Does Embiid have Bell’s Palsy??

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,846

Re: Does Embiid have Bell’s Palsy?? 

Post#21 » by azcatz11 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:08 am

How do we know this wasn’t something more serious? Is that even common to get after trauma?
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,314

Post#22 » by CodeBreaker » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:08 am

So he ain't playing in the Olympics, I guess?
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,143

Post#23 » by Plutonashfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:09 am

SNPA wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:
SNPA wrote:This Dr has examined him?

No he hasn't. Brian is legit the real deal. He is almost always right and my go to when I concerned about player injuries. He knows his stuff.

Good info. I take him serious. He could absolutely be right.

Dr.s don’t diagnose from a distance though.

I get you. Dr Sutter says in every video without examining the patient directly it's all speculative. Like I said his usually spot on. Better then nothing I suppose.
The Champ is HERE!!!
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,387

Post#24 » by og15 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 am

SNPA wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:
SNPA wrote:This Dr has examined him?

No he hasn't. Brian is legit the real deal. He is almost always right and my go to when I concerned about player injuries. He knows his stuff.

Well, I wouldn't say that as a blanket statement. Some things medical professionals do diagnose from a distance, just depends on what it is. Telehealth is more of a thing now, more so since COVID, sometimes you'll video chat a patient and discuss things, just depends on what.

A palsy can definitely be observed (I would say this vs diagnosed in this case) from a distance, now figuring out the why and such would require more intimate interaction.
WentzerWuver
Pro Prospect
And1: 270

Post#25 » by WentzerWuver » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 am

JT3000 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Let’s all play nice in this thread please. Serious accusation has been made, but it’s not a permanent conditions usually.

It's a health condition, not an "accusation."
It better not be otherwise this thread needs to be banned!
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,820

Post#26 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 am

He just did that weird blink at the FT line..
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,387

Post#27 » by og15 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:26 am

PhilBlackson wrote:I know how hard it would be to essentially give up on the season but between seeing him hobbling up & down, wearing shades everywhere and now half his face isn’t responding…especially with how incredibly unlikely he is to make all the way through a championship run - at some point you gotta look out for the player the way a corner looks out for a boxer.

I'm not aware of any contraindications to physical activity because of Bell's Palsy. It self resolves, just takes time which differs from person to person, but I can't imagine why it would contribute to a reason to shut a player down.
genius-
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,188

Post#28 » by genius- » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:30 am

Yeah looks like he has it.

Should hopefully go away after some time, though some don't fully heal until after a year or so.

Shouldn't affect him playing though.

Sent from my SM-S918W using RealGM mobile app
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,417

Post#29 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:39 am

og15 wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:I know how hard it would be to essentially give up on the season but between seeing him hobbling up & down, wearing shades everywhere and now half his face isn’t responding…especially with how incredibly unlikely he is to make all the way through a championship run - at some point you gotta look out for the player the way a corner looks out for a boxer.

I'm not aware of any contraindications to physical activity because of Bell's Palsy. It self resolves, just takes time which differs from person to person, but I can't imagine why it would contribute to a reason to shut a player down.

Personally I’m not hypothesizing that’s what he has, I just think he’s so drugged up & pumped full of shots that I’m not sure what the side effects might be. But that aside, sometimes just watching him run makes you wanna cringe, like that knee can just buckle any second now. The whole thing just doesn’t feel right imo but whatever…I genuinely wish him best of luck even if I think it’s a bit of a foolish endeavour considering how unlikely it is to net the result he’s risking it all for.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,949

Post#30 » by Jabroni Lames » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:43 am

If Bell’s Palsy makes you score 50, then it’s a good thing?
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,300

Post#31 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 am

og15 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
Plutonashfan wrote:No he hasn't. Brian is legit the real deal. He is almost always right and my go to when I concerned about player injuries. He knows his stuff.

Well, I wouldn't say that as a blanket statement. Some things medical professionals do diagnose from a distance, just depends on what it is. Telehealth is more of a thing now, more so since COVID, sometimes you'll video chat a patient and discuss things, just depends on what.

A palsy can definitely be observed (I would say this vs diagnosed in this case) from a distance, now figuring out the why and such would require more intimate interaction.

All true. But there is a code that you don’t diagnose from a distance…meaning you’ve never examined or questioned the patient yourself.

There’s a whole movement to counter this in extreme cases, it’s called Duty to Warn.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,163

Post#32 » by heatwillbeback » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:05 am

I remember commenting on how he looked so uninterested and mopey the fast few games. Hes looked miserable out there.

Now because of some random reason, I feel bad :lol:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,954

Post#33 » by jayu70 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:06 am

Read on Twitter
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,515

Post#34 » by GoBobs » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 am

The name Bells' Palsy makes it sound like something terrible that you don't want to catch, but it is actually nothing to worry about and goes away on its own most of the time.

If you are worried somebody might have Bell's Palsy, that is what you hope they have. The other stuff that causes facial asymmetry is actually the bad stuff.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,300

Post#35 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:15 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

There we have it. Confirmed by medical professionals.

Carry on.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,028

Post#36 » by JustBuzzin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:21 am

Slacktard wrote:I wonder if whatever he's being injected with as a painkiller is doing something cuz he hasn't looked right beyond the running/jumping, but in the expressions and stuff he makes.

You telling me he has a serious medical condition, 1 leg, 1 eye, and he's still putting up a 50 piece and a extra side of side eye? :o

Embiid is really HIM!
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,820

Post#37 » by OkcSinceSGA » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:24 am

Read on Twitter

I lol’d at this random tweet. It makes me think of Frankenstein. All these injections and treatments to patch this guy together… and he’s still a monster and drops 50.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 620

Post#38 » by Chokic » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:25 am

Maybe side effect from the injections? Sixers should do the right thing to shut him down and let him properly heal for next season. Instead they're willing to jeopardize his health and career to try to win a futile chip this season. Sixers organization doesn't deserve him. That franchise is cursed.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,515

Post#39 » by GoBobs » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:28 am

azcatz11 wrote:How do we know this wasn’t something more serious? Is that even common to get after trauma?

The simple answer is if you cannot move half your face including your forehead, that is less worrisome, because it implies inflammation of the facial nerve after it has exited the skull. Can be caused by a virus (usually very temp) or a hit to the area.

If you cannot move half your face and the forehead muscles still work on both sides, that is bad because it implies a problem inside the skull (stroke, brain tumor, MS, ect) Those things are rare except stroke, and that is rare for someone as young as Embiid.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,846

Post#40 » by azcatz11 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 am

GoBobs wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:How do we know this wasn’t something more serious? Is that even common to get after trauma?

The simple answer is if you cannot move half your face including your forehead, that is less worrisome, because it implies inflammation of the facial nerve after it has exited the skull. Can be caused by a virus (usually very temp) or a hit to the area.

If you cannot move half your face and the forehead muscles still work on both sides, that is bad because it implies a problem inside the skull (stroke, brain tumor, MS, ect) Those things are rare except stroke, and that is rare for someone as young as Embiid.

Thanks for clarifying. I’m a hypochondriac and always assume the worst.

Return to The General Board