Windy: Mavs look like the biggest threat to DEN in the West

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,775

Re: Windy: Mavs look like the biggest threat to DEN in the West 

Post#21 » by Peregrine01 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:10 pm

shrink wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:
shrink wrote:On the other hand, how does DEN handle Ant? They don’t have Brown this year, and the only player that could maybe defend him is Gordon. However, Gordon is the ONLY option they have to defend Towns size and scoring ability. Towns shoots over smaller guys, and drive past bigger, slower defenders.

With a guy like Ant, you force him to make reads, clog the paint and invite him into tough pull-up jumpers, which he seems very willingly to oblige. Honestly haven't been impressed with him at all on offense - he doesn't have great feel.

To be honest, Ant’s ability to make reads varies every night, sometimes even within games. The problem he creates though is that he is too athletic to not just blow by most one-on-one defenders. He can also make tough jumpers. If you watch the Suns, who also don’t have a good option, they try to double team him, and then pack in underneath, like you suggest. Sometimes Ant just dominates that. They really need two Aaron Gordon’s, or bring back Brown.

Having blow-by ability doesn't mean that a guy suddenly lives at the rim. Against a putrid Suns defense, Ant is really not getting to the rim all that much and spends way too much time pounding the rock. He dribbles into tough shots way too often and an offense relying on a heavy diet of tough jump shots is not going to be what beats Denver especially considering what Jokic gets on the other end. There's a reason why Conley still runs the Wolves' offense and not Ant.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,606

Post#22 » by dc » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:36 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:its the Clippers if Kawhi is on one. people forgot how much of an assassin robot Jordan can be

Yeah, but he's not healthy. He wasn't moving well at all last night.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
EmpireFalls
Sixth Man
And1: 3,159

Post#23 » by EmpireFalls » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:38 pm

dc wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:its the Clippers if Kawhi is on one. people forgot how much of an assassin robot Jordan can be

Yeah absolutely. I’d say from last night that him and Embiid are in the same boat.
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,922

Post#24 » by mcmurphy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 pm

My biggest threat is Minny... last season really impressed me against Denver and was without McDaniels
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,845

Post#25 » by GiannisAnte34 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:55 pm

dc wrote:

yea good point
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,253

Post#26 » by QingJames » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:57 pm

SA37 wrote:Minnesota and OKC offer a much more difficult matchup for Denver, imo.

I'm not even sure the Mavs get passed the Clippers.

Chet is amazing but Jokic will body him badly and probably average 20 rebounds in the series. Minnie is the only team in the West that can stop these Nugs.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,110

Post#27 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:02 pm

Dallas won one game. And weren't dominant in doing so. Slow down Windhorst my good man, slow down.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,895

Post#28 » by Zeno » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:19 pm

Definitely the Wolves. Anyway, I want them to win it all just to see what happens with the trophy presentation.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,613

Post#29 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 pm

Dallas is not a tough matchup for them at all. I don't see a series going longer than 5 games (in Denver's favour).

Minny is by far the second best team in the West and the one that matches up best against Denver.
kazyv
Junior
And1: 463

Post#30 » by kazyv » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:32 pm

i think mavs vs wolves would be a far easier match up. just like clippers, wolves are a balanced defensive team that can stop itself on offense by making the wrong decisions. that is a boon to a defensively suspect team like the mavs, that has the tools to overcome the balanced teams defense with their superior offense.

that will probably never happen to the nuggets (as long as jokic is playing). their offense will always look superior vs the mavs
ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,492

Post#31 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:35 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:lmao, Gafford and Lively and PJ are way too small.

It's Minnesota by far.

Outside Joker who is the huge player on the Nuggets? They're not stopping Joker but Nuggets aren't stopping Luka, those players are fine for guarding Murray and we've got Kyrie.

The Mavs biggest issue is scoring after Luka and Kyrie though. Those two are good for 60 it doesn't matter who their opponent is that's their average, but after that the rest of the team is lucky to give 40. This is where Nuggets would have an advantage Michael Porter Jr is way better than Tim Hardaway Jr as the 3rd best scorer.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,784

Post#32 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 pm

Meh, kind of feel like Boston is the only legit threat to Denver.

I know Minny is better than they were last year. But why is this year be so much different than last year in the playoffs? Dont get me wrong I think it can be competitive, but dont see them as a huge threat. And I would consider Minny to be the biggest threat.

Dallas is better up front than year's past. But still dont have a matchup for Jokic. Gafford is small and Lively is a skinny rookie. And Denver has multiple high level perimeter players to throw at Luka and Kyrie all game.

Boston is the one team where they just have so much individual talent. Plus they may not be on the same tier as Denver when it comes to being a well oiled machine. But theyre arent behind anyone else in that department. And I think that can be a fun matchup with all that individual talent and essentially an air raid offense. Vs Denver's more calculated offense.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,201

Post#33 » by SA37 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:46 pm

QingJames wrote:
SA37 wrote:Minnesota and OKC offer a much more difficult matchup for Denver, imo.

I'm not even sure the Mavs get passed the Clippers.

Chet is amazing but Jokic will body him badly and probably average 20 rebounds in the series. Minnie is the only team in the West that can stop these Nugs.

I mean, is anyone stopping Jokic? I think it's fool's errand. The goal should be to stop everyone else, imo. And OKC is good across the board, really -- something Dallas is not. Minnesota is not quite as well-rounded as OKC, but they have a lot of fire power, good defenders, and an awesome mix of vets and youngsters.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,857

Post#34 » by shrink » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I know Minny is better than they were last year. But why is this year be so much different than last year in the playoffs?

Last year they didn’t have Jaden McDaniels, didn’t have Naz Reid, and Ant was only 21? And still played DEN tough?
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,300

Post#35 » by Frank Dux » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:58 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:I put $500 on the Mavs making the finals. I didn't have the balls to pick them over Boston yet.

Oof, might as well have lit that money on fire.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,110

Post#36 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 pm

yeah Denver is a favorite over Dallas because you know, they are better. But this idea that any team has a Jokic cure is laughable. Minny, with all their size doesn't. Boston doesn't. He's Jokic lol. You aren't shutting him down. He's too good.

Denver won 2 of 3 from Dallas and that with Jokic having 2 subpar games including one real stinker. I'm not counting 7 wins ahead, but if both teams get there, Dallas has their hands full. But so does every team.

Too small a sample size but Dallas did far better than Minny and Boston in defending him. Again, put zero weight on this, but mentioning it to point out how silly some of the above is.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,377

Post#37 » by MrGoat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:53 pm

Not with the way Gafford has been playing lately, the Mavs need the double headed monster at center to stay big but if Zubac is giving him this much trouble... The Mavs beat Denver in their only matchup post trade deadline and in that game Jokic tried to bully D Live and ended up shooting only 2/8 against him but that is a very tall order to ask of a rookie in a playoff series.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 7,844

Post#38 » by AleksandarN » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:00 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Theres no room on the bandwagon for Windy.

Too fat.

What are we 12. Fat jokes? What’s next mom jokes? lol
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 7,844

Post#39 » by AleksandarN » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:lmao, Gafford and Lively and PJ are way too small.

They werent too small when they beat Denver a month ago, and they held Jokic to 16 and 11 in the process.

Non aggressive regular season Jokic is something totally different than playoff Jokic.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,117

Post#40 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Meh, kind of feel like Boston is the only legit threat to Denver.

I know Minny is better than they were last year. But why is this year be so much different than last year in the playoffs? Dont get me wrong I think it can be competitive, but dont see them as a huge threat. And I would consider Minny to be the biggest threat.

Dallas is better up front than year's past. But still dont have a matchup for Jokic. Gafford is small and Lively is a skinny rookie. And Denver has multiple high level perimeter players to throw at Luka and Kyrie all game.

Boston is the one team where they just have so much individual talent. Plus they may not be on the same tier as Denver when it comes to being a well oiled machine. But theyre arent behind anyone else in that department. And I think that can be a fun matchup with all that individual talent and essentially an air raid offense. Vs Denver's more calculated offense.

Last season the Timberwolves were missing Jaden McDaniels and Naz Reid vs. Denver. I remember thinking at the time that the Twolves missing those two was being a bit underrated. Jaden's defense is stellar and Naz is literally huge off the bench. They also had a mid-season trade last year, this year they had stability and more time to get used to properly utilizing/playing with Gobert.

I think Denver still beats them but you likely are looking at a 6-7 game series with close games. Boston doesn't have the size, but they have more talent and the ability to go nuclear. I'd say Boston is most likely to beat them, but the Twolves aren't that far behind.

Return to The General Board