Lakers epic chokejob vs. Nuggets in Game 2

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,301

Re: Lakers epic chokejob vs. Nuggets in Game 2 

Post#21 » by Frank Dux » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:47 pm

I don’t think it was a choke job. The Nuggets have the same aura as the Warriors at their best. When they decide to turn it on, good luck because nothing is stopping them.
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,145

Post#22 » by art_tatum » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 pm

iono if it's a chokejob when the lakers best player was put in foul trouble in the 2nd half which then helped the nuggets go on a run bc the lakers offense ground to a halt + AD is the lakers best defender.

team chokes are like
the spurs allowing TMAC to drop 13 points in 33secs.
or player choke jobs like lebron 2011 finals

but lakers should be embarrassed they truly are denvers .... as their coach would say.
2 top 15/20 players one of whom in contention for GOAT and a decent supporting cast especially with dlo going 7/10 from 3's.
getting spanked 10 times in a row.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,998

Post#23 » by picc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:29 pm

I appreciate and even encourage the pettiness of making this thread, but its not the same as the Sixers game.

I actually do think it was a choke even though its Denver and it happened over longer time, but there are levels to this ish. Sixers choke was epic. Michelin star level. This was like, a regular, Outback steakhouse choke.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,494

Post#24 » by nbafan38 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:48 pm

I agree with the general sentiment the 76ers choked. The lakers got outexecuted by a champion. Theres a difference.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,121

Post#25 » by DonaldSanders » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:53 pm

picc wrote:I appreciate and even encourage the pettiness of making this thread, but its not the same as the Sixers game.

I actually do think it was a choke even though its Denver and it happened over longer time, but there are levels to this ish. Sixers choke was epic. Michelin star level. This was like, a regular, Outback steakhouse choke.

Agreed. It wasn't some horrific last minute collapse, but when a team goes -12 in the 4th after being up at 15 at halftime, that's a choke. The Lakers have 2 players that should be perfect for a slower paced game, yet found a way to lose a gigantic lead in the 2nd half.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,967

Re: Lakers epic chokejob vs Nuggets in Game 2 

Post#26 » by Exp0sed » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:43 pm

kingr wrote:I don't think it was a choke. It was a blown lead with AD in foul trouble in the 3rd q. Denver played much better in the 2nd half and it was back and forth in the 4th quarter. Great plays by both teams. 76ers lost a 2 possession lead in like 10 seconds.

AD was gassed anyway, he got subbed out after his 4th foul in the 3rd but there were only a couple of min left to play in the 3rd, doesn't he get subbed out after 8 mins anyway?

AD was hitting all his shots from the post but he didn't have a great game aside from that
11 reb with only 1 offensive rebound in 39 mins isn't enough for a phsyical specimen like AD, 2 assists with 4 turnovers and 5 personal fouls

Nuggets knew he'd miss them when it counts

here's the thing, Jokic knows he has to stay on the floor so AD can always get those shot rather comfortably in the post, Jokic isn't going to play him too close or reach in, he knows the Lakers won't beat them with AD taking contested 2's from the post or the FT line, even if was hitting them in this one like he's automatic - he isn't

his jumper is more Bam than Chris Bosh :)

and vice versa, Ham can try to go to single coverage on Jokic with AD but Jokic is going to take it too him, be fairly effective scoring and pin fouls on AD

in single coverage he will be in foul trouble every game..
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,299

Post#27 » by tamaraw08 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:22 pm

DLoMor wrote:Don’t get why 76ers get a thread but the Lakers don’t when they choked even harder. Blew a 20 point lead, disgusting.

I missed the game because I’m currently vacationing in Asia, so please kindly enlighten me. Did the Lakers just score like 15 points and committed 12 turnovers in the 4th quarter and lose to the Pistons?
Is Denver that bad that they don’t deserve some credit for hitting their shots in the final 18 minutes of the game? Weren’t they the current defending champs that lost 2 playoff games last year?
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,390

Post#28 » by Dr Aki » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:46 pm

It's a definite choke, but it's pretty much how every game between Denver and the Nuggets go.

When the going gets tough, Nuggets stay disciplined, Lakers lose their discipline.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,787

Post#29 » by Upperclass » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:21 am

Nuggets walked them down to a reasonable deficit by the end of the 3rd.. if it was 15+ the game was over.. they win in the margins better than any team in recent history.. Lakers didnt choke they ran out of gas
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,226

Post#30 » by Rust_Cohle » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:23 am

UcanUwill wrote:20 point leads come and go all the time in the NBA nowadays. Losing 6 point lead with 30 seconds remaining however, is an achievement.

You don’t say? 2013 still hurts but thank god for 2014
JDJ26
Junior
And1: 499

Post#31 » by JDJ26 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:25 am

Dr Aki wrote:It's a definite choke, but it's pretty much how every game between Denver and the Nuggets go.

When the going gets tough, Nuggets stay disciplined, Lakers lose their discipline.

Who is the woman in your avatar?
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,519

Post#32 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 am

THE J0KER wrote:The Lakers prove they are the only team in the NBA with 2 TOP10 players, but after losing 10 games in a row vs the Nuggets it is obvious they have some serious mental/mindset issues vs Denver. No way they will choke a game of this importance vs any other team after a +20 lead in the 2nd half, while on the other hand, Denver is obviously superconfident playing against them. They should lose Pells to escape the Nuggets this playoff 1st round, I'm pretty sure the Lakers would break already OKC.

OKC are the biggest frauds imo.

Lakers dispose of them in 5
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,847

Post#33 » by Marrrcuss » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:30 am

Upperclass wrote:Nuggets walked them down to a reasonable deficit by the end of the 3rd.. if it was 15+ the game was over.. they win in the margins better than any team in recent history.. Lakers didnt choke they ran out of gas

Makes sense, but the wording is not damaging enough for their liking, lol
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 261

Post#34 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:47 am

DLoMor wrote:Don’t get why 76ers get a thread but the Lakers don’t when they choked even harder. Blew a 20 point lead, disgusting.
It's not a choke when it's against the defending champions. Losing 9 straight is not choking but domination. Being exhausted from playing in attitude is not choking!!!!!

Nuggets decided to choke for most of game 2 until the end to win it like true champions do!

The Sixers ending was a big time choke!
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 am

Jaqua92 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:The Lakers prove they are the only team in the NBA with 2 TOP10 players, but after losing 10 games in a row vs the Nuggets it is obvious they have some serious mental/mindset issues vs Denver. No way they will choke a game of this importance vs any other team after a +20 lead in the 2nd half, while on the other hand, Denver is obviously superconfident playing against them. They should lose Pells to escape the Nuggets this playoff 1st round, I'm pretty sure the Lakers would break already OKC.

OKC are too young and inexperienced to win now, not frauds.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,787

Post#36 » by Upperclass » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:58 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:

OKC are too young and inexperienced to win now, not frauds.

OKC will prob win game 2 by 25.. theyre the 2nd best team in the West
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#37 » by Dr Aki » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:58 am

JDJ26 wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:It's a definite choke, but it's pretty much how every game between Denver and the Nuggets go.

WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:58 am

JDJ26 wrote:

That's Jeremy Lin's gf when he was with the Knicks. She dumped him after he left.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by WentzerWuver » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:04 am

Dr Aki wrote:
JDJ26 wrote:

Can you make an avatar of Harden stirring the pot and send it to me for my profile. Thx bud!

https://youtu.be/KtbQPZMLX70?si=-_pTOPPTxrejc61Z
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#40 » by Dr Aki » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:09 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:
JDJ26 wrote:

Can you make an avatar of Harden stirring the pot and send it to me for my profile. Thx bud!

https://youtu.be/KtbQPZMLX70?si=-_pTOPPTxrejc61Z

There's probably a million pot stirring gifs of Harden out there.

Return to The General Board