Knicks fans taking over Philadelphia

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,467

Knicks fans taking over Philadelphia 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 pm

I don't want to blame the good fans of Philadelphia, but yesterday was kind of embarrassing for the home team. What should be a big playoff game (Embiid won't last forever) and at times you heard louder pro NYK chants (kudos to the Knicks fans for the passion).

Is there anything the Sixers could have done to prevent this or it's simply a case of too many Knicks fans living in Philly/Travelling and being more willing to buy tickets?

And yeah, the playoffs are better with the Knicks in.
60/21/10
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,515

Re: Knicks fans taking over Philadelphia 

Post#2 » by Rendei » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:13 pm

As a Bucks fan who is very familiar with the good people of Chicago, I saw this coming a mile away. And it'll be even worse this year because that fanbase is very, very hungry.

The Bucks did a bunch of stuff to insure that Bucks fans got the first chance to buy tickets when they played the Bulls in the playoffs last time. It helped a little, but you can't truly stop a tide like that.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,453

Post#3 » by cgf » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:14 pm

It'll probably be worse for game 4.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,239

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:15 pm

I noticed the knicks fans too. Very loud.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,387

Post#5 » by og15 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:28 pm

Places are very close and tickets are quite easy to get, Philly would have to specifically limit the tickets to non Sixers fans somehow to prevent this.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,454

Post#6 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:32 pm

I don't see anything wrong with that.

The cities are relatively close, the Knicks have a huge fanbase, and the fans are hungry for some playoff success... that's basically a recipe for what happened and will happen a lot down the line.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,955

Post#7 » by Sofia » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:32 pm

BING BONG
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,947

Post#8 » by Chuck Everett » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:33 pm

Sixers tickets are so much cheaper than Knicks tickets. The cheapest tickets I saw before Game 3 were 62 bucks. For the Knicks before Game 1 and 2, $283. Even with a train ticket down to Philly, you still come out ahead. Like cgf said, it will be worse on Sunday afternoon.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
cgf
RealGM

Post#9 » by cgf » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:43 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Sixers tickets are so much cheaper than Knicks tickets. The cheapest tickets I saw before Game 3 were 62 bucks. For the Knicks before Game 1 and 2, $283. Even with a train ticket down to Philly, you still come out ahead. Like cgf said, it will be worse on Sunday afternoon.

Yeah. I drove up to Milwaukee for the IST game because it was cheaper than going to see the Knicks when they come to Chicago. I imagine it's a very similar dynamic with NYC-based Knicks fan and nearby towns like Philly.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,253

Post#10 » by QingJames » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:07 pm

Sixers have the worst fanbase in the league aside from the Heat, so this is not surprising to me.

EDIT: Sorry, I am mistaken. The Raptors have the worst fanbase in the league. I just know that to be so intrinsically true, that I really forgot to say "worst fanbase in the league out of the teams that aren't the Raptors."
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,690

Post#11 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:08 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Sixers tickets are so much cheaper than Knicks tickets. The cheapest tickets I saw before Game 3 were 62 bucks. For the Knicks before Game 1 and 2, $283. Even with a train ticket down to Philly, you still come out ahead. Like cgf said, it will be worse on Sunday afternoon.

That's exactly the problem, and to a lesser extent so many Villanova players and guys from the Philly area playing for the Knicks. Villanova Knicks, with the inflated price of everything in NYC and the close proximity to Philadelphia creates a unique environment for this sort of thing to happen. You have Knicks fans that could NEVER acquire a playoff ticket more than happy to travel 90 minutes to Philly for a ticket that is more accessible.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,467

Post#12 » by Dirk » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with that.

The cities are relatively close, the Knicks have a huge fanbase, and the fans are hungry for some playoff success... that's basically a recipe for what happened and will happen a lot down the line.

If this were to happen in a Corinthians vs. Palmeiras or Flamengo vs Fluminense game... how many people would be sent to hospital and how military policemen would you need to control the crowd?
60/21/10
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,408

Post#13 » by MrGoat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:31 pm

I'm not too familiar with northeastern geography but I still strongly suspect that geography is a big part of it
Hatrick Ewing
Junior
And1: 434

Post#14 » by Hatrick Ewing » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 pm

It'd be a bummer to make that trip and then witness what I've seen described most often so far as "the groin game" due to Embiid's nut hunting overshadowing his 50 point game, but maybe some of them will be in town for the next game as well.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,641

Post#15 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 pm

I was at the game last night and my favorite moment was when this guy in the Embiid jersey arrived and said, “wtf, I got placed in the Knicks section?!”

To be fair though, the Knicks have been doing this all season throughout various arenas. The Sixers fans did show up too.
cgf
RealGM

Post#16 » by cgf » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:56 pm

Dirk wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:I don't see anything wrong with that.

If this were to happen in a Corinthians vs. Palmeiras or Flamengo vs Fluminense game... how many people would be sent to hospital and how military policemen would you need to control the crowd?

There's a reason that US sports don't separate the visitors section from the homestands lol. People go to NBA games to be entertained, not to support their team. There's no comparing the energy...even the garden at it's peak in games 1 & 2 was more comparable to a generic Bundesliga match than an intense derby.

Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#17 » by Tony Franciosa » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:23 pm

Cockroaches. And F the Sixer season ticket holders who sold to these scum.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,648

Post#18 » by DaGawd » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:29 pm

Tony Franciosa wrote:Cockroaches. And F the Sixer season ticket holders who sold to these scum.

see you sunday at game 4 8-)
BaF
Washington Wizards
cgf
RealGM

Post#19 » by cgf » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:29 pm

Tony Franciosa wrote:Cockroaches. And F the Sixer season ticket holders who sold to these scum.

This is a perfectly healthy way to talk about human beings that choose a slightly different source of entertainment. Stay classy & good luck on Sunday :lol:

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,881

Post#20 » by HotelVitale » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:07 pm

MrGoat wrote:I'm not too familiar with northeastern geography but I still strongly suspect that geography is a big part of it

Yeah it's an old man thread, it's not like the Sixers fans didn't want to go to the game or that they don't show up usually. Sixers have good attendance and no one's ever criticized the fans' intensity (if anything it's the opposite).

New York is 60 miles from Philly, and there's basically no separation between the suburbs of one and those of the other. Knicks fans bought tickets because there's millions of them and it was very easy to get to the game, good for them but not like Sixers fans were like 'oh no we don't want tickets, please give them to the Knickerbocker supporters.'

Return to The General Board