Pompliano: How Glen Taylor sabotaged the Wolves' Ownership Deal (thread)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,882

Re: Pompliano: How Glen Taylor sabotaged the Wolves' Ownership Deal (thread) 

Post#61 » by shrink » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
shrink wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
And there is your biggest red flag if he wins this.

He's been completely incapable of hiring/running an NBA franchise.

Well he was completely capable of hiring and running a WNBA franchise, right? What changes?

Taylor’s biggest problems have been that he has made several bad hires on the GM side, and that he’s given them too long a leash before he fires them. For the record, he has acknowledged that, and has stepped aside, and uses a consulting group led by CEO Ethan Cassan, if I recall.

I wouldn't equate winning in the NBA to winning in the WNBA, but he absolutely made a great hire in Reeve and then got out of her way completely.

Do we know if Ethan Cassan is good at the job? Would he have gotten us Tim Connelly?

I also question how much he's willing to "step aside"...

Tell me what unalterable characteristics Taylor has that makes him bad as a NBA owner, but good as a WNBA owner?

Cassan’s group got us Gersson Rosas, which I would say was a successful two years (picking Ant, Jaden, Naz) even if it ended badly.

As for step aside, minority owners don’t have much power. We just will have to wait and see who is the majority owner.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,601

Post#62 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:02 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Its not me that's out of my lane in the least, I completely understood it, and I can really see how that other thread got shut down now.

I mean you clearly don't.

Lets go step by step, slowly with numbers.

1) Do you get that non-controling shares are worth 30-40% less than the franchise value you keep saying they can be sold for? Franchise value is for ownership with control. The price for minority partners has always been less. {See quote in article or quote in post you ignored or do research on why minority owners sued in the Minnesota case even, or ...}

This seems a real basic one and reduces your margin of profit by over 'a dollar', yet you keep repeating it suggesting it is an issue. If we can get this one, we can go on to harder ones...

Wow....

The "non-controlling shares" would never go at that much of a discount and given the fact we have just seen what minority stakes (with ZERO voting rights) were just sold for in Toronto and Dallas, being based on the entire team valuation and of far more. What you are even proposing is beyond unlikely. And if they did go at a discount, it's not likely going to be further from $2.94, or $2.50 if you like, and closer to $1.50.

Again the entire point is.... why take the reporting that they were having such a hard time at face value? You did get that part of the question right? There have been two buyers in other locations that just stepped up and paid far more for no discount.

But again, I'm not out of my lane here, before we "move onto harder ones", it's not me that still doesn't understand my own question.

Reallly understanding how that other thread was shut down again though.

Well, then you appear to disagree with the article you are agreeing with:

The easiest way to explain this dilemma is that limited partners typically receive a 30-40% discount on their investment because LP stakes don’t have any control or liquidity

And again, since you missed it:
{This is why Taylor was sued, his minority investors wanted out at 1.50 so much they even sued and lost.}

As for your claims about the Dallas ownership, you seem to be wrong here as well. That was for a full controlling ownership.
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has a host of assets including across multiple sports and stadium, but happy to address this once you get through all the points you have missed along the way.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,808

Post#63 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:04 am

thinktank wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:Sincere/serious question for Wolves fans, especially ones who do not like or want Taylor: even if every negative thing said about Taylor is 100% accurate and Arod/Lore are they unequivocal good guys here, are you confident they would spend what it takes? That they'd happily stay well above the Luxury Tax threshold if that's what it took to win?

It’s out of our control so why speculate?

Literally everything that happens in the NBA is out of our control. Except All-star voting I suppose
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,984

Post#64 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:
I mean you clearly don't.

Lets go step by step, slowly with numbers.

1) Do you get that non-controling shares are worth 30-40% less than the franchise value you keep saying they can be sold for? Franchise value is for ownership with control. The price for minority partners has always been less. {See quote in article or quote in post you ignored or do research on why minority owners sued in the Minnesota case even, or ...}

This seems a real basic one and reduces your margin of profit by over 'a dollar', yet you keep repeating it suggesting it is an issue. If we can get this one, we can go on to harder ones...

Wow....

The "non-controlling shares" would never go at that much of a discount and given the fact we have just seen what minority stakes (with ZERO voting rights) were just sold for in Toronto and Dallas, being based on the entire team valuation and of far more. What you are even proposing is beyond unlikely. And if they did go at a discount, it's not likely going to be further from $2.94, or $2.50 if you like, and closer to $1.50.

Again the entire point is.... why take the reporting that they were having such a hard time at face value? You did get that part of the question right? There have been two buyers in other locations that just stepped up and paid far more for no discount.

But again, I'm not out of my lane here, before we "move onto harder ones", it's not me that still doesn't understand my own question.

Reallly understanding how that other thread was shut down again though.

Well, then you appear to disagree with the article you are agreeing with:

The easiest way to explain this dilemma is that limited partners typically receive a 30-40% discount on their investment because LP stakes don’t have any control or liquidity

And again, since you missed it:
{This is why Taylor was sued, his minority investors wanted out at 1.50 so much they even sued and lost.}

As for your claims about the Dallas ownership, you seem to be wrong here as well. That was for a full controlling ownership.
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has a host of assets including across multiple sports and stadium, but happy to address this once you get through all the points you have missed along the way.

No it was not. Teachers Pension Fund bought a minority shares in the holding company of Tannenbaum and have no voting rights at MLSE because they own it through the holding company that Tannenbaum owns Majority of and owns all the voting share of. Full pop. Yes some owners own their arenas etc.

Yep, Cuban sold a majority share, yeah, yet still controls the team's operation. Which still is a bit of a weird deal for which to pay full pop.

But apparently pacers owner also increased his minority stake at a 3.47 billion valuation, full pop, so were are back to more than one example. And .... that's only because I'm not digging more for other examples that are assuredly there.

When we have just seen what valuations were given to minority and non-voting shareholders, no, it's not right when applied to NBA ownership.

I'm tired of your thinly veiled insults, especially when you can't get to what the point even was.

Edit; The lawsuit... they wanted out because they would get 4% a year as long as this sale took instead and tie up their cash and inflation and interest rates have made that 4% a bad deal. But yeah... it has no real bearing on my point anyway and its you looking for any fly **** in pepper.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,601

Post#65 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:39 am

Okay, so we are back to:
1) Johnny believes the article
and
2) Johnny doesn't believe the article.

This math is indeed simple.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,716

Post#66 » by ConSarnit » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:58 am

shrink wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Personally, I'm team math and logic.

Anyone can choose to answer this simple sample question if they like.... you buy shares of a team for $1.50 at the start. Your $1.50 shares are now valued at $2.94. You can offer to anyone to sell a share anywhere from $1.50 to $2.94 without technically losing a single dollar, because your deal is buying every share for $1.50 average price at every tier in the sale, vs the current value. But "ALL through the process" you can't find money and financing, or sell stakes, even by offering what is basically instant free money (or double the collateral if you like) and "are having trouble getting the money"?

Riiiiiiight? Something isn't right.

I think this is a good point. They have a great deal! But ..

- If Lore and ARod truly have the bucks, why are they using an extension at every deadline?

- If Lore and ARod truly have the bucks, why did they bring in the Google Exec for 4% of their 20% last buy in?

- And if Lore and ARod truly have the bucks, why did their first financing group, Carlisle, dump them? Why are they using a finance group at all?

It’s a very scary time to be a Wolves fan, regardless of the outcome.

If the current report is correct then Carlisle didn’t dump them, the NBA dumped Carlisle due to a conflict of interest.

A big issue is we don’t know the length of time it takes the NBA to vet Dyal. If the report is believed to be correct then it went like this:

-Lore and Arod secured funding from Carlisle
-the NBA rejected Carlisle as part owner due to conflict of interest
-the final payment is waiting upon the league to approve Dyal as a investor. We have no idea how long that process takes

It appears that Taylor wants to back out of the deal and not wait for the NBA to approve (or disapprove) Dyal. He might be within his legal rights to do so but it seems like because of all the hoopla it isn’t just as cut and dry as Taylor being able to call off the deal.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,984

Post#67 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:14 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:Okay, so we are back to:
1) Johnny believes the article
and
2) Johnny doesn't believe the article.

This math is indeed simple.

Why would they ever make you a mod. What kind of response is this.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,789

Post#68 » by thinktank » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
I strongly disagree with your contention in that last paragraph given the thinly veiled insults that accompanied them. For me, as others have said, this was mostly plain to see from the start, without having any axe to grind.

Yes. The insults have been fun. LOL. Some people cannot keep it above board.

It's not an insult. It's an observation. For instance you have been #teamLore the whole way. Which is whatever. I understand being frustrated with the governor of the team (Dallas went through Perot Jr who was a disaster) so I understand you think anything will be better than Taylor. Great. Good for you.

But because of that you haven't been open to any reports that suggest any issues with Lore, you have continually cited a personal level of expertise that is both irrelevant and unsubstantied and jumped all over any reporting that suggest Taylor bad Lore group good.

We could pretend this wasn't how you were posting, but that would be insulting to you. It would show we weren't paying you attention and reading your posts. But we are.

If you are insulted by us noticing your approach, that's odd. Because its clear you feel its the right approach for you on this topic. And that's your business. But some of use don't have your rooting interest and are trying to get at what's real. That's all.
And this article in the OP is sketchy at absolutely best, but reads like a plant. I mean our choices are he took a planted story or he simply doesn't understand what he's reporting on. Neither is great, and neither should give one call to claim victory.

But again, you get to choose who and what to believe. But us noticing that isn't insulting you. It's just paying attention. :D

Oh, hardly.

Your post illustrates everything I’m talking about. You call me Team Lore. That’s silly. I’ve been objective. I’m not the one dipping into “Where can I buy your novels?” Cmon now.
"a poor addition to the board"
GameChannel
Rookie
And1: 1,043

Post#69 » by GameChannel » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 am

I'm sure Glen has an army of lawyers who have vetted the contract before he pulled the plug. He is an **** but he ain't stupid.

I don't have a horse in this race but I don't think A-Roid and Lore are going to win this one.

Return to The General Board