Naz Reid Is Your 2024 6MOY

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,656

Re: Naz Reid Is Your 2024 6MOY 

Post#61 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:42 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
pillwenney wrote:People acting like Monk would have just won as the "highest scorer off the bench" just straight up didn't watch the Kings this year. Like that's an absurd take. He was the second best player on the team for big chunks of the season. His playmaking (which has been totally ignored in this thread so far, and so often in the discourse about Monk) was absolutely essential to propping up the offense.

It's indeed worth pointing out that Minnesota was the better team when looking at their values, but then it's also worth noting Reid might have actually been the 6th best player on his team. Monk was the third best King this year, and fourth frankly wasn't close to him.

Naz is the better defender (an emerging shot blocker, he was asked to defend everyone from Jokic and Embiid to Jalen Williams and Zion Williamson. He legit defends 3-5 and switches 1-5.) Naz is the more efficient shooter 47/41/73 splits compared to 44/35/82. Monk might be better at assisting, but he is a guard. That is not an apples to apples comparison. Naz role was catch and shoot, attack of the dribble, and finish at the rim. He wasn’t a facilitator he was a weapon. Often he was the 3rd best offensive player or better (if Ant or KAT had a bad night.) Naz also played 81 to Monk’s 72. I know some people will argue that availability is a bad metric. But I would argue it is the best metric. The best ability is availability. If Monk had been available more maybe the King’s reach the playoffs or advance out of the play in. But, Monk did not. Last year Naz did not and we suffered for it. Naz is the more complete player, and he deserved the recognition.

P.S, there is a reason that 6th man voting allows for starting in place of an injured starter, that is part of the function of a 6th man. The next man up.
MrIrrelevant
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#62 » by MrIrrelevant » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:06 pm

I think they got it right; what I'm really curious about is how Win Shares got it right too.

Naz Reid - 4.9 WS, .120 WS/48
Bobby Portis - 4.7 WS, .112 WS/48
Normal Powell - 4.1 WS, .099 WS/48
Bogdan Bogdanovic - 3.9 WS, .079 WS/48
Malik Monk - 3.5 WS, .090 WS/48

That would almost be my top 5 in exact order. Portis had a much better season than Monk. Rare Win Shares W
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,633

Post#63 » by jpengland » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:21 pm

Always happy when the NBA takes a break from the 'Undersized bench chucker of the year award'

Well deserved.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,522

Post#64 » by pillwenney » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:45 pm

winforlose wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
pillwenney wrote:People acting like Monk would have just won as the "highest scorer off the bench" just straight up didn't watch the Kings this year. Like that's an absurd take. He was the second best player on the team for big chunks of the season. His playmaking (which has been totally ignored in this thread so far, and so often in the discourse about Monk) was absolutely essential to propping up the offense.

It's indeed worth pointing out that Minnesota was the better team when looking at their values, but then it's also worth noting Reid might have actually been the 6th best player on his team. Monk was the third best King this year, and fourth frankly wasn't close to him.

Naz is the better defender (an emerging shot blocker, he was asked to defend everyone from Jokic and Embiid to Jalen Williams and Zion Williamson. He legit defends 3-5 and switches 1-5.) Naz is the more efficient shooter 47/41/73 splits compared to 44/35/82. Monk might be better at assisting, but he is a guard. That is not an apples to apples comparison. Naz role was catch and shoot, attack of the dribble, and finish at the rim. He wasn’t a facilitator he was a weapon. Often he was the 3rd best offensive player or better (if Ant or KAT had a bad night.) Naz also played 81 to Monk’s 72. I know some people will argue that availability is a bad metric. But I would argue it is the best metric. The best ability is availability. If Monk had been available more maybe the King’s reach the playoffs or advance out of the play in. But, Monk did not. Last year Naz did not and we suffered for it. Naz is the more complete player, and he deserved the recognition.

P.S, there is a reason that 6th man voting allows for starting in place of an injured starter, that is part of the function of a 6th man. The next man up.

All fair. But I still feel like this downplays Monk's value AS a guard. Being an offensive engine by nature requires a lot more heavy lifting. If executed comparably, it's generally a far more valuable role and certainly accounts a lot for the discrepancy in efficiency.

Availability is a fine metric in some circumstances. This is not one of them IMO. Find me an example of anyone losing an award because they "only" played 72 games. It certainly had an impact, but not because of availability, but because of recency bias. Had Monk missed 9 games in December, this wouldn't be a conversation.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,300

Post#65 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:The main reason is that while Reid was getting more and more attention... it was the exact time Monk was injured. It was simply poor timing for Monk. Without the late-season injury, he'd have won the award. It is what it is... e.g., not a big deal.

The last month of the season was what allowed Naz Reid to close the gap for sure. Not only Monk's injury and Reid moving into the starting lineup, but look at Monk's last 7 games before his injury. Making just 3 of his last 30 3-pointers dropped Monk from 37% to 35% on 3-pointers. Meanwhile, that's right about when Towns went down and Naz Reid moved to the starting lineup. Naz Reid finished the season making 41% of 3-pointers, a pretty big stat for a 6-foot-9 "big".
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
winforlose
General Manager

Post#66 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:16 pm

pillwenney wrote:

All fair. But I still feel like this downplays Monk's value AS a guard. Being an offensive engine by nature requires a lot more heavy lifting. If executed comparably, it's generally a far more valuable role and certainly accounts a lot for the discrepancy in efficiency.

Availability is a fine metric in some circumstances. This is not one of them IMO. Find me an example of anyone losing an award because they "only" played 72 games. It certainly had an impact, but not because of availability, but because of recency bias. Had Monk missed 9 games in December, this wouldn't be a conversation.

It’s not 6th guard of the year. If you weight his position in his favor (something that happens all too often sadly,) then you discount the value of rebounding, interior defense, and more. Heavy lifting comes in all forms. Naz earned this, and anyone who says otherwise ignores the fact that this process goes to 100 outside voters with their own biases and agendas specifically to drown out as much noise as possible.

81 minus 72 equals 9. 9 divide by 82 equals 10.97%. You cannot with a straight face tell me that two players who put up similar numbers and are essential to their teams success are of equal value when one plays 11% less games than the other. If we are talking 2 or 3 games maybe you have a point, but once the number starts climbing past 4 (approximately 5% of the season,) it can and should be a factor.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,181

Post#67 » by shrink » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 pm

The end of the season hurt Monk, but people forget in the first half, Naz was a rare 50/40/90 player.

He dropped off, but he was being efficient in the first half.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,218

Post#68 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 pm

They could have co 6moy if the point difference is minimal, just like how they had co rookie of the year before
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,449

Post#69 » by KF10 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:32 pm

2 strong candidates in Naz and Monk.

Either of them have a case to win it.

It was split by a hair towards Naz at the end.

Congrats to him and Minny.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by pillwenney » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:03 pm

winforlose wrote:
pillwenney wrote:

It’s not 6th guard of the year. If you weight his position in his favor (something that happens all too often sadly,) then you discount the value of rebounding, interior defense, and more. Heavy lifting comes in all forms. Naz earned this, and anyone who says otherwise ignores the fact that this process goes to 100 outside voters with their own biases and agendas specifically to drown out as much noise as possible.

81 minus 72 equals 9. 9 divide by 82 equals 10.97%. You cannot with a straight face tell me that two players who put up similar numbers and are essential to their teams success are of equal value when one plays 11% less games than the other. If we are talking 2 or 3 games maybe you have a point, but once the number starts climbing past 4 (approximately 5% of the season,) it can and should be a factor.

Of course it should all be taken into account. But leading an offense is, I would argue, the most valuable role. Losing Monk would (and well, did) hurt the Kings way more than losing Naz would hurt Minnesota because he played a bigger, more essential, more valuable role.

I would again ask for any example ever of a guy not getting an award because he only played 72 games. You can argue it should be a factor. That's a matter of opinion. But there's no precedent for it being one when a guy has played this much.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,505

Post#71 » by BlacJacMac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:23 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:They could have co 6moy if the point difference is minimal, just like how they had co rookie of the year before

The "kiss your sister" award.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 pm

pillwenney wrote:I would again ask for any example ever of a guy not getting an award because he only played 72 games. You can argue it should be a factor. That's a matter of opinion. But there's no precedent for it being one when a guy has played this much.

He didn't lose because he only played 72 games. He lost because Naz Reid was already practically even with him before the injury and sustained his individual and team success throughout while Monk wasn't able to clinch winning the award because of the injury.

I also think Naz Reid benefitted from the Timberwolves being in the public eye a lot more down the stretch. Seven games down the stretch on ESPN or NBA-TV out of the last 20, and Reid was a major component in the Wolves going 13-7 down the stretch scoring 20-plus eight times in the stretch without Towns, when most prognosticators expected the team to fall off considerably.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

winforlose
General Manager

Post#73 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 pm

pillwenney wrote:
winforlose wrote:
pillwenney wrote:

Of course it should all be taken into account. But leading an offense is, I would argue, the most valuable role. Losing Monk would (and well, did) hurt the Kings way more than losing Naz would hurt Minnesota because he played a bigger, more essential, more valuable role.

I would again ask for any example ever of a guy not getting an award because he only played 72 games. You can argue it should be a factor. That's a matter of opinion. But there's no precedent for it being one when a guy has played this much.

I honestly have no way of knowing what has gone into the consideration of past years or this year. The “should” argument is the one I am making. Especially in light of total stats. 100 people got to make the choice and I believe some of them weighed Naz being available for 9 more games (which is not nothing.)

I strongly disagree with your point that Monk was more necessary than Naz. There were plenty of nights where KAT or Ant had a bad game and Naz saved the day. Our offense struggled all season often being ranked between 16 and 19. Our 3 point make percentage was high, but our volume was also low. Karl wouldn’t commit to taking the necessary number of 3s until much later in the season. Meanwhile Ant and Jaden were inconsistent. It was Mike Conley, Naz Reid, and NAW who would often be the difference makers from deep. Naz especially consistently upped his volume without a drop off in efficiency and had a historic year for anyone playing the 4/5 from deep (in a bench role.) Finally, once KAT went down Naz became a consistent 20 PPG on efficient shooting and kept us afloat. The Kings might need Monk, but the Wolves needed every bit of Naz Reid. That the Wolves were more successful should count in Naz’s favor rather than against him. You lost Monk and Huerter, we lost KAT. If you lost Fox could Monk replace him? Naz replaced KAT and we went 10-3 on short rest in the games Naz started.

I am sorry, but Naz earned this in just about every way possible. If you want to argue that Guards should always have an advantage over Bigs we can have that conversation, but I think that speaks more to your bias and opinion than they actual reality of the game.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by pillwenney » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 pm

Klomp wrote:
pillwenney wrote:I would again ask for any example ever of a guy not getting an award because he only played 72 games. You can argue it should be a factor. That's a matter of opinion. But there's no precedent for it being one when a guy has played this much.

He didn't lose because he only played 72 games. He lost because Naz Reid was already practically even with him before the injury and sustained his individual and team success throughout while Monk wasn't able to clinch winning the award because of the injury.

I also think Naz Reid benefitted from the Timberwolves being in the public eye a lot more down the stretch. Seven games down the stretch on ESPN or NBA-TV out of the last 20, and Reid was a major component in the Wolves going 13-7 down the stretch scoring 20-plus eight times in the stretch without Towns, when most prognosticators expected the team to fall off considerably.

I agree with all of this except I don't think they were even before the injury. Impossible for any of us to know for sure, of course.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by pillwenney » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:04 pm

winforlose wrote:
pillwenney wrote:
winforlose wrote:

I honestly have no way of knowing what has gone into the consideration of past years or this year. The “should” argument is the one I am making. Especially in light of total stats. 100 people got to make the choice and I believe some of them weighed Naz being available for 9 more games (which is not nothing.)

I strongly disagree with your point that Monk was more necessary than Naz. There were plenty of nights where KAT or Ant had a bad game and Naz saved the day. Our offense struggled all season often being ranked between 16 and 19. Our 3 point make percentage was high, but our volume was also low. Karl wouldn’t commit to taking the necessary number of 3s until much later in the season. Meanwhile Ant and Jaden were inconsistent. It was Mike Conley, Naz Reid, and NAW who would often be the difference makers from deep. Naz especially consistently upped his volume without a drop off in efficiency and had a historic year for anyone playing the 4/5 from deep (in a bench role.) Finally, once KAT went down Naz became a consistent 20 PPG on efficient shooting and kept us afloat. The Kings might need Monk, but the Wolves needed every bit of Naz Reid. That the Wolves were more successful should count in Naz’s favor rather than against him. You lost Monk and Huerter, we lost KAT. If you lost Fox could Monk replace him? Naz replaced KAT and we went 10-3 on short rest in the games Naz started.

I am sorry, but Naz earned this in just about every way possible. If you want to argue that Guards should always have an advantage over Bigs we can have that conversation, but I think that speaks more to your bias and opinion than they actual reality of the game.

I mean...do you not remember this? The answer is yes. Fox went through long stretches this year where he totally didn't look like himself and Monk saved our asses time and again. That said, the Kings really badly needed both of them.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Klomp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:18 pm

pillwenney wrote:Of course it should all be taken into account. But leading an offense is, I would argue, the most valuable role. Losing Monk would (and well, did) hurt the Kings way more than losing Naz would hurt Minnesota because he played a bigger, more essential, more valuable role.

I understand the point you are trying to make here.

Sacramento was 8-11 when Monk scored under 10 points (and 4-6 in games missed) while Minnesota was 16-9 when Naz Reid scored under 10 points (and 0-1 in games missed). But you can turn that around and say Sacramento was 34-19 when Monk scored 10 or more points while Minnesota was 40-16 when Naz Reid scored 10 or more points.

Return to The General Board