The Mavs tried to trade Brunson + 18 pick + 31 pick for the pick to acquire Haliburton in 2020

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ChipotleWest
Veteran
And1: 2,491

The Mavs tried to trade Brunson + 18 pick + 31 pick for the pick to acquire Haliburton in 2020 

Post#1 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 pm

A lot of things would be different right now for about 5 teams if a team took that trade.

One of the teams that said no to the Mavs ironically were the Knicks.

Then the fact that Carlisle ends up with Haliburton anyway in Indiana, crazy.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,512

Re: The Mavs tried to trade Brunson + 18 pick + 31 pick for the pick to acquire Haliburton in 2020 

Post#2 » by Maverick41 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 pm

I believe the main team that was offered to was to PHX who drafted Jalen Smith @ #10. They could have likely still drafted Smith at that range so it would have made sense to take that deal for PHX.
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Re: The Mavs tried to trade Brunson + 18 pick + 31 pick for the pick to acquire Haliburton in 2020 

Post#3 » by ChipotleWest » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm

Maverick41 wrote:I believe the main team that was offered to was to PHX who drafted Jalen Smith @ #10. They could have likely still drafted Smith at that range so it would have made sense to take that deal for PHX.

They tried several teams and couldn't get any takers.

For Brunson who's close to top 5 in MVP voting this season. :lol:

Nobody knew that then though, he was averaging 8 ppg that season.

Take it with a grain of salt, because Bob Voulgaris is a snake oil salesman, but he said in a previous interview that they potentially had a deal in place with Detroit, but Detroit wouldn’t agree to adding a protection making the deal dependent on Haliburton still being on the board when the pick came up.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,566

Post#4 » by DaGawd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 am

ChipotleWest wrote:A lot of things would be different right now for about 5 teams if a team took that trade.

what did they try and give the knicks?
BaF
Washington Wizards
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#5 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:07 am

DaGawd wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:A lot of things would be different right now for about 5 teams if a team took that trade.

They offered the same thing to any team that would take it, Brunson + 18th pick + 31st pick in the 2020 draft.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,986

Post#6 » by Apz » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:11 am

Also tried to trade him for cade later. Pistons should have taken that
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#7 » by DaGawd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:16 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

They offered the same thing to any team that would take it, Brunson + 18th pick + 31st pick in the 2020 draft.

i see.. i guess at the time leon was too hell bent on drafting the guy who his son represents in obi to accept that deal :lol:
BaF
Washington Wizards
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 260

Post#8 » by WentzerWuver » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:17 pm

They thought Toppin was the next Ewing.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#9 » by King4Day » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:38 pm

Maverick41 wrote:I believe the main team that was offered to was to PHX who drafted Jalen Smith @ #10. They could have likely still drafted Smith at that range so it would have made sense to take that deal for PHX.

If this is accurate, it is just another blunder from Jones in that draft.
Brunson would have been a good backup PG for us and, like you said, we could have still drafted Smith later most likely.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,420

Post#10 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm

Brunson benefited from Carisles system and playing with Luka which gave Brun the confidence he has today

With his mindset he always would’ve been serviceable but I doubt he’ll be the player he is today without that experience
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,368

Post#11 » by Gusto1903 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:14 pm

Speaking of Brunson. I have him in my Fantasy Basketball Team in a keeper league, where we can keep 2.
Which 2 of these do i keep?

Lamelo, Ant, Brunson, Morant, Harden, Siakam, Paulo Banchero and Coby White?
Im guessing Ant and Morant but dont want to lose Brunson. Melo is always injured, Siakam is a C. Im torn
On the Alperen SengĂĽn hypetrain since 2020
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,385

Post#12 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:46 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:Speaking of Brunson. I have him in my Fantasy Basketball Team in a keeper league, where we can keep 2.

Im guessing Ant and Morant but dont want to lose Brunson. Melo is always injured, Siakam is a C. Im torn

I take Brunson and drop Morant, personally.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#13 » by Archx » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:Brunson benefited from Carisles system and playing with Luka which gave Brun the confidence he has today

With his mindset he always would’ve been serviceable but I doubt he’ll be the player he is today without that experience

I'll slightly correct you, it was Kidd who actually fully unlocked Brunson. He gave him the role and confidence to be THAT guy next to Luka. Then they both played off each other. That's why i was always advocating to resign Brunson but i remember a lot of people still wanted to trade him when his playstlye and value were slowly going up. He later then said he has to thank Kidd for all the guidance.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,613

Post#14 » by Harry Garris » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 pm

I'm always a little skeptical with these reports that teams turned down a ton of stuff for a late lottery pick. Especially when multiple teams in a row supposedly did this is a draft that at least on the popular level wasn't super highly regarded at the time.

What if this leak is coming from a Mavs source that's trying to spin their mismanagement and loss of Brunson in a different direction to make the franchise look better?
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,762

Post#15 » by leolozon » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 pm

Suns not taking that offer is stupid. Even if Smith wasn’t there at 18, he would have been at around 16th. You can flip 31st and 18th and keep Brunson.

They overreached for Smith and should have done the deal 10 times out of 10. Not sure what happened there.

Luka with Haliburton would have been a great fit.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,039

Post#16 » by Effigy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 pm

Apz wrote:Also tried to trade him for cade later. Pistons should have taken that

If we're telling teams what they should have done, the Mavericks should have given Brunson the 4 years $55 million he wanted to stay instead of letting him walk for nothing. :lol:
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,762

Post#17 » by leolozon » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 pm

Harry Garris wrote:I'm always a little skeptical with these reports that teams turned down a ton of stuff for a late lottery pick. Especially when multiple teams in a row supposedly did this is a draft that at least on the popular level wasn't super highly regarded at the time.

What if this leak is coming from a Mavs source that's trying to spin their mismanagement and loss of Brunson in a different direction to make the franchise look better?

The offer isn’t out of this world as Brunson didn’t have a ton of value. 31st moves you two spots at best and Brunson moves you a couple of spots. So just okay to move from 18th to 10th/11th.

The only team that should have taken the offer is the Suns at 10, because they reached for a guy who actually could have been there at 18. No one had him as a top 14 guy. It’s just dumb.
ChipotleWest
Veteran

Post#18 » by ChipotleWest » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:30 pm

Harry Garris wrote:I'm always a little skeptical with these reports that teams turned down a ton of stuff for a late lottery pick. Especially when multiple teams in a row supposedly did this is a draft that at least on the popular level wasn't super highly regarded at the time.

Cuban says it in this interview "we did everything we could to trade up for Haliburton"

Read on Twitter

You're misinterpreting my thread that this is new information, this information has been out there for a long time, long before Brunson was ever a Knick. Your conspiracy theories are wrong.

Here's an article from 2022

The Mavericks "aggressively tried to trade up" but found no takers for their offer of Brunson and picks No. 18 and No. 31 overall, per MacMahon.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10033896-nba-rumors-mavs-tried-to-trade-jalen-brunson-picks-to-draft-tyrese-haliburton
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:

They tried several teams and couldn't get any takers.

For Brunson who's close to top 5 in MVP voting this season. :lol:

Nobody knew that then though, he was averaging 8 ppg that season.

Take it with a grain of salt, because Bob Voulgaris is a snake oil salesman, but he said in a previous interview that they potentially had a deal in place with Detroit, but Detroit wouldn’t agree to adding a protection making the deal dependent on Haliburton still being on the board when the pick came up.

Brunson was already winning games for you guys when Doncic was sitting, and his +/- on-off of +4.5 was not only positive that season it was more than Luka's.

It's a mystery to me why the Mavs didn't recognize what they had in Jalen, especially for a team so keen on analytics. They must have somehow convinced themselves he wasn't what they needed next to Luka when the analytics have consistently shown the Mavs play well with Brunson on the floor with or without Doncic.
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#20 » by DaGawd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:53 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:Speaking of Brunson. I have him in my Fantasy Basketball Team in a keeper league, where we can keep 2.

morant can’t be trusted… on or off the court lol
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to The General Board