Is Gobert really the most overrated player this year?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Handlez
Junior
And1: 341

Re: Is Gobert really the most overrated player this year? 

Post#21 » by Handlez » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 pm

Hell no.

He's the DPOY.

He just has a lot of haters.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,983

Post#22 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:36 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:143 or so players polled showing they are cliquey knuckleheads. Who don't value defense, feel type of way about some foreign players and just go like jealous kids "he is just big, nothing else".

Don't underrate the impact of the voice and opinions the biggiest names in NBA have on rest of players. Peeps like Shaq, Draymond and few other talking heads or stars openly dislike Gobert, so average American nba player will parrot that.

I recall ANT openly being frustrated with him at first. Gobert, requires teammates to understand what he is and what he does. Once they get it...the wins pile up.

Wasnt Slomo who even got a swing at him on the bench? We forgot now, but that trade seemed like a disaster last year, team hated the guy, or at least it seemed that way.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,623

Post#23 » by Harry Garris » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:46 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Gobert needs his own mini-series: "Everybody Hates Rudy."

What is it about this guy that makes him so dis-liked by his peers? I don't get it.

Some people just have that kind of personality that doesn't vibe with most people.

Source: I am one of those people
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,783

Post#24 » by Nate505 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:49 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I can understand that some players could be frustrated seeing a man, with so relatively little skill, get valued as high as Rudy does, but for how skill based sport is, sometimes it comes diwn to natural gifts, and Gobert has that.

He has tons of skill on the defensive end. If he didn't anyone who is his height could be as good as he is. They aren't.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,625

Post#25 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:57 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:143 or so players polled showing they are cliquey knuckleheads. Who don't value defense, feel type of way about some foreign players and just go like jealous kids "he is just big, nothing else".

Don't underrate the impact of the voice and opinions the biggiest names in NBA have on rest of players. Peeps like Shaq, Draymond and few other talking heads or stars openly dislike Gobert, so average American nba player will parrot that.

I recall ANT openly being frustrated with him at first. Gobert, requires teammates to understand what he is and what he does. Once they get it...the wins pile up.

Wasnt Slomo who even got a swing at him on the bench? We forgot now, but that trade seemed like a disaster last year, team hated the guy, or at least it seemed that way.

Story I think was that when they got Conley he opened their eyes with how to play with him. Also they had injuries last year elsewhere so...the team just wasn't setup for success out the gate either.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,983

Post#26 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:01 pm

Nate505 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I can understand that some players could be frustrated seeing a man, with so relatively little skill, get valued as high as Rudy does, but for how skill based sport is, sometimes it comes diwn to natural gifts, and Gobert has that.

He has tons of skill on the defensive end. If he didn't anyone who is his height could be as good as he is. They aren't.

Sure, but also lots of players his height are way slower. Also, his wingspan and length is among absolute best. Make him as lateraly slow as some other guys, who is Rudy then?
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,126

Post#27 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:02 pm

What Gobert shows is that the roster mix around certain players matters a lot.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
zero rings
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,441

Post#28 » by zero rings » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:03 pm

Most player aren’t very smart. They see a guy who can’t shoot or dribble between the legs, and they get mad when he is ranked higher than they are.

In terms of impact Rudy has been a top ~15 guy for a long time now.
Nate505
RealGM

Post#29 » by Nate505 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:05 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Nate505 wrote:

Sure, but also lots of players his height are way slower. Also, his wingspan and length is among absolute best. Make him as lateraly slow as some other guys, who is Rudy then?

A guy who still has elite timing, defensive awareness and positioning.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,552

Post#30 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:05 pm

It's the "most disliked" player poll. Gobert and Trae are mainstays on this list year after year.

Let's not forget, his own teammate called him overrated before they were on the same team:

“To me, the best rim-protector in the league is Porzingis. Anytime I go against Porzingis, I don’t get any layups,” Edwards said. “I don’t get why we couldn’t finish on Rudy Gobert. He don’t put no fear in my heart.”
Nate505
RealGM

Post#31 » by Nate505 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:06 pm

It's almost as all of us who were saying that Utah's perimeter defense sucked were correct a few years ago, and when you surround Gobert with guys who are decent at it that his impact is far greater.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,749

Post#32 » by dockingsched » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:08 pm

He’s getting DPOYs while AD can’t get any votes, hell yeah he’s up there as the most overrated.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#33 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:09 pm

Nate505 wrote:It's almost as all of us who were saying that Utah's perimeter defense sucked were correct a few years ago, and when you surround Gobert with guys who are decent at it that his impact is far greater.

The issue is that he's such a negative offensively, you have to put good offensive players around him to be a true contender. There's only so many 2-way stars in the league. He's finally getting to play with one.
ForeverTFC
RealGM

Post#34 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 pm

I don't buy the international hate when it comes to the current crop of players. They showered a lot of love on Wemby, Luka, and Jokic in that survey. Trae is also very disliked by players and he's American.

They just don't like the guy. It's the same with Trae.
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 924

Post#35 » by docholliday99 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:Players don’t like him.

This was my first thought, considering the list of names associated - Brooks, Harden, Poole, Young.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,596

Post#36 » by Bergmaniac » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:23 pm

This is yet another item in the long list of evidences that most NBA players are clueless.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,729

Post#37 » by Yoshun » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 pm

Trae Young was interesting. Do players really not like him? I've always liked him, but I don't follow him closely enough.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,881

Post#38 » by shrink » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:01 pm

famicommander wrote:Wolves record with Towns: 42-20 (.645)
Wolves record without Towns: 14-6 (.700)

If Gobert is the most overrated player in the league, how in the hell were the Timberwolves better without Towns?

Naz Reid

(I wanted to leave it at that, but there are a couple things that might explain it. Towns is excellent, but there are probably no teams out there better able to withstand his loss than the one with Naz on the bench. Also: timing. KAT was out in March and April, and Ant just continues to develop. This part of the season you also get a few wins from teams who don’t mind picking up a loss.)
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 955

Post#39 » by FreeBird23 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 pm

"Anonymous NBA players poll"

dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,272

Post#40 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:15 pm

if NBA players are clueless and idiots then Realgm users are definitely idiots. The users here have been hating on Gobert for a long time because of how badly the Jazz did it in the playoffs and how Gobert could not guard the perimeter. Then he got a ton of hate during the trade because of too many picks. Then when it did not work out he got hate. Now after one solid season with a very solid team, he considered this god-like player.

Return to The General Board