Is Gobert really the most overrated player this year?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,833

Re: Is Gobert really the most overrated player this year? 

Post#81 » by shrink » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:27 am

ForeverTFC wrote:His OWN TEAMMATE said he doesn't strike any fear in him before they were on the same team.

You’ve mentioned this twice, and I take that as a sign that you don’t follow the Wolves very closely, or are ignoring all the other things Ant has said since then.

Ant made that comment on December 8, 2021. As a teammate, he has seen Rudy in action, and has come to appreciate all the things Rudy does to help defenses, particularly the subtle things. Ant has said repeatedly since then that he thinks Gobert is the best rim protector, and has been saying Gobert was the DPOY since before the season started. Moreover, when Ant was asked what was the biggest factor in the Wolves success, he said “trusting Rudy.”

I don’t think you can hang your hat on an opinion Ant might have had at age 20, ignore everything he’s said over the next three seasons, and further extrapolate that it demonstrates why 11 players think Rudy is over-rated. I suspect his opinion has changed, as has his belief that the scariest rim defender is Kristaps Porzingas.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,367

Post#82 » by Gusto1903 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:41 am

Gobert was really good this season. Usually i havent been a big fan of his eve before his Wolves days, but this season he has stepped up and was a true anchor and did exactly that, what he is supposed to do, without trying any fancy stuff. This unlocked the rest of the team and vice versa
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#83 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:58 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
It’s 82/540 = 15%. That’s actually a decent sample.

you don't know hownthat sample was selected, you can't say that

It's a sample of current NBA players. 15% is pretty good and is going to do a pretty decent job capturing this population. I don't understand the pushback. Are you saying that this is just noise and players don't dislike Gobert? Because we don't need an anonymous poll to know players don't respect him. His OWN TEAMMATE said he doesn't strike any fear in him before they were on the same team.

no, it doesn't unless that's a representative sample.
you don't know how they selected the players to ask these questions to and it seems that the majority of them refused to answer this particular one.
This is basic statistics, that sample could be as noisy as it gets, it seems that like 6-7% of the guys who got asked this question answered Gobert. There's very little info in that.
Слава Украине!
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,151

Post#84 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:35 am

Embiid. The flaws in his game would be there even if he was 100% healthy. You don't expect a player to be perfect, but his flaws are very glaring.

Reacts poorly to being double teamed. Either he rushes and makes a bad pass/dribbles into a double and gets stripped or moves too slow and allows doubles to zero in on him.

Relies on his jumper and getting to the line too much. Like a 7 ft James Harden.

He just does not have a feel for the game imho.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,283

Post#85 » by Godymas » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 pm

i saw him do some really nice stuff in the playoffs already

the big test is really next round though. If Jokic is able to continue his tear then it pretty much leaves the question of "what's the point of having Gobert"

but i expect the real issue for Denver is going to be Minnesota's insane gap on depth.
ChiTownHero1992
Starter
And1: 1,511

Post#86 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:49 pm

I've always liked Gobert (his contract not so much) but Gobert is not overrated, he effects winning, its just NBA and fans these days do not value defense/rebounding whatsoever and only value flashy offense on "high efficiency"
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#87 » by TimberKat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
shrink wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
84 votes, ~60% of the sample and 20% of the league voted. There is no small sample size here.

Well, only 84 players even voted for Most Over-rated, and to get 20%, that means 11 players voted for Gobert. 572 players had minutes in the 2023-24 NBA season, including two ways and the free agents.

I think Peterson is right, 11 vs 572 is a small sample.

Maybe the question is badly word. Sounds like essentially there is really only 11 NBA players who think Gobert is overrated. Had the question been "Do you think Gobert is overrated?", then it's likely that over 97% of the players don't think so (~572/(572+11), assuming they all voted. It's easier to answer a yes/no question).

Haliburton was looking like a top 10 player at the start of the season. Still end up with 20pt and 11ast but dropped off significantly late in the season. Yes, overrated because he was hyped up in November.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,516

Post#88 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:19 am

TimberKat wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
shrink wrote:Well, only 84 players even voted for Most Over-rated, and to get 20%, that means 11 players voted for Gobert. 572 players had minutes in the 2023-24 NBA season, including two ways and the free agents.

I think Peterson is right, 11 vs 572 is a small sample.

Maybe the question is badly word. Sounds like essentially there is really only 11 NBA players who think Gobert is overrated. Had the question been "Do you think Gobert is overrated?", then it's likely that over 97% of the players don't think so (~572/(572+11), assuming they all voted. It's easier to answer a yes/no question).

Haliburton was looking like a top 10 player at the start of the season. Still end up with 20pt and 11ast but dropped off significantly late in the season. Yes, overrated because he was hyped up in November.

No. The results suggest 13.5% of NBA players think Gobert is overrated. So it would be .135*540=73.

The sample is fine. Maybe you can say they asked a bunch of bench warmers and it’s not representative of all types of NBA players but I doubt that’s the case when they sampled 15% of the population.

I don’t know why we’re trying to look for technicalities. Gobert had always been disliked by players. He’s not overrated, he’s just not liked. This is a known fact. It’s been said by multiple NBA media people. Why they don’t like him, I don’t know. But they don’t. I think this is a given.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,597

Post#89 » by sikma42 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:01 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:It's the "most disliked" player poll. Gobert and Trae are mainstays on this list year after year.

Let's not forget, his own teammate called him overrated before they were on the same team:

“To me, the best rim-protector in the league is Porzingis. Anytime I go against Porzingis, I don’t get any layups,” Edwards said. “I don’t get why we couldn’t finish on Rudy Gobert. He don’t put no fear in my heart.”

This is a hilarious statement. I don’t get why we couldn’t finish? Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#90 » by TimberKat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:23 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

No. The results suggest 13.5% of NBA players think Gobert is overrated. So it would be .135*540=73.

The sample is fine. Maybe you can say they asked a bunch of bench warmers and it’s not representative of all types of NBA players but I doubt that’s the case when they sampled 15% of the population.

I don’t know why we’re trying to look for technicalities. Gobert had always been disliked by players. He’s not overrated, he’s just not liked. This is a known fact. It’s been said by multiple NBA media people. Why they don’t like him, I don’t know. But they don’t. I think this is a given.

I check into it further. They interviewed 142 players and is not random sampling. So, at most it's 11/142 = 7.7%. There were 61 players who answered 'No One'. We need to count those. By the time you throw out the bias of who they were able to interview (to represent the real league makeup), it may be down to 4%. So, to say overall is 13.6% is mis-leading. This is the classic "Four out of five dentists surveyed recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum."
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,516

Post#91 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 pm

TimberKat wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Maybe the question is badly word. Sounds like essentially there is really only 11 NBA players who think Gobert is overrated. Had the question been "Do you think Gobert is overrated?", then it's likely that over 97% of the players don't think so (~572/(572+11), assuming they all voted. It's easier to answer a yes/no question).

I check into it further. They interviewed 142 players and is not random sampling. So, at most it's 11/142 = 7.7%. There were 61 players who answered 'No One'. We need to count those. By the time you throw out the bias of who they were able to interview (to represent the real league makeup), it may be down to 4%. So, to say overall is 13.6% is mis-leading. This is the classic "Four out of five dentists surveyed recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum."

They didn’t say “no one” unless I missed that. They refused to answer. You don’t include “I’d rather not say” in the sample of a poll.

Are you trying to tell me players actually like Rudy? Rudy himself would disagree:

“In their eyes, I’m more like the odd guy from France that’s winning a lot of awards, and it can bother people,” Gobert told ESPN. “I impact the games in a very unique way. It’s maybe not as cool or not as flashy as some other guys, so it’s sometimes harder for them to respect that. I just think I’m just mostly misunderstood. I think I trigger a lot of these guys.”

https://bolavip.com/en/amp/nba/rudy-gobert-explains-why-all-nba-players-criticize-him
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#92 » by TimberKat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

They didn’t say “no one” unless I missed that. They refused to answer. You don’t include “I’d rather not say” in the sample of a poll.

Are you trying to tell me players actually like Rudy? Rudy himself would disagree:

“In their eyes, I’m more like the odd guy from France that’s winning a lot of awards, and it can bother people,” Gobert told ESPN. “I impact the games in a very unique way. It’s maybe not as cool or not as flashy as some other guys, so it’s sometimes harder for them to respect that. I just think I’m just mostly misunderstood. I think I trigger a lot of these guys.”

https://bolavip.com/en/amp/nba/rudy-gobert-explains-why-all-nba-players-criticize-him

I am sure there are players don't like Gobert and some do feel he is overrated but the way the statement was presented is misleading and overblown.

I looked into the poll and it's fairly clear to me that it's a 'no preference' and not ' I rather not say'. They ask question like 'What is your favorite arena?' and not every player (the 142) have one. It's the same as ask 100 people what is their favorite ice cream
30 said Chocolate and 50 don't have a favorite. You can't draw the conclusions 60% of the 100 likes chocolate. Here is the poll and you can see it for yourself and what you think the no votes are saying. Maybe they really should ask the question which NBA player do you dislike the most? I would also bet if the question is simply is Gobert overrated? Over 85% would say no.

https://theathletic.com/5433545/2024/04/22/nba-player-poll-2024-lebron-jordan-goat-celtics-nuggets-rudy-gobert-timberwolves/

Return to The General Board