Does Embiid have Bell’s Palsy??

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

LuisArMo73
Ballboy
And1: 28

Re: Does Embiid have Bell’s Palsy?? 

Post#61 » by LuisArMo73 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 pm

og15 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
og15 wrote:Well, I wouldn't say that as a blanket statement. Some things medical professionals do diagnose from a distance, just depends on what it is. Telehealth is more of a thing now, more so since COVID, sometimes you'll video chat a patient and discuss things, just depends on what.

A palsy can definitely be observed (I would say this vs diagnosed in this case) from a distance, now figuring out the why and such would require more intimate interaction.

All true. But there is a code that you don’t diagnose from a distance…meaning you’ve never examined or questioned the patient yourself.

There’s a whole movement to counter this in extreme cases, it’s called Duty to Warn.

We should differ between diagnosing someone as in giving them actual medical advice vs talking about what a person who is already in the care of competent medical professionals might have.

The first one you want to avoid so that you're not putting people in danger by having them try to treat something they may or may not have, etc, or thinking something is mild when it is not. The later is not directing anyone in medical care.

AleksandarN wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:He shouldn't be playing.

Exactly.

Where are you guys getting this from? Bells palsy won't get worse because you're playing basketball. Now, it can certainly affect his play in terms of getting dry eyes and blurry vision, but no, not exactly lol

Bell's Palsy is treated with steroids (prednisone or prednisolone typically), at least in Spain where I work. As far as I know steroids are banned for use during competition in most professional sports (the offseason is another matter), so yes, in theory he shouldn't be playing. Now, I don't know if in the NBA they are or if they have used an alternative treatment, but both of those options should also open room for debate (the first one as steroids have proven to enhance physical performance so they shouldn't be allowed during competition and the second one because then he's likely being undertreated according to medical evidence since most guidelines recommend steroids).

I'm honestly baffled that this isn't more talked about, even by other doctors since they don't specify the treatment he's reciving and the first thing that comes across the mind of almost every doctor in my country when thinking about it is steroids.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,304

Post#62 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:18 pm

That’s so rough. I’ve been trying to figure out what it is with him for the past couple of games. With the only one eye blinking, and it looked like he was speaking a bit funny (though that was harder to tell). That has to be so debilitating mentally/emotionally. I commend him for what he’s doing.

Stress can also be the impetus/trigger for Bell’s palsy. Again, how challenging it must be to have so much riding on you — your knee clearly isn’t 100%, and fans waiting in the wings to call you soft or injury prone, perhaps your own self-imposed standards. Wishing for a speedy recovery for him.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,229

Post#63 » by jkvonny » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:19 pm

vi3t wrote:
jkvonny wrote:Get well!

Yup! I think its the Bells Pallsy
I had the same thing many years ago. One of those weird conditions that just hit you for some unknown reason. Have no idea why and how I caught it. It wasnt fun, my left eye was burning due to dryness and irritation ( my eye stayed open and didn't blink). I had to wear an eyepatch with eye ointment, looked like a pirate. I had to drink with a straw, because food and water would drip out of my mouth. Half of your facial muscles are frozen. It cleared away a few weeks later. with meds that my doctor prescribed me at the time. It was so odd, my face was locked up on one side. We thought I had a stroke or something, went to the doctor. I they ran some tests on me.

Mr Embiid will be alright.

Some good videos.

Same, I only noticed something was wrong when water kept dripping out my mouth, doctor prescribed me prednisone and I was fine in a week. Some speculate it could be from the same family of viruses that of the chicken pox which I believe because my brother got chicken pox the same time

Interesting! Yes. I remember having a nasty cold sore on my lip about a month prior to the Bells Palsy. Thats part of the herpes simplex family, right? IDK what caused that cold sore but eventually went away.
Also, they prescribed me the same thing for Bells Palsy. Prednisone steroid pills.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,367

Post#64 » by Heat3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:39 pm

vi3t wrote:
jkvonny wrote:Get well!

Yup! I think its the Bells Pallsy
I had the same thing many years ago. One of those weird conditions that just hit you for some unknown reason. Have no idea why and how I caught it. It wasnt fun, my left eye was burning due to dryness and irritation ( my eye stayed open and didn't blink). I had to wear an eyepatch with eye ointment, looked like a pirate. I had to drink with a straw, because food and water would drip out of my mouth. Half of your facial muscles are frozen. It cleared away a few weeks later. with meds that my doctor prescribed me at the time. It was so odd, my face was locked up on one side. We thought I had a stroke or something, went to the doctor. I they ran some tests on me.

Mr Embiid will be alright.

Some good videos.

Same, I only noticed something was wrong when water kept dripping out my mouth, doctor prescribed me prednisone and I was fine in a week. Some speculate it could be from the same family of viruses that of the chicken pox which I believe because my brother got chicken pox the same time

Same here. Woke up and was washing my mouth and started drooling. It went away in a week or so with prednisone. Dr said I may have been sick but I never felt it. I taped my eyelid shut for a few days when I was sleeping. Other than that it didn’t really impact much.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,388

Post#65 » by og15 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:43 pm

LuisArMo73 wrote:
og15 wrote:
SNPA wrote:All true. But there is a code that you don’t diagnose from a distance…meaning you’ve never examined or questioned the patient yourself.

There’s a whole movement to counter this in extreme cases, it’s called Duty to Warn.

We should differ between diagnosing someone as in giving them actual medical advice vs talking about what a person who is already in the care of competent medical professionals might have.

The first one you want to avoid so that you're not putting people in danger by having them try to treat something they may or may not have, etc, or thinking something is mild when it is not. The later is not directing anyone in medical care.

AleksandarN wrote:Exactly.

Where are you guys getting this from? Bells palsy won't get worse because you're playing basketball. Now, it can certainly affect his play in terms of getting dry eyes and blurry vision, but no, not exactly lol

Bell's Palsy is treated with steroids (prednisone or prednisolone typically), at least in Spain where I work. As far as I know steroids are banned for use during competition in most professional sports (the offseason is another matter), so yes, in theory he shouldn't be playing. Now, I don't know if in the NBA they are or if they have used an alternative treatment, but both of those options should also open room for debate (the first one as steroids have proven to enhance physical performance so they shouldn't be allowed during competition and the second one because then he's likely being undertreated according to medical evidence since most guidelines recommend steroids).

I'm honestly baffled that this isn't more talked about, even by other doctors since they don't specify the treatment he's reciving and the first thing that comes across the mind of almost every doctor in my country when thinking about it is steroids.

Good point, love it. I can't factually answer any of those questions as I'm not on the inside of any of this. I can give you my guess.

I do believe that the NBA like other sports competition organizations have medical exemptions for use of corticosteroids. Steroids are used in treatment of asthma too for example, as well as some autoimmune diseases, so I'm pretty sure there's exemptions made for health vs a player just taking something for a performance boost.

If other sports organizations do it, it would be odd that the NBA would be like sorry guy with IBS, allergies or asthma, you can't play.

While players medical records are made available based on sports related injuries, the doctors aren't supposed to publicly tell everyone about everything players are being treated with. They would report to the NBA and ask for exemptions as needed though.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,030

Post#66 » by UcanUwill » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:If Bell’s Palsy makes you score 50, then it’s a good thing?

Did Embiid just outdo A Flu game?

But seriously, I agree with people saying that it is getting ridiculous that he is still let to be on the court.
Have no idea how this could even occur, but I assume the high fose of medication?
LuisArMo73
Ballboy
And1: 28

Post#67 » by LuisArMo73 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:31 pm

og15 wrote:
LuisArMo73 wrote:
og15 wrote:We should differ between diagnosing someone as in giving them actual medical advice vs talking about what a person who is already in the care of competent medical professionals might have.

Good point, love it. I can't factually answer any of those questions as I'm not on the inside of any of this. I can give you my guess.

I do believe that the NBA like other sports competition organizations have medical exemptions for use of corticosteroids. Steroids are used in treatment of asthma too for example, as well as some autoimmune diseases, so I'm pretty sure there's exemptions made for health vs a player just taking something for a performance boost.

If other sports organizations do it, it would be odd that the NBA would be like sorry guy with IBS, allergies or asthma, you can't play.

While players medical records are made available based on sports related injuries, the doctors aren't supposed to publicly tell everyone about everything players are being treated with. They would report to the NBA and ask for exemptions as needed though.

Yeah, I cannot give a definitive answer either, since I don't know the inner working of the NBA, that's why I would love if someone who knew about it could clarify a little about it. Obviously, the doctors who gave him treatment won't tell (they could be sued), what I wonder is why I haven't seen anybody outside questioning it.

Thing with steroids is, it depends on the route of administration since only systemic steroids have a physical enhancing benefit. So pathologies like asthma, treated with inhaled steroids, which don't reach the blood or do so in very little amounts, are allowed. Also, the prohibition is only during competition, that's why many injured athletes get cortisone shots and it's not a deal. The WADA actually has a list with every drug prohibited and details like this. You can check it out here: https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/2023-09/2024list_en_final_22_september_2023.pdf

In cases with pathologies like allergies or IBS that need systemic steroids what usually happens is that if the flare is severe enough that they need steroids, they probably cannot play at that moment, and since corticosteroids have a very short clearance time (like 3 days) by the time they are ready to play they should be outside the prohibition window.

Problem I see with Embiid's case is that standard treatment is high dose of prednisone (we are talking 5-10 times usual dose for a pathology like rheumatoid arthritis) during at least a week if not more. So if he's taking it, it's for sure enhancing his physical performance, assuming he started after the play-in game, for at least 3 games.

Now, I agree with you that the NBA is most likely aware and there's some kind of exemption being issued, (specially since nobody seems to be reacting to the possibility), what I'm not sure is if it's something that should be allowed considering the benefit likely outweighs the cons in sports in this particular case (enhanced performance, which by the way probably improves his knee condition, with a trade-off that consists of drooling, tearing, reduced feeling sensation and pain in half your face at worst). If it was the Olympics I would say he most likely wouldn't be able to play right now and would have to wait for treatment to end.

PS: his behavior last game could also be explained by high dose corticosteroids, since one of its side effectes consists on higher irritability and mania/hypomania, both of which might have to do with his reckless play.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,985

Post#68 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:00 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

I lol’d at this random tweet. It makes me think of Frankenstein. All these injections and treatments to patch this guy together… and he’s still a monster and drops 50.

I'm going to assume the only way the Sixers medical staff caught this is they read your post, given their suspect history.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,542

Post#69 » by zzaj » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 pm

LuisArMo73 wrote:
og15 wrote:
SNPA wrote:All true. But there is a code that you don’t diagnose from a distance…meaning you’ve never examined or questioned the patient yourself.

AleksandarN wrote:Exactly.

Came here to ask the same thing...

I had a bout of Bells Palsy about 15 years ago, and yeah, the research points to it being an autoimmune reaction and Prednisone is typically the treatment. If caught within a certain time window (I think 24-48 hrs) the steroid has shown an ability to shorten its span.

I don't think the prednisone dosage would be enough to actually enhance physical performance, but I'm sure it would show up on a drug test. Does the NBA have special dispensations for these types of situations?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,636

Post#70 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 pm

SNPA wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:
SNPA wrote:This Dr has examined him?

No he hasn't. Brian is legit the real deal. He is almost always right and my go to when I concerned about player injuries. He knows his stuff.

Good info. I take him serious. He could absolutely be right.

Dr.s don’t diagnose from a distance though.

This isn't a super hard thing to diagnose. Obviously, their are hands on tests they'd want to do, but one look and any doctor would jump right to those tests.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,985

Post#71 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:05 pm

zzaj wrote:
LuisArMo73 wrote:
og15 wrote:We should differ between diagnosing someone as in giving them actual medical advice vs talking about what a person who is already in the care of competent medical professionals might have.

Came here to ask the same thing...

I had a bout of Bells Palsy about 15 years ago, and yeah, the research points to it being an autoimmune reaction and Prednisone is typically the treatment. If caught within a certain time window (I think 24-48 hrs) the steroid has shown an ability to shorten its span.

I don't think the prednisone dosage would be enough to actually enhance physical performance, but I'm sure it would show up on a drug test. Does the NBA have special dispensations for these types of situations?

Nope, but they don't test during the playoffs. It should also help his knee coincidently.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#72 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:06 pm

og15 wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:I know how hard it would be to essentially give up on the season but between seeing him hobbling up & down, wearing shades everywhere and now half his face isn’t responding…especially with how incredibly unlikely he is to make all the way through a championship run - at some point you gotta look out for the player the way a corner looks out for a boxer.

I'm not aware of any contraindications to physical activity because of Bell's Palsy. It self resolves, just takes time which differs from person to person, but I can't imagine why it would contribute to a reason to shut a player down.

If you can't close your eye, that would be a scratch concern (and a big one btw). But if he's not impacting his eye...no reason at all.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#73 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
JT3000 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Let’s all play nice in this thread please. Serious accusation has been made, but it’s not a permanent conditions usually.

It's a health condition, not an "accusation."

lol, semantics much? People are accusing Embiid of having it. So yes, it's an accusation and the balls in Embiids court to confirm or deny.

Accusation - a charge or claim that someone has done something illegal or wrong.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,969

Post#74 » by Exp0sed » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 pm

levon wrote:That sucks. Get well soon, Embiitch

i'm going with the bolded nickname as well from now on, after last night
JT3000
Bench Warmer
And1: 239

Post#75 » by JT3000 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:26 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
JT3000 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Let’s all play nice in this thread please. Serious accusation has been made, but it’s not a permanent conditions usually.

lol, semantics much? People are accusing Embiid of having it. So yes, it's an accusation and the balls in Embiids court to confirm or deny.

It's not semantics. I can't relate to this bizarre mindset you have that medical conditions are something that requires a denial. A normal person might accuse someone of committing a crime, but not of having a medical condition. Do you think hospitals are just comfier prisons? :-?

Regardless of whether or not he actually has the condition in question, he doesn't owe the public an explanation one way or the other, no matter how many times you "accuse" him.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,920

Post#76 » by Fo-Real » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 pm

CodeBreaker wrote:So he ain't playing in the Olympics, I guess?

It will go away with treatment and time.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 726

Post#77 » by UglyBugBall » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 pm

JT3000 wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
JT3000 wrote:

It's not semantics. I can't relate to this bizarre mindset you have that medical conditions are something that requires a denial. A normal person might accuse someone of committing a crime, but not of having a medical condition. Do you think hospitals are just comfier prisons? :-?

Regardless of whether or not he actually has the condition in question, he doesn't owe the public an explanation one way or the other, no matter how many times you "accuse" him.

Does he wanna be known as someone with pallsy or not? Yeah, it's an accusation, I sure as hell wouldn't want that to be known in the public sphere. It's not his fault he got it, but it's out there now so it's on him to address it.
JT3000
Bench Warmer
And1: 239

Post#78 » by JT3000 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 am

UglyBugBall wrote:
JT3000 wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:

Does he wanna be known as someone with pallsy or not? Yeah, it's an accusation, I sure as hell wouldn't want that to be known in the public sphere. It's not his fault he got it, but it's out there now so it's on him to address it.

What do you have against people with Bell's palsy, since you obviously think it's such a shameful condition to have? :-?
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 726

Post#79 » by UglyBugBall » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:57 am

JT3000 wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:
JT3000 wrote:

What do you have against people with Bell's palsy, since you obviously think it's such a shameful condition to have? :-?

There's nothing wrong with it, but in my country at least you dont want people judging you based on the health conditions you have. It can have repercussions. So although it's not your fault you have it, you don't want people knowing. Here anyway idk about the us.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#80 » by eyeatoma » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 am

LuisArMo73 wrote:
og15 wrote:
LuisArMo73 wrote:

Yeah, I cannot give a definitive answer either, since I don't know the inner working of the NBA, that's why I would love if someone who knew about it could clarify a little about it. Obviously, the doctors who gave him treatment won't tell (they could be sued), what I wonder is why I haven't seen anybody outside questioning it.

Thing with steroids is, it depends on the route of administration since only systemic steroids have a physical enhancing benefit. So pathologies like asthma, treated with inhaled steroids, which don't reach the blood or do so in very little amounts, are allowed. Also, the prohibition is only during competition, that's why many injured athletes get cortisone shots and it's not a deal. The WADA actually has a list with every drug prohibited and details like this. You can check it out here: https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/2023-09/2024list_en_final_22_september_2023.pdf

In cases with pathologies like allergies or IBS that need systemic steroids what usually happens is that if the flare is severe enough that they need steroids, they probably cannot play at that moment, and since corticosteroids have a very short clearance time (like 3 days) by the time they are ready to play they should be outside the prohibition window.

Problem I see with Embiid's case is that standard treatment is high dose of prednisone (we are talking 5-10 times usual dose for a pathology like rheumatoid arthritis) during at least a week if not more. So if he's taking it, it's for sure enhancing his physical performance, assuming he started after the play-in game, for at least 3 games.

Now, I agree with you that the NBA is most likely aware and there's some kind of exemption being issued, (specially since nobody seems to be reacting to the possibility), what I'm not sure is if it's something that should be allowed considering the benefit likely outweighs the cons in sports in this particular case (enhanced performance, which by the way probably improves his knee condition, with a trade-off that consists of drooling, tearing, reduced feeling sensation and pain in half your face at worst). If it was the Olympics I would say he most likely wouldn't be able to play right now and would have to wait for treatment to end.

PS: his behavior last game could also be explained by high dose corticosteroids, since one of its side effectes consists on higher irritability and mania/hypomania, both of which might have to do with his reckless play.

Interesting, could they also just not take it, given that it's not allowed? From my understanding it's supposed to naturally go away.

Return to The General Board