakers meant by the means of trading Reaves was - We're only trading Reaves for a star, this didn't mean a straight up deal that's never gonna happen, but Including other players and pics etc teams would consider It - Lakers have 3 pic and I think something like 5 2nd round pics so who knows anything can happen In the NBA, But no team would trade a star player for Reaves straight up, It would have to be a package deal of some sort :)
Bring back Defense
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,889

Post#31 » by NZB2323 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:34 pm

Last year the Lakers had the best record in the league after they traded Westbrook and Reaves got more playing time and then they made it to the WCF.

Would the Lakers be better if they let him walk? No.

Also, it not like teams were offering Jokic, Luka, and SGA for Reaves. I don’t know what kind of player the Lakers could have got for him. Maybe Alex Caruso?
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#32 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:43 pm

A few things.

1. Regret over letting Caruso go. The team didn't want to repeat that mistake by letting their newest diamond in the rough walk for nothing.

2. His contract is really cheap relative to production. Hard to find a better bargain. Also hard to flip him for an equal player because someone on his level would need LAL to add salary to match.

3. In theory LAL is a third star away from contention. Reaves was their best shot at that if he took another big step forward.

I also doubt the offers LAL were receiving in deal centered around Reaves + picks were actually that good. Maybe they could have gotten Siakim, after adding another couple role players to match salary, but then their depth would be shot and they'd have no control over their future 1sts until the 2030s. If the team wasn't going to get a major upgrade it didn't make sense to send out one of their best and most affordable players.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,714

Post#33 » by kingr » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:59 pm

Reaves is on a good contract. I don't think they did wrong keeping him at all. He had a good season last year.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,298

Post#34 » by Frank Dux » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:30 pm

He’s a fan favorite on a team friendly contract. I think a lot of Laker fans are tired of seeing home grown talent get shipped out for washed up vets.

I think there’s a lot of value in keeping high effort guys like Reaves.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:A few things.

1. Regret over letting Caruso go. The team didn't want to repeat that mistake by letting their newest diamond in the rough walk for nothing.

2. His contract is really cheap relative to production. Hard to find a better bargain. Also hard to flip him for an equal player because someone on his level would need LAL to add salary to match.

3. In theory LAL is a third star away from contention. Reaves was their best shot at that if he took another big step forward.

I also doubt the offers LAL were receiving in deal centered around Reaves + picks were actually that good. Maybe they could have gotten Siakim, after adding another couple role players to match salary, but then their depth would be shot and they'd have no control over their future 1sts until the 2030s. If the team wasn't going to get a major upgrade it didn't make sense to send out one of their best and most affordable players.
Exactly which makes him an untouchable. In my book, he is their 2nd chance Caruso and if they trade him, it will be the biggest mistake since Caruso. Some posters just repeat mistakes over and over again like many teams do. Lakers are smart to prevent this from happening ever again by keeping AR backed by their 2 superstars.

Even the Bulls ask for AR when the Lakers ask what it would take to get Caruso back Lol.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,276

Post#36 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:14 pm

At 14 million a year, you cant understand why they would want to keep him?

That is a bargain for what he provides.

AR may have gotten overhyped, but he is still a 61% TS player while being a quality secondary playmaker (5.5 apg to 2.1 to).
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,858

Post#37 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 pm

He's Taylor Swift's next and that's merch gold.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.

sixers4real wrote:Okay, GB, I hate you, but I’m bored.
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,440

Post#38 » by phanman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:46 pm

He's an efficient role player on a bargain contract who meshes in well with the two core building blocks in Bron and AD. It isn't all that difficult to see why the Lakers value him so highly and want to keep him around. Like others have mentioned in the thread, it's not like there is some sort of god father offer out there trying to poach Reaves from LA.

The issue with the team is that him and D'Lo is they are similar offensively with the need to have the ball in their hands while also being below average defenders. Coupled that with a 39yo LeBron who is prone to having defensive lapses himself, and you can see the issue with the team. You'd like to see the 3pt% be a little bit higher, but it is what it is.
LaLover11
Pro Prospect
And1: 525

Post#39 » by LaLover11 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:58 pm

phanman wrote:He's an efficient role player on a bargain contract who meshes in well with the two core building blocks in Bron and AD. It isn't all that difficult to see why the Lakers value him so highly and want to keep him around. Like others have mentioned in the thread, it's not like there is some sort of god father offer out there trying to poach Reaves from LA.

The issue with the team is that him and D'Lo is they are similar offensively with the need to have the ball in their hands while also being below average defenders. Coupled that with a 39yo LeBron who is prone to having defensive lapses himself, and you can see the issue with the team. You'd like to see the 3pt% be a little bit higher, but it is what it is.

They need to trade either D Lo or Reaves
If they could get a Trey Murphy 3rd or Dort type player
It would really help with the guard defense
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,628

Post#40 » by NCHeels2008 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:34 pm

Yea DLo's improvement has been bad for Reaves as they are a bit redundant in terms of size and needing the ball offensively to maximize their play. I'd like to see Reaves as aggressively offensively as he was last year but with Vando out especially, the Lakers can't afford to see D'Lo go into a mental shell again. I hope the Lakers can find a way to get bigger and transition D'Lo to 6th man but absent that I think Reaves development may stagnate until one of the higher usage guys (D'Lo or LeBron) leaves.

Return to The General Board