New era. Out with the old, in with the new.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Hair Jordan
Sophomore
And1: 477

New era. Out with the old, in with the new. 

Post#1 » by Hair Jordan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 am

Playoff games won this year:

Lebron - 0
Durant - 0
Curry - 0
Kawhi - 0
AD - 0
Klay -0
Draymond - 0

Time for these bums to retire.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,161

Re: New era. Out with the old, in with the new. 

Post#2 » by DonaldSanders » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 am

Good threads started by Hair Jordan:

xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,627

Post#3 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

DonaldSanders wrote:Good threads started by Hair Jordan:

The topic could be interesting, but yea, the tone of this thread is meant to ruin discussion.
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,329

Post#4 » by Dubnation » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:41 am

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,272

Post#5 » by Clemenza » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 am

This is exactly what's happening.
CpttCanada
Junior
And1: 331

Post#6 » by CpttCanada » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 am

If you read between the lines it is exciting to see the passing of the torch. I'm excited for an NBA without LeBron and a new era, aren't the rest of you?
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,312

Post#7 » by lambchop » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:12 am

No need for them to retire. They're still better than 90% of the NBA, they're just no longer game changers. None of them can turn it up they used to. However, they've earned the right to continue accumulating stats, cash, accolades etc.

I sure it pains them to lose and slowly fade into irrelevance, but it's probably still a fun job and it's cool to travel around the country, do interviews and compete against the best players in the world.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see who the last remaining player of the 2000s will be. Out of that 2009 draft we've still got Curry, Derozan and Harden. I doubt LBJ can outlast all of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,603

Post#8 » by Baz » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:32 am

Kyrie - 2 8-)
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,877

Post#9 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:38 am

I mean we didn't need 2-3 play-off games to find this out tbh. Look at the guys receiving MVP votes this season and how old they are:

Nikola Jokic - 29
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - 25
Luka Doncic - 25
Giannis Antetokounmpo - 29
Jayson Tatum - 26
Anthony Edwards - 22
Jalen Brunson - 27

But on the other hand AD, KD and Kawhi are going to make 2nd team All-NBA as well, while Curry and LeBron are in the running for 3rd team spots. Dray's not really an All-NBA or All-Star type guy at this point in his career but he's still a valuable contributor as well. It's only Klay among those mentioned that should probably call it quits.
web123888
Freshman
And1: 53

Post#10 » by web123888 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

It’s a young man’s sport. LeBron, Durant, Curry and Kawhi overtaken by the younger and fresher next generation. Just the way it works.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,027

Post#11 » by JN61 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 am

Who can we throw under the bus to blame Lakers losses? Also Nick Wrong might need be kept away from the high places.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,027

Post#12 » by JN61 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:27 am

Dutchball97 wrote:I mean we didn't need 2-3 play-off games to find this out tbh. Look at the guys receiving MVP votes this season and how old they are:

Nikola Jokic - 29
Luka Doncic - 25
Jayson Tatum - 26
Anthony Edwards - 22
Jalen Brunson - 27

But on the other hand AD, KD and Kawhi are going to make 2nd team All-NBA as well, while Curry and LeBron are in the running for 3rd team spots. Dray's not really an All-NBA or All-Star type guy at this point in his career but he's still a valuable contributor as well. It's only Klay among those mentioned that should probably call it quits.

The winner of unklutch award in the 3rd team? Guy who didn't even make the playoffs? NBA is total inbred circus if he is even qualified for votes.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Hair Jordan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:28 am

:lol:
DonaldSanders wrote:Good threads started by Hair Jordan:

Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,877

Post#14 » by Dutchball97 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 am

JN61 wrote:
Dutchball97 wrote:I mean we didn't need 2-3 play-off games to find this out tbh. Look at the guys receiving MVP votes this season and how old they are:

Nikola Jokic - 29
Luka Doncic - 25
Jayson Tatum - 26
Anthony Edwards - 22
Jalen Brunson - 27

The winner of unklutch award in the 3rd team? Guy who didn't even make the playoffs? NBA is total inbred circus if he is even qualified for votes.

I'm basing this off these claims off the NBA awards vote tracker, Sure things can change but looking at the confirmed and fully filled out ballots so far Curry is 3rd team on 9 out of 10 with him being 2nd team on the remaining ballot. Me saying him and LeBron are in the running for 3rd team is an understatement if anything because they're both almost certainly making it.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,476

Post#15 » by shi-woo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:14 pm

I love the bitter GSW fan trying to act like this isn't a letit topic :lol: All we need are the LeBron stans to come out of hiing and we might have ourselves a thread!

This is legit though, and worth talking about if you're a basketball historian.. I made a thread about this months ago, but the NBA since it's conception has been dominated by only 2-3 players for. It usually is seen in 10 year stretches, with a 2-4 yer gap between Old/New where the old era can either win some titles and hold on, or some random team can win it in the murkiness.

1980-90-

You essentially had Bird and Magic run the league winning 8 of those rings, and probably more if neither had career ending injuries Pistons filled the void in the gap years when both got hurt and MJ was still building up, and you had the one random 76ers title thrown in there.

The new guard of Jordon finally broke through and beat the old guys, the passing of the torch from Magic to Jordan

1990-98

The MJ era obviously, with Hakeem playing his part as well. Again the 2 best players of the generation coming in and just dominating the games that mattered most.

The old guard couldn't do anything, old Knicks losing to new Duncan

1999-2011

Kobe, Duncan and Shaq era. Those dudes won 10 of those rings, and you see the old guard hang and win the gap years. Dirk winning in 2011 was the first, and then Duncan again out of nowhere with the Spurs.

As a basketball armchair historian this is an interesting time in basketball, because most people consider it the LeBron years, but could it really be if the old guard held out for 2 of those 4 gap years? You could argue the old era help on till 2014, which is insane.

2012-20222

LeBron and Steph. How LeBron fan must hate Steph Curry :lol: The old guard held out longer than expected, and then Steph came out of nowhere as the generational rival. They won 9 titles between them in this time, and played in every single finals in that time period outside of 1 because of injuries.

The gap years saw LeBron and Steph steal titles they shouldn't have but did because the young guys weren't ready, and Giannis came out and won his ring like Kawhi, Dirk, Dr J, and KG before him.

Now we are in the present, and only history will tell how we will write it. As you can see above, this is usually a 10 year dominance, so we could easily see ourselves doing 2021-2030- The Jokic v Giannis years", which is what I think it would be, and we'll see if a 3rd tar will be able to break through like Luka or Tatum or SGA. But history shows us that last year was the changing of guard year, and this is now Giannis' and Jokic's league now matter how bad the media wants you to believe otherwise.

I could be wrong, I could be overthinking it, but I recognize patters, and this is one of the more clearer ones in the NBA. The 2-3 best players in the league typically dominate for a 10 year stretch, period. It's why titles like Dirks and the Pistons and even the 76ers are considered so great, because they were able to break the mold.

Changing of the guard happened in 2021 with Giannis, and i'm here for it. Betting against either Jokic or Giannis at this point would be betting against history
Genjuro
Sixth Man
And1: 223

Post#16 » by Genjuro » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

shi-woo wrote:I love the bitter GSW fan trying to act like this isn't a letit topic :lol: All we need are the LeBron stans to come out of hiing and we might have ourselves a thread!

This is legit though, and worth talking about if you're a basketball historian.. I made a thread about this months ago, but the NBA since it's conception has been dominated by only 2-3 players for. It usually is seen in 10 year stretches, with a 2-4 yer gap between Old/New where the old era can either win some titles and hold on, or some random team can win it in the murkiness.

1980-90-

You essentially had Bird and Magic run the league winning 8 of those rings, and probably more if neither had career ending injuries Pistons filled the void in the gap years when both got hurt and MJ was still building up, and you had the one random 76ers title thrown in there.

The new guard of Jordon finally broke through and beat the old guys, the passing of the torch from Magic to Jordan

1990-98

The MJ era obviously, with Hakeem playing his part as well. Again the 2 best players of the generation coming in and just dominating the games that mattered most.

1999-2011

Kobe, Duncan and Shaq era. Those dudes won 10 of those rings, and you see the old guard hang and win the gap years. Dirk winning in 2011 was the first, and then Duncan again out of nowhere with the Spurs.

As a basketball armchair historian this is an interesting time in basketball, because most people consider it the LeBron years, but could it really be if the old guard held out for 2 of those 4 gap years? You could argue the old era help on till 2014, which is insane.

2012-20222

LeBron and Steph. How LeBron fan must hate Steph Curry :lol: The old guard held out longer than expected, and then Steph came out of nowhere as the generational rival. They won 9 titles between them in this time, and played in every single finals in that time period outside of 1 because of injuries.

The gap years saw LeBron and Steph steal titles they shouldn't have but did because the young guys weren't ready, and Giannis came out and won his ring like Kawhi, Dirk, Dr J, and KG before him.

Now we are in the present, and only history will tell how we will write it. As you can see above, this is usually a 10 year dominance, so we could easily see ourselves doing 2021-2030- The Jokic v Giannis years", which is what I think it would be, and we'll see if a 3rd tar will be able to break through like Luka or Tatum or SGA. But history shows us that last year was the changing of guard year, and this is now Giannis' and Jokic's league now matter how bad the media wants you to believe otherwise.

I could be wrong, I could be overthinking it, but I recognize patters, and this is one of the more clearer ones in the NBA. The 2-3 best players in the league typically dominate for a 10 year stretch, period. It's why titles like Dirks and the Pistons and even the 76ers are considered so great, because they were able to break the mold.

Changing of the guard happened in 2021 with Giannis, and i'm here for it. Betting against either Jokic or Giannis at this point would be betting against history

It's very interesting, and it goes beyond those two-three top players. Like the Celtics winning in 2007 led by players from the same generation as Kobe and Duncan. Or Kawhi winning both MVP finals in the gap years of the previous period (younger, yes, but still close enough to Curry), with Durant winning two more for the Warriors.

I don't think that the Lakers would've won in 1989 if Magic stays healthy (or the Celtics for the matter). The Pistons were the better team by then, a real juggernaut.

As for the current era, it's not going to be easy for Giannis to win another title, because that's not happening with the Bucks as they are constructed. For Jokic it will be a lot easier; for starters, he's clearly a better player.

The old guys are not winning anything else as go-to players, that's pretty evident by now, but it was almost as much after last year's playoffs.
ballzboyee
Junior
And1: 408

Post#17 » by ballzboyee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 pm

Lol, Draymond should not be on that list.
Hair Jordan
Sophomore

Post#18 » by Hair Jordan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm

shi-woo wrote:I love the bitter GSW fan trying to act like this isn't a letit topic :lol: All we need are the LeBron stans to come out of hiing and we might have ourselves a thread!

1980-90-

1990-98

1999-2011

2012-20222

Giannis is historically overrated in my opinion. He’s a bully ball player in a league devoid of traditional PF and Centers to stop him. His offensive game is nothing more than traveling, carrying and dunking. He’s useless outside of 10 feet and he even sucks at FT shooting. His numbers would nosedive if he played in the 90’s. He’d be Alonzo Mourning in that era.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,068

Post#19 » by UcanUwill » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm

Nikola Jokic - 29
Luka Doncic - 25
Jayson Tatum - 26
Anthony Edwards - 22
Jalen Brunson - 27

Crazy part is Luka 25. Wasnt it three years ago when he was 16 subbing Maciulis and Llull in Real? Feels like it, but I guess not.

In next "three" years, Cooper Flagg will be 25 and Luka will be washed up... :oops:
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,887

Post#20 » by JShuttlesworth » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 pm

I definitely do feel the turning of the tides this year

Return to The General Board